• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiscoCrusader

I reacted very strongly when Traitor boy (formerly known as golden boy) left as our head coach in search of fame and fortune.  I said he was dead to me.  Many of you criticized me for this comment.

Now you see why I made it.

I said this because the departure of the Drew family sets in motion a chain of dominoes which will be impossible to halt.  Within three years we will be back to the pre Drew era (4-24) and you will all be left holding the bag.

I for one am bailing early.  Thanks Bryce.

ValpoDad89

Wisco, I think you're jumping the gun here my friend. Skara's loss hurts but does not devestate the program just as Drew leaving doesn't. Give Lottich a chance to build on what his predecessor did before ringing a death knell to a proud program. A Drew mass exodus affords the Valpo community a chance to seize prime real estate at lower prices since a bunch of higher priced homes are now on here market. You want to have a home on the course at Aberdeen, now is your chance!!!

rogerwilco

Wisco, C U Next Tournament when you're back on the bandwagon!

Anyway, it seems shady that there was an expectation that Vujic was going to be appointed to the staff.  :-X

The most fantastic tale told by VU basketball is with foreign players not knowing the difference between Valpo and Duke. I'll just say, it's no miracle that VU has landed so many international players over the years.

a3uge

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on April 20, 2016, 11:38:08 PM
I reacted very strongly when Traitor boy (formerly known as golden boy) left as our head coach in search of fame and fortune.  I said he was dead to me.  Many of you criticized me for this comment.

I said this because the departure of the Drew family sets in motion a chain of dominoes which will be impossible to halt.  Within three years we will be back to the pre Drew era (4-24) and you will all be left holding the bag.

Bye Felicia

ARCInsider

:troll:

VU2624

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 20, 2016, 11:25:58 PMI actually wanted to quote ValpoPals response and it didn't quite take. From what I understand, at least 12 kids,  transferred out after the Fall semester whom were Freshmen football players. I will try and get names if need be. I know one in particular came here from Gary and was told whatever monies were afforded to him in "scholarship" would not be there for his Sophmore year so he decided to skip then as he nor his family could not afford Valpo tuition in its entirety. Apparently he is playing JUCO football next year. Being a NON scholarship sport, but affording grants and other tuition relief to players, I know that the football staff has to be selective on who they give "opportunities" to. Football is a much different animal than Basketball. As far as Football goes, I know I can answer any questions you may have as the person dating my daughter is playing within the program.

Between the kids in uniform and the injured for spring players there were over 70 rostered spring players over the weekend. They graduated 15 or so. They lost RB Legend who was injured and DNR plus 2 WRs and a QB after the season. During the fall there were a few who dropped off the team when they realized they weren't going to move off the scout team. All of this is quite normal and is actually better than last year's transition.

VULB#62

Paul's most recent article on this situation in the NWI Times

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/the-servant-of-two-masters/article_9b8322d0-07ef-11e6-a241-f74cbb5d6508.html

Well worth reading.  It chronicles pretty much what happened and how it went down.  It includes direct quotes from Maravilla, so there is balance there. 

Thanks, Paul, for supplying context and perspective.

NativeCheesehead

F$%#'N phenomenal story, Paul.

Maravilla is a scumbag. Pretty much says he ordered the transfer, then whines that they're blocking a transfer to Vandy. "It's Un-Valpo like"? Really? You're hiding behind a "religious" institution while pimping these kids out and you want to talk about values? Really? Sorry. This was a great bit of reporting but only served to piss me off even more.

chef

BTW: As someone that was around the team as much as anyone the last two years, I can tell you without question that Skara was very close to Matt....So any comment from Maravilla about coaching changes...closeness to Bryce, recruited by Bryce and Roger is all  :censored: misdirection.

VU2014

That is a pretty damning story. Good work/writing by Paul. Will Paul Oren be available when Charlie Rose retires from 60 minutes? Good stuff.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 21, 2016, 03:37:39 PM
Paul's most recent article on this situation in the NWI Times

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/the-servant-of-two-masters/article_9b8322d0-07ef-11e6-a241-f74cbb5d6508.html

Well worth reading.  It chronicles pretty much what happened and how it went down.  It includes direct quotes from Maravilla, so there is balance there. 

Thanks, Paul, for supplying context and perspective.
Well done!  Looks like he found the correct words.

RS

Thank you Paul for an article well done.  Definitely feel for David, A young man that seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. I wonder if all our speculation on the Board has made it even more difficult for him to even think about changing his mind. Also, wondering why his name has yet to appear on the Verbal Commits website as it has been two days since his announcement. And finally how does everyone feel about VU blocking him to possibly transfer to Vanderbilt? Is there more to that story than we know about?

VULB#62

Quote from: RS on April 21, 2016, 05:22:41 PM
Thank you Paul for an article well done.  Definitely feel for David, A young man that seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. I wonder if all our speculation on the Board has made it even more difficult for him to even think about changing his mind. Also, wondering why his name has yet to appear on the Verbal Commits website as it has been two days since his announcement. And finally how does everyone feel about VU blocking him to possibly transfer to Vanderbilt? Is there more to that story than we know about?

I was thinking the same thing as I read Paul's article.  I also felt that there was a left-handed swipe at Bryce for not connecting back with the NW Indiana press after he made the decision to leave.  It goes back to what some posters have mentioned -- no real mention of Valpo in Bryce's presser or afterward. Like, maybe, there was something festering way deep down that no one knows about (my evil twin, Oliver Stone, whispering in my ear here.)

VU2014

Bryce did a podcast with ESPN Basketball Andy Katz. He very briefly mentioned Valpo when he was asked about us. He gave the PR scripted line, "prayed about it, special place, blah blah blah" I'm happy for Bryce and I'm not going to lie he's in a pretty good spot and got a huge raise, but I'm not going to lie these wounds are still a little fresh and every time I hear some thing about Bryce it kind of (lightly) stings and (i hate that it) annoys me. When I heard Bryce met with branchen Hazen this week and they're in the top mix for him to go there it, just makes me think "what if" bryce stayed? Would we be likely to land him? But whatever. I'm excited for the Coach Lottich era and think we have a bright future. Sorry to get off the Skara topic.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15271556

vu72

Don't let the keyboard hit you in the a__ on the way out!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

So where are we now? 

~  David is conflicted in terms of torn loyalties (I think). He also has to find a school and, of course, enroll.  Then he has to get used to a brand new coach who may not know his strengths and he has to live up to transfer expectations that may be unrealistic.  He has to sit out an entire season while Valpo goes back to the HL finals and his friends are living the good life. 
~  Vujic is now persona non grata on the campus from which he graduated and has burned any bridges in terms of a coaching job at VU. 
~  Maravilla, once a great source of international prospects, is a also reviled.
~  Matt has lost a key player on a team that would be very, very good next year with David and still will be very good without him.

So, who won, who lost?  All parties lost including VU.  But the party that lost the most, IMO and so unfairly, is David.  He never would have made the NBA, but, as Valpo has demonstrated, he could do very well going back to Europe after graduation and might probably have a wonderful professional experience there. He still might, but because of the mess we witnessed, I think his mind will be forever messed up and he might never reach his potential.  He's leaving his second family.  One that nurtured him , accepted him and helped him grow.  He will be hard pressed to find that atmosphere anywhere else.

RS

Good comments #62.  Meant to mention earlier that Vujic had a job with the basketball as head of basketball operations.  But he left for greener pastures and has since lost his job 2 times due to coaching changes. Seems like he has had is opportunity with VU.  In the end we need Matt to develop his own brand of basketball with players and coaches that will work hard for the program. Just my 2 cents.

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 21, 2016, 04:08:05 PM
F$%#'N phenomenal story, Paul.

Maravilla is a scumbag. Pretty much says he ordered the transfer, then whines that they're blocking a transfer to Vandy. "It's Un-Valpo like"? Really? You're hiding behind a "religious" institution while pimping these kids out and you want to talk about values? Really? Sorry. This was a great bit of reporting but only served to piss me off even more.

Love this post. I completely agree.

valpotx

I'd be curious to know why Lottich didn't hire Vujic.  Were there hints in his interview that there would be player trouble if he was not brought on board?  If so, and Lottich took the high road, he forever has my respect!  Based on what I have read, I wouldn't put it past Vu to have done such a thing, since my view of him is forever changed.  He was always the fun-loving guy that had his own hand symbol to represent both the school and himself (an 'ok' sign to spell out 'VU').  Now, he is just some d-bag that took his ball (Skara) and went home.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Having witnessed countless legitimate, explainable misunderstandings I was at first uncomfortable with the "scumbag" characterization. BUT! As the hours tick past and the information filters in, maybe it is an understatement.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 21, 2016, 05:30:22 PM
Quote from: RS on April 21, 2016, 05:22:41 PMThank you Paul for an article well done.  Definitely feel for David, A young man that seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. I wonder if all our speculation on the Board has made it even more difficult for him to even think about changing his mind. Also, wondering why his name has yet to appear on the Verbal Commits website as it has been two days since his announcement. And finally how does everyone feel about VU blocking him to possibly transfer to Vanderbilt? Is there more to that story than we know about?
I was thinking the same thing as I read Paul's article.  I also felt that there was a left-handed swipe at Bryce for not connecting back with the NW Indiana press after he made the decision to leave.  It goes back to what some posters have mentioned -- no real mention of Valpo in Bryce's presser or afterward. Like, maybe, there was something festering way deep down that no one knows about (my evil twin, Oliver Stone, whispering in my ear here.)

I don't think it odd at all that a coach moving on moved on without much reference to his former home.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on April 21, 2016, 10:26:19 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 21, 2016, 05:30:22 PM
Quote from: RS on April 21, 2016, 05:22:41 PMThank you Paul for an article well done.  Definitely feel for David, A young man that seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. I wonder if all our speculation on the Board has made it even more difficult for him to even think about changing his mind. Also, wondering why his name has yet to appear on the Verbal Commits website as it has been two days since his announcement. And finally how does everyone feel about VU blocking him to possibly transfer to Vanderbilt? Is there more to that story than we know about?

I don't think it odd at all that a coach moving on moved on without much reference to his former home.

This was not your normal stepping stones passing through on the way to greener pastures. Bryce was the last stage in 28 years of the Drew family coaching string.  The Drews and Valpo BB have been/were synonymous for nearly three decades. That kid grew up in the ARC, played at VHS, helped make his dad a winner, brought national recognition to the university, returned to his alma mater, paid his dues as an assistant to his father and, when it came his turn, he had a remarkable run himself. None of that would have been possible if VU had decided after those first 5 lousy years to pull the plug on Homer. Sorry, but some acknowledgement of where one is from should be in order here.

oklahomamick

I don't see the big ordeal of giving Ivan a spot at the end of the bench.  It would have kept Skara and helped with potential Euro recruits. Plus I think its important for a Alumni to be on the staff.  Not very many places have this but I think its important. Programs do it all the time and I don't necessary think its slimy. 
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

JustDucky, I would normally never use that term to describe somebody I have not personally met. I would be more likely to reference the action than the individual. A company I used to work for has had some business dealings with ISM. I have more than enough "character" references to make that statement with confidence.

hoopfan22

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 22, 2016, 06:13:20 AM
I don't see the big ordeal of giving Ivan a spot at the end of the bench.  It would have kept Skara and helped with potential Euro recruits.  Programs do it all the time and I don't necessary think its slimy.

Meh. i'd rather have CA