• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League Championship -- Tuesday 6 pm CST

Started by humbleopinion, March 08, 2015, 09:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Forgot about this...

One thing that maybe didn't come across on TV - Nickerson played like some someone had just stole his wallet. He was flat out angry. I thought he was going to start foaming at the mouth. Sykes may have been weirded out by him if anything, he was pounding his chest and staring in his eyes. After a stoppage, Nickerson was getting in other UWGB players faces and bumping into them. It didn't look like he was saying anything or jawing, just really intense. In the second half Nickerson got the entire crowd to stand again for a defensive stand (this was after we cooled off on our big run, most of which we were standing for). I was afraid that he would walk into the stands and slap fans for sitting down. He played outstanding defense and really wanted it... at times to his detriment like that dumb behind the back pass... but he was one of the stars of the game in my opinion.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 11, 2015, 10:21:37 AM
Forgot about this...

One thing that maybe didn't come across on TV - Nickerson played like some someone had just stole his wallet. He was flat out angry. I thought he was going to start foaming at the mouth. Sykes may have been weirded out by him if anything, he was pounding his chest and staring in his eyes. After a stoppage, Nickerson was getting in other UWGB players faces and bumping into them. It didn't look like he was saying anything or jawing, just really intense. In the second half Nickerson got the entire crowd to stand again for a defensive stand (this was after we cooled off on our big run, most of which we were standing for). I was afraid that he would walk into the stands and slap fans for sitting down. He played outstanding defense and really wanted it... at times to his detriment like that dumb behind the back pass... but he was one of the stars of the game in my opinion.

His energy and intensity were amazing.  In both tourney games his defense was fantastic.

My wife was a but worried that his antics might get hi a technical, recently or in the future.  But, if he can keep it (just?) in check, awesome!

And, yeah, the behind the back pass was a but like the horrible alley-oop pass (who threw that?), and a few other fast break type plays that didn't quite work, building off amazing energy and trying to do a little too much.  But, in the moment it was high intensity and pretty neat - thankfully didn't cost us this tine.

SanityLost17

Quote from: BrownTown on March 11, 2015, 09:55:17 AM
Wow.  Not sure I've seen a Valpo team with this much character in all the years I've been watching them.  Sure, Green Bay shot horribly, but credit our second-half defense; it was definitely the key to victory last night.  SO GLAD THEY'VE PROVEN ME WRONG; to do what they did virtually without BOTH Walkers AND a cold Peters... amazing.  Nobody thought David Skara would step up the way he did, and without him, we're not celebrating another trip to The Big Dance.  Conversely, if we had been told Skara would be our leading scorer, I'd say most of us would've gulped in disappointment.  I could write a novel about how deep this team has been this season, but hey, that would be preaching to a joyous, happy choir.  Hopefully we can make a little noise!  Go Valpo!

I know at the start of the season that Oren stated that Shane Hammink was a likely starter.  Since Shane and Skara play similar positions, I am actually very glad Hammink was unable to play this year, because that probably allowed Skara to play more minutes to develop as a player.  For once, I think we owe the NCAA a thank you.  Skara develops nicely with more PT and we get Hammink for 2 more years.  WIN WIN.     

vu84v2

Nickerson's intensity did come across on TV. You could see how focused he was on playing great defense on every possession.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on March 11, 2015, 10:34:31 AM
Quote from: a3uge on March 11, 2015, 10:21:37 AM
Forgot about this...

His energy and intensity were amazing.

classof2014

If we play a guard oriented team in the touney we could easily upset them. EVN gives PGs fits, just look at what he's done the past 3 games to shutdown Sykes, Lee, and Lewis. 3 of the best guards in the league. His 6' 8" frame gives him length that most guards, especially PGs, don't contend with on a nightly basis.

The top players in the HL always seemed to have off nights against us... Coincidence? I think not.

sliman

For those of you who watched on TV, what did the announcers have to say about the game other than the obligatory comments about Bryce and The Shot and "Green Bay has taken the crowd out of it" and "now the crowd is back in it."  Did they comment on Sykes' chances in the NBA, good defense or bad offense, etc.  BTW, who were the announcers?

valpopal

How often have we seen the toughness exhibited by members of this team throughout the season? Both Walkers displayed it again last night, especially Darien after his broken nose!

[tweet]575698886926315520[/tweet]

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on March 11, 2015, 11:48:05 AMHow often have we seen the toughness exhibited by members of this team throughout the season? Both Walkers displayed it again last night, especially Darien after his broken nose!
With all the injuries I can't think of a better time to have 9 days off.

What kind of shape might Tevonn and Darien be in by the 19'th? Will Keith look much more like his old self by then?

valpopal

Knowing he likely will receive tempting offers from other programs, I took this photo of Bryce last night near the end of the game with the hope that it is not the last time we see him leading the Crusaders at the ARC.

[tweet]575704404235546625[/tweet]

ValpoHoops

Quote from: sliman on March 11, 2015, 11:46:48 AMBTW, who were the announcers?

Bob Wischusen had the play-by-play (he did the 2013 HL Championship Game, then a few friends and I went out for drinks with him). Bob is the radio voice of the New York Jets and does the Saturday Showcase Big Ten game with Dan Dakich, in addition to a lot of other ESPN work.

Jim Calhoun (former Connecticut coach) had the analysis.

agibson

Quote from: justducky on March 11, 2015, 12:09:45 PM
Quote from: valpopal on March 11, 2015, 11:48:05 AMHow often have we seen the toughness exhibited by members of this team throughout the season? Both Walkers displayed it again last night, especially Darien after his broken nose!
With all the injuries I can't think of a better time to have 9 days off.

What kind of shape might Tevonn and Darien be in by the 19'th? Will Keith look much more like his old self by then?

I suspect that for coaches and players both, the next few days, and 9 days overall, seems like a _long_ break.  In some ways too long.

But, hopefully it does give people time to heal!  I don't know what we can expect.  It sounded like, on the radio pregame, there were rather specific details about Tevonn's injury and status.  Anybody get the details?

classof2014

Quote from: justducky on March 11, 2015, 12:09:45 PM
Will Keith look much more like his old self by then?

To me KC looked like his old self last night. He didn't score much but that was the gameplan after watching the postgame press conference, Bryce said he didn't want KC to try to get to the rim and score because GB has a tendency to block shots, the gameplan worked since GB only had 2 blocks.

KC's stat line was incredibly strong,

8 points, going 5-6 from the FT and hitting the biggest shot of the game as well, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. I think one of those steals was a big one down the final stretch where he ripped the ball out Love's (I think Love's) hands.

EVN is also as close to 100% as he has been all season. It was also nice to know Tevonn will be alright, he might not be a 100% for the tournament but he'll probably be starting.

The scary thing is this team hasn't been a 100% all season, which doesn't even include not having Lexus.

agibson

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 11, 2015, 12:13:57 PM
Jim Calhoun (former Connecticut coach) had the analysis.

The photo with the Oren caption, I think it was, was priceless.  I assume that got posted here?

I watched the second half on replay last night, so got a taste of the broadcasters.  Calhoun was the most distinctive.  I liked some of his analysis, for sure.  Sometimes brought a very interesting coach's perspective.  Some nuts and bolts.

But, he, and to some extent the whole ESPN broadcast, had extreme Keifer Sykes bias.  Calhoun in particular seemed to be rooting for GB and Sykes throughout the second half.  He was rather critical of Peters, as compared to Sykes.  Thought that the only way either team was going to break through was for a star to step forward and take over.  And that Sykes was a much more plausible option for that, and that Peters was dropping the ball.

He really seemed to misunderstand the nature of Peters' game, as we've seen it this season, and of our team.  He might have Sykes and Green Bay pegged reasonably well, but Sykes couldn't step up - we shut him down.  But, Peters doesn't _have_ to take over the game.  Against CSU we were reminded that he sometimes can.  But, last night, and often, Valpo doesn't _need_ him to.  We're a _team_.

I was a bit disappointed by the audio levels on ESPN, as well.  I suppose it's good, and professional, that the broadcasters are plenty loud.  But, after that, they seemed to have the cheerleaders miced (Green Bay cheerleaders?).  And not much on the crowd.  If you were listening for it, you could tell that the crowd was being rather continuously noisy.  But, it didn't have a _drop_ of the energy that was present in the room.  It would have been nice to have some more noise from the ARC included at a reasonable level.  Maybe I'll throw a cell phone video up to give some sort of a feel for the noise.

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on March 11, 2015, 12:23:41 PMI think one of those steals was a big one down the final stretch where he ripped the ball out Love's (I think Love's) hands.

This was one of my favorite plays of the game.

Carter rips the ball out of the shooter's hands, felt like he was stealing a three point shot.  And _he_ gets fouled.  And knocks down both shots.

truth219

Jubril is clutch...he has heart...He deserves some love

Valpofan00

I would love to see some cell phone video. Especially when the crowd is chanting defense and stomping the seats. The place was shaking and it gave me the chills. Loudest I've ever heard that place.

valpopal

Quote from: truth219 on March 11, 2015, 12:30:59 PM
Jubril is clutch...he has heart...He deserves some love

[tweet]575712879510429696[/tweet]

agibson

Quote from: Valpofan00 on March 11, 2015, 12:32:58 PM
I would love to see some cell phone video. Especially when the crowd is chanting defense and stomping the seats. The place was shaking and it gave me the chills. Loudest I've ever heard that place.

I'll see what I can do - I'd love to see others' too.  I'm afraid the stomping didn't come through very well on mine - probably not enough bass pickup on my mic.  But, the stomping _was_ fantastic.

I'm curious, where were you sitting?  Coming in _during_ half time, I just went high figuring there would be space.  So, I was unusually high up in EE.  I did wonder how much of the awesome noise, feel and excitement was the crowd, and the occasion obviously, and how much might have been location.  Does it somehow seem louder up top?

The tournament feel was really good too - good noise from the Green Bay fans, scattered through the arena.  And from their students.  And great to have two pep bands.  Great to get to sing over there band playing the Hey cheer, etc.

I honestly couldn't hear much of John on the PA.  Part of that might be the speaker locations and capabilities up high in the mezzanine.  But, I trust most of it was the crowd.  John does a great job. But, on this occasion, I didn't mind in the least not being able to hear the PA.

vu84v2

ESPN and CBS have great equipment for cutting out background noise. I have been to games with sound over 115 dBs, where your ears ring until the next day, and you can still hear the announcers clearly. No doubt that the ARC was loud and the students looked really into the entire game.

Two other comments:
-Calhoun was OK. I didn't think that he did any meaningful preparation and his insights reflected that. His general theme in the second half was, "not an artistic game, but both teams playing their tails off".
-They need to elevate the primary camera used for games at the ARC.  A simple platform (or a higher one) would solve the problem of the sideline being blocked when the fans in the chairbacks stand.

agibson

There were apparently multiple radio calls of the game last night.

Here's one that's apparently streaming all day as a rebroadcast
http://tunein.com/radio/Road-To-Indianapolis-s239278/

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 11, 2015, 12:24:48 PM
I was a bit disappointed by the audio levels on ESPN, as well.  I suppose it's good, and professional, that the broadcasters are plenty loud.  But, after that, they seemed to have the cheerleaders miced (Green Bay cheerleaders?).  And not much on the crowd.  If you were listening for it, you could tell that the crowd was being rather continuously noisy.  But, it didn't have a _drop_ of the energy that was present in the room.  It would have been nice to have some more noise from the ARC included at a reasonable level.  Maybe I'll throw a cell phone video up to give some sort of a feel for the noise.

Think about the loudest you've ever heard it at the ARC, and then double it. For much of the last 10 minutes and all of the last 5 minutes it was literally deafening.  I had problems hearing people in my own family sitting right next to me.  It was absolutely crazy!

agibson

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 11, 2015, 12:53:08 PM
ESPN and CBS have great equipment for cutting out background noise. I have been to games with sound over 115 dBs, where your ears ring until the next day, and you can still hear the announcers clearly. N

It's impressive technology, and you obviously want to be able to control it.  But, I think they're too aggressive in damping out the crowd.  Some soccer producers do a nice job of getting the balance right.

-They need to elevate the primary camera used for games at the ARC.  A simple platform (or a higher one) would solve the problem of the sideline being blocked when the fans in the chairbacks stand.

Definitely.  It's like they didn't even consider the possibility the chairbacks would stand.  (And, joking aside, they were standing _plenty_ yesterday.  And _always_ stand at the beginning of the game.)

valpotx

Quote from: wh on March 11, 2015, 01:09:41 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 11, 2015, 12:24:48 PM

Think about the loudest you've ever heard it at the ARC, and then double it. For much of the last 10 minutes and all of the last 5 minutes it was literally deafening.  I had problems hearing people in my own family sitting right next to me.  It was absolutely crazy!

Louder than the HL semi-final game against Butler in 2011-2012?  That was the loudest I have ever heard the ARC, even going back to the days when I was on campus.  It was a constant pissing match between Butler and Valpo fans :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on March 11, 2015, 01:11:25 PM

Definitely.  It's like they didn't even consider the possibility the chairbacks would stand.  (And, joking aside, they were standing _plenty_ yesterday.  And _always_ stand at the beginning of the game.)

They had an extra camera along the side of the court that I hadn't seen used before. They probably should have cut to it more often for the sideline action.