• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Butler board quiet before biggest game so far---Indy T is crazy but effective

Started by historyman, March 01, 2012, 04:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Not that I condone what he is doing but with the biggest game in the Butler season up to this point coming up the Butler board is very quiet. Indy T has effectively quieted those blowhards by just being crazy. Interesting.

wh

I think the decline in posts probably has more to do with their decline in relative position.  When you're seeded 5th in your conference tournament and don't know but what your season may end tonight, it's kind of difficult to gloat, brag, talk about moving to the Big East, ridicule other team's coaches and players, project what seed you expect to get in the NCAA tournament, praise the "Butler Way," criticize officiating, compare yourself to Gonzaga and Xavier, dismiss Mid Major polls as irrelevant, and oh, did I say gloat and brag?  What else is there for the typical Butler fan?  I'm sure everything will be back to normal once the world's best recruits return them to glory next year.   

agibson

I still _am_ curious what CSU's, Butler's, or, of course Valpo's post-season prospects look like.  Win or lose.

valporun

agibson, win or lose, Valpo is in the NIT by winning the HL regular season.

agibson

For sure.  And, I'd be excited about our chances of winning a game there.

But, I wonder about our seeding: NCAA or NIT.  And About CSU and Butler's prospects in the NIT (or other), their seeding (better than ours in NCAA?), etc, etc.

valporun

I don't think CSU would get a higher seed because they didn't win regular season, and Butler would probably get a higher seed because of their last two NCAA tourney appearances. NCAA's I don't see Valpo higher than a 16 because of our record and recent NCAA history. NIT we might be in the middle to a point where we could host a home game or two.

FWalum

We have only been a 16 seed once before coming out of a much weaker Min Con and playing against Michigan State .  I just have a hard time believing that any team that wins the HL tournament will be a 16. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

The committee doesn't look at league tournament history with mid-majors. They look at the school's history. I believe we've never been higher than 14 seed in 1998, so I can't see us being any higher than 15 or 16.

agibson

We've been a 12 seed, a 13 twice (including 98) and a 14.  As well as a 15 twice, and the 16 that was mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valparaiso_Crusaders_men%27s_basketball#All_time_tournament_results

Do they look explicitly at school history?  I think they may be asked _not_ to.  But, surely it must be in the back of their minds.  As, indeed, must conference.

I think they're only really _supposed_ to look at a team's schedule, and results, this season. 

agibson

As for the NIT, I'm not sure about hosting.  But, I wouldn't be _too_ sad if we missed the NCAA, but went on to win 2-3 games in the NIT.

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 02, 2012, 10:07:01 PM
As for the NIT, I'm not sure about hosting.  But, I wouldn't be _too_ sad if we missed the NCAA, but went on to win 2-3 games in the NIT.
If someone beats us, I'll wish them well but that doesn't mean I won't be disappointed.  We're 6-0 against the other 3 teams and have the home court.  It is our time.

drewsaders11

http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/nit-bracketology/

There is a link to a fairly legitimate article "NIT Bracketology" out Feb 27.  It had Mil, CSt, and Butler all on the NIT bubble, and likely out, as did a few other sites (nitology.com).  If Valpo were to make the NCAA's, they would most likely be a 15.  The SWAC, MEAC, Patriot, America East, and a few others are very bad conferences that teams typically have no chance of getting higher than a 16 unless they pull a Murray St.  Assuming a few 3-6 seeds win mediocre conf tourneys, that may bump Valpo up.  Illinois St. just upset Wichita St. to reach the MVC final.  If Illinois St gets in the tourney, they should be seeded close to Valpo (Ill St had rpi of 115 yesterday, Valpo 92).  Anyways, I can't see Valpo being seeded 16 if they win two more games against good HL teams.  Also, if Valpo makes the NIT, they will not host a game.  Autobid teams in the NIT typically get the lowest seeds, so in the NIT, Valpo would most likely be a 7, maybe a 6 (Milwaukee got a 5 last year, mostly because because 14 auto-qualifiers lessened the quality of teams in the nit last year). 

Gametime

Quote from: wh on March 02, 2012, 07:55:51 AMI think the decline in posts probably has more to do with their decline in relative position.  When you're seeded 5th in your conference tournament and don't know but what your season may end tonight, it's kind of difficult to gloat, brag, talk about moving to the Big East, ridicule other team's coaches and players, project what seed you expect to get in the NCAA tournament, praise the "Butler Way," criticize officiating, compare yourself to Gonzaga and Xavier, dismiss Mid Major polls as irrelevant, and oh, did I say gloat and brag?  What else is there for the typical Butler fan?  I'm sure everything will be back to normal once the world's best recruits return them to glory next year.

Do you honestly think you can take a few fans from a forum and say they are the "typical Butler fan?" I don't think so. If I took the members of this forum and called them "typical Valpo fans" do you know what I would think of the "typical Valpo fan?" They cry about Butler an awful lot. Just because a few on a FORUM act a certain way, does not define the typical fan of a school. I know a lot of Butler fans, outside of the Forums, I never hear, what I consider to be the typical fans, comparing Butler to any school like Gonzaga and Xavier. They find themselves to be there own team/school and don't need a comparison to have pride. They pride themselves in being Butler.

Ridiculing of other teams and coaches?  I don't know any Butler fans that ridicule other teams coaches, but again I'm sure a handful of fans do. To be honest, I heard good things about, Bryce Drew and Coach K from Duke (to name a few) from Butler fans. I drove down to Butler last year to watch the National Championship game at Hinkle on TV, and can tell you that I was extremely impressed by the fans. After playing a not so satisfactory game, the fans were cheering, chanting, and praising their school and team at the end. I never heard any derogatory statement about uConn or anyother school. Again, there probably were some people that did.

Criticize officiating? Do you honestly think fans don't criticize officiating? I have NEVER been to a game where opposing fans have not criticized the refs. Valpo does it, Butler does it, CSU, Detroit, etc. Every sport team in the world does. I don't see your point.

Gloating and Bragging? Really? They went to the national championship not once, but twice, consecutively . If Valpo accomplished what they did in those two years Valpo fans would be gloating and bragging too. Again, I'm sure there are some Butler fans that take the gloating way too far. Every school has those fans. If you think Valpo doesn't then think again. I went to the Butler Valpo game last year at Valpo and saw Valpo fans giving the bird to the Butler fans. Did I think "Typical Valpo fan?" No. Did I think less of Valpo? No. Why? Because a few people, in person or on a forum, don't define the school, or team, or town, or typical fan.

From what I have seen, there is plenty of things that the typical Butler Fan embodies. Taking the hundreds and thousands of Butler basketball fans and claiming the things you stated about them is just plain ignorant.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Gametime on March 07, 2012, 10:32:02 PM
Quote from: wh on March 02, 2012, 07:55:51 AMI think the decline in posts probably has more to do with their decline in relative position.  When you're seeded 5th in your conference tournament and don't know but what your season may end tonight, it's kind of difficult to gloat, brag, talk about moving to the Big East, ridicule other team's coaches and players, project what seed you expect to get in the NCAA tournament, praise the "Butler Way," criticize officiating, compare yourself to Gonzaga and Xavier, dismiss Mid Major polls as irrelevant, and oh, did I say gloat and brag?  What else is there for the typical Butler fan?  I'm sure everything will be back to normal once the world's best recruits return them to glory next year.

Do you honestly think you can take a few fans from a forum and say they are the "typical Butler fan?" I don't think so. If I took the members of this forum and called them "typical Valpo fans" do you know what I would think of the "typical Valpo fan?" They cry about Butler an awful lot. Just because a few on a FORUM act a certain way, does not define the typical fan of a school. I know a lot of Butler fans, outside of the Forums, I never hear, what I consider to be the typical fans, comparing Butler to any school like Gonzaga and Xavier. They find themselves to be there own team/school and don't need a comparison to have pride. They pride themselves in being Butler.

Ridiculing of other teams and coaches?  I don't know any Butler fans that ridicule other teams coaches, but again I'm sure a handful of fans do. To be honest, I heard good things about, Bryce Drew and Coach K from Duke (to name a few) from Butler fans. I drove down to Butler last year to watch the National Championship game at Hinkle on TV, and can tell you that I was extremely impressed by the fans. After playing a not so satisfactory game, the fans were cheering, chanting, and praising their school and team at the end. I never heard any derogatory statement about uConn or anyother school. Again, there probably were some people that did.

Criticize officiating? Do you honestly think fans don't criticize officiating? I have NEVER been to a game where opposing fans have not criticized the refs. Valpo does it, Butler does it, CSU, Detroit, etc. Every sport team in the world does. I don't see your point.

Gloating and Bragging? Really? They went to the national championship not once, but twice, consecutively . If Valpo accomplished what they did in those two years Valpo fans would be gloating and bragging too. Again, I'm sure there are some Butler fans that take the gloating way too far. Every school has those fans. If you think Valpo doesn't then think again. I went to the Butler Valpo game last year at Valpo and saw Valpo fans giving the bird to the Butler fans. Did I think "Typical Valpo fan?" No. Did I think less of Valpo? No. Why? Because a few people, in person or on a forum, don't define the school, or team, or town, or typical fan.

From what I have seen, there is plenty of things that the typical Butler Fan embodies. Try being less ignorant.

Folks, I'm with GameTime on this one.  Every time I've heard a blanket statement about Typical Butler Fans, I've ventured over there and found at most 2 or 3 that fit the given description.

Then again, with the sour taste in our mouths, maybe we're redirecting our ire elsewhere right now ;)