• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/16/13 Valpo home to UDM

Started by talksalot, February 12, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 18, 2013, 09:22:51 PMI'd love to see an extended period with Coleman at point and Dority at the 2.

And then we can add Rowdy at the 5, Bogan at 4, and KVW at the 3.  I know it's 'just basketball', but these are positions these two have grown up playing for years. 

It's a little like saying, "hey tanner, try pitching, it's just baseball and you're so good at it" or "zobeck, get out in the field and lead the attack".  It just might work, but then again we could just trust the coaches that are with these guys like every single day.   

http://umuac.org/threeweeks/Volume2.5/plan.html
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

Greg Wood catching passes. Steve Bartholomew running sprints. Joylyn Ichiyama-Drewry throwing in the circle. Taylor Root spiking the ball.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

FWalum

OMG, the ideas and criticisms of these couch potato coaches are just ridiculously stupid.  I am rolling on the floor here.  I am glad to see from some of the other sarcastic remarks that a few other posters on this board understand the craziness of these critics and their answers/suggestions.

Get back to me after you've coached your first season of college ball.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum link=topic=1240.msg26417#msg26417
We can't criticize a coach unless we coached college basketball? Am I not allowed to criticize a movie unless I've directed one? Can I not think a song sucks unless I have one playing on the radio? So basically any criticism of anything should only be warranted if you have a profession in the same field.

valpotx

Quote from: FWalum on February 18, 2013, 10:57:43 PM
OMG, the ideas and criticisms of these couch potato coaches are just ridiculously stupid.  I am rolling on the floor here.  I am glad to see from some of the other sarcastic remarks that a few other posters on this board understand the craziness of these critics and their answers/suggestions.

So if I was a volunteer assistant coach for 2 years on a College World Series participant team, can I still comment on basketball?  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

I have played "NCAA Basketball 2010" and "NBA   Jam" on my son's X-Box so I think I should be approved to comment....

a3uge

Quote from: Smj on February 19, 2013, 07:45:27 AM
I have played "NCAA Basketball 2010" and "NBA   Jam" on my son's X-Box so I think I should be approved to comment....

NBA Jam on XBox? It only counts if its NBA Jam Tournament edition on SNES or Sega Genesis.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on February 18, 2013, 10:57:43 PMGet back to me after you've coached your first season of college ball.

If FW were truly serious, he'd be pretty much the only person commenting on this board.  But what he means is that when you haven't sat in the seat, you are more prone to come up with cockamamie theories and off-the-wall criticisms.  Everybody thinks they have the answer, but you should take car advice from your mechanic more often than your accountant.

And yes, my graduate degree and years of experience make what my criticism of music more valid than most.  Basketball?  Never higher than assistant coach on the CYO girls' runner-up, so I stick to numbers ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

I think I had basketball on my old Activision console or my Atari - would that count?   

(just wanted to be clear - I am just joking.  I agree that you get a much better perspective once you "do" something.   Also, to be clear - I would be horrible in a coaching role.   I am a better "thinker" - give me 24 hours and I can come up with great insights - - - heat of the moment, not so much.)

truth219

If this were the case espn wouldn't exsist. The local news would be able to cover sports.I know I push the bill a lot but at least they are talking points this is just silly

StlVUFan

Quote from: truth219 on February 19, 2013, 09:32:49 AM

If this were the case espn wouldn't exsist. The local news would be able to cover sports.I know I push the bill a lot but at least they are talking points this is just silly
I fear a subtle component of FW's point is just being completely missed.  He didn't just come on here and decide to castigate *all* couch potato coaches who have ever criticized coaching decisions.  He was *provoked* by some of the criticisms offered *here* *in this thread* in the aftermath of Saturday's game.

Context is important, people.

valpotx

Most of us just wanted to respond sarcastically  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 19, 2013, 08:54:49 AMIf FW were truly serious, he'd be pretty much the only person commenting on this board.  But what he means is that when you haven't sat in the seat, you are more prone to come up with cockamamie theories and off-the-wall criticisms.  Everybody thinks they have the answer, but you should take car advice from your mechanic more often than your accountant.

And yes, my graduate degree and years of experience make what my criticism of music more valid than most.  Basketball?  Never higher than assistant coach on the CYO girls' runner-up, so I stick to numbers

Thanks LaPorteAveApostle, you said it better than I did at the time.  I don't think it is unreasonable that a critic has some modicum of expertise on the subject they are criticizing.  I may have an opinion on how good or bad a movie is but I wouldn't consider myself a movie critic.   

I am sure valpotx heard enough uninformed criticism while coaching at that high a level to at least be able to understand where I am coming from.

Opinion is one thing, criticism is another.  As far as I know none of us that regularly post on this board are privy to the day to day goings on of the men's basketball program.  We aren't in the huddle and we don't know the instructions given to a player as he enters the game as a starter or coming off the bench.  I don't have problems with posters questioning why things are happening or strategic decisions, what I have problems with are the criticisms directed at specific players and criticism of coaching decisions made with out at least some proper analysis and consideration of how your statements affect the team, of which you are supposedly a fan, and also the school they and you represent.  truth219, maybe it is just the tone with which you make your statements, which in my opinion are inflammatory, that bugs me because I think it invites a less reasoned response, kind of like my response in my previous post which some of you seemed to think was so silly. If you want to have a discussion then present your "talking points" in a way the promotes talk and comment.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

Quote from: FWalum on February 19, 2013, 11:56:20 AMwhat I have problems with are the criticisms directed at specific players and criticism of coaching decisions made with out at least some proper analysis and consideration of how your statements affect the team
QuoteIf you want to have a discussion then present your "talking points" in a way the promotes talk and comment.
:clap:

Though I'm not sure comments here should ever affect the team (I know we've had that discussion before, so I won't rehash it).

I would like to see this thread be more stimulating than afternoon sports talk on WSCR, that's for sure (where people call in with opinions high on flame and low on substance).

valpotx

Part of the fun in a fans forum is the ability to play that armchair coach occasionally, though as you mention, hopefully not in an aggressive manner.  I definitely heard a lot about our coaches at TCU, but since we won a lot more often than not those 2 years, it was fairly limited criticism.  I just really want to know more about the Jordan Coleman situation in my case, as he hasn't been overly bad in games to warrant not playing at all these past 2 games (again, my opinion).  If we are experiencing a huge scoring drought, it can help to put in someone new at times, even if they are supposedly 'cold' from not playing all game.  Usually when someone hasn't played, they at least bring some extra energy when they come into the game, which could rub off on the rest of the team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: truth219 on February 18, 2013, 01:00:53 PMHe has scorers mantality but not enough skill to make enough shots to be effective his numbers show that. Erik is this teams captain and leader when he went out so did our chance of winning neither rowdy or kvw are leaders or coach on the floor no one is besides buggs.

Quote from: truth219 on February 18, 2013, 01:48:17 PMWe don't get a whole lot more then the associated press gives from our beat writers

Quote from: truth219 on February 18, 2013, 08:57:25 PMThis better be the last melt down because this season can't take many more

I agree with what FW Alum says. These statements are emphatic "my way or the highway" statements. If you don't leave any room for discussion all your doing is making statements to the rest of the posters. What good is that on a discussion board. You may not agree with another posters comments but just state why and stop making these emphatic statements.

These are all opinions but the way you state them there is no room for debating them.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on February 19, 2013, 12:35:53 PM
Part of the fun in a fans forum is the ability to play that armchair coach occasionally,.... I just really want to know more about the Jordan Coleman situation in my case, as he hasn't been overly bad in games to warrant not playing at all these past 2 games (again, my opinion).  If we are experiencing a huge scoring drought, it can help to put in someone new at times, even if they are supposedly 'cold' from not playing all game.  Usually when someone hasn't played, they at least bring some extra energy when they come into the game, which could rub off on the rest of the team.
I agree that mixing things up can sometimes produce results.  I also think that we have 3 pretty decent coaches on the sidelines in Drew, Powell and Gore, and that Bryce is not an autocrat when it comes to game time coaching.  I would have to believe that if Powell or Gore had said "hey, why don't we try Coleman..." he would have been in the game.  I surmise they had some reason for not making that call, most likely the match up didn't make sense.  I certainly am not putting him in the game at point against the guy who is #2 in the league in steals. IMO he certainly has something to offer in the right situation and I think we will see his role expand in the future.

chef

Please don't overlook Jake Diebler on the sidelines. He's well beyond his years on basketball knowledge and has made the call on many set plays that have led to easy baskets over the last two seasons.

LaPorteAveApostle

The other funny thing is earlier in the season we were talking about KVW & Capo and wishing they would get played together for a bigger lineup that would allow Rowdy to move to 3. 

Then when it happens we complain about it.

Well while we're celebrating Festivus late, I'd like to air my grievance about Shannon Flavin from 20 years ago.

FWalum

Quote from: chef on February 19, 2013, 02:13:20 PM
Please don't overlook Jake Diebler on the sidelines. He's well beyond his years on basketball knowledge and has made the call on many set plays that have led to easy baskets over the last two seasons.
Thanks for that insight chef.  Wasn't trying to short change anyone.  As I suspected, it sounds as if Bryce is willing to listen and trust his staff. 

chef

Bryce has great faith in his staff and leans on them accordingly.

agibson

Quote from: Smj on February 19, 2013, 08:55:59 AM
I think I had basketball on my old Activision console or my Atari - would that count?   

For me it was Double Dribble on the NES!  I never owned a copy, but loved to play at my friend's house.

valpotx

Quote from: agibson on February 19, 2013, 06:05:18 PM
Quote from: Smj on February 19, 2013, 08:55:59 AM

For me it was Double Dribble on the NES!  I never owned a copy, but loved to play at my friend's house.

If that will allow us to coach, my strategy would be to shoot from the top corner 3 every time  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: valpotx on February 19, 2013, 02:20:56 AM

So if I was a volunteer assistant coach for 2 years on a College World Series participant team, can I still comment on basketball?  ;)

I think your World Series' title gives you plenty of street cred, Tom. ;)