• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lutheran Miracle

Started by KL31NY, December 13, 2013, 04:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

Tuesday marks the 25th anniversary of the "Lutheran Miracle" (for anyone that might not know, it's Valpo's 71-68 OT win vs. Notre Dame at the ARC on December 17th, 1988 - http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-12-18/sports/8802250783_1_irish-coach-digger-phelps-valpo-valparaiso-coach-homer-drew)

Paul Oren tweets these awesome details about he and the Times are covering the anniversary:

Excited to say I'll have a story on 25th anniversary of Valpo's "Miracle on Union Street" win over Notre Dame in Sunday's NWI Times #VUND25

The story will be accompanied by an online-only oral history of the game featuring the thoughts of many of the key participants. #VUND25

Interviews were conducted with Mike Jones, Scott Anselm, Homer Drew, LaPhonso Ellis and Tommy Lasorda among others. #VUND25

The highly-skilled @fredv21 also worked on a video project that will compliment the stories featuring highlights and interviews. #VUND25

Finally, on Tuesday night, the 25th anniversary of the game, I'll be "live-tweeting" the contest beginning at 7 p.m. #VUND25

A look back at Homer Drew from the Miracle on Union Street. #VUND25
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

talksalot

:banghead:  I am not that old... I am Not that OLD!  this was my second year at the mike...I'm NOT that old...

humbleopinion

I may pull out my VHS tape of the game and watch it on the anniversary -- if I can find a tape player.
Beamin' Beacons

EddieCabot

Just curious ... was this game the last win for Valpo over ND, Purdue or IU?  Not sure why, but it doesn't seem like Valpo matches up against those teams anymore.    ???

KL31NY

We also beat Notre Dame in 1993 on the road. In addition, our 1995 game at Purdue was originally a loss but later awarded to Valpo as a forfeit. Luther Clay, a freshman reserve who averaged 7.6 minutes per game and appeared in the contest, received a $4,000 bank prior to the season that was reportedly set up by a Purdue assistant and was never repaid under his impression that it never needed to be.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

valpospartan

Quote from: humbleopinion on December 13, 2013, 05:15:04 PM
I may pull out my VHS tape of the game and watch it on the anniversary -- if I can find a tape player.

Me too! :rotfl:

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 13, 2013, 10:57:05 PM
Just curious ... was this game the last win for Valpo over ND, Purdue or IU?  Not sure why, but it doesn't seem like Valpo matches up against those teams anymore.    ???

Take your Butler cap off, EC.   ;)

With rare exception (yes, your Bulldogs having been one for a period of time in their history), since when do mids "match up" against basketball-focused high majors like IU, Purdue and ND? Mids don't play in high profile leagues, they have mediocre budgets comparatively, recruiting equivalent high profile players is far more challenging, and majors hold all the cards in regard to which mids they'll play, when and where. IMO to use how you "match up" against high profile majors on their home court as a measuring stick of anything is silly and counter productive.  It holds your program to a standard it realistically cannot achieve and diminishes all the good things you accomplish at your own level.  So, in direct response to your comment, I could care less whether we ever did, now do, or ever will match up with IU, Purdue or ND.   

vu72

We also matched up just fine against Notre Dame at the \united Center in 2002, the last time we played.  Now they won't even play us on a neutral court.  In 2002, we were down one with a few seconds to play and Scott elected to try a three for the win.  It didn't go in, but in any event, losing by a point surely would qualify as "matching up"!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on December 14, 2013, 12:03:07 AM
We also matched up just fine against Notre Dame at the \united Center in 2002, the last time we played.  Now they won't even play us on a neutral court.  In 2002, we were down one with a few seconds to play and Scott elected to try a three for the win.  It didn't go in, but in any event, losing by a point surely would qualify as "matching up"!

I believe we led that game against ND for a decent time, but lost by 2?

The Purdue game you are referencing was also when I was in school, and was the game that Ali Berdiel dribbled off his foot as he came to half court with minimal defense on him, on a possession to take the lead with under 2 minutes left. 

Found the games:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2001-02/1279/purdue-vs-valpo-11-16-2001/

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2002-03/1259/valpo-vs-6-notre-dame-01-04-2003/
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: humbleopinion on December 13, 2013, 05:15:04 PM

I was sitting behind the Notre Dame bench and can be seen on the video in a couple of shots with the Irish during time outs, though I don't recognize that guy anymore when I look in the mirror.  :(    I could hear Digger's words to the players, and each time out he told them they were going to win and there was no way they were going to lose.  :)

That was Pres. Harre's first year at VU. He was sitting across the aisle from me, and at the final buzzer, I was the first one to offer congratulations and shake his hand.

crusaderjoe

ND '88 was the last time we beat a ranked opponent at home if I recall correctly, not that there have been many opportunities--although Butler slipped through our fingers a few years ago in that regard.  Someone on the old board posted a video of the last few minutes and the OT session of the Miracle, but I think it was pulled or removed shortly thereafter.  Too bad.  One of the most exciting games ever at the ARC for sure.

a3uge

Matches up in terms of playing games against them, or matches up in terms of being as competitive as them? Because right now Notre Dame is awful and just lost to North Dakota State.

78crusader

When I was 10 years old VU played Purdue at VU and crushed them, 114-96. I think (but I'm not sure) the Purdue had Dave Schellhase, an All-America player.  This was around 1965.  It was the most exciting game I have ever been to, other than the win over #1-ranked Evansville, 83-73 later that same year.

Paul

Valpo89

I was at the game. I was a senior at IU and home for Christmas break. It was great to see the win because I went to high school with Jones, Anselm and Todd Smith.
The next week, I was assigned my first-ever story as a Vidette Messenger writer - talking to Homer about the inspiration of the "Dodger Blue" jacket. I'm sure that will be discussed in Paul Oren's stories.
I went home that night and recorded the game, because it was on tape delay on SportsVision. I then wrote "erase and die" on the tape so my brothers and sisters wouldn't ruin it.
I still have that tape. But someone also made me a DVD copy.
I have to rank that in the top VU games in memory that I attended along with 'Ol Miss and Florida State 1998, Western Illinois 3OT victory in 1995 and Broekhoff's shot vs. GB last March.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 14, 2013, 10:46:41 AMtalking to Homer about the inspiration of the "Dodger Blue" jacket.
i remember that story!  i was 10.  sheesh
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

mj

I believe highlights of the game used to be on Youtube, including the end of the game. But I guess the video was pulled off the internet. Someone should re-post it.
I believe that we will win.

KL31NY

Quote from: mj on December 14, 2013, 11:52:33 AM
I believe highlights of the game used to be on Youtube, including the end of the game. But I guess the video was pulled off the internet. Someone should re-post it.
Fully agree. That's why I'm looking forward to the video feature along with the other events just to see what they have.

Also, some clips from that game were a part of our halftime highlights in the 2011-12 season 2012 Valpo Men's Basketball Halftime Highlights

Pgmado

Have at it...

Looking back at Miracle on Union Street -- http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/lutheran-miracle-looking-back-on-the-miracle-on-union-street/article_f2f2923a-155b-5dfa-9891-ae37b8df8984.html

Miracle on Union Street: An Oral History -- http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/lutheran-miracle-miracle-on-union-street-an-oral-history/article_03543443-784f-5cb2-ba7f-e1505e976927.html

Video featuring highlights and interviews with Homer Drew, Mike Jones and Scott Anselm -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swE_g590c2M&feature=youtu.be

Will be "live tweeting" the game on Tuesday night, the 25th anniversary of the game. @NWIOren; #VUND25

talksalot

What time will you be twerking... er uh tweeting?

LaPorteAveApostle

Paul, I just have to thank you for this. Not even finished reading, but it's already one of my favorite things I've read all year.  This brings back the memories for me--this was my first season as a kid going to games.

I remember Anselm's knee brace, the way Jim Ford's hair was slicked and curled in the back (tried to do that myself...didn't work)...all these things, and this just brings it all to life again.  What a gift!  Thank you.

EDIT:  tried to embed.  Just watched the video...amazing.  And to see Jones & Anselm...how funny to see them today.  Time changes us all.  (also nice to see they're still friends.)

This might be heresy, but I think this is my favorite win / valpo moment.  1998 was great, but that has become the nation's thing.  That was "Name" off A Boy Named Goo, but this was "We Are the Normal" from Superstar Car Wash.  (Or this was "Fire Maple Song" on World of Noise, before the world heard "Santa Monica" on...whatever that album was.  No?  How about "Best Imitation of Myself" before "Brick" hit?  Eh.  either you get the idea or we would never be friends anyway.)

This is still "our thing", and thanks to the good people at SportsVision, it's frozen in time--all the 70s shorts, the 80s hair--and the 90s success, just a little early.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

chef

An absolutely fabulous read. Well done!

vu84v2

Agreed.  An outstanding and fun read.  Thanks for putting it together and posting it.

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on December 13, 2013, 11:47:34 PM

Take your Butler cap off, EC.   ;)

With rare exception (yes, your Bulldogs having been one for a period of time in their history), since when do mids "match up" against basketball-focused high majors like IU, Purdue and ND? Mids don't play in high profile leagues, they have mediocre budgets comparatively, recruiting equivalent high profile players is far more challenging, and majors hold all the cards in regard to which mids they'll play, when and where. IMO to use how you "match up" against high profile majors on their home court as a measuring stick of anything is silly and counter productive.  It holds your program to a standard it realistically cannot achieve and diminishes all the good things you accomplish at your own level.  So, in direct response to your comment, I could care less whether we ever did, now do, or ever will match up with IU, Purdue or ND.   

Understood, wh.  I'm not trying to tell anyone how to schedule.  My comment was somewhat inspired by this article ... http://www.indystar.com/story/butler-insider/2013/12/12/butlers-greatest-moments-at-bankers-life-fieldhouse/3997315/.  That record is now 9-2 with Saturday's win over Purdue, with a 7-1 record vs. IU, Purdue and ND.  Those wins were very instrumental in increasing Butler's reputation as a legitimate program in Indiana. 

If Valpo chooses to schedule in a different way, I respect that and respect your opinion.  Carry on with what's working for you and I'll do my best to avoid mentioning what Butler did to move beyond your normal mid-major (even though I think Valpo has the potential to do that).

valpo92

Definitely a top Valpo memory for me. Curtis Stevens confirming the banks were indeed open on a Saturday night...