• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Detroit, 1/15/14 6PM CST tip

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, January 14, 2014, 12:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hailcrusaders

2-2 at the under 16? This is not the Detroit team of years past...
#CrusadersForever

SanityLost17

We have given up 9 three point attempts and 8 of them have been WIDE OPEN. Our zone rotates spook slowly. 

oklahomamick

Peters is not the same player we saw at the beginning of the year.  These are his 1st half stats. 

0 Points   0-4 field goals    1 reb      1 ast     2 turnovers   1 personal foul

Peters also played more minutes than anyone else.
CRUSADERS!!!

mvandersee

Well if this Coleman injury is anything long-term then Peters has to start scoring, because he'll get the bulk of the minutes at the 3 while still playing some at the 4 I would guess.

Smj

so. .. What is the injury for Coleman?

mvandersee

Quote from: Smj on January 15, 2014, 07:47:07 PM
so. .. What is the injury for Coleman?

Both Paul Oren and the official basketball account both tweeted saying he was out due to injury, no specifics given.

Chairback

Announcer "capabianco with the baby dunk"

ProudValpoAlum705

Please hang on to this one guys...

"Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious are known through out the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, our team, see our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold! "
Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, Our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious Are known throughout the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, our team, See our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold!

oklahomamick

Great dunk by Lexus.  Posterized the Detroit defender.
CRUSADERS!!!

Smj

ProudValpoAlum705

ROAD WIN!

"Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious are known through out the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, our team, see our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold! "
Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, Our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious Are known throughout the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, our team, See our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold!

truth219

Lexus is the real deal

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

mvandersee

Good conference road win, if we can shoot like that from the line every game we will be looking at some better results (36-44, 81.8%)

valpotx

I only have to say that it was good to get a road win, regardless of how ugly the overall game was for both teams.  Let's get another W this weekend!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

I think we beat a last place Detroit team.  Ex-Howard they are really bad.  We played very bad the first half and with Carter riding the pines, Coleman out and Peters invisible, somehow won. Credit a solid performance by Adekoya as well as our bigs, plus outstanding free throw shooting and much better patience.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Any road win is a good road win!  Even better considering 0 points from Coleman, Carter and Peters.

Nice to see Lexus play well and show he deserves to be starting and playing big minutes.  Why he lost his starting spot before Carter had ever played a minute at Valpo is beyond me, but maybe Bryce felt he needed to keep certain people happy.  Mature move by Lexus to stay engaged and help the team get back on track.  :clap:

mvandersee

Quote from: Smj on January 15, 2014, 07:47:07 PMso. .. What is the injury for Coleman?

Now they're saying minor concussion, questionable for UWM on Saturday

justducky

I am beginning to cringe every time I see us in the zone! Not only do we not move fast enough to cover everybody on the outside but one or two guys are always missed on the box outs often leading to offensive put backs. At the same time our man defense is looking better and better.

Quote from: vu72 on January 15, 2014, 08:36:44 PMCredit a solid performance by Adekoya as well as our bigs, plus outstanding free throw shooting and much better patience.
I thought that Coleman being out would translate into a death sentence. We should not be able to frequently win HL games going most of the way with Jubril and Alec at the 3 (neither are as yet good enough confident ball handlers). Both of those kids need to drive to the basket when they have the opening in order to open things up. Peters in particular has lost all confidence with his dribble and it hasn't helped him that in his last three games several charges have been called against him that looked to have been blocking fouls.

Nice contribution from Clay, and finally a couple of clean wide open backdoor cuts that should be open for us far more often than we have been using it.

classof2014

Overall this was a good game for us (duh, we won). I thought we'd have some difficulty with Coleman out being able to score since he's been coming on as of late. If it weren't for JuWan Howard having a career game we win by 15 or 20 points.

First 10 minutes of the game was similar to the Wright State game, turnovers left and right. Had about 10, 10 minutes in and only finished with 19, so 9 over the course of 30 minutes. I really think being able to close a game out like we did will really boost our confidence in games when it's tight late. A couple of clutch 3's by Lexus and LVD really doused the hopes of a comeback for Detroit.

As of this moment in the season Lexus has been the best freshman. Made 2 big 3's late in both halves and how bout that dunk with 30 seconds left! It was nice to see the energy that he brought to the court and he has been by far the biggest surprise of the season since nobody expected him to do much and very few talked about him. He's definitely making an argument for FoY honors. I said early in the season he reminds me a bit of Keifer Sykes, and it was nice to see him put together a full 40.

I also thought LVD played well tonight, had 21 and was good from the charity stripe as was the rest of the team. I also thought Vashil played well and is showing why he should be in there over Moussa and is improving every game, he also made some big FTs early in the 2nd half!

I also thought Jubril Adekoya (apparently pronounce Adgekoyoo) played well. Had 11 and 9 and made a few nice moves around the hoop.

Anyways, Peters, he has not looked good. He isn't confident in what he does, hopefully he can break out of this funk at perhaps a nice win like this can do it. We know he has star potential when he plays with confidence (ie Evansville & Loyola). Hopefully against Milwaukee he can put together a better stat-line than his past few performances.

Good win for 'em. 2nd road win, nice to close a game out like we did. Hopefully we can carry the momentum into Saturday as we take on the Panthers (unfortunately I cannot be nor watch the game due to a wedding but I will be there in spirit). Like I said, any road win is a good road win, especially after that dismal performance against WSU and with Jordan out as well.

LaPorteAveApostle

Any road win's a good win, and we can't look down our noses at anything these days.

Sticking this here:  Bryce mentioned on the front page of CBSsports, but not for tonight
QuoteThis winning shot will look familiar to anyone who knows the name Bryce Drew.
and the link takes you to
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24410493/video-toledo-moves-to-142-after-buzzerbeater-over-buffalo

not as impressive as ours, but hey, nice for pulling it off.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

also, bryce h. drew:  still never lost in detroit!!!

well

except when he was playing for the bulls.

HEYO
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

nice road win.  We very easy could be 3-1 in the conference. 

Did anyone notice how empty the stands were?  What was the attendance? 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Cleo came up with a big 3 in the 2nd half.  I wouldn't have predicted him playing more minutes than Carter tonight.
CRUSADERS!!!

HC

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 15, 2014, 10:18:15 PMCleo came up with a big 3 in the 2nd half.  I wouldn't have predicted him playing more minutes than Carter tonight.
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 15, 2014, 07:25:07 PMPeters is not the same player we saw at the beginning of the year.  These are his 1st half stats. 0 Points   0-4 field goals    1 reb      1 ast     2 turnovers   1 personal foul Peters also played more minutes than anyone else.
The nothing Valpo is getting from both Carter and Peters is deafening. I truly thought Carter's break in time would be a lot less if he ever emerges at all. For a guy getting the most minutes Peters' nothing really hurts. I'm not really sure why Carter's playing time is being cut but Peters' playing time isn't being cut. What promises did Bryce make to Alec?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann