• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce Drew...

Started by HutchJones, January 30, 2019, 05:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: JD24 on March 14, 2019, 08:17:32 PM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 14, 2019, 10:46:42 AMThis is the business, which you fully accepted when you took the big payday, and coaches who have done better have been fired by other P5 schools in recent years.
Probably not meant this way but this comes across so negative towards a move that I think most people in B. Drew's situation would make at the time. He's going from the Horizon League to the SEC fer christ's sake.

Is it negative or the reality of being paid handsomely to produce?

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteProbably not meant this way but this comes across so negative towards a move that I think most people in B. Drew's situation would make at the time. He's going from the Horizon League to the SEC fer christ's sake.

Hey, get paid. I won't blame you. I'd do it, too. But that comes at a price. Bryce left a gig where he had lifetime job security for the bright lights and the big money. No shame in that -- most people would make the same choice. However, there's a big string attached to all of that, as he's learning this season.

M

All I know is the value of my Bryce Drew VHS autograph card is tanking in value. I'll post a picture tomorrow if I remember.

may know

Man, that whole sister/her family and Homer moving to Nashville could backfire.

SanityLost17

If given 1 more year I think he could right the ship and get close to a .500 record and I think have winning records every year after that.  But I would not blame Vandy for firing him right now.    He also had some bad luck this year.  Some of it was self inflicted.  Got greedy going after one and done athletes which is not a game he is equipped to play.  Needs to play to his strengths which is player development. 

crusader05

Yep, the reality is the ability to go after the bigger recruits doesn't mean you know how to handle/coach/manage them. From what I heard Peters was a strong personality as a player because of his intensity and competitiveness and he was a decent kid with less ego than the average top 5 player.

vu72

Two opinions on Bryce's future.  One "off with his head" and the other "the AD can't fire him because the AD has only been on the job for a month"--not exactly a glowing endorsement.

I guess having a 20 game losing streak will have its consequences...

https://vanderbilthustler.com/22442/featured/klein-bryce-drew-deserves-one-more-chance-but-with-conditions/

https://vanderbilthustler.com/22454/featured/schneider-why-vanderbilt-should-fire-bryce-drew/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Just Sayin

Browsing Real Time RPI.

223     Vanderbilt    9-23    0.4669   63    0.5508     Sec   0-19
224     Valparaiso    13-18    0.4663   224    0.4801     Mvc 7-11

Haha

valpo64

I'll bet Drew's assistants are a little jumpy too.  I can't imagine that their contracts have long-term protections in case they are let go although I doubt that Bryce will be let go, at least not for next year.

crusader05

At least Rowdy had a good game for the Mavs. Otherwise not a great week for Valpo basketball, past and present

VULB#62

M

Fire Matt, bring back Bryce, he brings Pippen Jr with him, Pippen Sr pays to rebuild the ARC, Crusaders go on 10 year run, call Hollywood

NativeCheesehead

Wish Bryce and the Drew family the best. But let's PLEASE not do this "Bring Him Back" crap.

may know

ARCInsider

oklahomamick

Ok, I said I transferred.  But I want my last post to say

Bring him back. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

Changed my mind. I agree!

Bring Tom Smith Back!

VUGrad1314

If it's possible bringing Bryce back is literally the best thing we can do for ourselves right now. It has to be done if there's any way to do it. Clearly we still need each other.

M

Could pay him next to nothing while Vandy is still paying him  8-)

mj

Is there any reason why Valpo shouldn't reach out to Bryce and see if he's interesting in coming back? What's the downside?

Not saying he would want to come back. But on paper, the idea makes sense...
I believe that we will win.

M

Bring him back...then we would only need to b!tch about the timeouts we don't have at the end of games.

Just Sayin

I love Bryce Drew and feel for him now. But Vandy did the right thing. Valpo should have done the same thing with Lottich. The AD at Vandy showed real leadership and commitment to the athletic program and its tradition of excellence and winning. Even if it costs money.

Quote"Vanderbilt is committed to competing at the highest levels on and off the court. After careful consideration, we've decided to make a change to the leadership of our men's basketball program."