• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bracketbuster

Started by HC, November 15, 2012, 10:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I believe it has to do with RPI, but also takes into account a team's reputation.  I believe prior BBs gave TV games to the better sounding match-ups when RPI was close for a few games
"Don't mess with Texas"

vubballfan10

Quote from: vubballfan10 on November 15, 2012, 01:59:11 PMPlaying Creighton would give Rowdy an opportunity to guard a player with NBA level talent, Doug McDermott.  McDermott does play the 4 at Creighton, right?
Quote from: vubballfan10 on November 15, 2012, 01:59:11 PMPlaying Creighton would give Rowdy an opportunity to guard a player with NBA level talent, Doug McDermott.  McDermott does play the 4 at Creighton, right?

I believe McDermott does play the 4 at Creighton in a three guard lineup with Gibbs, Chatman, and Manigat, with Echenique in the middle.  I would also love to see the Broekhoff/McDermott matchup, which is two guys who play the 4 in college but will definitely be at the 3 professionally.

valpocleveland

I do not see us getting Creighton. We are currently 11th in RPI for the home BB teams. I just hope we don't get a sub 500 team like Savannah State but I think they would probably match them up to a Long Beach St or Oral Roberts who are both below 500. Gazing into my crystal ball I see Creighton going to Belmont and Evansville coming to Valpo for an all Indiana match up. Going by a straight RPI we would currently be matched up against Loyola but this time the Maryland version (some flaws in this logic as I ignored conferences). I have all the rankings in excel if anyone is interested but only posted the top 20 in a word format.

valpotx

I would like to beat Evansville at home.  After the job their refs did on us down there the last time...
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

After a Detroit game like that on the Family of Networks... ya gotta believe we get a nice TV game... Illinois State / Canisius.  We did have Niagara a few years ago; a chance for the AD to go home when we do the return trip...

I'm assuming the return trips are still required even though they've canceled the bbuster for next year?  We are still owed one by Loyola Marymount!

valpotx

Yes, that provision would still apply.  I doubt they put us against Illinois State if we are leading the HL.  I think they are 0-6 in conference
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpocleveland

Guarantee it will not be Illinois State. Win last night bumped us up to 91 in the RPI and moved us up the list of home BB teams. Illinois State has lost 6 in a row and is in the basement of the MV while we are near the top of the Horizon. Would love to have Creighton come to the ARC but I think the odds of this are low. Earlier in the week I thought Evansville but they lost to Drake and have to go to Indiana State on Saturday. We just need to win our next two games and I think the BB committee will reward a 15-5 (RPI record) Valpo with a nice oppoent on one of the ESPN Networks.

valpo84

Plus we generally provide them (ESPN) with entertaining games and they love braodcasting from the ARC -- Miami (OH) and Detroit as examples.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

Quote from: valpo84 on January 18, 2013, 10:40:16 AM
Plus we generally provide them (ESPN) with entertaining games and they love braodcasting from the ARC -- Miami (OH) and Detroit as examples.
[/b]

Don't forget about the beating we put on Missouri State with Dicky V in the house!

Just remembered the triple overtime win against Bowling Green at the ARC, which was also a BRacket Buster game as I recall.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

They added our game at CSU onto ESPN2, which was a wildcard possibility earlier.  If we win against WSU and GB at home, we will be 16-5 (6-1) and would receive one of the better away opponents due to record, mid-major reputation, and generally entertaining games on TV
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on January 18, 2013, 11:01:46 AM
They added our game at CSU onto ESPN2, which was a wildcard possibility earlier.  If we win against WSU and GB at home, we will be 16-5 (6-1) and would receive one of the better away opponents due to record, mid-major reputation, and generally entertaining games on TV

And Valpo would be one victory away from a 7-1 January. That didn't seem as possible after the loss to Loyola at home.

sliman

Triple overtime game was against Miami wasn't it?

bbtds

Quote from: sliman on January 18, 2013, 11:19:53 AM
Triple overtime game was against Miami wasn't it?

The triple OT game I remember was in 1995 when Valpo beat Western Illinois for the Mid-Con title. It was broadcast on ESPN 2 but the Mid-Con didn't have an NCAA tournament auto bid at the time.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/men-s-hoops-championship-initiated-years-of-success-at-valparaiso/article_59ef1a1c-e557-573e-bf26-a8626ae4f4a0.html

valpotx

It was a double OT game against Miami (OH) in the Bracketbuster in 2007-2008
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpotx on January 18, 2013, 11:52:17 AM
It was a double OT game against Miami (OH) in the Bracketbuster in 2007-2008

i was hoarse for three days after that game. but it was so worth it. quite possibly the best game i went to in 4 1/2 years as a student.

vu72

Of the visiting teams, other than Creighton, the next best in the Sagarin's are North Dakota State at 46, Steven Austin at 53 thne Iona at 97, SD State at 104 and Evansville at 107.  We are ranked 76, so a matchup could be with possibly Iona, SD State or Evansville.  We'd get a better bump with playing SF Austin or ND State.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

To decide who gets TV games, ESPN takes the top 13 "home team" RPI's and matches them up with the top 13 "away team" RPI's. Period.  Image, reputation, past TV performances and other subjective measurements have nothing to do with it.  Last year Butler didn't get a TV game because their RPI wasn't among the top 13 home or away teams.  Just coming off of back-to-back appearances in the National Championship game, if reputation had anything to do with it, they would have had a prime time TV game. 

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on January 18, 2013, 02:19:24 PM
Of the visiting teams, other than Creighton, the next best in the Sagarin's are North Dakota State at 46, Steven Austin at 53 thne Iona at 97, SD State at 104 and Evansville at 107.  We are ranked 76, so a matchup could be with possibly Iona, SD State or Evansville.  We'd get a better bump with playing SF Austin or ND State.

North Dakota State would have to make a 700 mile trip from Fargo to Valpo but of course that would be a shorter trip than their conference games at Oakland (925 miles), Fort Wayne (800 miles), IUPUI (825 miles) and Western Illinois (675 miles). The Bison have a 425 mile trip to Nebraska-Omaha and of course much shorter trips to South Dakota State in Brookings, SD (190 miles) and a bit longer but still in the Dakotas trip to South Dakota in Vermillion, SD (300 miles).

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on January 18, 2013, 02:41:48 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 18, 2013, 02:19:24 PM

North Dakota State would have to make a 700 mile trip from Fargo to Valpo but of course that would be a shorter trip than their conference games at Oakland (925 miles), Fort Wayne (800 miles), IUPUI (825 miles) and Western Illinois (675 miles). The Bison have a 425 mile trip to Nebraska-Omaha and of course much shorter trips to South Dakota State in Brookings, SD (190 miles) and a bit longer but still in the Dakotas trip to South Dakota in Vermillion, SD (300 miles).

Somehow I don't think the committee cares about travel distance after seeing where they sent us last year!

vuweathernerd

i know we're supposed to host this year, but i'd love to see us end up at und or north dakota state. #dreamer

valpotx

Quote from: wh on January 18, 2013, 02:31:29 PM

To decide who gets TV games, ESPN takes the top 13 "home team" RPI's and matches them up with the top 13 "away team" RPI's. Period.  Image, reputation, past TV performances and other subjective measurements have nothing to do with it.  Last year Butler didn't get a TV game because their RPI wasn't among the top 13 home or away teams.  Just coming off of back-to-back appearances in the National Championship game, if reputation had anything to do with it, they would have had a prime time TV game. 

This can't be true.  Do you really think that they would match us up against a currently 0-6 (MVC) Illinois State team after we beat WSU tomorrow?  They WILL NOT put the HL leader against a bottom feeder team from another league, just because their RPI matches up.
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

and a quick update on the top teams using the Nolan-RPI and the -sagarin- figures

20 -24-  wichita state      18 -9-      creighton - we are 0-2 lifetime
24 -29-  belmont              57 -46-     n dakota state  -we are 2-0 lifetime
47 -80-  indiana state      60 -53-     sf austin - we have never played the Lumberjacks, but their football stadium:  Homer Bryce Stadium
67 -54-  st marys              64 -104-   s dakota state - we are 1-1 lifetime
79 -56-  akron              82 -111-   eastern ky - we are 1-3 lifetime
85 -102- utah state      96 -107-   evansville - we are 17-65 against them
86 -101- murray state      99 -93-    detroit - we beat them 219-313 !!
87 -87-   northern iowa      106 -97-   iona    we are 0-2 lifetime
91 -76-   valpo              109 -131- loyola (MD)... don't really know, there are 5 "unknown loyola" teams
95 -162-  tennessee state   114 -159-  northwestern state - we are 1-0 lifetime
97 -117-  oral roberts      115 -81-    weber state - we have never played these Wildcats
100 -137- uic              125 -132-   canisius - we are 1-1 lifetime

Could be Iona... the Gaels, might be nice to have a return trip... back to New Rochelle New York (ok who remembers:  That Girl!); might be interesting to play another Loyola...with the Marymount Lions coming to the ARC next year... and we do play well against canine mascots!

wh

Quote from: valpotx on January 18, 2013, 05:54:04 PM
Quote from: wh on January 18, 2013, 02:31:29 PM

This can't be true.  Do you really think that they would match us up against a currently 0-6 (MVC) Illinois State team after we beat WSU tomorrow?  They WILL NOT put the HL leader against a bottom feeder team from another league, just because their RPI matches up.

How did Illinois State became a part of this conversation?  They have an RPI of 157 and aren't even close to being a TV game candidate or being matched up with us. 

By the way, they absolutely do match up TV game opponents by RPI.  The only tweaking they do with TV match-ups is moving teams around so 2 teams in the same conference don't play each other and that kind of thing.  Why do you think we got stuck going to California to play Loyola Marymount?  Simply, if they had the 8th highest RPI among host teams (or whatever), we had the 8th highest RPI among visiting teams. 

Maybe you are thinking about the other appx. 100 teams that don't get TV games.  Unlike the TV game opponents (which are chosen by ESPN based on RPI), a committee formed by the NCAA matches up those opponents.  They finagle those match-ups at will to limit travel, take advantage of natural rivalries, increase attendance, etc.

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on January 18, 2013, 07:01:26 PMback to New Rochelle New York (ok who remembers:  That Girl!);

Actually it was Rob Petrie, his wife Laura, and son, Richie, from the Dick Van Dyke Show that lived in New Rochelle, NY.

I believe That Girl, Marlo Thomas lived in Manhattan.

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dick_Van_Dyke_Show

Other scenes focus on the home life of Rob, his wife Laura (Mary Tyler Moore), and son Richie[/i] (Larry Mathews), who live at 148 Bonnie Meadow Lane in suburban New Rochelle, New York[/i]
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

OK... I had forgotten about Rob and Laura... but That Girl's parents were from New Rochelle; and as I recall, had many episodes with her and Donald going up there.... anyway... now you're gonna make me watch MeToo reruns to verify that.   

OH, to answer the Illinois State comment... a month ago, they had a comparable RPI... now they don't...   Loyola MD would not be bad match up; we get a good game... and we do have a good alumni group in the Baltimore-Washington area for the return trip next year.