• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/16/13 Valpo home to UDM

Started by talksalot, February 12, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

This is where we realize that we've already reached the point where we're having the same conversations again.

Dority brings something no one else on the active roster possesses:  the belief that he can make something happen.  He has the talent, as do others on the team, but none of them have that mentality, the scorer's mentality, and it showed in the second half.

People haven't been willing to get on KVW and Rowdy for basically disappearing (KVW after his putback early in the 2nd half; 8 reb 1st half, 1 2nd; Rowdy basically after the first couple minutes).

Put Dority's head on Rowdy's shoulders, and that man-strosity would not have allowed us to lose that game.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

truth219

He has scorers mantality but not enough skill to make enough shots to be effective his numbers show that. Erik is this teams captain and leader when he went out so did our chance of winning neither rowdy or kvw are leaders or coach on the floor no one is besides buggs.

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, then, maybe you could spend some of your time calling out seniors for not leading, instead of piling on the new guy playing hurt.

Anyone who watched the game could see that while Dority did not play like he can, he certainly could not be the scapegoat for the collapse. 

It'd be like watching The Usual Suspects and blaming Benicio del Toro for letting it all fall apart.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

truth219

Why play him when he is hurt. Coleman had zero mins

bbtds

Quote from: truth219 on February 18, 2013, 01:26:19 PM
Why play him when he is hurt. Coleman had zero mins

I believe there is another story about why Coleman is not playing that has not come out yet. It must be the reason he did not play against Detroit.

valpotx

Seriously, does no one in the local media have any idea what is going on with Coleman?
"Don't mess with Texas"

truth219

We don't get a whole lot more then the associated press gives from our beat writers

a3uge

Quote from: truth219 on February 18, 2013, 01:48:17 PM
We don't get a whole lot more then the associated press gives from our beat writers

We have more than one beat writer?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on February 18, 2013, 02:04:46 PMWe have more than one beat writer?

NWI:  Oren
P-T:  Osipoff

Paul Jankowski often does pieces for the Times as well.

Let's set the O/U at 2.5.

wh

I have something that has temporarily taken my focus away from our beloved Crusaders.  I hope to get back into all-things-VU-bb within a few days.  I just want to briefly say that I want to give Detroit their due - they played an awesome 2nd half of bb and clearly deserved the win.  Second, the student section was amazing - probably the best in years.  Lastly, I still believe this team will win the H.L tournament on the same floor they lost on Sat.  Go Crusaders!

Kyle321n

The lack of play from Coleman is shocking to say the least.  He was in to take some PG duties when Dority got hurt and Buggs needed rest against YSU and didn't look terrible. God help us if Bogan if running the point. Granted against YSU we didn't look good either so...

I got to the game early so I could watch some of the warmups and see how Coleman looked.  He was moving around fine, shot looked pure as usual and didn't seem to hobble or limp when in the layup line and when running in and out of the ARC. Sure wish there was an explanation for his absence.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 18, 2013, 04:13:38 PMSure wish there was an explanation for his absence.

There was a little buried in the Post Tribune sidebar before the Detroit game.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/18262176-556/valparaiso-can-clinch-share-of-title-with-win-against-rival-detroit.html

The Big Number

Jordan Coleman played in every game but one this season. The junior guard didn't see the court on Tuesday at Wright State.

"It was an in-game decision," Crusaders coach Bryce Drew said. "The other players were playing well. We decided to go bigger, playing Bobby (Capobianco) a little more, playing him and Kevin (Van Wijk) together."

agibson

I notice they listed attendance at 5,166.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2012-13/3251/detroit-vs-valpo-02-16-2013/

Not a record, apparently, but I'm not sure what the record is.  (Feb 5, 2008 against Butler was listed at 5,432.)

They did sell (or at least distribute) tickets in Section AA up at least as high as JJ - which was at least a smidge awkward for the people sitting in those seats.

valpotx

I haven't ever seen more than 5,432.  We had that many in attendance at several games while I was in school, and the place was completely packed.  I imagine that is our official 'sell out of all space possible' attendance figure (including track), rather than just seat sell out.
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Quote from: agibson on February 18, 2013, 05:09:30 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on February 18, 2013, 04:13:38 PMSure wish there was an explanation for his absence.

There was a little buried in the Post Tribune sidebar before the Detroit game.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/18262176-556/valparaiso-can-clinch-share-of-title-with-win-against-rival-detroit.html

The Big Number

Jordan Coleman played in every game but one this season. The junior guard didn't see the court on Tuesday at Wright State.

"It was an in-game decision," Crusaders coach Bryce Drew said. "The other players were playing well. We decided to go bigger, playing Bobby (Capobianco) a little more, playing him and Kevin (Van Wijk) together."
Fresh off the "tweety bird"

5:22pm @NWIOren For Valparaiso, Jordan Coleman is not hurt and it's been Bryce's decision not to play him. Drew said he liked rhythm of guys on the floor
‏5:23pm @NWIOren I didn't point this out on Saturday, but Jordan Coleman and Vashil Fernandez immediately began working out on the floor after the game.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

That is just ridiculous.  You like the rhythm of the guys on the floor, when you are in the middle of an opponent's 15-0 run to tie the game, that became 19-0?  Nowhere in there do you figure, 'maybe I should try Jordan in the game, to see if we can regain what we are obviously losing?'  That is weak, just weak.  There has to be something else to it, as Jordan could have at least been useful for a few minutes in that sequence where it was TO, TO, TO, etc.  The dude is athletic, can get offensive rebounds, and block the occasional shot with his hops...

The positive is obviously that Jordan and Vashil care enough that they are going above and beyond to try and get better.
"Don't mess with Texas"

truth219

Dority was our best option.......

LaPorteAveApostle

I did see that in the Post, now that you mention it.

Quote from: truth219 on February 18, 2013, 06:07:19 PMDority was our best option.......

Agreed.  Bringing Coleman in cold 87% thru the game would have been unfair.

Plus as you can see a lot of people would have been down on him for missing any of his shots.

truth219

After buggs fouled out, this is what I would have done. I would have put the remaining 5 seniors out there bogan boggs kenney rowdy and kvw. Sure no true point gaurd but at least you could put it on their shoulders. Let them be responsible for the teams fate on Saturday night.

truth219

After watching notre dame...bryce should have got a technical foul in the seconf half for some reason to fire up the team

Kyle321n

Quote from: truth219 on February 18, 2013, 07:34:53 PM
After buggs fouled out, this is what I would have done. I would have put the remaining 5 seniors out there bogan boggs kenney rowdy and kvw. Sure no true point gaurd but at least you could put it on their shoulders. Let them be responsible for the teams fate on Saturday night.
Well Rowdy would have been good as a point forward

Pgmado

Ouch.

I've asked about Coleman each of the last two games. Both times it's been the same answer. "The guys we had in there were playing well, it was an in-game decision." "Jordan hasn't done anything wrong." "We like the rhythm of this group out there."

Look, would he have helped during that run against Detroit? Maybe in hindsight. Valpo was blowing out UIC or Milwaukee a few weeks back and they moved Coleman to the point in the second half. It didn't go very well from what I remember. Jordan isn't the answer at the point and you're not going to take out Bogan or Kenney when they were shooting like they were at that point. I still think Coleman will help this team this season.

truth219

This better be the last melt down because this season can't take many more

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: truth219 on February 18, 2013, 08:57:25 PMThis better be the last melt down because this season can't take many more

Somewhere Tracey Gipson is shaking his head at this pampered generation.

Kyle321n

Quote from: Pgmado on February 18, 2013, 08:53:44 PM

Ouch.

I wouldn't take too much stock in what Truth is saying.  You've done a fantastic job. I think we're more frustrated over the rotation decisions than the reporting of said decisions.

Quote from: Pgmado on February 18, 2013, 08:53:44 PM
I've asked about Coleman each of the last two games. Both times it's been the same answer. "The guys we had in there were playing well, it was an in-game decision." "Jordan hasn't done anything wrong." "We like the rhythm of this group out there."

Look, would he have helped during that run against Detroit? Maybe in hindsight. Valpo was blowing out UIC or Milwaukee a few weeks back and they moved Coleman to the point in the second half. It didn't go very well from what I remember. Jordan isn't the answer at the point and you're not going to take out Bogan or Kenney when they were shooting like they were at that point. I still think Coleman will help this team this season.
I agree with the way Bogan and Kenney were playing, you don't take them out for Coleman.  I'd love to see an extended period with Coleman at point and Dority at the 2.