• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Cleveland State, Sat 1/25, 2 PM ET tip

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, January 23, 2014, 08:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, I'm going to start this one, because good things happened the only other time I started a game thread.

Anton Grady did not play vs. WSU, but did this week at UIC.  Only logged 16 minutes because of fouling out, but their backup forward-type went off.

74 team points, 64 from 4 players and 10 from all else.  http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400506635

Why does it seem we're the only balanced team in the conference?

Who'd have thought my 6-2 January would still be on the table at this point?

Does asking a lot of questions help promote conversation on posts?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 23, 2014, 08:50:09 PM
Well, I'm going to start this one, because good things happened the only other time I started a game thread.

Well if we lose, I'm blaming you. I started the last one and we won @ YSU for the first time ever.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 23, 2014, 08:50:09 PMWell, I'm going to start this one, because good things happened the only other time I started a game thread. Anton Grady did not play vs. WSU, but did this week at UIC.  Only logged 16 minutes because of fouling out, but their backup forward-type went off. 74 team points, 64 from 4 players and 10 from all else.  http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400506635 Why does it seem we're the only balanced team in the conference? Who'd have thought my 6-2 January would still be on the table at this point? Does asking a lot of questions help promote conversation on posts?
I don't know, does it?
Does doing just enough to win justify a 5-3 or 6-2 January?
If you had started all the game threads would it have made a difference in Valpo's January record?
Will Anton Grady make a big enough difference when he plays to push Cleveland State over Valpo?
Is it better to have balanced scoring or have over 80% of your scoring come from 4 players?
Did I ask more questions than you and does that stifle conversation on posts?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

One year ago, after losing to YSU by 12, our RPI fell to 92, and we were MidMajor #10.

Looking for any milestones that might be on the ... horizon...   not much.

VU Lifetime Total Points:  152,978
Vu Opponents Lifetime:    150,917
Total Lifetime Games Played:  2,413... 1,255 Wins and 1,125 Losses

We are now 67-45 in the HL regular season

We are now 10-9 on the road in regular season Ohio Games. (We have never won or lost all three in one HL season)

Bryce picked up win #60   (with 29 losses)

The game at Cleveland on Saturday will be the 22nd game of the year....
#22 2012-13:  we lost at YSU, 80-68 to have our record fall to 16-6
#22 2011-12:  we lost at GB, 75-60 to have our record fall to 14-8
#22 2010-11:  we Beat BUTLER 85-79 (OT) to have our record improve to 16-6
#22 2009-10:  we lost at Milw 85-82 to fall to 10-12
#22 2008-09:  we lost at Butler 59-51 to fall to 6-16
#22 2007-08:  we lost to Butler 71-68 to fall to 14-8

You have to go back to 2002-03 when we beat Chicago State 81-70 for the last time we won #22 on the road.... we are 14-13 over the past 27 years in the 22nd game of the year.

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on January 23, 2014, 09:45:15 PMVu Opponents Lifetime:    150,917
Was Valpo supposed to have a moment of silence at the ARC when one of our opponents scored the 150,000 point against us?  ::)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

Valpo wins by 7 if the refs call it by the new rules, Valpo losses by 7 if the refs let CSU play the way they want.

a3uge

Quote from: HC on January 23, 2014, 10:37:47 PM
Valpo wins by 7 if the refs call it by the new rules, Valpo losses by 7 if the refs let CSU play the way they want.

If they do a mixture of both... OH MAN EXCITEMENT

valpotx

Another tough one to pick.  I'd love to say we keep the momentum going, but I think the refs will let CSU play their grab defense in this one:

CSU 75
Valpo 65
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on January 23, 2014, 09:43:12 PMI don't know, does it?
Does doing just enough to win justify a 5-3 or 6-2 January?
If you had started all the game threads would it have made a difference in Valpo's January record?
Will Anton Grady make a big enough difference when he plays to push Cleveland State over Valpo?
Is it better to have balanced scoring or have over 80% of your scoring come from 4 players?
Did I ask more questions than you and does that stifle conversation on posts?
Yes, yes, no, no, the former, yes
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

Honestly don't know what to expect. I would imagine Bryce has them prepared for a very physical game and it won't be easy. I however do think we will pull out a win.

Dority leads the way with 22 points

Us 72
Them 66

vu72

The two top 3 point % teams going at it in this one.  CSU made 10 of 15 to beat UIC by 10.  Interesting that Barlow came off the bench and only scored but played 28 minutes.  Perhaps he was hurt and wasn't at full strength.  We will  out rebound them (shocking prediction I know!) so if we can slow down Forbes we probably can win this one.  Wouldn't hurt if Mr. Peters could make a few 3's (Alec, not his dad)!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Quote from: classof2014 on January 24, 2014, 03:46:34 PMHonestly don't know what to expect. I would imagine Bryce has them prepared for a very physical game and it won't be easy. I however do think we will pull out a win.

Just once, I'd like to see us go into that place and come out of their WITHOUT A MAJOR INJURY. >:(

wh

Injuries will depend on how much tripping, kneeing and body checking they get away with. Of course they also injure themselves along the way (same for WSU) for whatever that's worth.  It's all on the coach. A chicken shxt way of coaching - abusing players on both sides in an effort to make up for an inability to compete playing straight up.

talksalot

Quote from: historyman on January 23, 2014, 10:00:56 PMVu Opponents Lifetime:    150,917

Was Valpo supposed to have a moment of silence at the ARC when one of our opponents scored the 150,000 point against us?  ::)

It was the 48th point scored by Mercer...I don't have the running box score... 

talksalot

I gather there are quite a few Valpo fans heading to Wolstein for the game... weather channel:  Windy. Snow during the morning will give way to snow showers during the afternoon. High 21F. Winds WSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snow accumulating 2 to 4 inches.    So if the Viking fans are looking for an excuse not to go out, that may be it... they drew 1700 against Oakland and 2000 against Wright State.  Tickets are still available, that place seats over 13,000.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on January 24, 2014, 08:58:50 PM
Quote from: historyman on January 23, 2014, 10:00:56 PMVu Opponents Lifetime:    150,917

It was the 48th point scored by Mercer...I don't have the running box score... 
DID SOMEBODY PAGE ME???

Second half:
13:12   Daniel Coursey made Jumper. Assisted by Langston Hall.   49-56

(how did we lose a 12 point halftime lead at home, again? ARRGH)

wh

Point spread is Valpo +7.  Sounds a little high, given our 2 recent road wins and 3-game winning streak.  Plus, CSU's 4 conference wins are against teams with a combined 7-19 conf. record.  In their favor, they have more experienced players (does anyone have less) and are playing in the friendly confines of their empty barn.  That, and our young guys are going to have to handle their physical (borderline dirty) defensive pressure better than they did WSU's.

Update: The line has moved to Valpo +5.5.  Sounds more reasonable.

CSU Fan

Safe travels and welcome for you folks coming from Valpo. A good choice for lunch or a get-together before the game is B2B (Burgers 2 Beer) at 1938 Euclid Ave, about a block from the Wolstein Center. They have a great back room with big-screen tvs, and very good food and beer selection. They're developing a good relationship with our fans and Athletic Department, so it might be worth a word with their manager about a deal if a group of you show up. Either way let's hope for a good game. I was really glad when you joined the league and watching your team last year was a pleasure. The intelligence they showed was fantastic; like the Butler teams that used to play here. But I owe you one. Before your first visit here I told everyone in my section how cool Homer Drew was - from watching him on tv I noticed he was always laughing and relaxed, a great contrast to the usual screamers. So of course his first game here he gets two Ts and ejected. In his  postgame press conference he was laughing again and said it was the first time in his career he got run. Looks like he left a great legacy in more than one way.

Smj

Is everyone healthy for this game?   Here is a game where I would like to see the refs call it tight.    However sometimes when they call fouls on CSU in the first half they feel like they need to even out the fouls in the second.

Want to share that today is going to be awesome - 1pm Valpo (internet: D1), 3pm UW Parkside (live home game: D2), and 7pm Carthage College (live home game: D3).   Wish the order was building up instead of down but it will be a great day of bball.   One more note - today Carthage is playing Illinois Wesleyan which is the team Rossi was going to play at so I was really looking forward to it - too bad no Rossi.  (Only true basketball fans would understand)

valpo84

As of now (and about the time we're leaving for the alumni reception, game is still on per CsU. We've had some good snow today. My son in Cleveland said about 6" overnight. http://csuvikings.com/sports/m-baskbl/2013-14/releases/20140125zexpa4
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo84

Based on the inconsistent reffing we've seen so far and the mysteries that await at the Wolstein Center, here's a good article on how people have been seeing this issue and impact for March

http://tablet.sportingnews.com/2014-01-25/sn-grading-new-rules.html
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

talksalot

Yeh, Well... since January 1 there has been a huge increase in the offensive foul call vs. the block compared to what it was like in November.  It's almost as if they are making up for lost time!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: CSU Fan on January 25, 2014, 08:10:25 AMLooks like he left a great legacy in more than one way.
amen and thanks for a great post.

wh

This article confirms what most of us suspected that officials have backed off calling all the illegal defensive contact.  I have especially noticed the difference on the perimeter. In the WSU game their defenders pushed and body blocked our players while fighting their way through perimeter picks.  It's all about disrupting offensive flow and wearing the opponent down physically. Add to that the intentional tripping by their guards when they were beaten off the dribble (only 2 of which were called) and it becomes the source of a lot of frustration with officiating.