• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo's Fan Base

Started by gamelord, December 17, 2013, 07:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamelord

My first post, although kinda controversial...not intended that way. The first thing I notice about the fans at home games is that there are alot of old people at the games. Don't get me wrong...that's a good thing as it shows that we have a very loyal fan base. I just wonder if you guys think it's the marketing departments fault for not recruiting more younger fans? I also wonder if we have one of the oldest fan bases in the nation. I'm sorry if I offend anyone. I'm just curious if anyone else thinks the same.

a3uge

They have a season ticket package for young alumni, but they don't really seem to advertise it or market it to recent alumni. I had a long rant about that in the LMU game thread. One of the biggest reasons why you don't see more younger faces is that alumni tend to not stay in the area; they get jobs back in Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, etc and not in Chesterton, Hobart, or Valpo.

They really need to start marketing to younger alumni and encourage young alumni to make the trip back... Maybe they could market a hotel/game package or something like that to get people back in the area. Keeping people interested is also important and social networking is a huge way to do that. They don't seen to do a good job at this. Anytime Valpo is on TV, they need to be letting fans know there's going to be a game on.

classof2014

Quote from: a3uge on December 17, 2013, 09:30:31 AM
They have a season ticket package for young alumni, but they don't really seem to advertise it or market it to recent alumni. I had a long rant about that in the LMU game thread. One of the biggest reasons why you don't see more younger faces is that alumni tend to not stay in the area; they get jobs back in Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, etc and not in Chesterton, Hobart, or Valpo.

They really need to start marketing to younger alumni and encourage young alumni to make the trip back... Maybe they could market a hotel/game package or something like that to get people back in the area. Keeping people interested is also important and social networking is a huge way to do that. They don't seen to do a good job at this. Anytime Valpo is on TV, they need to be letting fans know there's going to be a game on.

Couldn't have said it better myself. From a student's point of view, I will be graduating shortly and if I were to stay in NWI, I would without a doubt be a season ticket holder next season. Unfortunately, there isn't much around here, I'm hoping I can stay Chicagoland but who knows. I think the 5 game package is a terrific idea that they're doing but they need to market that in places like Chicago, Fort Wayne, or Indy.

Let us not forget Valpo is pretty small. It stands alone for the most part and only has 35,000 immediate people to draw from. If Valpo were located in Merrillville instead the school would have 600,000 people to draw from. Also an issue is that if you didn't go to Valpo and are a college basketball fan you probably align yourself with Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, or Notre Dame because they're always on TV.

They really need to start marketing in some nearby markets better. Valpo's market is too small to draw 5,000 fans on a consistent basis. Yes 35,000 people is a lot but let's say 3,000 people who live in Valpo are Valpo grads and lets say 2,000 show up to every game then you need to look elsewhere to fill the ARC. They need to do a better job marketing in Lake County and Chicago if they want to fill the ARC.

a3uge

Let's not forget, the best way to draw 5k fans a game for a year is to make the sweet 16 :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

valpo64

One of the better ways to increase our fan base is to GET BETTER SEATING!  The ARC needs many improvements  but seating capacity is not as important as the type of seating available.  It is time to get ARC improvements started, NOW not LATER!

Valpower

Winning helps, but it's not everything (see, Chicago Cubs).  An effective way to draw a younger crowd, regardless of their basketball affinities, is to sell beer.  And don't bother bringing me down to earth with the barriers, because the real nugget is the idea is that filling the seats involves more than just basketball.  I think marketing might ask how they can draw people who don't necessarily care about Valpo or basketball, which mostly relates to the product as a broad entertainment product; is the seating comfortable, are the concessions memorable, is the sideshow appealing, and is the atmosphere electric?

Think about the Valpo alumni who move to Chicago and have friends and significant others who are not alumni.  The chances are good that if they can't sell at least a few of those in his social circle on the idea of catching a game (rather than everything else they could do in Chicago) that they are not going to go alone.  I've been in that position and it was a hard sell.

The electronic scoreboards have helped the atmosphere, but I'm guessing the comfort level has probably not changed (chairbacks all around--addition by subtraction).  For me, the biggest obstacle was always the concessions.  Anyone driving from Chicago, who couldn't afford to leave work early was looking at heat-lamp pizza or hot dogs for dinner or a very late drive home after eating outside of the ARC, in Valpo.  I don't know whether they've improved, but if they're aren't a least a few wholesome choices for people who care about what they put in their stomach, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

ml2

Sometime in the last couple of years University Dining Services took over responsibility for all concessions in the ARC (other than the Culver's ice cream cart). They do a great job. The prices are similar to those at a high school game, but with a greater variety of options like those found at pricier pro sports venues. Here is the menu from the main arena floor concession stand which has the largest number of items available.

valpotx

Haha, it was always fun working the concessions at a few games each year (baseball used to staff the games).  It is much better that they have professionals working the stands now, as we ate a decent amount of the food ourselves... :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: Valpower on December 17, 2013, 02:24:51 PM
Winning helps, but it's not everything (see, Chicago Cubs).  An effective way to draw a younger crowd, regardless of their basketball affinities, is to sell beer.  And don't bother bringing me down to earth with the barriers, because the real nugget is the idea is that filling the seats involves more than just basketball.  I think marketing might ask how they can draw people who don't necessarily care about Valpo or basketball, which mostly relates to the product as a broad entertainment product; is the seating comfortable, are the concessions memorable, is the sideshow appealing, and is the atmosphere electric?

Think about the Valpo alumni who move to Chicago and have friends and significant others who are not alumni.  The chances are good that if they can't sell at least a few of those in his social circle on the idea of catching a game (rather than everything else they could do in Chicago) that they are not going to go alone.  I've been in that position and it was a hard sell.

The electronic scoreboards have helped the atmosphere, but I'm guessing the comfort level has probably not changed (chairbacks all around--addition by subtraction).  For me, the biggest obstacle was always the concessions.  Anyone driving from Chicago, who couldn't afford to leave work early was looking at heat-lamp pizza or hot dogs for dinner or a very late drive home after eating outside of the ARC, in Valpo.  I don't know whether they've improved, but if they're aren't a least a few wholesome choices for people who care about what they put in their stomach, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

OK, when did you reappear?  Welcome back!!  You were always one of the best!  Now, as for the menu, it looks fine to me, for a basketball venue, and darn cheap at that.  The problem which will I'm sure be addressed in the remake of the ARC, is, where do you eat your salad?  Do you climb up to Section EE and wait for twelve people to slide by to get to their seats, all the while trying desperately to not get the blue cheese dressing on your brand new Valpo sweatshirt?  And now that you are finished, do you slide by another 12 people, climb down and try to find a trash can?  Or do you stick in under your feet, hoping, one more time, that those previously mentioned patrons won't disturb your leftovers?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

No simple answers.   But maybe target Chicago on weekends and Indiana ticket buyers on week nights?
Everything always looks easier on the outside and I know I have commented at length on this matter.   At this point, I will gladly take an A.D. who has hired the amazing set of coaches and turned so many sports around.    Football likes the final check mark.   It would be good to see one big push for football crowd building because the atmosphere has always been a little lame even in the good years of 2000 to 2003.
Student interest still seems like a real issue of breadth.  I see a few dozen hardy students in the bleachers for all games.   For stronger ones another 4-5 dozen jump on the bandwagon.   But beyond that I sense there just isn't a broad awareness and interest among students.  With higher percents of international students, that trend is unlikely to change.    Put down the cello once a year.

Valpower

Quote from: vu72 on December 17, 2013, 04:07:19 PM
OK, when did you reappear?  Welcome back!!  You were always one of the best!  Now, as for the menu, it looks fine to me, for a basketball venue, and darn cheap at that.  The problem which will I'm sure be addressed in the remake of the ARC, is, where do you eat your salad?  Do you climb up to Section EE and wait for twelve people to slide by to get to their seats, all the while trying desperately to not get the blue cheese dressing on your brand new Valpo sweatshirt?  And now that you are finished, do you slide by another 12 people, climb down and try to find a trash can?  Or do you stick in under your feet, hoping, one more time, that those previously mentioned patrons won't disturb your leftovers?

I've been lurking forever, waiting for a special team to bring me back to posting, vu72.  The fare does look better and reasonably portable and it doesn't need to get any fancier, but a small dining area wouldn't hurt. As for now, I'd think you could spread out a blanket in Section EE and have a picnic.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpower on December 17, 2013, 04:47:00 PMyou could spread out a blanket in Section EE and have a picnic
just not ON Section EE, eh, HC? ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu84v2

Weighting of factors, in my view, that will draw more fans and interest:
1.  Winning (overall and against prime opponents)  45%
1a.  Electric atmosphere (obviously winning is one of the drivers of this)  45%
2.  Seating:  3%
3.  Concessions: 3%
4.  Other factors covering the remaining 4%

Bottom line:  you really need to energize the students to create the atmosphere and then, with winning, you will get more people to make the trip.

Though many of you might not agree with using Kansas as a comparison, I think that when you factor in scale (size of the town and the university) you get some insights.  Allen Fieldhouse holds 16,300 while the Arc holds ~5,000.  Sure Kansas has one of the best legacies in the country, but ticket prices are many many times hirer at Allen Fieldhouse.  Allen Fieldhouse has far worse seating than the arc.  Parking is worse (i.e. most people have to walk further in the poor weather).  Concessions are more numerous, but probably similar in scale (no beer).  The drive is about the same distance from the major metro area, but much easier from Kansas City to Lawrence than from Chicago to Valparaiso. 

Allen Fieldhouse sells out because of the environment and because the team wins.  The students not only pack most or all of their section (about 4,000), but they get there 2 hours before game time.  The students generate enormous energy and then the band, scoreboard, etc. complement that.  Focus on winning and getting the students involved at a much great level and you can build from there.

classof2014

I think students are starting to turn out more and more. Every game during classes the student section has been filled. I really think it's the location of the school that hinders us the most from drawing big crowds. Like I said before most graduates don't stay in Valpo or Northwest Indiana for that matter, and it's not by choice. They go to Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Milwaukee, etc... Very few stay in NWI region.

We really need to market better in the Chicagoland region, mainly the southern suburbs since it's much easier for them to take I-94 or US 30 than somebody from the northside needing to get through the city, which at any time is an absolute nightmare.

Valpo has a great advantage in the Chicagoland region of having the best college basketball program at the moment.

Northwestern - Stinks
Northern Illinois - Stinks
Loyola - Stinks
DePaul - Stinks
UIC - Stinks
Chicago St - .....

Valpo - Successful

Obviously success is key and we have had it in the past and the future is bright. The marketing team needs to market in the NWI region and southern burbs of Chicago and try to get a feeling of ownership around Valpo. Valpo shouldn't just be Valparaiso's team but it should be Northwest Indiana's team and well right now there is a disconnect from the rest of the region.

Valpower

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 17, 2013, 05:38:55 PM
Weighting of factors, in my view, that will draw more fans and interest:
1.  Winning (overall and against prime opponents)  45%
1a.  Electric atmosphere (obviously winning is one of the drivers of this)  45%
2.  Seating:  3%
3.  Concessions: 3%
4.  Other factors covering the remaining 4%

Bottom line:  you really need to energize the students to create the atmosphere and then, with winning, you will get more people to make the trip.

If we're talking about what can be done by a marketing department you can skip 1 and a good portion of 1a (except to the extent that marketing and winning are symbiotically related).  So, for the coaches and players; win. But, for the marketing department; bring them in even when we aren't winning or even if they don't care.  I'm a fan, but if there's nothing for my wife and friends but Valpo basketball, I won't be going as often as I'd like--and I'm not alone.  Valpo basketball is not just competing against other basketball games, but also against dinner out, a trip to the local pub, the latest romantic comedy, a night of chillaxing in front of the TV, and every other thing we can do to entertain ourselves.  Winning may only draw fair-weather fandom or online viewership and not fill the seats consistently.  The marketing department can't afford to (and thankfully, doesn't) think only like a basketball fan.

historyman

Quote from: gamelord on December 17, 2013, 07:49:08 AMMy first post, although kinda controversial...not intended that way. The first thing I notice about the fans at home games is that there are alot of old people at the games. Don't get me wrong...that's a good thing as it shows that we have a very loyal fan base. I just wonder if you guys think it's the marketing departments fault for not recruiting more younger fans? I also wonder if we have one of the oldest fan bases in the nation. I'm sorry if I offend anyone. I'm just curious if anyone else thinks the same.
As a wise gentleman from New Madrid, MO once told me........"it's not our fault."  ::) 

I think Valpo fans in general should be happy that the older fans show up. It would be a lot emptier without them.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

gamelord

What is wrong with the concession stands, except for the periodic long lines? I think they have a descent menu and the prices are really good. You cant be expecting them to have prime rib and a salad bar lol. I think an important issue is that the mezz section is the same price as the lower bleachers. Reduce those tickets or offer the family 4 packs. Im not alumni, never went to college....but go to several games per year. Like others have stated...they need to market outside the campus.

SanityLost17

The problem is that once you are an adult you probably have already picked "your team" and are not likely to change who you spend time/money to go see.  I think the focus needs to be on teenagers.  Old enough to enjoy and moderately understand basketball, but not quite old enough to already have extreme emotional ties to another team.  Work with high school athletic directors, middle, and high school coaches.

I bet if VU sent a fan bus to Triton High School a few times a year to pick up a bus load of paying customers (Yeo fans) that they could turn some of them into VU fans long after he graduates.  obviously lots of other schools closer than Triton, just using it as an example. 

mvandersee

Just to clarify, crusadermoe, are you talking about football games or basketball games? Because the student section has been 90-100% full for all of the basketball home games while school has been in session this season. Also the student attendance is fairly strong for football, it's just harder to track because of the lack of a designated "student section" at Brown Field.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpower on December 17, 2013, 06:43:21 PMValpo basketball is not just competing against other basketball games, but also against dinner out, a trip to the local pub, the latest romantic comedy, a night of chillaxing in front of the TV, and every other thing we can do to entertain ourselves. 
bing bing bing we have a winner

Quote from: gamelord on December 17, 2013, 07:19:48 PMI think they have a descent menu
things are really going downhill

Quote from: historyman on December 17, 2013, 06:51:27 PMAs a wise gentleman from New Madrid, MO once told me........"it's not our fault." 
you crack me up.

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 17, 2013, 07:28:55 PMI think the focus needs to be on teenagers.  Old enough to enjoy and moderately understand basketball, but not quite old enough to already have extreme emotional ties to another team.
That's exactly what did it for me.  That, and the wonderful Werskeys giving us their tix when they went to Florida.  thanks for taking me all those times, dad.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

No worries about eating in my section. There are rarely 12 people up there much less all in the same row, lol. I don't see why they would upgrade the ARC when better things are on the horizon I assume. Drawing 3,000ish from Valpo isn't that bad, tapping into neighboring communities is where the big numbers will come from.  I'm glad it's not my job to do make that happen though.

truth219

A great way to boost attendance....get Purdue to play valpo in the season opener next season. If valpo wins, attendance will be much better. When people see or hear about valpo losing to Evansville, Ohio, and Mercer...the casual basketball fan thinks valpo stinks....its true. Hence, local pub it is.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

VULB#62

From afar, Truth's got a point.  Purdue, ND, Indiana State (?) consistently in the ARC would pull me in if I were living in NW Indiana.  Even Northwestern despite a poor record.  DePaul, UIC, Loyola out of Chicagoland -- no draw.  But Bradley might be.  Point is that if Valpo wants good home attendance, "regional" marquee teams have to be attracted to play in the ARC.  Over the next 3 years this team has the potential to set some records -- start scheduling with that in mind.

And the one off's (i.e., one marquee and 7 nobodies) will not sustain consitantly high attendance.  Gotta replace the NAIA/D-IIIs with better quality opposition.

classof2014

I'm hoping Illinois will make the journey to Valpo next year. Groce has had a history of playing Valpo in the past and perhaps we can spark a regular home at home rivalry with Illinois. Also if we could get Butler once a year that would be great, really spark the rivalry back up.

Valpo hasn't had a true marquee opponent come to the ARC in the OOC since Purdue in 2010-2011 season. I would love to see more games against B1G schools, since any game against a B1G would draw a big crowd (no pun intended) and perhaps spark some interstate rivalries as well.

Valpower

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 17, 2013, 10:08:57 PM
Over the next 3 years this team has the potential to set some records -- start scheduling with that in mind..

I like your thinking.