• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Selection Sunday Discussion 2015

Started by historyman, March 11, 2015, 02:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which site should we use?

Yahoo
5 (22.7%)
CBS Sports
13 (59.1%)
Other
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

crusadermoe

Hoping for Notre Dame in Columbus.    Next best might be an Iowa St or Northern Iowa in Omaha.   

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on March 14, 2015, 11:32:59 AMfrom bracketmatrix.com/nit

1 - UCLA, Texas A&M, Miami (FL), Tulsa
 2 - Connecticut, Illinois, Richmond, Stanford
 3 - Buffalo, Rhode Island, Old Dominion, Murray State
 4 - Illinois State, George Washington, Minnesota, Alabama
 5 - St. Mary's (CA), Pittsburgh, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Iona
 6 - UTEP, Harvard, Memphis, Vanderbilt
 7 - Michigan, Arizona State, Tennessee, South Dakota State
 8 - William & Mary, St. Francis (NY), Bucknell, Charleston Southern
I know that Central Michigan has already beaten Buffalo twice but will they be able to do it again? I watched some of that tournament last night on ESPN 3 because they are nowhere to be found on any of the cable tv channels.

historyman

Quote from: justducky on March 14, 2015, 12:07:49 PM
Quote from: talksalot on March 14, 2015, 11:32:59 AMfrom bracketmatrix.com/nit 1 - UCLA, Texas A&M, Miami (FL), Tulsa 2 - Connecticut, Illinois, Richmond, Stanford 3 - Buffalo, Rhode Island, Old Dominion, Murray State 4 - Illinois State, George Washington, Minnesota, Alabama 5 - St. Mary's (CA), Pittsburgh, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Iona 6 - UTEP, Harvard, Memphis, Vanderbilt 7 - Michigan, Arizona State, Tennessee, South Dakota State 8 - William & Mary, St. Francis (NY), Bucknell, Charleston Southern
I know that Central Michigan has already beaten Buffalo twice but will they be able to do it again? I watched some of that tournament last night on ESPN 3 because they are nowhere to be found on any of the cable tv channels.

Probably that game will be a lot like the Valpo/GB game. Close until one of the teams breaks away in the last 3 to 4 minutes.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: justducky on March 14, 2015, 12:07:49 PMI watched some of that tournament last night on ESPN 3 because they are nowhere to be found on any of the cable tv channels.

A lot more competition for TV time this weekend with the bigs playing their tournaments. That's the reason the Horizon plays on a Tue before the packed weekend and gets on ESPN.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: historyman on March 14, 2015, 03:33:01 PM
Quote from: justducky on March 14, 2015, 12:07:49 PMI watched some of that tournament last night on ESPN 3 because they are nowhere to be found on any of the cable tv channels.

A lot more competition for TV time this weekend with the bigs playing their tournaments. That's the reason the Horizon plays on a Tue before the packed weekend and gets on ESPN.

The MAC final, in an hour, is on one of the major ESPN networks, same as the Horizon.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on March 14, 2015, 05:39:20 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 14, 2015, 03:33:01 PM

The MAC final, in an hour, is on one of the major ESPN networks, same as the Horizon.

Agreed, however ther is a perception that playing on the big dog is better then the duece.  Not only did we play on ESPN but the timing gave us a much better tv audience then would have happed if we fought it out tonight with the bigs.  I also wonder whether is helps or hurts to have so much time between games.  In our case, this year, I think it will definitely help. T and D Walker are both banged up and hopefully will be at full stength come game time.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Created a handy map for projected seeds from bracket matrix and host site locations. BLUE is first round, GREEN is the Sweet 16.

Some things I noticed:

1. It's really stupid to not have a first round site in Texas or the southwest.
2. Why the heck did they do Portland AND Seattle as first round sites when west coast college basketball is struggling? Top recruits don't want to play in that time zone because there's NO exposure.

wh

Portland/Seattle > Texas = liberal bias

talksalot

anyone else enjoying Ron Hunter Coaching in the Sunbest final?  Be fun to catch up to GaState in the Sweet 16...

a3uge

Here we go... hold onto your butts.

agibson

Pretty full house here in the Union Ballroons, good crowd, good energy.  Everyone initially afraid to cut the cake.

usc4valpo

truth219

Valpofan00

valpo04

StlVUFan

Yeah 13 instead of 12 is a bummer, and I have no idea how good Maryland is, but ....

I GOT MY WISH FOR COLUMBUS!!!! :dance: :cheers:

StlVUFan

If I saw correctly, Buffalo, Valpo, Albany, and the Boise State-Dayton winner are the mid-majors sent to Columbus.

vu72

Hoops.  Would love to see a table showing seeding versus RPI.  From what I can see, Maryland is VERY big.  They certainly will challenge our great rebounding!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo04

A 4 seed for Maryland seems odd.

Ended the season ranked 8th and lost to MSU by 4 in the B1G tourney semifinals.

They will be a tough matchup for Valpo, lead by Dez Wells and Melo Trimble.

Valpofan00

a3uge

The good news: Maryland hasn't been in the tournament since 2010, so they're pretty new to this. Mark Turgeon isn't Tom Izzo. Also, it's in Columbus. So easy road trip.

wh

I was hoping for a 12.  I also was hoping for a better match-up than a top notch B10 team. That said, we were going to be big underdogs to whomever we were matched up against.  The good news is we could not have asked for a better location than Columbus, OH on Friday.  Very doable for many Crusader fans. 

StlVUFan

Even shorter for me since I'll be in Dayton.  I was hoping it would be Thursday, though.  Easier drive back to St. Louis that way.

Ah well.  Just got to rough it ...

a3uge

covufan

I like the matchup.  Many of the rating systems have Maryland well below 16th in the nation.  Our chances against Maryland are better than most other 4 or even 5 seeds.  I think the Columbus crowd will lean towards Valpo, especially if we keep the game close.