• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

A Different Look at the HL Standings

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, January 05, 2014, 01:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Kind of hard to believe in a stretch of 3 games against UIC, Valpo and Oakland (at home) the only game that Wright State won was at Valpo. It shows how truly unique the road and home records have been for HL teams this year.  The only team with a perfect record is Oakland ON the ROAD.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Kyle321n

Week 8 Standings

Yeah, we'll get a 8.5 on Friday since we've got 4 games in the middle of the week. Oakland and Green Bay swapped places in the different look with a W in UIC.

As we close the season, Oakland, Green Bay and Milwaukee can no long gain points with all their games remaining at home. Valpo, Wright State, Detroit, Northern Kentucky and UIC can't lose points with their games all remaining on the road. Hey, look at that you've got travel partners (GB/Mil, Valpo/UIC, WSU/NKU) all in the same category and travel partners in the opposite categories (Detroit and Oakland) since said travel partners play each other to end the season.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

talksalot

so... here's my guess at the tournament seedings with some assumptions on the final league record

#1  Valpo   16  2
#2  Oakla   13  5  with a win at the ORena Friday night against Detroit
#3  Wright  13  5  loses tie breaker with Oakland, Grizzlies were 2-0 against the Raiders
#4  GreenB 11  7 One win and one loss this weekend
#5  Milwke  10  8 One win and one loss this weekend
#6  Detroit   9  9  One loss this weekend
#7  NorKy   7  11 Two wins this weekend on the road in NE Ohio
#8 YoungSt 5  13 Two losses this weekend
#9  UIC       3  15 Two losses this weekend
#10 Cleve   3  15 Two losses this weekend, loses tiebreak to UIC.  They beat each other, both split with NorKy.  UIC's win over Wright is better than Cleve's win over Youngstown

so the Saturday matchups at Historic JLA - Eastern Times

Game 1:    #4 Green Bay vs #9 UIC - Noon Saturday  March 5
Game 2:    #5 Milwaukee vs #8 Youngstown State - 2:30pm Saturday March 5
                           Winners play each other at 1PM on Sunday March 6

Game 3:   #3 Wright State vs #10 Cleveland State - 5PM Saturday March 5
Game 4:   #6 Detroit Vs #7 Northern Kentucky - 7:30pm Saturday March 5
                            Winners play each other at 3:30PM on Sunday March 6

IF DETROIT BEATS OAKLAND... things change quite a bit...
#1  Valpo    16  2
#2  Wright   13  5  with two wins in NE Ohio this weekend
#3  Oaklan  12  6 
#5  Detroit  10  8 One win this weekend, wins tie break over UWM because of a win against Wright
#6  Milwau  10  8  One loss and one win this weekend
#10 Cleve   3  15 Two losses this weekend, loses tiebreak to UIC.  They beat each other, both split with NorKy.  UIC's win over Wright is better than Cleve's win over Youngstown

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on February 23, 2016, 08:30:37 AMIF DETROIT BEATS OAKLAND... things change quite a bit...
#1  Valpo    16  2
#2  Wright   13  5  with two wins in NE Ohio this weekend
#3  Oaklan  12  6 
#5  Detroit  10  8 One win this weekend, wins tie break over UWM because of a win against Wright
#6  Milwau  10  8  One loss and one win this weekend

I have a feeling that Detroit would like nothing better than to knock Oakland out of the double bye and give them the same home turf advantage that Oakland would have in the HL tourney. Go Titans!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

I'm guessing Olympia Entertainment would like nothing better!   

talksalot

and with the games last night... the bottom of my bracket projections fall apart on my predictions...

#7  NorKy   6  12
#8 YoungSt 5  13

Both teams are 5-12 right now, and will play each other on Saturday at Beeghly.  Winner gets the 7 loser gets the 8

#9  UIC       3  15  finishes at Green Bay and at Milwaukee
#10 Cleve   4  14 CSU's win over NorKy, put them in the driver's seat for the 9 seed, they finish up Saturday with Wright State.

So these two will flip in the final standings.... probably.

valpotx

I believe that NKU isn't eligible to play in the conference tourney, correct?
"Don't mess with Texas"

HailVU2014

Quote from: valpotx on February 28, 2016, 12:29:39 AM
I believe that NKU isn't eligible to play in the conference tourney, correct?
Nope. NKU will be in the HL tourney. If they won the tourney however, they would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament and the runner up in the HL would be the NCAA representative. This is just like Southern-Texas Southern in the SWAC last year I believe. There is official proof somewhere but I cannot find the article anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

talksalot

Sometimes, the Horizon League web site just gets things wrong.

Two more seeds were clinched during Saturday's action in Horizon League men's basketball. Youngstown State clinched the number seven seed with its win over Northern Kentucky. The Norse secured the eight seed.Cleveland State and UIC are the only remaining teams in the Horizon League that do not know their seed heading into the final day of regular season play. UIC will be the nine seed for Motor City Madness with a win at Green Bay, but if the Flames fall to Phoenix, Cleveland State will be the nine seed and UIC will be the 10 seed.

Swap out "Milwaukee" for "Green Bay" ... and "Panthers" for "Phoenix" and it's now correct.

Game 1:    #4 Green Bay vs #9 ________________ - Noon Saturday  March 5  (Probably Cleveland St)
Game 2:    #5 Milwaukee vs #8 Northern Kentucky - 2:30pm Saturday March 5
                           Winners play each other at 1PM on Sunday March 6

Game 3:   #3 Wright State vs #10 ____________ - 5PM Saturday March 5  (probably UIC)
Game 4:   #6 Detroit Vs #7 Youngstown State - 7:30pm Saturday March 5
                            Winners play each other at 3:30PM on Sunday March 6

In the Regular Season:

Green Bay Swept Cleveland State
Milwaukee Split with Northern Kentucky
Wright State Split with UIC
Detroit Swept Youngstown State

talksalot

Quote from: HailVU2014 on February 28, 2016, 01:04:27 AMNKU will be in the HL tourney. If they won the tourney however, they would be ineligible for the NCAA tournament and the runner up in the HL would be the NCAA representative. This is just like Southern-Texas Southern in the SWAC last year I believe. There is official proof somewhere but I cannot find the article anymore.

I found this article from the original announcement last spring...

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2015/05/11/northern-kentucky-university-officially-joins-horizon-league/27111971/

Northern Kentucky University has unanimously approved its membership in the Horizon League and will begin participation July 1.

Two days after The Enquirer revealed the university's impending vote to change leagues, NKU's Board of Regents approved the move in a special meeting Monday at the Student Union and closed the chapter on a three-year affiliation with the Atlantic Sun Conference.

As coaches and media members looked on, Norse officials ratified membership in the Midwestern-centric Horizon League with Cleveland State, Detroit Mercy, Illinois at Chicago, Oakland (Mich.), Valparaiso, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Wright State and Youngstown State.

"We'd officially like to welcome you to the Horizon League," commissioner Jon LeCrone said in an ensuing press conference.

The Norse compete in 17 of the Horizon League's 19 sports. Athletic director Ken Bothof said the conference is a perfect fit for NKU in terms of the student-athlete experience, alumni engagement, potential for rivalries, opportunities to generate ticket revenue and exposure for sponsors in the media market.

Bothof said NKU will save an estimated $255,000 annually in travel with the league change. Those savings will allow the university to meet the Horizon League's $1.15 million entry fee in four years. Details of the Norse's Atlantic Sun exit fees have not yet been determined.

Last week the league announced a partnership with Olympia Entertainment to host the men's basketball tournament in Detroit for the next five years.

NKU's reclassification to Division I will be complete in 2016-17 when it is eligible to compete in NCAA tournaments. Norse teams will compete in full Horizon League schedules next school year.

"This is an institution on the rise, and our horizon has never been brighter," Mearns said.

valpotx

Why would the conference allow an ineligible team to compete for the conference tourney?  I know that they are eligible in all other sports, but think that M/W basketball has to wait one more year.  It looks bad for the conference if they were somehow to get hot, and then your tourney winner can't play in the NCAA tourney!
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

VALPO HORIZON LEAGUE RECORDS
      Home Record     Road Record      Overall Record

H-Ws   H-Ls    R-Ws R-Ls   Total-Ws Ls
2015-16   8      1          8       1          16    2
2014-15   8      0          5       3          13   3
2013-14   5      3           4       4          9    7
2012-13   6      2           7       1         13    3
2011-12   8      1           6       3          14    4
2010-11   7      2           5       4          12    6
2009-10   6      3           4       5          10    8
2008-09   4      5           1       8          5    13
2007-08   5      4           4       5          9    9

valpotx

So, we were known as the 'Monsters of the Mid-Con.'  What should we call ourselves now that we own the Horizon League?  Should we be the 'Heroes of the Horizon?'  It's amazing to think that we have won 13 regular season titles in the last 21 seasons.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on February 28, 2016, 11:07:33 PMSo, we were known as the 'Monsters of the Mid-Con.'  What should we call ourselves now that we own the Horizon League?  Should we be the 'Heroes of the Horizon?'  It's amazing to think that we have won 13 regular season titles in the last 21 seasons.

Yes, and we have been in the HL for 9 years and won 4 of them.  We are ready for the next step.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

HL records set by Valpo this year. - Scoring margin, +14.7 - Rebounding average, 43.6 - Rebounding margin, +13.0
CRUSADERS!!!

Kyle321n

Final Standings

As we finish the season we see the "different look" matches up with the real life standings. That's always exciting and this is again a fun exercise.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer