• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Financing AC in the ARC

Started by historyman, July 11, 2018, 11:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Once every year my friend from Florida (Ft Lauderdale area), Mr. Valpo on this board, although he has not posted anything in years but he reads everything, comes for a visit to Valpo and the campus. He loves to talk to anyone he can and strike up conversations about Valpo in general and most importantly the athletic teams and the most important team, MBB. He and I, along with some other friends have been observing the skill instruction seminars (remember, you don't call them practices) run by Coach Lottich last week and this week.

In one of our conversations Mr. Valpo asked MLB exactly how much money it would take to fund the installation of air conditioning in the ARC. The answer we got was $500,000. MLB also said that we need to get improvements done to the ARC in the next few years to make the Missouri Valley Conference happy with our facilities. The athletic dept did not feel this kind of urgency in the past to get these kind of improvements done to the ARC previously in the Horizon League.

Both Mr. Valpo and I and some others on this board have noticed that a lot of people on this board have asked for a way to donate directly to the athletic dept for a specific project. Here is your chance to donate to a specific project. MLB has stated that any donations that are designated for a specific project such as "AC for the ARC" will go directly to that project. You will need to put on the memo line or include a note with the check that the donation to the athletic dept is for the air conditioning in the Athletics Recreation Center. So let's go out and tell all our friends, relatives, neighbors and anybody you think will donate to the AC for the ARC cause to send their checks to

In Care of
Kris Sanders, Administrative Assistant
Athletics Recreation Center
1009 Union Street
Valparaiso, IN 46383

On the checks write "AC for the ARC" or something similar. Or write a note on what project you want to fund which in this case is air conditioning for the ARC.

Please pass the word on to as many people as you know. Nobody gives money to projects they don't know about and are not asked to give money directly to the project. If we don't ask how can people give? We truly need AC for the ARC.

Kris Sanders will be tabulating the amounts that come to the athletic dept for this AC for the ARC project.

I will try to keep in touch with her on a regular basis to report how this board is doing on raising money for the AC for the ARC project and get a report updated regularly on this thread.

Yes, it seems like a huge mountain of money to raise but if this board can start the climb up that mountain it's one area that the athletic dept does not have to put more time and effort into.

Let's do it! Put your money where your mouth is and send your donations directly to the athletic dept for this very important project.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUGrad1314

Can I drop off cash donations? If so who would I speak to?

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 12, 2018, 02:49:17 AM
Can I drop off cash donations? If so who would I speak to?

Those cash donations should be taken to

Richard Andrew Pitino
5th & Broadway
New York City, NY 10001

There is a small office at the corner of 5th Ave and Broadway
There is a sign on the door that says
"I still have children to put through college, why did Louisville throw me under the bus, everybody else was doing it too FUND"
Drop the money in the garbage can outside and then wait for the number 5 bus to pass through the intersection. The money should be in a red gym bag. Donations under $5,000 in cash will not be accepted---what do you think this is?---a small time mid-major operation?

bbtds

All joking aside this is an excellent idea and I hope this message board can gather some donations for the athletic dept that will truly help out the team on it's way to funding the air conditioning for the ARC.

VUGrad1314

Then we can move on to the rec center if a lead donor hasn't been found by then and REALLY get the ball rolling! Speaking of which (and not to derail this thread) how is that project going?

vu72

I certainly hope it can get done but, remember that we struggled to fund the $2500 project for the athletic department which was part of the go-fund-me campaign.  :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

I have a feeling that this will get done soon one way or the other. It's too important not to. We're just being given a chance to pitch in\being told how we can help future projects as well. This may be something a good portion of our share of any MVC tournament money\MVC media money goes. This was one of the biggest benefits of moving up: increased pressure and impetus to make important facility upgrades coupled with more money with which to do so through the richer revenue streams offered by the MVC.

Chairback

I'd make the PA upgrade first.  We simply cannot hear John which is a shame as he is a significant part of the arc environment.  He adds a lot of excitement when you can hear him.

VU2014

It's interesting to hear the MVC Offices are putting pressure on Valpo to upgrade the ARC. Maybe it's not surprising and I think all of us on this board would love to see improvements as well, but what kind of pressure could they put on Valpo? Ask politely? Many Alums/Fans have been asking politely for years.

Maybe it's just me but I've never had an issue with there being no AC during the Winters when it's basketball season, but the heat is brutal during Volleyball season at the ARC.

bigmosmithfan1

I'm glad to hear the MVC is putting pressure on VU about upgrading the ARC. As well they should. It's no longer a Division-I-quality facility, much less up to the standards of other facilities in the Valley. Valpo needs to get serious about this, posthaste. Adding AC without other improvements is lipstick on a pig.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on July 12, 2018, 06:28:51 AM
I certainly hope it can get done but, remember that we struggled to fund the $2500 project for the athletic department which was part of the go-fund-me campaign.  :(

How about we make that our first step for the AC for the ARC fund? Can we raise more than the $2500 that was raised in the Athletic Dept's go-fund-me campaign. Certainly as a group we can do better than that?!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Reminder, make your check out to Valparaiso University, designate it to the AC for the ARC fund and mail it to

In care of
Kris Sanders, Administrative Asst
Athletics Recreation Center
1009 Union Street
Valparaiso, IN 46383

Make it happen!

historyman

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on July 12, 2018, 10:13:26 AM
I'm glad to hear the MVC is putting pressure on VU about upgrading the ARC. As well they should. It's no longer a Division-I-quality facility, much less up to the standards of other facilities in the Valley. Valpo needs to get serious about this, posthaste. Adding AC without other improvements is lipstick on a pig.

But it is a first step and something that needs done. You might not think that not having AC in the ARC doesn't effect the MBB team. Think again. Right now the MBB team has to have open gym in a hot ARC when the women's team is working out in Hilltop. Yes, this heat at this time of summer has a great effect on the way the MBB team plays during the season.

It's time for the members of this message board to stop complaining about what the athletic Dept isn't getting done and contribute to the solution.

ARCInsider

Not only do they have open gym in the heat, they have actually had to rent the Calvary Church gym in the past for summer practices.  CC has a nice gym, but that's totally unacceptable for a D1 program.

historyman

Quote from: ARCInsider on July 12, 2018, 11:54:18 PM
Not only do they have open gym in the heat, they have actually had to rent the Calvary Church gym in the past for summer practices.  CC has a nice gym, but that's totally unacceptable for a D1 program.

From what I understood from what the players said was that the facility that the team uses off site but in Valpo does not cost the University any money.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: historyman on July 13, 2018, 01:46:24 PM
Quote from: ARCInsider on July 12, 2018, 11:54:18 PMNot only do they have open gym in the heat, they have actually had to rent the Calvary Church gym in the past for summer practices.  CC has a nice gym, but that's totally unacceptable for a D1 program.
From what I understood from what the players said was that the facility that the team uses off site but in Valpo does not cost the University any money.

I don't think the cost is an issue.  Having to go off-site for home practices because of an issue like AC is unacceptable for a D1 program.

talksalot

Quote from: Chairback on July 12, 2018, 08:07:18 AMI'd make the PA upgrade first.  We simply cannot hear John which is a shame as he is a significant part of the arc environment.  He adds a lot of excitement when you can hear him.

awww, shucks... thanks...

vu72

Quote from: talksalot on July 13, 2018, 04:50:37 PMI'd make the PA upgrade first. 

Whew!  I'm glad I kept reading.  I thought he wanted a new announcer!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on July 13, 2018, 04:50:37 PM
Quote from: Chairback on July 12, 2018, 08:07:18 AMI'd make the PA upgrade first.  We simply cannot hear John which is a shame as he is a significant part of the arc environment.  He adds a lot of excitement when you can hear him.

awww, shucks... thanks...

Nothing against John, a truly great PA man, but when you walk in the ARC you don't notice immediately that the PA system doesn't sound that great but when there is no AC for a volleyball match you feel it instantly and it effects the playing of the match.

Chairback

The sad thing is both of these are just basics.  Simple Heating, cooling, and sound. 

We will lose recruits (and much needed younger fan base) if something doesn't happen soon.  No progress or commitment on new or remodel shows the school doesn't get it.  Others school move forward and we stay in 1994 mode.

I hope the MVC has us on a strict deadline for major upgrades.  I would.    You don't ask the prettiest girl in school to prom and then pick her up in a crap car.  You'll be driving home alone.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Chairback on July 13, 2018, 08:53:56 PM
The sad thing is both of these are just basics.  Simple Heating, cooling, and sound. 

We will lose recruits (and much needed younger fan base) if something doesn't happen soon.  No progress or commitment on new or remodel shows the school doesn't get it.  Others school move forward and we stay in 1994 mode.

I hope the MVC has us on a strict deadline for major upgrades.  I would.    You don't ask the prettiest girl in school to prom and then pick her up in a crap car.  You'll be driving home alone.

I'd rather see dorms with AC and academic buildings from this millennium if it's my spend.

usc4valpo

ac is a necessity these days. I am sure all other program in the MVC have AC in their athletic centers.

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 13, 2018, 09:09:18 PM
Quote from: Chairback on July 13, 2018, 08:53:56 PM

I'd rather see dorms with AC and academic buildings from this millennium if it's my spend.

You might get that quicker if the MBB program is propped up enough to make a run like Loyola's.

VUGrad1314

As much as I've wondered about us being able to buy home games with our new conference stature I would even be willing to see the team take a few buy games on the road to help finance facility upgrades to secure our long-term future. These upgrades are far too valuable to be approached lightly and we need all hands on deck and all potential revenue streams open. The quicker we get these done the quicker we can really start to launch ourselves forward.

usc4valpo

I just cannot understand how Valpo can is so strapped for funding. This is 2018 - AC is a necessity.