• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/16/13 Valpo home to UDM

Started by talksalot, February 12, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

This came from the Detroit blog.  They want Nick 1st team HL.  He did have a career night against us.  Went for over 30 points....My problem is they have no respect for Kevin. 

He is better than any big man in the HL. But will the HL push Alec Brown (no slouch) because the NBA scouts are watching him and it wouldn't help his chances for the NBA without that on his record? Avercamp has nice numbers, but its with Loyola and Nick is better. Eargle has not impressed me. Van Wijk -- nope. I'll take Nick again.

I think Ray and Broekoff are the 2 best players in the conference and it may come down to which teams wins the conference tournament to name a POY, but I put Nick as a solid 3rd best player in the conference. Anything less than 1st team HL will be a major shaft.

Your thoughts.
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: KL31NY on February 13, 2013, 10:39:37 AM
I just noticed the screen of the voting page said it was an alley-oop from Ray McCallum to Doug Anderson. The video clearly shows it's Calliste ooping it to Doug with Junior standing behind Doug. Yet, even the box score play-by-play gives the assist to Junior. I made such a comment in the "Could This Happen Again" Detroit thread in the "Horizon" section, but how bad can the stats guys at Detroit be?

In addition to trying to "get Doug 1000 pts" they are also trying to get little Ray 200 assists for the season.  The official scorer is just trying to do his (her) part.  You have to remember that cheating at Detroit Mercy is no big deal.  Just ask their former A.D. and asst coach. 

oklahomamick

Quote from: bbtds on February 13, 2013, 11:16:09 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on February 13, 2013, 08:32:01 AMCSU still has a bracketbuster trip and Temple plus the rest of conference season. We need to only worry about us.
When is Cleveland State playing Temple? Remember, "scrutiny" is our middle name. ;)

Detroit plays Temple, game after BB
CRUSADERS!!!

KL31NY

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 13, 2013, 11:24:08 AM
This came from the Detroit blog.  They want Nick 1st team HL.  He did have a career night against us.  Went for over 30 points....My problem is they have no respect for Kevin. 
This would be a good time to plug my PER ratings :) http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1201 http://tinyurl.com/021013PER

Using my numbers as a guide and thinking things through, I'd have Rowdy, Junior, Perry, and Van Wijk for sure. Averkamp or Minnerath would be my 5th. Depends on whether you prefer the player with the better numbers or impact with a better team.

Quote from: wh on February 13, 2013, 11:34:49 AM
In addition to trying to "get Doug 1000 pts" they are also trying to get little Ray 200 assists for the season.  The official scorer is just trying to do his (her) part.  You have to remember that cheating at Detroit Mercy is no big deal.  Just ask their former A.D. and asst coach. 
Ooooooh, that's a nice shot. Point well taken.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valporun

wh, I thought the original 1,000 point mention was for Caliste, not Anderson? It would take a few hundred more truckloads of dunks for "ANDERSON" to be near 1,000 points, wouldn't it?

wh

Quote from: valporun on February 13, 2013, 12:42:13 PM
wh, I thought the original 1,000 point mention was for Caliste, not Anderson? It would take a few hundred more truckloads of dunks for "ANDERSON" to be near 1,000 points, wouldn't it?

I meant Jason.  I've got "Doug" on the brain right now after watching that dunk.  :)

Kyle321n

Quote from: KL31NY on February 13, 2013, 11:53:35 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 13, 2013, 11:24:08 AMThis came from the Detroit blog.  They want Nick 1st team HL.  He did have a career night against us.  Went for over 30 points....My problem is they have no respect for Kevin.
This would be a good time to plug my PER ratings :) http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1201 http://tinyurl.com/021013PER Using my numbers as a guide and thinking things through, I'd have Rowdy, Junior, Perry, and Van Wijk for sure. Averkamp or Minnerath would be my 5th. Depends on whether you prefer the player with the better numbers or impact with a better team.

I've got to ask, how much does Kevin's FG% inflate his PER?  The 4.7 boards per game seems awfully low for a guy playing his position and at his size, especially when a bench guy playing 6 minutes less per game is grabbing more.  I feel like that will hurt KVW's 1st team chances.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 13, 2013, 12:54:12 PMI've got to ask, how much does Kevin's FG% inflate his PER?  The 4.7 boards per game seems awfully low for a guy playing his position and at his size, especially when a bench guy playing 6 minutes less per game is grabbing more.  I feel like that will hurt KVW's 1st team chances.

It's sort of like he and Rowdy have a contract.  Normally Rowdy scoops up the routine defensive boards (with authority!).  Last night this was somewhat violated...

Bobby seems to take more of the "routine" defensive rebounds than KVW, for some reason.

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 13, 2013, 11:24:08 AMI think Ray and Broekoff are the 2 best players in the conference and it may come down to which teams wins the conference tournament to name a POY, but I put Nick as a solid 3rd best player in the conference. Anything less than 1st team HL will be a major shaft.

I think you're still quoting the Detroit fan here.

Don't they decide the all-conference awards _before_ the tournament? 

Last year's announcement is here
http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-announces-mens-basketball-award-winners.html
the day before the first round games.

So, yeah, it may well come down to who wins the regular season.  And, it seems like Rowdy's numbers and his team performance are likely to be more impressive.  Sweeping the competition, instead of splitting with them (especially if the better half of the split had to overcome a huge deficit), would sure help the cause.

crusadermoe

Bobby has become a nice role player.   I think we definitely would have beat Nebraska if he had been healthy and playing the minutes he gets now.   
However, he does have a puzzling lack of ability to finish down low.   Can that be taught or is he just a step slow?   It just seems like he backs away instinctively even though he is 250+ pounds.   Maybe this horse was beaten already.   I was away from this board a lot in December.

KL31NY

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 13, 2013, 12:54:12 PM
I've got to ask, how much does Kevin's FG% inflate his PER?  The 4.7 boards per game seems awfully low for a guy playing his position and at his size, especially when a bench guy playing 6 minutes less per game is grabbing more.  I feel like that will hurt KVW's 1st team chances.

It's definitely a factor, arguably the biggest one. Made shots are worth about 3 times more than missed shots in my shorthand formula. So KVW's awesome FG%, plus his good FT shooting, bump up his PER a couple notches above the other forwards in the league. If he were shooting say 50% FG, he'd be about even with Anderson, below Averkamp and Eargle

Also, playing just 22 minutes/game increases his PER. Since PER is basically an average, and minutes is a key part to setting that average, there's a smaller number to divide by...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

vu72

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 13, 2013, 12:54:12 PM
Quote from: KL31NY on February 13, 2013, 11:53:35 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 13, 2013, 11:24:08 AMThis came from the Detroit blog.  They want Nick 1st team HL.  He did have a career night against us.  Went for over 30 points....My problem is they have no respect for Kevin.
This would be a good time to plug my PER ratings :) http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1201 http://tinyurl.com/021013PER Using my numbers as a guide and thinking things through, I'd have Rowdy, Junior, Perry, and Van Wijk for sure. Averkamp or Minnerath would be my 5th. Depends on whether you prefer the player with the better numbers or impact with a better team.

I think Ryan, Jr, Perry and Avercamp are locks for the first team.  Avercamp is 4th in scoring, 3rd in rebounds and 5th in blocks.  Minnerath is having a very good year, but so are a few others including KVW. These awards are given after the regular season and before the tourney, so if we win KVW will probably get the nod.  Alec Brown is the one who is having an off year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: wh on February 13, 2013, 01:36:49 PM

He is better than any big man in the HL. But will the HL push Alec Brown (no slouch) because the NBA scouts are watching him and it wouldn't help his chances for the NBA without that on his record? Avercamp has nice numbers, but its with Loyola and Nick is better. Eargle has not impressed me. Van Wijk -- nope. I'll take Nick again.

I think Ray and Broekoff are the 2 best players in the conference and it may come down to which teams wins the conference tournament to name a POY, but I put Nick as a solid 3rd best player in the conference. Anything less than 1st team HL will be a major shaft.

Your thoughts.

I used Stat Sheet's comparison feature to show stats side-by-side for KVW, Minnerath and Brown:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=alec-brown&p1=kevin-van-wijk&p2=nick-minnerath

KVW and Minnerath are difficult to compare because they are 2 completely different kinds of players.  Kevin is strictly a low post, back to the basket center with great post moves and an uncanny ability to finish.  Minnerath is not really a center at all; he's a 4 and a very good one.  While Minnerath was very hot in game-1 and had a career game, Kevin ate him up on the other end and had a career game himself.  KVW and Brown play similar positions.  Brown is a better outside shooter, but KVW is far superior in finishing around the basket.  Based on the numbers, I think KVW holds a definite edge over Brown.  Comparing KVW and Minnerath is apples to oranges - who knows?

vuweathernerd

Your thoughts.

the conference tournament will not have a role in determining who wins player of the year. it'll be voted on before they get to that point. i think that this game on saturday will go a long way in determining who gets it. if jr can avenge the chokejob from game 1, he'll get some points back. but if rowdy has his usual game and ray jr looks similar to game 1, that may well just about seal it up for ryan. if it was up to me, the race would already be just about over - nothing short of jr dropping 30+ and averaging a triple-double for the rest of the year would get him caught up.

StlVUFan

Your thoughts.
What Detroit blog did it come from?

EddieCabot

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 13, 2013, 02:55:49 PM

Your thoughts.
What Detroit blog did it come from?

By "blog", I think he meant "message board".  http://detroittitanhoops.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=511  It's all on the interwebs, so why does nomenclature matter?  ;D

jloose128

In addition to disrespecting Kevin, we have this wonderful statement:

YES!!! What else does he have to do? Would you trade Nick for Averkamp or Broekoff? I would not. Dismiss me as a hopeless homer, but this time I'm right.

Minerath > Broekhoff? I don't think so.

wh

Quote from: jloose128 on February 13, 2013, 04:28:41 PM
In addition to disrespecting Kevin, we have this wonderful statement:

YES!!! What else does he have to do? Would you trade Nick for Averkamp or Broekoff? I would not. Dismiss me as a hopeless homer, but this time I'm right.

Minerath > Broekhoff? I don't think so.

Ryan is hands down the best player in the HL - not even a close call.  Everyone knows it.  Some just don't want to admit it. 

By the way, let us not forget that Ryan was named the Mid Major player of the year.  He should never be in someone's brain at the same time they're thinking about players like Minerath and Averkamp.

agibson

covufan

Quote from: wh on February 13, 2013, 11:34:49 AMIn addition to trying to "get Doug 1000 pts" they are also trying to get little Ray 200 assists for the season.  The official scorer is just trying to do his (her) part.  You have to remember that cheating at Detroit Mercy is no big deal.  Just ask their former A.D. and asst coach. 

+1

:thumbsup:

KL31NY

Quote from: govalpogo on February 13, 2013, 05:24:12 PM
2010 (One of my favorite games as a student)
Did commentary for that game for WVUR. That game, and specifically the play starting at 1:52, was when I thought at the time that it would be the birth of a nice rivalry. I had no way of knowing then how big this would grow in just a few years. It's epic now! It's even better than VU-BU, looking at it from both sides IMO

StlVUFan

Quote from: govalpogo on February 13, 2013, 05:24:12 PM2011
ValpoHoops, that wasn't by any chance you doing the color commentary on this particular game, was it?

ValpoHoops

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 13, 2013, 06:56:49 PM
Quote from: govalpogo on February 13, 2013, 05:24:12 PM2011
ValpoHoops, that wasn't by any chance you doing the color commentary on this particular game, was it?

No, never did any mens games.