• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters article

Started by wh, December 13, 2013, 06:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Something from the article...

Peters has grown stronger from the adversity he's faced. Actually, he's also grown literally. Drew and Peters both said the 6-foot-8 forward has grown almost an inch since the summer. The physical growth isn't why he was the first freshman to get the chance to start. It was his mental growth and work ethic.

...made me think about another guy with a late growth spurt:

The twins' plans changed when the younger Gordon (Hayward) underwent an unexpected growth spurt. He shot up to 6'4 as a sophomore and two years after he almost abandoned basketball, he had grown to 6'7" (2.01 m); he reached 6'8" (2.03 m) as a senior,[3][4] and reportedly added another inch at Butler (though the NBA lists him at 6'8"). Wikipedia

Peters
Season   GP   MPG   PPG   FG%   3FG%   FT%   APG   RPG   BPG   SPG
2013-14   11   30.4   13.9   49.1   45.1   74.3   2.1   4.9   0.1   1.0

Hayward (Freshman year)
2008-09   32   32.7   13.1   47.9   44.8   81.5   2.0   6.5   0.9   1.5

As I recall Hayward was better off the dribble, even as a Freshman, but still...

classof2014

Not bad when you're being compared to a good NBA player. I would imagine Alec will be the holder of many Valpo basketball records when he graduates.

vu84v2

Didn't Larry Bird have a growth spurt from when he started school at Indiana and then transferred to Indiana State?  (just thought I would give you an even more impressive comparison)

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on December 13, 2013, 07:21:51 AM
Something from the article...

Peters has grown stronger from the adversity he's faced. Actually, he's also grown literally. Drew and Peters both said the 6-foot-8 forward has grown almost an inch since the summer. The physical growth isn't why he was the first freshman to get the chance to start. It was his mental growth and work ethic.

...made me think about another guy with a late growth spurt:

The twins' plans changed when the younger Gordon (Hayward) underwent an unexpected growth spurt. He shot up to 6'4 as a sophomore and two years after he almost abandoned basketball, he had grown to 6'7" (2.01 m); he reached 6'8" (2.03 m) as a senior,[3][4] and reportedly added another inch at Butler (though the NBA lists him at 6'8"). Wikipedia

Peters
2013-14   11   30.4   13.9   49.1   45.1   74.3   2.1   4.9   0.1   1.0

Hayward (Freshman year)
2008-09   32   32.7   13.1   47.9   44.8   81.5   2.0   6.5   0.9   1.5

As I recall Hayward was better off the dribble, even as a Freshman, but still...

I also believe that vu72 claimed that Chris Halvorsen "compared favorably" to Hayward.   ;)

FWIW, I really like Alec as a player and was hopeful he would head to Butler because I thought he fit their system.  I don't know all the recruiting details, but Butler got some good kids and Peters found a nice fit at Valpo, so it's all good.

Alec has lots of time to grow and develop his game, but the comparison to Hayward are a bit premature, IMO.  The stats are definitely close, which is good.  However, from the day Hayward set foot on campus, he was "different" from the other players.  As wh astutely pointed out, his ball handling was very good, but he was also on a different plane athletically.  I can't really explain the "it" that I saw, but if you watch these videos of Hayward playing against the best athletes in the world, you may see he isn't your average Horizon League player. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUoWE0JTOY4#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHDA_mZTpgs#ws

I wish the best for Alec and think he'll have a great college career and make money after if he wants too.  But right now, I don't see the explosive athleticism that would translate to the NBA.  With that said, he's got 3+ years to work with Valpo's strength and conditioning folks, so who knows?

wh

I didn't mean to infer that Alec is on the Gordon "track."  I'm just pointing out some early statistical similarities and physical characteristics, and thinking - wouldn't it be cool if.  One of the few "knocks" on Alec by some talent evaluators was his overall athleticism, which to my knowledge no one ever questioned about Hayward. But, that can improve over time.  He'll be an interesting guy to watch.  As far as Valpo vs. Butler vs. St. Louis vs. Tennessee, etc., I think Alec made a great choice.  With Valpo losing it's entire starting 5 from a year ago, he is an immediate starter and even has sets already designed to get him open. Valpo's coaching staff is a great teaching group, as well.  That doesn't mean he wouldn't have the same success somewhere else, only that he might have to wait longer.   

valpotx

Interesting to see these highlights.  Not trying to knock him, but the 2-3 Mavs games I have gone to in the last few years against the Jazz, he did not play well at all.  I don't follow him in the NBA, but knew he was a quality player, and quite honestly, loved watching a Butler player struggle each time that happened ;).
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Gotta admit I love the videos.  The play where he blocked 2 shots in the same sequence by different players driving the hoop is very cool.  Also, the left handed dribble drives and finish with left handed dunks is impressive to say the least. 

FWalum

Actually, I have been somewhat surprised by Alec's athleticism. I am not going to put him and Hayward on the same level but would have been more impressed with zvillehaze's choice of video if they had been of Hayward's frosh year at Butler.  I remember Hayward as a little tiny bit gangly his freshman year.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on December 14, 2013, 12:19:47 AM
I didn't mean to infer that Alec is on the Gordon "track."  I'm just pointing out some early statistical similarities and physical characteristics, and thinking - wouldn't it be cool if.  One of the few "knocks" on Alec by some talent evaluators was his overall athleticism, which to my knowledge no one ever questioned about Hayward. But, that can improve over time.  He'll be an interesting guy to watch.  As far as Valpo vs. Butler vs. St. Louis vs. Tennessee, etc., I think Alec made a great choice.  With Valpo losing it's entire starting 5 from a year ago, he is an immediate starter and even has sets already designed to get him open. Valpo's coaching staff is a great teaching group, as well.  That doesn't mean he wouldn't have the same success somewhere else, only that he might have to wait longer.   

These are really good points.  I really like his game ... didn't see the game today, but sounds like he had another great one. 

It will be interesting to see how he develops during his time at Valpo.  With his size and scoring ability, he'll make a lot of money playing the game.  Only time will tell where that is.

vu84v2

While I was at the New Mexico - Kansas game last night and my cousin was watching Purdue-Butler, we were texting some about Alec Peters (he is a Butler alum and stays close to their recruiting).  He thinks that their recruiting has really suffered in recent years.  His comment about Peters and Butler was that the recruiting was really odd...that Butler people thought that he was a player below their level (my cousin thinks Peters would have been a good fit for Butler, but also feels that they have been really weak at recruiting centers and point guards).  My guess is that Butler is going to look very foolish in the next few years.

elephtheria47

i dont believe that "butler didn't want him" "below their level" etc. I think it was more of a scholarship issue, they wanted someone ahead of peters and just ran out of spots. he is a great get and already is a player.

wh

classof2014

To put what Alec Peters has done as a freshman by scoring 30 points not once but twice in a game already. Over the past 10 seasons we've only had 16 such occurrences (including this season) where a player had 30 or more in a game.

32 points - Dan Oppland (So), March 8, 2004 @ UMKC
35 points - Dan Oppland (Sr), January 14, 2006 @ Western Illinois
32 points - Samuel Haanpaa (So), December 15, 2007 vs Chicago State
32 points - Shawn Huff (Sr), February 23, 2008 vs Miami (OH)*
30 points - Brandon Wood (So), November 15, 2009 @ North Carolina
39 points - Brandon Wood (So), November 27, 2009 @ Georgia Southern
31 points - Cory Johnson (Sr), January 8, 2010 @ Detroit
35 points - Brandon Wood (Jr), December 21, 2010 @ Oakland
33 points - Cory Johnson (Sr), December 21, 2010 @ Oakland
31 points - Brandon Wood (Jr), February 5, 2011 @ Youngstown State*
30 points - Brandon Wood (Jr), March 4, 2011 vs Detroit (@ Milwaukee)
30 points - Ryan Broekhoff (Sr), November 24, 2012 vs Bethune-Cookman
31 points - Kevin Van Wijk (Sr), January 17, 2013 @ Detroit
30 points - Alec Peters (Fr), November 20, 2013 @ Evansville
31 points - LaVonte Dority (Sr), November 29, 2013 vs Mercer*
30 points - Alec Peters (Fr), December 14, 2013 vs Loyola-Marymount

*overtime games
Only against D1 opponents

Over Brandon Wood's 2 seasons in a Valpo uniform he had 5 30+ point games, the only 3 other players had more than 1 30 point game, is Dan Oppland, Cory Johnson, and Alec Peters. Alec Peters is in the same company as Wood as being the only player to score 30 twice in a season. I think this really shows how special of a player we have in Alec, no player in their freshman year over the past 10 seasons had a 30 point game and in just 10 games against D1 opponents Alec already has 2. If Alec keeps it up he will be the holder of many Valpo basketball records. Bravo Alec!

--Side note--

I think Brandon Wood would've been drafted into the NBA if he decided to stay at Valpo instead of transfer to Michigan State. I think being a superstar in a good conference would've done much more for him than being a decent player in arguably the best basketball conference.

EDIT: Updated with Cory Johnson's 31 point performance at Detroit. Which makes 16 games.

Pgmado

Cory Johnson had 31 at Detroit on 1/8/10

classof2014

Quote from: Pgmado on December 15, 2013, 04:13:30 PM
Cory Johnson had 31 at Detroit on 1/8/10

Now updated, missed that game.

Quote from: classof2014 on December 15, 2013, 03:12:18 PM
To put what Alec Peters has done as a freshman by scoring 30 points not once but twice in a game already. Over the past 10 seasons we've only had 16 such occurrences (including this season) where a player had 30 or more in a game.

32 points - Dan Oppland (So), March 8, 2004 @ UMKC
35 points - Dan Oppland (Sr), January 14, 2006 @ Western Illinois
32 points - Samuel Haanpaa (So), December 15, 2007 vs Chicago State
32 points - Shawn Huff (Sr), February 23, 2009 vs Miami (OH)*
30 points - Brandon Wood (So), November 15, 2009 @ North Carolina
39 points - Brandon Wood (So), November 27, 2009 @ Georgia Southern
31 points - Cory Johnson (Sr), January 8, 2010 @ Detroit
35 points - Brandon Wood (Jr), December 21, 2010 @ Oakland
33 points - Cory Johnson (Sr), December 21, 2010 @ Oakland
31 points - Brandon Wood (Jr), February 5, 2011 @ Youngstown State*
30 points - Brandon Wood (Jr), March 4, 2011 vs Detroit (@ Milwaukee)
30 points - Ryan Broekhoff (Sr), November 24, 2012 vs Bethune-Cookman
31 points - Kevin Van Wijk (Sr), January 17, 2013 @ Detroit
30 points - Alec Peters (Fr), November 20, 2013 @ Evansville
31 points - LaVonte Dority (Sr), November 29, 2013 vs Mercer*
30 points - Alec Peters (Fr), December 14, 2013 vs Loyola-Marymount

*overtime games
Only against D1 opponents

Over Brandon Wood's 2 seasons in a Valpo uniform he had 5 30+ point games, the only 3 other players had more than 1 30 point game, is Dan Oppland, Cory Johnson, and Alec Peters. Alec Peters is in the same company as Wood as being the only player to score 30 twice in a season. I think this really shows how special of a player we have in Alec, no player in their freshman year over the past 10 seasons had a 30 point game and in just 10 games against D1 opponents Alec already has 2. If Alec keeps it up he will be the holder of many Valpo basketball records. Bravo Alec!

--Side note--

I think Brandon Wood would've been drafted into the NBA if he decided to stay at Valpo instead of transfer to Michigan State. I think being a superstar in a good conference would've done much more for him than being a decent player in arguably the best basketball conference.

EDIT: Updated with Cory Johnson's 31 point performance at Detroit. Which makes 16 games.

StlVUFan

Quote from: classof2014 on December 15, 2013, 03:12:18 PM32 points - Shawn Huff (Sr), February 23, 2009 vs Miami (OH)*
Typo, that was 2008.

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on December 15, 2013, 01:57:39 PM
I think there's some confusion.  Alec WAS offered by Butler. 

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Alec-Peters-142859

This is correct.  The offer ended up going away because another player committed before Alec did.  Many Butler fans (including me) were disappointed, but you can't get every player you want.  As I stated, he landed in a good spot.  Here's a brief recap of the Peters-Butler situation.   http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/2012/08/23/butler-peters-move-on/

IndyValpo

Quote from: zvillehaze on December 15, 2013, 07:04:20 PM
Quote from: wh on December 15, 2013, 01:57:39 PM
I think there's some confusion.  Alec WAS offered by Butler. 

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Alec-Peters-142859

This is correct.  The offer ended up going away because another player committed before Alec did.  Many Butler fans (including me) were disappointed, but you can't get every player you want.  As I stated, he landed in a good spot.  Here's a brief recap of the Peters-Butler situation.   http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/2012/08/23/butler-peters-move-on/

I am friends with a Butler professor who is involved with their recruiting and I know they liked Peters a lot. After the big guy from out east (I will make no attempt to spell it) signed they went guard with Brown who will be very good. Personally I think Peters is and will be better than the 2 Butler signed. We probably got lucky when Smeathers waited until school started before transferring. They might have gotten Peters as well. Good for us!!!!!

Valpofan00

Really hoping Alec doesn't decide to transfer before his college career is over, because he's gonna be a hell of a play his next 3 years.

classof2014

Quote from: Valpofan00 on December 15, 2013, 08:25:33 PM
Really hoping Alec doesn't decide to transfer before his college career is over, because he's gonna be a hell of a play his next 3 years.

I would say it's unlikely for him to transfer. He had the opportunity to go to some big name programs. Like SLU, BC, and Butler I suppose but chose Valpo. If he wanted to wait on making a decision he probably would've gotten big name program offers. From a few interviews I've seen with Alec, he believes Valpo can be the next VCU, Butler, or Wichita State, which is great to hear from a freshman and I do believe that this team has the potential in 2 years to be at that level. He is a sensational basketball player, he can score from anywhere on the court, and is incredibly difficult to guard.

Drew should hire a body guard to keep Tom Izzo away from Valpo at all costs. :lol:

Joking aside, it would be a damn shame for him to transfer. He can easily become the best player to put on the brown and gold and bring Valpo back to stardom, that a certain somebody did at Valpo 15 years back. Like I said it I think it is highly unlikely for Alec to transfer.

LaPorteAveApostle

...why are we even talking about his transferring?

unless there is concrete evidence that he's talking to other schools as we speak, it's just certain people manifesting their phobias.  which is unbecoming.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpospartan

Quote from: classof2014 on December 15, 2013, 08:37:39 PM
Drew should hire a body guard to keep Tom Izzo away from Valpo at all costs. :lol:

Tom Izzo would never raid another school's player - he has way too much class for that.

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpospartan on December 15, 2013, 09:44:35 PM

Tom Izzo would never raid another school's player - he has way too much class for that.

Brandon didn't leave because Izzo lured him away.  My sources tell me he was merely a willing taker once Brandon's services were being shopped around by a very short man with aspirations of something bigger and better than Valpo. 

FWIW, I don't see how any of this applies to Peters. 

classof2014

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 15, 2013, 10:15:22 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on December 15, 2013, 09:44:35 PM

Brandon didn't leave because Izzo lured him away.  My sources tell me he was merely a willing taker once Brandon's services were being shopped around by a very short man with aspirations of something bigger and better than Valpo. 

FWIW, I don't see how any of this applies to Peters. 

Agree with that he isn't transferring. Like I said he had options to go elsewhere and chose good ol' Valpo over them, it's obviously paying off quite well right now for him.