• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ CSU, Fri 2/27 9 PM CST ESPNU

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, February 25, 2015, 10:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoFan

When does the team come back? I am interested in joining a welcome crowd.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 28, 2015, 12:06:19 AM
[tweet]571548608559898625[/tweet]

Sounds like he broke a tooth, after all.

When he gets a mouth guard, will the transformation to Broekhoff 2.0 be complete?

I saw this other tweet promptly, but totally missed the author.

[tweet]571553804971208705[/tweet]

Nice!

agibson

Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 27, 2015, 11:46:50 PM
Highlights of the game were just on SportsCenter!

Coming around again in a few minutes...

historyman

Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 27, 2015, 08:12:03 PMWouldn't be surprised if we get blown out. We looked horrible against Detroit and have actually looked pretty bad our last 5 games or so

Very glad to read that you were the debbie downer tonight and not 78. 78 was actually very positive. Because along with your poor analysis of the women's team you can't predict men's results very well either. I mean, come on! "pretty bad our last 5 games or so." Valpo beat Oakland, GB, Milw at Milw and WSU and lost a 3 point game at Detroit. How is that "pretty bad?!"  Hooray! Thank God!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: vu72 on February 27, 2015, 09:48:44 PM
Please note:  At about 3:50 to go in the first I got a hold of ESPN and it became VAL-PAR-A-SO!!

Like everyone else, the repeated mispronunciation was grating on our nerves big time, when we suddenly noticed that seemingly out of the blue he started pronouncing it correctly.  I mentioned to my daughter that someone must have finally gotten to the guy.  Little did I know that you were the one behind it.  Kudos to '72! :clap:

nkvu

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2015, 12:46:25 AM
Please note:  At about 3:50 to go in the first I got a hold of ESPN and it became VAL-PAR-A-SO!!

Like everyone else, the repeated mispronunciation was grating on our nerves big time, when we suddenly noticed that seemingly out of the blue he started pronouncing it correctly.  I mentioned to my daughter that someone must have finally gotten to the guy.  Little did I know that you were the one behind it.  Kudos to '72! :clap:

Amen brother!   :thumbsup:

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 27, 2015, 11:29:03 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 27, 2015, 11:29:03 PM
Quote from: agibson on February 27, 2015, 11:25:05 PMAlec Peters?  _6_ shots for _15_ points.
I also liked T Walker's 11 on 4 shots (well, 5 shot equivalents).

less a fan of D Walker taking 13 to get 13, much less WHY IS HE TAKING ONE THIRD OF OUR SHOTS but hey we won.

True, but I'm a big fan of his team leading 8 rebounds, team leading 4 assists, and 0 TO's in 25 minutes.

valpo84

Just returned from the W. Team will be back tomorrow afternoon. They are staying in C-Town overnight.

Folks -- that was an incredibly tough victory. Champions are built through fire and that team busted their tails to win that game. It was as physical and intense for 40 mins as I can remember. CSU was doing what CSU does on their home court with 3 refs letting them do it. Someone could have (well actually) got hurt. There was a lot of blood in this one. It was so bad and so intense, I think I was bleeding. These guys earned that one. Intensity and this will help them understand what it takes to win a championship, HL or Summit or whatever conference.

Congratulations Valpo 2014-15 HLMBB regular season champs, home court and an auto NIT bid.

Credit to CSU for a good student turnout although that gym is quiet even with people in it. Good. Valpo turnout, over 100 Valpo fans at least. Thanks to those who texted and I even look good in the SC highlights!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Smj

I just need to say I don't like playing CSU. ..   I don't appreciate their style.    I think they foul on almost every play.   They try to hit and bump in every defensive trip as part of their game plan.   Our players always seem so banged up after playing them.

The league should NOT reward their playing style.  (Call fouls so they have to play like the rest of the teams play.)  I also think waters is an ars ever since his post game interview where he said we were not that good and did not beat them - "they just lost"...

As for the win - way to go Valpo!

talksalot

In a year that started with a win over Murray Bartow (ETSU) and a tribute to his father; we clinched the league title with Bryce picking up win #92... tying him with Gene Bartow...third place in total coaching victories.  Coach Christianson was 102-108 1929-1941.

Valpo is now 13-4 away from the ARC.  13 wins ties us for 2nd most (01-02) we were 13-7;  only 2 behind 97-98, we were 15-5.

OPP-PPG  59.81 through 31 games.  Best mark since 1951-52  58.04

vu72

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2015, 12:46:25 AM

Thanks!  Here is the correspondence, perhaps I was a bit harsh!   ;D

Thank you for your e-mail.

We appreciate you taking the time to write and share your thoughts with us. We have shared your comments with the appropriate personnel for their review and consideration.

For additional fan service, be sure to follow the ESPN Fan Central team @ESPN_FanCentral (http://twitter.com/ESPN_FanCentral) and like their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/ESPNFanCentral

Sincerely,

Sha
ESPN Viewer Response

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Where do I begin. The play by play guy at the Valpo-Cleveland State game can't pronounce VAL-Par-A-S0 and instead says VALPAR-I-So but no one in the truck corrects him. Then it is Nickerson with the ball when he is on the bench. Come on, this is a national broadcast and the guys doing it are idiots. You are better then this!

ref:_00D4080H6._50040kof7G:ref
© 2015 Microsoft Terms Privacy & cookies Developers English (United States)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

Watched the game last night with family and was not in a position to post. Agree with most (if not all) of the insights from the game. Ugly game overall, but liked how Valpo played winning ball down the stretch.  Three nice plays going inside was the key.  Great effort and a big win after a dissapointing loss on Wednesday.  Now need to win two games at home.

covufan

ESPN - it almost appears that ESPN randomly picks the announcers about 15 minutes before the game. They don't appear to do any homework - getting to know the players, pronunciation, etc.  Adam Amin needs to tweet out the pronunciation to all of his colleagues before they do a Valpo game

talksalot

Like...
Tray-Vonn Walker
David Scare-a
and my favorite... the winner will host the Verizon League tournament!

uhhh. hope we get better coverage.

usc4valpo

Great teams come out of adversity and these guys reflect that. Tremendous defensive team effort by the Crusaders. 

Regarding the conference tournament, I would not want to face Detroit. I have this feeling these guys are getting hot at the right time.

wh

oklahomamick

I think I would rather play uwgb than CSU in the semi.  CSU learned they can compete with us when they push the ball, full court press with tempo and play carefree with nothing to lose.  Playing half court ball against our length is not to their advantage.  It took them 1.75 games against us to figure it out. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 28, 2015, 09:09:44 AMI think I would rather play uwgb than CSU in the semi. 
I hate playing any team twice in a row.

Jubril looks to be really struggling. For us to have much success in either the NIT or NCAA he will need to find his game.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 27, 2015, 11:12:40 PM
Who was it that wrote the "HL Fan's Guide to Valpo" for the blog a few years back? 

I think they better revise it for the peoples...
I have an even better idea than my own. (Incredible, right?)

Let's let Keifer Sykes write it!

After all, it will be his seventh trip to Valpo...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Some vines:

[tweet]571588324999102464[/tweet]

[tweet]571571265611280384[/tweet]

[tweet]571553993354186753[/tweet]

[tweet]571563447458119680[/tweet]

Valpofan00

Quote from: historyman on February 28, 2015, 12:44:33 AM
Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 27, 2015, 08:12:03 PMWouldn't be surprised if we get blown out. We looked horrible against Detroit and have actually looked pretty bad our last 5 games or so

Very glad to read that you were the debbie downer tonight and not 78. 78 was actually very positive. Because along with your poor analysis of the women's team you can't predict men's results very well either. I mean, come on! "pretty bad our last 5 games or so." Valpo beat Oakland, GB, Milw at Milw and WSU and lost a 3 point game at Detroit. How is that "pretty bad?!"  Hooray! Thank God!
I don't think I've ever even view the Women's basketball thread yet alone predict something. We've had ugly wins the past couple games and we looked horrible against detroit just a few nights ago. I thought we'd come out flat and tired with just 1 day rest. Glad I was very wrong! ;)

wh

Quote from: justducky on February 28, 2015, 10:07:52 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 28, 2015, 09:09:44 AMI think I would rather play uwgb than CSU in the semi.
I hate playing any team twice in a row.

Jubril looks to be really struggling. For us to have much success in either the NIT or NCAA he will need to find his game.

Struggling offensively, yes, but he did an amazing job of grinding on Grady - locking arms, pushing him away from the block, extending his knees, spreading his legs, etc. as tough as Grady is himself, Jubril and Vashiel never gave him so much as a single easy breath. This was one of the best defensive performances I have ever seen a Valpo team play. They completely shut down 2 of the top 6 or 7 players in the league. There were a lot of outstanding defensive performances, and Jubril's was right up there IMO. Lastly, we say this a lot about others, but I think we sometimes forget that Jubril is only a sophomore going up against older more experienced players.

Struggling

SanityLost17

Quote from: Smj on February 28, 2015, 06:52:32 AM
I just need to say I don't like playing CSU. ..   I don't appreciate their style.    I think they foul on almost every play.   They try to hit and bump in every defensive trip as part of their game plan.   Our players always seem so banged up after playing them.

The league should NOT reward their playing style.  (Call fouls so they have to play like the rest of the teams play.)  I also think waters is an ars ever since his post game interview where he said we were not that good and did not beat them - "they just lost"...

As for the win - way to go Valpo!

I hate to say it, but we have been doing our fair share of bumping, reaching, and "purposefully initiating body contact" this season.  Watch all of our double teams.  This is part of the reason we are keeping teams to an average of under 60 points.  You may not like it, but we are doing it more this season than we ever have since joining the horizon league. 

Freedom of movement is dead and aggressive defense is the key to college basketball success.  Butler made it to 2 national championship games by being the hands down most physically aggressive team in the tournament (those years).  Same with VCU getting to the final 4.