• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo89

I just attended the Valpo High School game against Lake Central.
LC is loaded, starting with Glenn Robinson III who is going to Michigan.
But, LC also has a very good sophomore - 6-7 Tyler Wideman. The kid already weighs at least 230. He is smooth around the basket.
Bryce needs to offer him a scholarship now, if he hasn't already. But I think Purdue is after him. Wideman scored 23 against Valpo, and it could have been more if they needed him. I think the final was 62-39.

Crusader03

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM
I just attended the Valpo High School game against Lake Central.
LC is loaded, starting with Glenn Robinson III who is going to Michigan.
But, LC also has a very good sophomore - 6-7 Tyler Wideman. The kid already weighs at least 230. He is smooth around the basket.
Bryce needs to offer him a scholarship now, if he hasn't already. But I think Purdue is after him. Wideman scored 23 against Valpo, and it could have been more if they needed him. I think the final was 62-39.

He has a Purdue offer and is being pursued by most of the Big Ten.  He would be a great get for Valpo, but it's a long shot for sure.

valpopal

Word is that SF Alec Peters '13 will take an unofficial visit to Valparaiso this weekend.

(AMAGYLON PRESENTS) Washington Community High School Forward Alec Peters '13

vu72

One article I found says he wants to study engineering.  Advantage--VALPO!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

lot of down time in that video.  looks like he'd be a good get and with lots of other HL teams on that list of supposed suitors it would make signing him even sweeter.

lowposter

Must be out of touch...is that the standard form of video that players use to communicate to colleges?

Dont get me wrong, nicely done, but wouldnt colleges want to review more than highlights film, such as defensive abilities, rebounding skills, and overall abilities within a team concept.  Understood that most analysis now takes place in July during evaluations, perhaps these are another form of marketing the student athlete.

lowposter

Crusader03

Quote from: lowposter on December 16, 2011, 11:09:07 AM
Must be out of touch...is that the standard form of video that players use to communicate to colleges?

Dont get me wrong, nicely done, but wouldnt colleges want to review more than highlights film, such as defensive abilities, rebounding skills, and overall abilities within a team concept.  Understood that most analysis now takes place in July during evaluations, perhaps these are another form of marketing the student athlete.

lowposter

Videos like this are just a "foot in the door" move.  They generate some interest, get coaches talking.  If they like what they see, they will request game film so they can get a look at the entire picture. 

FWalum

What Crusader03 said, marketing pure and simple.  All you can tell from the video is that the kid has a nice mid-range jump shot.  I hate these things.... and parents pay to have this slick stuff put together.  Would rather see just raw video with out the music and closeups.  I don't need to have a music credit on a video to help me evaluate a player. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

If you see Alec when he is on campus this weekend, don't get too close  ;) :

WASHINGTON WINS WITHOUT TOP SCORER

BLOOMINGTON —  Washington went on the road without Alec Peters and won, 61-53 over Bloomington on Saturday night.

Washington (4-1) found out Monday that Peters, a 6-foot-7 junior averaging 24 points and eight rebounds, has mononucleosis. He is expected to be sidelined three to four weeks.

"Going on the road without Alec, that's a good win," Washington coach Kevin Brown said.

valpopal

Keeping Track of Clay Yeo: 31 pts., 8 rebounds—

Facing its third ranked team in five games, a slow start and sporadic play were too much for New Prairie's boys basketball team to overcome on Friday night against Class A No. 7 Triton.

Add to that a solid 1-2 scoring punch from Trojan junior Clay Yeo and sophomore Tanner Shepherd and it proved too much for       the Cougars (2-3, 0-1 Northern State Conference) in a 49-41 setback to the Trojans (5-2, 1-0 NSC) at Cougar Gym.

The Valparaiso University-bound Yeo had a big  night, scoring 31 points on 12-of-15 shooting. He also grabbed a  game-high eight       rebounds.

http://heraldargus.com/articles/2011/12/17/sports/doc4eebe3c1246ad113799480.txt

valpo64

We sat next to Alec Peters and his Dad, Jeff at the Oakland game.  Quality people, seemed very interested in Valpo, liked the coaching staff and the fact that they are young and relate to young players, mentioned that the staff seems to like being at Valpo and appears that the staff would be there for at least the near future so Alec could count on them all being on the staff while he attends ,  is impressed by our academics, would like to be close to home so family could watch him play as often as possible as their family is very close knit ... Dad said Green Bay also is interested...Jeff asked about the bigger rivalry games coming up at home and figured Butler would be among  them...I said you bet they are.  I mentioned that it was a Friday night game and would be a sellout for sure and a great Valpo home game experience.   I also mentioned the Cleveland State game on a Sunday afternoon and gave him the dates.  Both Alec and his Dad sounded very interested in attending saying they would talk to Coach Powell about attending and getting tickets.  While it was a surprize that they were next to us they appeard to be impressed by what they had seen during their visit as they got in about 4:30 Saturday afternoon, meeting the Coaches , shoot-around,etc.   My impression was that they are very interested in Valpo. He already has offers from IPFW and UIC.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on December 18, 2011, 08:22:13 PM
We sat next to Alec Peters and his Dad, Jeff at the Oakland game.  Quality people, seemed very interested in Valpo, liked the coaching staff and the fact that they are young and relate to young players, mentioned that the staff seems to like being at Valpo and appears that the staff would be there for at least the near future so Alec could count on them all being on the staff while he attends ,  is impressed by our academics, would like to be close to home so family could watch him play as often as possible as their family is very close knit ... Dad said Green Bay also is interested...Jeff asked about the bigger rivalry games coming up at home and figured Butler would be among  them...I said you bet they are.  I mentioned that it was a Friday night game and would be a sellout for sure and a great Valpo home game experience.   I also mentioned the Cleveland State game on a Sunday afternoon and gave him the dates.  Both Alec and his Dad sounded very interested in attending saying they would talk to Coach Powell about attending and getting tickets.  While it was a surprize that they were next to us they appeard to be impressed by what they had seen during their visit as they got in about 4:30 Saturday afternoon, meeting the Coaches , shoot-around,etc.   My impression was that they are very interested in Valpo. He already has offers from IPFW and UIC.

Quote from: valpopal on December 16, 2011, 05:36:16 PM
Washington (4-1) found out Monday that Peters, a 6-foot-7 junior averaging 24 points and eight rebounds, has mononucleosis. He is expected to be sidelined three to four weeks.

I guess since he has mono he has more time to make some Valpo games?

sectionee

I saw Coach Powell and Vashil talking with a big young kid about an hour before the game Saturday.  Hopefully the kid will put out a better highlight tape for us to enjoy!

illinoishoops4

Quote from: sectionee on December 18, 2011, 09:13:48 PM
I saw Coach Powell and Vashil talking with a big young kid about an hour before the game Saturday.  Hopefully the kid will put out a better highlight tape for us to enjoy!
the parents nor alec had any control of the video put out on this kid.  this company picks random kids and puts out the video as a marketing tool for their company.

valpopal

Here is another recruit with an offer from VU: Jubril Adekoya '13

Adekoya, a 6-foot-6 junior, is making a name for himself -- and his school, which will carry a 6-0 record into the 62nd annual Kankakee Holiday Tournament Dec. 28-30 in Kankakee. He already has scholarship offers from Loyola, Akron, Toledo and Valparaiso and is averaging 16 points and 12 rebounds per game.

"He is the third Division I player in 35 years at Andrew," said coach Mike O'Halloran. "The assistant coach at Valparaiso, (former Illinois star) Roger Powell, said he reminds him of himself. He is very intelligent, knowledgeable and has great leadership skills. And as good a player as he is, he is even better off the court."

http://www.csnchicago.com/12/19/11/Adekoya-attracts-attention-at-Andrew/landing.html?blockID=615026&feedID=629

vufan75

Quote from: valpo64 on December 18, 2011, 08:22:13 PM

An article froom HoopsIllinois.com on Alec Peters recruiting and his unofficial visit to Valpo.

http://hoopsillinois1.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=407:red-hot-washington-star-alec-peters-visits-valparaiso-talks-about-season-and-recruiting&catid=48:recruiting-news

Red-Hot Washington Star Alec Peters Visits Valparaiso, Talks About Season And Recruiting
Written by Cavan Walsh   
Monday, 02 January 2012 07:45

Washington High School star Alec Peters is one of the hottest prospects in the Class of 2013.  Peters, a 6'7 wing, competes on the travel team circuit with the Peoria Irish.  Peters is fresh off of taking an unofficial visit to the campus of Valparaiso University over the weekend.  He talks about the visit, the high school season and the recruiting process.

Talk about how the season is going after starting off hot then catching mono and coming back?

"The season started off great. I got really upset when I had to sit out four weeks because of mono, especially after starting the season off on a positive note. I was a little winded coming back, but it came back pretty quick. For coming back this quick I feel like I'm playing well."

Talk about how the recruiting process is going at the moment?

"Recruiting is great. I get letters everyday and I get calls a lot. Valpo is really recruiting me hard. I've heard from Nebraska, DePaul, Indiana State, Colorado State, Northeastern, North Dakota State, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee are among the schools recruiting me."

Talk about the visit you have lined up?

"I went to Valpo last night. I plan on visiting UIC and Wisconsin- Milwaukee in the near future."

Talk about your Valpo visit on Saturday?

"Well we got there and Coach Powell showed me the campus and told me a lot about the program. I met with a guy from admissions and we talked about the different things I could major in. I went and talked with Coach Drew and then watched their game.  I really like the way they play."

Did they offer you a scholarship?

"Coach Drew said he wants to see me play in person then he will."

vuweathernerd

also looking at uic and uwm? boy, if we miss out on this kid, it could really hurt!

vufan75

Interest is picking up for this Valpo recruiting target from the class of 2014 per chicagohoops.com. Sounds like a very nice player who is developing well. Would be a nice pickup if Valpo could actually get a verbal committment and NLI signed, though that is still probably 2 years away. Time will tell, as we've seen many times in the past. Erick Locke is complimentary of Coach Powell as well in article. 

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1351:chicago-brooks-super-sophomore-erick-locke-puts-his-passing-skills-on-displayschools-stepping-up-interest&catid=34:recruiting

www.chicagohoops.com article
Written by Scott Burgess   
Wednesday, 25 January 2012 03:33

Class of 2014 Chicago Brooks guard Erick Locke has always been known to put up big point totals.  As a sophomore, he is one of the most prolific scorers in the state.  Everyone knows he can score, but college coaches and scouts want to see him distribute now.  Locke is making the transition to playing the point guard position.

"The adjustment hasn't really been that hard.  I've always had an unselfish nature even when I was younger.  My instinct is when guys are open I am going to hit them right away.  I am starting to understand my role as a point guard, but also understand when I have to take over and score points for my team.  I really thought it would be a tougher adjustment, but it is going a lot easier than I thought it would be."

Locke showed those skills off recently at the Whitney Young Shootout against Chicago St. Ignatius.  He scored 23 points, but was impressive with his passing.  He looked to set up his teammates and had several passes that should have been converted for assists that weren't.  You can definitely tell he is making a concerted effort to become a passer.  He is also working on his game at the other end of the floor.

"I am really working on my defense.  That is how you get on the court in college.  I am working on my help defense and keeping guys in front of me.  I think I have made my biggest jump there."

He broke down what is new with recruiting.

" Marquette is showing a lot more interest.  They recently invited me on campus.  I still have interest from Xavier and the Valpo offer.  Illinois is also interested.  The same schools are raising their level of interest."

Valparaiso assistant coach Roger Powell was on hand to watch him at the Whitney Young Shootout.

"Coach Powell is a great dude.  He understands what it takes to make it and be a good ball player.  Having him out there means a lot."

Other schools that have shown some level of interest include DePaul, Chicago State, NIU, Bradley, Detroit, Loyola, and Purdue.

Crusader03

Please feel free to post names of any recruits Valpo is targeting or has offered...would like to start putting together as many profiles as possible.  The recruiting section of this site could be a really attractive feature if we can make it pretty comprehensive.

MattCarter

ESPN lists two players listed as considering for 2013 (to go along with Yeo and Davidson)

Robert Knar.  A point guard.  2 star, 80 grade. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/137819/robert-knar

Steve Haney.  6'6" forward. 3 start, 90 grade. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/104906/steve-haney
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

vu72

Here is a recently updated article that has our two guys in the top 20 in Indiana:

http://indianarecruitingguide.com/prospect-rankings/class-of-2013/

I think the kid we need is Erik Locke, story above.  Nationally ranked and a scoring point.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: MattCarter on February 19, 2012, 11:14:49 PM
ESPN lists two players listed as considering for 2013 (to go along with Yeo and Davidson)

Robert Knar.  A point guard.  2 star, 80 grade. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/137819/robert-knar

Steve Haney.  6'6" forward. 3 start, 90 grade. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/104906/steve-haney

Here is an old thread about Haney, who would be great to get but is most likely a long shot:
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=222.msg3277#msg3277

humbleopinion

[/quote]

Here is an old thread about Haney, who would be great to get but is most likely a long shot:
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=222.msg3277#msg3277

[/quote]

Of those who have offered, I only see Iowa State (according to Rivals) as having a significantly higher profile than Valpo.
Beamin' Beacons

vufan75

Interesting recruiting website I ran across on the Loyola message board while browsing. Sort of like the scholarship chart broken down by class year, but including offers made to recruits.

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/179

StlVUFan

Quote from: vufan75 on March 11, 2012, 07:29:21 PM
Interesting recruiting website I ran across on the Loyola message board while browsing. Sort of like the scholarship chart broken down by class year, but including offers made to recruits.

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/179

The format looks neat.  The data looks very wrong -- a mixture of obsolete and current data.