• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Most Anticipated Debut

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, December 15, 2013, 08:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, the long wait is over, and Keith Carter is suiting up soon in the Sunshine State.  (try saying that five point four times fast)

Certainly it's a highly anticipated debut, for a number of reasons:
--it's a midseason addition to a good team (usually a team debuts all together)
--he's a transfer from a good program
--and also, HE'S GOOD you guys.

Got me thinking--who are the people whose first game in the Brown and Gold you have anxiously looked forward to?  And who paid off and then some?  I think back to Bryce, obviously.   

Then there were people that maybe weren't as touted but should have been (Brandon Wood).

There were those that were looked forward to and maybe weren't as good as the hype, but still good (Kenny Harris).

Then those who were hyped but really could have saved us all the drama (Tony Falu, Mo Kone--maybe Rob Harden, peoples?).

Who are the people whose Crusader debuts are those to which you have MOST looked forward? 

(A preposition at the end of a sentence is something up with which I will not put)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

Ali Berdiel's debut was much anticipated.  There was hype around him prior to wearing a Valpo jersey. 

I was anticipating Moussa's debut as well.  He didn't have the hype surrounding him but it had been a long time since we had a 7 footer with that type of athleticism. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpofan00

I think Keith Or Alec will be one of the best to ever put on a Valpo Jersey

classof2014

This year's freshmen class. Primarily because it would dictate the future of Valpo basketball and the future right now is quite bright.

gamelord

To be honest, I haven't been this pumped up for a players debut since Kenny Harris. Feels like getting a Broekhoff for xmas.

humbleopinion

There was a great deal of hype about the Falu debut...
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

How about:   
Kenny Harris?
Kareem Abdul Jabbar Jr?
David Redmon?

LaPorteAveApostle

I was super excited about Redmon because VHS obviously; I was excited about KA-J JR simply because of the name, and boy if that wasn't a letdown!

Casey Schmidt too.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 15, 2013, 08:09:01 PM
Well, the long wait is over, and Keith Carter is suiting up soon in the Sunshine State.  (try saying that five point four times fast)

Got me thinking--who are the people whose first game in the Brown and Gold you have anxiously looked forward to?  And who paid off and then some?  I think back to Bryce, obviously.   

Then there were people that maybe weren't as touted but should have been (Brandon Wood).

There were those that were looked forward to and maybe weren't as good as the hype, but still good (Kenny Harris).

Then those who were hyped but really could have saved us all the drama (Tony Falu, Mo Kone--maybe Rob Harden, peoples?).

Who are the people whose Crusader debuts are those to which you have MOST looked forward? 

(A preposition at the end of a sentence is something up with which I will not put)
I am not sure that your topic introduction was designed to exclude discussion of his effects on the team but if so then I'll take this opportunity to hijack it anyway and broaden the thread content.

Obviously we are not in as great a need of Carters help this year as we were in need of Doritys help last year. That is not a comment on the basketball skills of either of these players but a reflection of the 2012-13 team shortcomings. The surprising play of Lexus Williams now gives the coaching staff more time and flexibility towards finding Carters best use with the  least team disruption.  Since we have no immediate need of him trying to be the best player on the floor he should come off the bench unless he (over time) makes it obvious that such a move is holding back the entire team. As I have stated before just the addition of Carter as a backup player at the point and the 2 makes this a much, much better team and our upcoming results should reflect it. Above all lets remember that LaVonte was not an instant sensation and that Keith may require just as much patience.

vu72

Quote from: justducky on December 16, 2013, 03:59:42 PM

I am not sure that your topic introduction was designed to exclude discussion of his effects on the team but if so then I'll take this opportunity to hijack it anyway and broaden the thread content.

Obviously we are not in as great a need of Carters help this year as we were in need of Doritys help last year. That is not a comment on the basketball skills of either of these players but a reflection of the 2012-13 team shortcomings. The surprising play of Lexus Williams now gives the coaching staff more time and flexibility towards finding Carters best use with the  least team disruption.  Since we have no immediate need of him trying to be the best player on the floor he should come off the bench unless he (over time) makes it obvious that such a move is holding back the entire team. As I have stated before just the addition of Carter as a backup player at the point and the 2 makes this a much, much better team and our upcoming results should reflect it. Above all lets remember that LaVonte was not an instant sensation and that Keith may require just as much patience.

While your praise of Lexus is noteworthy and well placed, I think we have seen several freshman mistakes of late from him.  Mistakes at the point are critical.  Carter will be much more than a backup and it will be much better having a guy like Lexus coming off the bench. Remember that in the last game Lexus' status was in doubt and lacking a true point backup had to add Clay to the mix.  It didn't go well. In the last two games Lexus has scored 3 points with 3 assts and 4 tos.

Finally, remember that Keith Carter was runner up to Mr. Basketball while Lexus was all conference.  Carter is much more of a scorer so will add another dimension.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Chairback

I was eager to see Anthony Allison play when they announced him.  If I remember he was highly ranked in juco.  He's in my Valpo top 5. (Drew, Barton, Broekhoff, Grafs, Allison)

I think Falu lived up to the hype on the court but the gym wasn't big enough for his head.

Kone had to be the biggest hyped player.  I also feel Kone was really really good but Homer didn't know how to use him and incorporate his game into Valpo's style correctly.

Valpo89

Now that I think about it, I never looked forward to anyone playing more than David Redmon and Casey Schmidt.
Why? Because the team was bad until they got there.
They were on campus for one year before they were eligible to play.
They were from Valpo High School.
They gave Tracy Gipson a chance to play with some good players.

And to be honest, I'm not sure we'd even be having this discussion if Dave and Casey had NOT transferred to VU. Because the program may have continued on its downward death spiral. Bryce may have gone to Notre Dame. Homer may have been fired. Who knows.

Chairback

good point 89.  Valpo had local players before but not like them.  They sparked the interest with fans attending and got the ball rolling with being competitive.  If they never made it to Valpo there's so many what ifs...

VUfan

Let's hope the team chemistry continues to grow and is not disrupted.

classof2014

Quote from: vu72 on December 16, 2013, 04:48:21 PM
Quote from: justducky on December 16, 2013, 03:59:42 PM

While your praise of Lexus is noteworthy and well placed, I think we have seen several freshman mistakes of late from him.  Mistakes at the point are critical.  Carter will be much more than a backup and it will be much better having a guy like Lexus coming off the bench. Remember that in the last game Lexus' status was in doubt and lacking a true point backup had to add Clay to the mix.  It didn't go well. In the last two games Lexus has scored 3 points with 3 assts and 4 tos.

Finally, remember that Keith Carter was runner up to Mr. Basketball while Lexus was all conference.  Carter is much more of a scorer so will add another dimension.

Keith Carter is gonna start every game that he's in a Valpo uniform. Being runner up Mr. Basketball in the great state of Illinois is nothing to laugh at. Personally I think it's good for a PG to sit a bit and watch. They're the quarterback of the offense as well as the middle line backer on defense. We saw how important Buggs was to the team last year. In games he fouled out, (home vs Detroit) we were lost both offensively and defensively and subsequently squandered a rather comfortable lead.

Chances are with KC we win both the SLU game as well as the Ohio game and possibly the Illinois or Mercer game. Nothing against Lexus but he still has some learning to do, we saw that when they played SLU. If KC really is as good as they say we're gonna be great and we can't afford to have him not play 30 minutes a game. Lexus still has some learning to do, he has a lot of potential and will be a good player but a PG typically needs experience and KC has been with the team a year now, while Lexus has only been here a few months. KC came here because he wants to start not be a backup.

valpotx

Let's not jinx Carter with any Falu references... :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

chipper955

I'm going to keep my expectations down about Keith.  You guys got me all excited about Ben Boggs a couple of years ago after he transferred from Virginia Tech and was eligible after the first semester.  Not to say he wasn't a nice addition to the team, but he never played up to my expectations that I had of him.

chef

If your expectations are down for Carter, then trust me, he'll play well beyond your expectations. He's a very special talent.

wh

Quote from: chef on December 16, 2013, 08:15:19 PM
If your expectations are down for Carter, then trust me, he'll play well beyond your expectations. He's a very special talent.

Post of the day right here! 

justducky

Quote from: chef on December 16, 2013, 08:15:19 PMIf your expectations are down for Carter, then trust me, he'll play well beyond your expectations.
My expectations have been and still are very high and I thank you for your reassurance. I have been very careful however not to expect him to walk on water what with the rising temperatures starting to thaw area ice by weeks end.

Just for a reality check I want to remind everybody that at this point Lexus has played a lot more college basketball (game situations) than Keith and that Keith may well add to better team success by playing his allocated minutes in a reserve role. Personally I think we are very likely to sweep the next 4 games no matter who starts but if we come out the gate cold in any of them Carter could be a big, very big  momentum changer coming off the bench.

Whatever the choice I will understand and trust Bryces judgment because I am not certain that there is a wrong answer.

wh

Quote from: chef on December 16, 2013, 08:15:19 PM

It's been awhile since I've seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0QhWUd7Tv0

FWalum

Watched some KC high school games and all I can say is that our bigs need to be ready to catch the ball because there is going to be a lot of driving and dishing going on.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpower

Quote from: FWalum on December 17, 2013, 10:11:07 AMWatched some KC high school games and all I can say is that our bigs need to be ready to catch the ball because there is going to be a lot of driving and dishing going on.

This will be the ideal way to get offensive production out of Moussa and Vashil and I predict that we will see them fouling out less frequently when the opponent is racking up fouls as least as quickly they are.  (I don't know if defense-only big men ever work out that well, but when they are the floater in a mostly-zone defense, expecting them to not foul out based on pure technique seems wishful.)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on December 17, 2013, 10:11:07 AMour bigs need to be ready to catch the ball
yikes.  sometimes they don't even catch it when they know it's coming.

usc4valpo

The biggest overhyped player in Valpo hoops history beyond any doubt had to be Rob Harden in 1983-84.  They were bringing him in as the savior of the program where "next year is here."  He had a great shot, but was slow and could not play defense.  Also, his personality was such that he would have been kicked out of a Dale Carnegie course.

I never understood how the Valparaiso community supported him. It was embarrassing.