• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Big Announcements

Started by vuweathernerd, September 06, 2012, 09:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-announces-network-hd-instant-replay-implementation.html

looking forward to better quality webcasts as the conference year progresses! i wonder if the mobile app will have access to the higher quality streams as well.

in other news - instant replay coming to basketball this year.

wh

The HLN is nothing short of totally impressive, and even more so now with HD.  As far as I know, competing mid major conferences - MAC, MVC, Summit, OVC, even the A-10 - still have nothing like it.  I have watched countless away games I would never have seen without it, and have followed several games between other HL teams, as well.  I can imagine that players' families really value it.  Congratulations to the league office and some obviously progressive AD's for making this a reality.

valpotx

Yes, I highly value the HLN as well, otherwise I would never see my alma mater play  :).  Very excited for the improved video!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

I have been critical of the HL in its handling of the Butler departure and lack of clear statement about the future of the league. However, I must applaud the league for its policy on Internet broadcasts as well as this commitment to improve their quality even more. Bravo!  :thumbsup:

valporun

Unless I missed it somewhere in the story, when do they plan to release the HLN mobile app?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valporun on September 06, 2012, 05:16:22 PM
Unless I missed it somewhere in the story, when do they plan to release the HLN mobile app?

it wasn't in the story - but i have no idea. hopefully soon.

agibson

Quote from: valporun on September 06, 2012, 05:16:22 PM

There was an app last year, right?  Or was that not an HLN app, but somehow a generic Horizon League app that also had some streaming video?

Selecting the live streams was practically impossible from my iPod Touch, so hopefully it is a new app, and fixes the problem!

agibson

Quote from: vuweathernerd on September 06, 2012, 09:26:08 AM
looking forward to better quality webcasts as the conference year progresses! i wonder if the mobile app will have access to the higher quality streams as well.

It's not completely clear to me that this will result in higher quality webcasts, particularly live streams.  I hope you're right, and that it does!

But, the problem with the webcasts wasn't necessarily low resolution.  Higher resolution with the same bandwidth might, in fact, make problems worse (lower frame rate, etc.).

But, it should make HD feeds of telecast games more possible?  Have there ever been any from the ARC?  Maybe with ESPN, if they bring their own cameras?

VULB#62

Gotta say that the HLN webcasts I've seen across the board are so much better than what I saw coming out of UC Santa Barbara on Friday for the MSO game.  Terrible!

valporun

The UCSB video feed was coming thru their video board feed, so it was going to be choppy. I have to agree, so far the HLN feeds have looked a lot better.

FWalum

I think the approach that the league has taken with regards to the HLN has been exceptionally well received.  Building the "brand" is what this is all about for mid level conferences and I think they have done an excellent job.  Looking forward to the mobile app release and the higher quality video. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show