• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Parking garage and sidewalk pics

Started by historyman, November 10, 2014, 06:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Junction of new sidewalk and somewhat new sidewalk that runs from the old hospital laundry building towards Brown Field.

The sidewalk goes straight towards the pit area (high jump, etc) of the track and then curves around to the right (facing the ARC) before ending at the parking lot entrance.

Looking at the modular offices that were behind the old school building (old Immanuel school) that was torn down. You can see the beginning/end of the new sidewalk across from east parking garage driveway (entrance).

Elevator door-----only the first floor is available for parking. There really is nothing there but concrete. Not exciting at all.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Just thinking that this new walk (and walking on this walk in January) will remind a lot of old timers of the hike from Wehrenberg to old campus when there was only the chapel and old unionb and couple of small trees to from a break against the cold wind.

historyman

More pics came through finally on my photos website

Looking towards the pit area of the track. You can see the sidewalk goes up towards the fence, joins with the sidewalk from a parking lot and then curves right(west) and then curves south(left) on the way to the ARC.
EDIT: I walked about 1/3 of the way from the street to the track fence (where the sidewalk curves to the right) before taking this pic.

Looking at ARC from sidewalk as it runs up to entrance of the ARC parking lot--west side of Brown Field and track

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Another pic cam e through.

The elevator on the east side of the parking garage--not needed because only the first floor will be used. Of course a van drove by while I was taking this pic. It was right in front of the entrance. The door to the elevator lobby is just to the left (west) of the entrance driveway

valpotx

How come the first floor is the only one being used?  Are the other floors unstable?
"Don't mess with Texas"

okinawatyphoon

Thank you for the pictures! It's a bit underwhelming but a start at least. Hopefully the parking garage renovations are not complete.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on November 11, 2014, 12:14:30 AM
How come the first floor is the only one being used?  Are the other floors unstable?

My best guess is that the two other floors just won't be used very much and the cars that would be parked on those floors can be fitted into the first floor. Then the elevator can be locked off and not be a hazard. Also less maintenance.

talksalot

There is a large open-air lot that you access through the entrance to the garage off to the east...it has the same footprint at the garage, but more spaces without the interior walls / ramps..should be enough to handle most folks who won't know about it...

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on November 11, 2014, 04:29:32 PMThere is a large open-air lot that you access through the entrance to the garage off to the east...it has the same footprint at the garage, but more spaces without the interior walls / ramps..should be enough to handle most folks who won't know about it...

I noticed there were about 20 cars parked in that open-air parking lot during the day and I assumed it belonged to a near-by business. Are those cars of students and staff? With the "gold" lot (next to Guild/Memorial) and parking next to the ARC and just west of the gold lot, in the area where the sorority dorm will be built, the parking garage on LaPorte and the open-air lot next door and the lot that is south of the softball field parking lot, that is a large amount of parking for sell out games.

historyman

One more photo that I didn't notice coming through until now.

That is the door to the elevator lobby that faces east and is just west of the parking garage entrance.