• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NIL Going Bonkers

Started by VULB#62, April 29, 2023, 11:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

First off, the whole world of NIL is a mystery to me. That said, here is a link to a USA Today article on the $1.4 billion in suits the NCAA is facing regarding athlete earnings and NIL. This monster eventually will, IMO, kill college athletics.

NCAA seeks to short-circuit what it says is $1.4 billion damages claim in athlete lawsuit

New disclosure from association and major conferences means more than $4.2 billion could be at stake in cases connected to name, image, likeness

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2023/04/28/ncaa-says-faces-1-4-billion-damages-antitrust-claim-disputes/11765690002/

This is a problem threatening college athletic programs as we know them. Might one [partial?] approach be something like this?

My Premise:  NIL is the derivative benefit to a scholarship player that results from receiving that scholarship from their college of choice.  Without that scholarship in the first place, there would be no NIL earnings. In addition to being a fully underwritten education, the scholarship is in effect, an earnings subsidy.

The colleges, especially for sports like football and MBB, spend millions on those scholarships. 

My Question:  In order to have some structure and preserve the 'notion' of college athletics, perhaps, after a certain point in NIL earnings, should NIL fees repay the college for that subsidy?

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

SG

Well, it may force the schools to separate football from the NCAA.