• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coaching Rumors

Started by HC, March 24, 2015, 09:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Good Hoops post!

The more I think about it, the less concern I have about any of the players leaving. As it presently sits DePaul is a train wreck at its worst stage - before anyone starts cleaning up the mess. It's probably 2-3 years minimum before Bryce positions them to go to the Dance. This team is close knit. They know as well as we do what they're capable of if they stay together, and all the accolades that go with it.

By the way I can't believe anyone thinks Greg Tonegal would be their choice for head coach. Since when does success in the NAIA translate into taking the reins of the best team in the HL. Greg had nothing to do with building the program, and he has zero experience coaching or recruiting at the D-1 level. Hopefully we all agree that recruiting lower level basketball players in Plymouth and Bremen IN is a completely different world than going toe to toe with every D-1 recruiting team in the Midwest (including major urban centers). Casi in point - women's BB. How's that past lower level coaching success working out?  Talk about a train wreck.

mj

Expecting Bryce to stay here his entire career is like expecting to work for U.S. Steel for 40 years and then retire with a great pension.

If he does go, I hope they give the job to Powell. Valpo is starting to finally tap into the Chicago talent pool because of him. And I think we owe a lot of recent success to that. It just seems like a good fit for both sides.
I believe that we will win.

a3uge

Via Andy Katz

DePaul and Dave Leitao's reps are working on specifics of a deal. Barring hiccup, he will return as head coach, multiple sources told ESPN.

agibson

Katz came out yesterday with what felt sort of like the first "big" organ with presumably well-sourced news.

And, it seems to have cone true.

[tweet]582242852618506240[/tweet]

Which job do we worry about next?

agibson

Er, what a3uge said.  Thought I was on the last page of posts, guess not!

vu84v2

Quote from: ARCInsider on March 29, 2015, 12:49:30 PMI think we should be worried about the Texas opening.  Bryce is a hot name, Scott and family are in Texas, and it is a great job.  This is the kind of position I think Bryce would leave for...and grandma and grandpa might follow.

Bryce is not going to Texas. Their egos are too large and their pockets too deep for them not to select someone that they feel is established at a much higher level than Valpo. The bigger consideration for whether Bryce leaves is the potential for him to be a candidate to backfill whomever Texas hires. As I mentioned in other posts, I think that he would be a top candidate for Wichita State.

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 28, 2015, 08:15:08 PM
Bryce Drew and Bobby Hurley each want the DePaul men's basketball job "badly," according to a source.

What ever happened to multiple independent sources as a journalistic standard?

I mean, they admitted it was one source.

But, it makes you wonder what fraction if this stuff is just made up.  Sometimes by parties with vested interests.

valpotx

Vu84v2 is correct, Texas would refuse to hire a mid-major coach.  They will be going after a proven winner at the Power 5 level. 

DePaul is the only current opening I was a little bit worried about.  I would not worry about Wichita State, St. Johns, Tennessee, or any of the others that are currently available.  I have to think that both Hurley and Drew turned down potential offers, in order to get back to Leitao.  As with any coach, they will always interview, because the worst that can happen is that you most likely get a raise in your current gig.  DePaul will of course spin it as though Leitao was the first choice all along, and neither Hurley nor Drew will have another thing to say about it.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: agibson on March 29, 2015, 01:21:21 PM
Quote from: wh on March 28, 2015, 08:15:08 PM
Bryce Drew and Bobby Hurley each want the DePaul men's basketball job "badly," according to a source.

But, it makes you wonder what fraction if this stuff is just made up.  Sometimes by parties with vested interests.

I really should learn to catch up on the whole thread before replying!

I'm pleased to see the pros weighed in.

webbvufan

Quote from: agibson on March 29, 2015, 01:15:21 PM
Which job do we worry about next?

If the Leitao news is true (I'll believe it when they introduce him at the presser), that's a relief...for now.

Worrying about the next job could be pretty consuming.  Bryce is too classy and too loyal to go after just any job that might be perceived as a step up, and that is a big part of why he is so well regarded.  There will continue to be suitors trying to convince him that their job is "special". At some point, the right opportunity will come along for Bryce and his family.  When that happens, I will be grateful for all he has done for VU and will wish him and his family the best.

In the mean time, I think that we shouldn't worry about those things that we can't control, like who comes calling next.  I think that the job we should "worry about" is the Valpo job.  Not to hijack the thread, but we need to leverage the talent and success on the court,  the quality and stability of the coaching staff, and make the investments necessary to help the program reach its potential going forward.  Many would argue that we missed a chance to do that after the Sweet Sixteen run, so I'm hoping that mh and ml will do the things necessary to make sure that history does not repeat itself.  The Valpo administrators need to make this job a "special" one.

vu72

Quote from: ARCInsider on March 29, 2015, 12:49:30 PM
I think we should be worried about the Texas opening.  Bryce is a hot name, Scott and family are in Texas, and it is a great job.  This is the kind of position I think Bryce would leave for...and grandma and grandpa might follow.

That won't happen.  The folks at Texas have much to high of an opinion on this spot to take a young mid-major coach.  They will be looking for a Larry Brown type as was hired at SMU
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Chicago sports really do not care aboutl the DePaul basketball situation. If the news that Leiteo is their new coach, I am happy for Valpo but more happy for Bryce. I think he is smart enough not to deal with that job and their Inept AD Ponsetto.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on March 29, 2015, 07:58:37 AMMany seem to think the decision is easy: "of course Bryce would leave for a big time position. Think of making 5X your current salary, having great facilities and tons of national exposure" 

But is it really that easy?  The Dave Leitao situation comes to mind.  If you take the job and fail--say, after four years, you are all of 44 years old and then what? 
uh...he got an ACC job out of it.  i'd say he's done ok.

worst case scenario:  he's getting his old job back.  bryce would too...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 29, 2015, 02:26:03 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 29, 2015, 07:58:37 AMMany seem to think the decision is easy: "of course Bryce would leave for a big time position. Think of making 5X your current salary, having great facilities and tons of national exposure" 

But is it really that easy?  The Dave Leitao situation comes to mind.  If you take the job and fail--say, after four years, you are all of 44 years old and then what?

uh...he got an ACC job out of it.  i'd say he's done ok.

worst case scenario:  he's getting his old job back.  bryce would too...

You may have missed my point.  Sure he made some big bucks for a few years.  But he could have ended up being only an assistant after a failure. If you have been the big dog, that never is easy.  As for Bryce, I presume you mean if his successor had failed.  If his replacement is doing a great job that option wouldn't be there. 

I personally took a major risk for much bigger bucks at about the same age.  It worked out for a while and in the long run was a disaster relative to staying the course.  In spite of the failure, I had the chance to be my own boss and that was something I'll always remember.  Everyone is different concerning personal career risks.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

elephtheria47

Or, you could end up like Todd Lickliter who was national coach of the year in 2007 and is now out of coaching basketball all together after coaching the last 2-3 years at Marion University (D2) in Indianapolis. Just never know.

Sounds like Depaul found their coach - - good for us. What's not good for us is Bryce's name being floated around at every job opening. Would be tough for a sought-after recruit to seriously entertain an offer if they think the coach may leave for a job every year (although I'm sure Bryce has a more-than-okay response to this on the recruiting trail).

agibson

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 29, 2015, 03:02:38 PM(although I'm sure Bryce has a more-than-okay response to this on the recruiting trail)

I think this is likely the case,  but I am pretty curious what the response is!  A succession plan?  Some moderate guarantee he'll be around for a while? 

He seems like the kind of guy who would have an answer, and would mean it - so I'm definitely curious to know what he says.

Vinny

A new/renovated basketball facility is how many decades away? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the team doesn't even have a legit practice facility right? Can't blame Bryce one bit when he leaves. He doesn't seem to be too swayed by pay/salary. He deserves a better arena than the prep gym he's working with now. If the administration was worth even half its pay, it would've realized its apathy towards bettering the situation would eventually lead to the face of the athletic department leaving for greener pastures.

We might as well enjoy the last days/couple years while we can. We're in the twilight of our basketball heyday. Greg Tonagel/Jake Diebler as Bryce's successor? Talk about a fall from grace. Every effort needs to be made to show Bryce this is a respectable job. Valpo will regress alot without him.

truth219

True statement Vinny. ....if I were in charge at valpo I'd be plotting the ground for the brand new drew arena. The arc has served it's purpose but over due for an update.  I can't afford chairback season tix and my butt hurts from the bleachers

Chairback

Quote from: Vinny on March 29, 2015, 04:57:05 PMA new/renovated basketball facility is how many decades away?

No funds for this I have to assume.  We average less than 3K per game and attendance is not climbing.  Is this realistic for funds to be used on this?

I've always wondered what value does the basketball program bring to the university?  Does it increase enrollment?  Would it really hurt if our basketball program was poor?  Do we make any money from gate revenue at the end of the year? 

wh

Being a fan of a good mid major program is never easy.  Always wondering if your coach is going to leave, wondering which HL star player Tom Izzo is going to pick off next, etc. Speaking of which, I would be sleeping with 1 eye open if I were Greg Kampe.   

truth219

Valparaiso basketball is what makes the university relevant to the rest of the country for the most part....yes it's worth it

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 29, 2015, 05:34:25 PMsleeping with 1 eye open if I were Greg Kampe
GRIPPING YOUR FELDER TIGHT

HE'LL EXIT, RIGHT?
MARTEZ FIGHTS

TAKE TOM'S HAND
OFF TO EASTERN LANSING LAND

Metallica - Enter Sandman [Official Music Video]
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on March 29, 2015, 02:38:06 PMYou may have missed my point.  Sure he made some big bucks for a few years.  But he could have ended up being only an assistant after a failure.
I don't think Bryce is the kind of person who worries too much about failing at stuff.  I would think a big-time coaching job would be no place for someone afraid of failure.

Quote from: vu72 on March 29, 2015, 02:38:06 PMAs for Bryce, I presume you mean if his successor had failed.  If his replacement is doing a great job that option wouldn't be there. 
Pretty sure that whoever the AD was would fire his coach even if it were his wife and she was coming off an Elite 8 appearance if a Drew wanted back in at VU.  Besides, there's always other jobs at the same level.

Quote from: vu72 on March 29, 2015, 02:38:06 PMI personally took a major risk for much bigger bucks at about the same age.  It worked out for a while and in the long run was a disaster relative to staying the course.
I daresay this colors your assessment of the situation.  I on the other hand am looking nationwide for jobs, so that colors mine :)

vu72

Quote from: Vinny on March 29, 2015, 04:57:05 PM
A new/renovated basketball facility is how many decades away? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the team doesn't even have a legit practice facility right? Can't blame Bryce one bit when he leaves. He doesn't seem to be too swayed by pay/salary. He deserves a better arena than the prep gym he's working with now. If the administration was worth even half its pay, it would've realized its apathy towards bettering the situation would eventually lead to the face of the athletic department leaving for greener pastures.

We might as well enjoy the last days/couple years while we can. We're in the twilight of our basketball heyday. Greg Tonagel/Jake Diebler as Bryce's successor? Talk about a fall from grace. Every effort needs to be made to show Bryce this is a respectable job. Valpo will regress alot without him.

A lot of money was spent to totally renovate Hilltop as a dedicated practice facility.  True, it is used for many other things, but it is still very nice.

govalpogo

Just the way we Drew it up!  ;D  Reading the comments it seems that DePaul fans still do exist and have strong negative feelings about the hire. 

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12581470/dave-leitao-named-depaul-blue-demons-head-basketball-coach