• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU @ UWM Sunday 2/15 1pm tip

Started by talksalot, February 13, 2015, 10:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

I was listening to Todd who provided an entertaining and exciting broadcast. Big win in difficult situation, and outstanding adjustments by Valpo in the second half.

valpotx

Good to see that I wasn't the only one amused by the ridiculous announcer.  He definitely takes the title as worst HL announcer, with his constant b!tching about the referees, and continuously mentioning that 2/3 of the refs were new (and thus, must not know anything, of course?!). 

That dunk by Tevonn was absolutely disgusting.  I had figured that he threw it into the net, but he threw it down so hard on the 6'10" guy, that I didn't even see it get above the rim!  They call that, 'nuts on your chin' ;).  Vashil had a bad game on offense, but still brought good intensity on D.  One of his worst games of the season on O, as he looked like Jr. Vashil in that area, but glad to see that he didn't carry it to the other end.

Good win, and definitely a grinder.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Coming in Milw was 5-1 at home in conference, including a blowout win over Oakland last Tuesday. A win by any score over a team that good at home is a good win. I would expect them to give CSU a very good game when they host them next Sunday.   

oklahomamick

Good road win.  Got KC some minutes.  Everyone looked tired.  Alec shot at buzzer before half was short I think because he had no lift in the legs.  He was short on a free throw at the end of the game for same reason.  We are mentally and physically tired.  We need a couple days and a home game. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: agibson on February 15, 2015, 02:25:00 PMI do appreciate that the guy calling the game is colorful.  And he seems... somewhat knowledgable about Valpo and the league.  Sort of refreshingly honest, I guess, that he's willing to show the edges of his knowledge.  Not the most professional, perhaps, but sort of a folksy, hometown, call.  With a sort of Wisconsin small-city twist.
I liked him- has potential. Great radio voice, good cadence, great gift for gab; but somebody needs to pull him aside and teach him just a few of the basics on the game of basketball and its rules.

We played maybe 26 minutes of good basketball and today that was enough.

oklahomamick

Walker's dunk was espn top 3 material. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpo2010

Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2015, 03:13:48 PMand continuously mentioning that 2/3 of the refs were new

I found this rather amusing.  Just because you don't recognize them doesn't mean they're new...

Today's officials:

Jeff Spedoske - Officiated 126 D1 games in past 7 seasons
http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/jeff-spedoske

Matt Potter - Officiated 257 D1 games in past 8 seasons
http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/matt-potter/schedule

Mike Brya - Officiated 31 D1 games in past 4 seasons
http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/mike-brya/schedule

If I remember his comments correctly, he mentioned that he was familiar with Spedoske, but the other 2 must be new...

a3uge

At the end the guy says, "Not a lot of fouls called in this game - and I like it better that way."

But the UWM announcers have always been terrible. I would catch conference games on the radio back in Milwaukee and you'd think the other team would be running with the ball down the court with one arm out not dribbling the way they'd complain.

wh

Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2015, 03:13:48 PM
Good to see that I wasn't the only one amused by the ridiculous announcer.  He definitely takes the title as worst HL announcer, with his constant b!tching about the referees, and continuously mentioning that 2/3 of the refs were new (and thus, must not know anything, of course?!). 

That dunk by Tevonn was absolutely disgusting.  I had figured that he threw it into the net, but he threw it down so hard on the 6'10" guy, that I didn't even see it get above the rim!  They call that, 'nuts on your chin' ;). Vashil had a bad game on offense, but still brought good intensity on D.  One of his worst games of the season on O, as he looked like Jr. Vashil in that area, but glad to see that he didn't carry it to the other end.

I'm almost afraid to bring it up, but I wonder if Tevonn will be considered worthy this week of FOW by the technicians at the HL office:

16 PPG Avg.
13-28 FG (46.4% FG)
4-4 FT (100%)
5.5 RPG
2.5 SPG
At 6-1 posterized MIL 6-10 center

FWalum

I guess there weren't many fouls called in this game unless it was almost a completely ridiculous foul, either a flop of a complete mugging.  I have but one question, how does Tevonn not shoot one free throw  in this game?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on February 15, 2015, 03:44:25 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 15, 2015, 03:13:48 PM

That dunk by Tevonn was absolutely disgusting.  I had figured that he threw it into the net, but he threw it down so hard on the 6'10" guy, that I didn't even see it get above the rim!  They call that, 'nuts on your chin' ;). Vashil had a bad game on offense, but still brought good intensity on D.  One of his worst games of the season on O, as he looked like Jr. Vashil in that area, but glad to see that he didn't carry it to the other end.

I'm almost afraid to bring it up, but I wonder if Tevonn will be considered worthy this week of FOW by the technicians at the HL office:

16 PPG Avg.
13-28 FG (46.4% FG)
4-4 FT (100%)
5.5 RPG
2.5 SPG
At 6-1 posterized MIL 6-10 center

I would think so but Bass has 28 points right now, don't know his stats from the CSU win.
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

I created a Vine account to post some vines. Here's Tavon's dunk:

https://vine.co/v/OP3TKBJH3a0

And Vashil's dunk:

https://vine.co/v/OPYEVIJEKjm

talksalot

Paris Bass: 
28 points, 6 reb 1 asst 1 steal 7-8 FTs today vs. Oakland   (Felder BTW 29 pts and 10-10 FTS)
7 points, 4 reb, 1 blk, 1 steal 0-2 FTs on Friday vs. Cleveland State

a3uge

FWalum

Name   PTS   RB   AST   STL   TO   W-L
Bass     35      10     2       2       5   1-1
Walker   32      11    4       5        5   2-0

Come on, if they give it to Bass.....  I'm not even going to say it.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

govalpogo

Quote from: justducky on February 15, 2015, 03:30:06 PM
Quote from: agibson on February 15, 2015, 02:25:00 PMI do appreciate that the guy calling the game is colorful.  And he seems... somewhat knowledgable about Valpo and the league.  Sort of refreshingly honest, I guess, that he's willing to show the edges of his knowledge.  Not the most professional, perhaps, but sort of a folksy, hometown, call.  With a sort of Wisconsin small-city twist.
I liked him- has potential. Great radio voice, good cadence, great gift for gab; but somebody needs to pull him aside and teach him just a few of the basics on the game of basketball and its rules.

We played maybe 26 minutes of good basketball and today that was enough.

I'm not sure if he is a "new" announcer as I distinctly remember him calling it when UWM made a late three against us a few years ago screaming, "OH MY GOD, HE WAS ON THE PANTHER,"  #triggered :'(

ValpoFan

Tevonn's dunk was the turning point in this game. This game had a Trap game written all over it but our

It is hard to believe that so much leadership and maturity is shown by a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. I continuously have to remind myself that Skara and Walker are only freshmen... oh and Alec is only a year older.

The future is bright...and so is the present.   

oklahomamick

According to Oren that was our first half time deficit since Oakland January 2nd.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

That announcer for Milwaukee has done games for awhile. He used to refer to Homer as "smiling Homer" as if Homer were some sort of con artist.

classof2014

Good grinding game... Not an easy game, Milwaukee isn't terrible and their good at home. Just 3 games left. Glad that KC got on the court today, Bryce limited his minutes but he looked good and I'm guessing he's gonna have 20+ next weekend against WSU.

Tevonn is by far the best freshman in the league, it's not even close. Bass does score but you look at where Valpo is compare that to Detroit and what Walker has done in key situations. Tevonn is the reason we won many of our games, perhaps both this weekend. His athleticism and passion is unmatched on the court. He doesn't just do it on the offense but the defense as well. He just makes plays.

Nice to be 24-4 and 11-2 in league play! Win for Vashil on senior day, just 3 more games before tourney time.

LaPorteAveApostle

Not to rain on any parades, but although Tevonn had a good game (6 boards, 4 steals, 3 assists), it took him 16 shots to score 12 points...which...not a good ratio.

Cf. Darien Walker--who often struggles with this--18 points on 9 shots, or 2.67 times more effective a shooter; Peters 15 points on 9 shots (2.22x better use of shots). 

...well, if we give him 10 points for that awesome dunk, though...

And let's hear it for the return of KC--3 dimes including that setup for Vashil--and the go-ahead bucket.

a3, awesome work on the Vines.  Maybe please make a them thread on here just for them so they're easily found for posterity?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

Scoring wise Tevonn didn't have the greatest of nights, he still had 4 steals and even an off night offensively he still greatly effects the game, he basically had the play of the night.

He is most deserving of FoY award. When Valpo played Detroit Bass was an enigma, he fouled out and had a zero impact on the game. Tevonn impacts the game in many different ways, he can score, pass, play defense, he is an all-around player. Bass is a very talented player but he isn't as complete as Tevonn is, 12 points on 16 shots isn't the greatest but he always finds ways to positively effects the game.

Valpofan00

If Valpo wins out any possibility of us being ranked?

a3uge

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on February 15, 2015, 07:25:57 PMWow this is fun!
Wait I just remembered you can't be The Vine Guy you already have an identity on this board as The Acerbic Witty Guy
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa