• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League contracts with TV Network for 10 national games

Started by historyman, November 18, 2014, 02:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Start checking your TV channel listings for ASN (American Sports Network). They will be airing supplemental coverage of 10 HL men's basketball games this 2014-2015 season.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2014-15/14133/horizon-league-announces-television-partnership-with-american-sports-network/#.VGunbfnF-3g

Horizon League on ASN Schedule

Date       Game                                          Time (CT)

Dec. 14   Miami (Ohio) at Wright State          4:30 p.m.

Dec. 17   Morehead State at Green Bay          7 p.m.

Jan. 4      Milwaukee at Detroit                     noon

Jan. 20     UIC at Green Bay                       7 p.m.

Jan. 31     Valparaiso at UIC                     2 p.m.

Feb. 1       Oakland at Youngstown State      11:30 a.m.

Feb. 2       Green Bay at Wright State           7 p.m.

Feb. 8       Oakland at Valparaiso               2:30 p.m.

Feb. 15      UIC at Cleveland State                2 p.m.

Feb. 22      Cleveland State at Milwaukee       2 p.m.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Kyle321n

They are very obviously a new network. It looks like it's not going to be on my Comcast subscription, but we'll see. From what I can tell they don't actually have a channel but they have affiliates who will air their sporting events. Anyway, the two Valpo games should be easy for locals to get to and watch as UIC is a Saturday afternoon and Oakland is a home game. It will be nice to watch some of the other conference teams, especially the Miami (OH)-WSU game and MSU-UWGB game. Hopefully they will have those on TV in our area soon.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

historyman

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 18, 2014, 03:10:08 PMFrom what I can tell they don't actually have a channel but they have affiliates who will air their sporting events.

Yes, see what you mean. They are a company that owns local TV stations and sells their programing out to other TV outlets. If you don't live in an area with a local station the games might air on Comcast Sports Network or similar sports channel.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

I did see something in the story where Comcast Sportsnet Chicago will probably have any of the games involving UIC, maybe Valpo, and other select games, based on contractual agreements with other conferences for broadcasting their teams.

Kyle321n

Quote from: valporun on November 19, 2014, 12:24:39 AM
I did see something in the story where Comcast Sportsnet Chicago will probably have any of the games involving UIC, maybe Valpo, and other select games, based on contractual agreements with other conferences for broadcasting their teams.

Let's see how likely this is with the Bears/Bulls/Blackhawks schedules

Dec. 14   Miami (Ohio) at Wright State          4:30 p.m.
Bulls play on WGN at 4 PM. Blackhawks play on Comcast at 7 PM. They also do Bears post games on CSN. Highly unlikely that CSN airs this game.

Dec. 17   Morehead State at Green Bay          7 p.m.
No Bulls or Blackhawks games. I could see CSN picking up this game.

Jan. 4      Milwaukee at Detroit                     noon
Blackhawks play 7 PM on WGN. No Bulls game. I could see CSN picking this game up.

Jan. 20     UIC at Green Bay                       7 p.m.
Blackhawks play on CSN at 7 PM. No Bulls game No chance, but they might use the CSN+ channel to air it since it's UIC. They had UIC/WIU on Monday night.

Jan. 31     Valparaiso at UIC                     2 p.m.
Blackhawks play on CSN at 9:30. No Bulls game. If this isn't picked up by CSN I'll be shocked.

Feb. 1       Oakland at Youngstown State      11:30 a.m.
No Chicago teams play. It's Super Bowl Sunday so I have no idea what CSN is going to do. I can see them picking it up for some cheap programming.

Feb. 2       Green Bay at Wright State           7 p.m.
No Chicago teams again. Could be a battle of top 2 HL teams? I could see a pick up here.

Feb. 8       Oakland at Valparaiso               2:30 p.m.
Blackhawks game at 11:30 on NBC. Bulls game at 5 PM on WGN. Does CSN pick up something to run against the 3rd period of the Hawks game on a sister channel? I'm pretty sure they don't do post games on CSN for NBC games during the regular season. Could be picked up.

Feb. 15      UIC at Cleveland State                2 p.m.
Blackhawks play at 11:30 on NBC (again). No Bulls game. Probably picked up for the Chicago team.

Feb. 22      Cleveland State at Milwaukee       2 p.m.
Another Blackhawks game again on NBC (When you play St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Boston on 3 straight Sundays you have the schedule made to be aired nationally). No Bulls. I can see it being picked up.

valporun

I don't see Comcast Chicago picking up more than 3-4 games, involving Valpo, UIC, or Milwaukee, although Milwaukee is a waste of tv when they aren't postseason relevant. It also depends on Sundays about the contractual agreements with the MVC for Sunday games too. Too many options, and some of the HL games aren't that intriguing, especially if the MVC is having a better year than the HL, which is guaranteed. Like I said, it just depends mostly on how UIC, Valpo, and Milwaukee are playing compared with the MVC matchups.

bbtds

This thread is from back in November and discusses the TV contract with American Sports Network. According to the schedule the only other game that Valpo plays on the ASN is against Oakland  at the ARC which could be an important game. I really hope that Comcast Sports-Chicago picks up this game so I can watch it on AT&T U-verse in Indy. 

FWalum

My question is this... did this game actually get aired on Comcast Chicago, Mid Atlantic Sports Network, Altitude Sports & Entertainment (DirecTV channels) or any other channel? You would think that if it did, then they would have the replay up on their site, but they don't so it would seem that they had some sort of technical difficulty that day because other games also did not get streamed or have replay.  Can someone say they actually watched the UIC game on a Cable or Satellite provider?

Really wanted to see the Tevonn tip dunk that Todd raved about so I am still very upset there still is no replay.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

mvandersee

Quote from: FWalum on February 02, 2015, 11:01:43 PMMy question is this... did this game actually get aired on Comcast Chicago, Mid Atlantic Sports Network, Altitude Sports & Entertainment (DirecTV channels) or any other channel? You would think that if it did, then they would have the replay up on their site, but they don't so it would seem that they had some sort of technical difficulty that day because other games also did not get streamed or have replay.  Can someone say they actually watched the UIC game on a Cable or Satellite provider?
I was at the game so I didn't watch it on tv, but my family watched it on CSN+

aevans12

I was able to watch the UIC game on ThisTV in Dayton (channel 45.2). I also got the Oakland-YSU game. the following day. However, the WSU-GB game last night was not on, so they must blackout local markets.

Kyle321n

Yeah last night it was nice to have a HL game on at the bar while I was playing trivia. Unfortunately for me, my rooting for WSU didn't help them at all.

valporun

I actually dvr'd the game against UIC on Saturday, since I had to work. It was on channel 665-1 on Direct TV. I also saw last night's UWGB-WSU game on channel 665, both Comcast Chicago stations, but 665-1 is more of a CSN+ for me. I get all kinds of the American Sports Network games on that channel. I don't know why the game wasn't archived yet, unless there were connection issues at the Pavillion Saturday? That wouldn't surprise me, remembering how awful coverage of some UIC games would be on HLN the last few years.

wh

What a confusing mess. Posters on every HL board are complaining about not being able to "find" games being carried by this new outfit. Then someone stumbles onto some channel carrying it where they live and tries to pass it on to others, who find that channel doesn't work in their area or doesn't apply because they have a different provider. Some games are replayable, some aren't. And of course no one from the HL office of lazy technicians could give damn. Just roll something out with minimum information as to how to access this new product, provide no follow up, clarify nothing, no apologies for masterminding a complete cluster fxxx, no anything.

FWalum

Quote from: valporun on February 03, 2015, 11:26:45 AMI actually dvr'd the game against UIC on Saturday, since I had to work. It was on channel 665-1 on Direct TV.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME  >:( So valporun makes this post and I am like  ??? it was shown on 665-1  ??? I have 665-1 in my DirecTV package, so I check it out and low and behold I am watching a replay of the Wright State Green Bay game.  Now I am really steamed because I had done a search for the game on Saturday and the only channels it showed at the time were 640 and 681 which I don't get because I have the package one step down from the "Premier" package.  And all along I could have been watching it on Comcast Sportsnet Chicago.  >:(
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

historyman

I watched the GB/WSU game on the HL website which was linked to the American SN website. It was a nice broadcast on there except for the fact that Wright St seems to have chucked it in for this season and were beaten mostly on hustle, quickness, attitude and belief in one's own ability.