• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Restructure to air raid offense

Started by usc4valpo, September 27, 2020, 09:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Ok, the football team has time to restructure and be creative and discover new concepts - how about an air raid offense ala Mike Leach once we find a QB who can accommodate this? Just for fun.

JD24

I thought Limbach brought the program back a bit to the 1970's using tighter formations and a playbook with some plays I thought were pee wee ball-ish. However this can work because of the rare use of them by other teams. Davidson, to some degree, does the same thing with their new staff and offense but to a much more successful degree. Their offense at times reminds me of sandlot football.

As to an Air Raid offense...sure if you want to try something different. There are plusses and minuses. The wide splits of the OL can provide greater protection to move the point of the throw around a bit. It can also lead to greater pressure from the defense on the same point of the throw. The no huddle aspect can keep the defense on high alert and tire them out. It can also lead to quick 3 and outs which only serve to tire your own defense out.

A lot of concepts of the Air Raid are already used. Whether a fulltime move to it would work is anyone's guess and it probably has just as much chance going the other way as anything else. I also thought the offense was coming together a bit last year after what I thought was an abysmal start.

In addition, Mike Leach's offense is not his alone nor is he the most successful coach in history. He's good but I think a look at why he hasn't been more successful would also need to be done. Interestingly Cliff Kingsbury was headed down nearly the same exact competitive road as Leach in college prior to being hired by the Cardinals.

usc4valpo

Leach is a character and is great building a team with subpar talent compared to his conference competition . He got a raw deal getting fired from Texas Tech because of Craig James being a helicopter parent to his son who played there. He also did a great job at Wazzu - the toughest coaching job in the PAC 12.

That being said, you also have to have the right tools which we certainly don't have., but it can be entertains and intriguing to recruits. I was just brainstorming.

Outstanding response JD24. You have to be impressed with a win at LSU even during these difficult times.

valpofb16

We don't have a QB that has shown they have accuracy for air raid...

I am hoping with our speedy QB and thicker RBs we are looking at a more run heavy spread with option reads. (JET, QB Power, IZZY, OZ), with vertical concepts in the pass game to hit occasional long ball.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 27, 2020, 02:15:40 PMWe don't have a QB that has shown they have accuracy for air raid... I am hoping with our speedy QB and thicker RBs we are looking at a more run heavy spread with option reads. (JET, QB Power, IZZY, OZ), with vertical concepts in the pass game to hit occasional long ball.
Which speedy QB is that? I assume this year's roster doesn't play or do you think they'll play at least a few games in the spring....and I certainly hope they do...?

covufan

valpofb16

Presumably it is Duncan at QB as he was scene in scrimmage photos. Imagine if there is a spring season he will play.

From what I know

QB: Duncan is the incumbent. Nimz was probably the better HS player but very one dimentional. This staff loves Salyers
RB: Allison and Haugh look to be the guys here. Washington has a ton of talent but this is his 5th school...
WR: Bingham, Larose, Reese figure to start. Can add Ross and Contreras to that mix
TE: Bittner is the guy, if no season complete wild card between Vickers/Conlin
OL: Biggest Question mark on team. Byrd has done enough to earn a spot. Parish and Dixon were the two best freshman last year. O'Doherty returning but left a lot to be desired. If no spring season look for a lot of new names

P:Neisner
K: Bartholomew?

DL: Purty, Orlandini, Satoski, Germain. Martins in mix. Think we have a talented group of freshman here
LB: Peifer in a boot. Psota,Skarecky, Twigg will likely hold down fort. Annis in mix as well
DB: Horton/Hebda/Hutcherson/Sherman in mix at corner, Leach/Hebda/Scarsella at safety.

Summary: We ended up having a solid defense towards end of last season. Most of those guys are back minus Turner, Booker,Reed, Goebel. Looking for more of the same here. Went JUCO/Transfer route at Corner and Fox mentioned two by name in his presser. My guess is whoever loser is in corner race will be depth guy at safety. DL and LB both played well last year, experienced groups, can expect redshirts.

For offense our OL was a problem last year. Due to attrition not entirely their fault. Fox kept all the recruited OL from last year and added a lot this year. Think this unit will be much improved in 2020/2021. WR the top end talent is there but no depth, think guys like Stablein, Contreras, Ragle, Milks will be great adds there. RB has a lot of HS talent but not a lot to show for it in the collegiate level yet. QB was a major issue in 2018 but I honestly think Duncan did well with cards he was dealt last season. That being said Salyers, Nimz and Beck (WIU transfer) could push but if he's at the school, expect Chris to be at QB.

usc4valpo

We have a great opportunity to get the right recruits for the air raid offense, and this can be a great selling point for the football program.

BTW - is Duncan really going to be back and pay for a 6th year of education? Sooner or later you need to pay the student loans!

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 02, 2020, 07:02:59 AM
We have a great opportunity to get the right recruits for the air raid offense, and this can be a great selling point for the football program.

BTW - is Duncan really going to be back and pay for a 6th year of education? Sooner or later you need to pay the student loans!

Those who paid for 7 years of post high school education and never played any sports are scratching their heads and saying "what's wrong with that?"

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on October 02, 2020, 01:29:44 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 02, 2020, 07:02:59 AM

Those who paid for 7 years of post high school education and never played any sports are scratching their heads and saying "what's wrong with that?"

https://youtu.be/bjIH1jdx2_A
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015