• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. UIC, Jan. 2nd, 7:05pm CT Game Thread

Started by wh, December 31, 2013, 05:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Ok, so our heroes didn't perform as well OOC as we would have liked.  And yes, we have a lot of unanswered questions. That said, this year's HL conference race is as wide open as it ever has been in our 7-year history.  We have as much talent as anyone in the league, and we can win this thing!  It's time to knock some heads - beginning with UIC!

justducky

Ok, by popular demand my predictions for our starting 5 vs UIC are,

1 the point guard will be Lexus Williams. (Maybe he can right the ship)
2 LaVonte will continue to start even though I would be tempted to start Cater at the 2 and bring the 12-13 HL 6'th man of the year off the bench.
3 Coleman will return to the starting line up because we need at least one forward who is a threat to put the ball on the floor and take it hard to the basket. Now that Alec and Jubril have had their weaknesses exposed we will see much less of them being on the floor together.
4 Bobby will return to the starting position because that was how my coin toss came out and I never argue with my lucky quarter! There may be some logical reason for this other than the quarter but I will leave that kind of detailed thinking to you folks.
5 Vashil reverses roles with Moussa by getting the start. How long it will take him to get his 3'rd foul is an open question but he can probably make it past the 1'st media timeout.

The odds of this being the actual starting 5 could be calculated but it is new years eve and I have better things to do!

LaPorteAveApostle

I agree with you for the most part, Ducky [/Abby Sciuto voice] except that I wouldn't argue with Paul Oren, who said something to the effect of "as long as Alec Peters is at Valpo, he will start for Valpo".
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Since we are at home, I see a win:

Valpo 76
UIC 65
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

72-66 UIC

No one able to contain Barlow and Humes has a good game.  We turn the ball over way too much to predict a win.  It has nothing to do with being "young", it is being poor at basic fundamentals.

I do think Dority will have a great game.  He has been our team MVP so far this year.

VUfan

chef

Quote from: justducky on December 31, 2013, 08:20:53 PMNow that Alec and Jubril have had their weaknesses exposed we will see much less of them being on the floor together.
Haven't seen any weaknesses in Peters's game. Not saying he's perfect, but he's awfully sound in every aspect, especially for a freshman. He'll definitely be in the starting lineup on Thursday, and barring injury for the rest of his Crusader career.

vu72

Quote from: chef on January 01, 2014, 03:47:17 PM
Quote from: justducky on December 31, 2013, 08:20:53 PMNow that Alec and Jubril have had their weaknesses exposed we will see much less of them being on the floor together.
Haven't seen any weaknesses in Peters's game. Not saying he's perfect, but he's awfully sound in every aspect, especially for a freshman. He'll definitely be in the starting lineup on Thursday, and barring injury for the rest of his Crusader career.

I would in general agree with chef on Peters, but, he is only one off the lead in turnovers and more troubling is that turnovers seem to be accelerating as he has 11 in the last two games.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chef

I think 29 assists and 34 turnovers for a front court player is about average. Most guards have a slightly better than 1 to 1 assist to turnover ratio and most front court players have an assist to turnover ratio that is slightly below 1 to 1. Also, keep in mind that's he's played the most minutes on the team, and thus he's near the lead on the team in almost every category....turnovers included.

historyman

Quote from: wh on January 01, 2014, 08:47:13 PMValpo -11

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/odds?odds-sport=ncaab&date=2014-01-02
I think that is a pretty big spread. I think Valpo will miss the spread by 1 or 2 points but pull out the game at the end after getting behind early due to turnovers. After VU cuts the turnovers in a much better second half they will surge ahead for the win. Alec Peters will shoot much better at home than he has in the previous two road games which will also spark the comeback. When Valpo finally learns to control the first half, hold down the turnovers, against a quality conference team they will have a good chance of finishing in the top three and a decent chance at winning the conference tournament. If they don't the Crusaders will finish anywhere from 4th to 7th.

I really don't see VU winning at Oakland unless things change drastically against UIC.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

didn't realize its on espn3.  I prefer our regular guy than the espn commentators. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Down by 8 at half. Another slow start....

I think this is a must win at home.  Saturday we are on the road at Oakland and that's probably a lost.  Don't want to start 0-2 in conference play. 
CRUSADERS!!!

truth219

Coleman takes the dumbest shots!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

truth219

Moussa doesn't deserve to play in the second half

oklahomamick

nullDon't know how this one will end, but this is one of the worst defensive teams I've watched all year (and I've watched a ton of games so far).  Slow to rotate, slow to slide over to help, poor boxing out, etc. etc.  They need a lot of work on defense.[/quote]

Agreed.  A lot of teams shooting high percentages against us.  Higher than their average.  I have faith it will get better though.  Bryce abandoned the zone quick today. 
CRUSADERS!!!

truth219

Coleman turned it around. Moussa might wanna buy some pinesol

valpotx

Good second half turnaround.  Carter found his stroke, and Coleman stopped his 360 shots from the FT line.  Hopefully this is a good sign for Carter during the conference season.  If he can get going, it will open up Peters to take more open shots, as he is having trouble creating his own outside shot the last few games.
"Don't mess with Texas"

govalpogo

When things are clicking with this team, they have no ceiling...there is no guarantee that they get it together though.  Any game has the potential to be a work of art or a complete disaster, one reason I love/hate rooting for a mid-major.  Good first step tonight, can't win them all at once.  Tough game in Oakland coming up!

ARCInsider

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: govalpogo on January 02, 2014, 09:08:06 PMAny game has the potential to be a work of art or a complete disaster, one reason I love/hate rooting for a mid-major.
VUFZ Sentence Hall Of Fame, Class of 2014

Smj

So what is it about our first half?    What is creating so much trouble for us in the first half this year? 

(We had a spectacular second half.    Play like that for a complete game and we would be able to surprise a few big programs.)