• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Green Bay 2/20/14 Thursday 7:00 p.m. CT game thread

Started by historyman, February 17, 2014, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on February 19, 2014, 10:44:13 PMFor some reason your post got me to thinking about bbtds. I wonder what ever happened to him?
still around but not posting.  happens every now and again.  I think he gets busy with stuff.

bbtds, we miss you and hope you are well.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: bombkicker on February 20, 2014, 09:53:11 AM
long time reader, first time poster. Vegas has the line as green bay 9.5 favs, I was shocked. Does the big man in the middle for them make that much of a difference?

Seems like a lot of points considering that GB has not covered the spread in any of their last 4 home games and lost to Milwaukee outright in their last home game 12 days ago:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/wisconsin-green-bay/schedule

oklahomamick

When does HL provide a replay of the game?  I will not be able to watch it live. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on February 20, 2014, 01:00:36 PM
long time reader, first time poster. Vegas has the line as green bay 9.5 favs, I was shocked. Does the big man in the middle for them make that much of a difference?

Seems like a lot of points considering that GB has not covered the spread in any of their last 4 home games and lost to Milwaukee outright in their last home game 12 days ago:

From the stat sheet on the UWM game it looks like despite playing 31 minutes Brown didn't really show up.  All Sykes.  UWM taking it to GB on the road in their house bodes well for our lads.

classof2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 20, 2014, 01:03:36 PM
When does HL provide a replay of the game?  I will not be able to watch it live. 

It'll probably be available by tomorrow morning.

Pathfinder

Don't be too hard on Green Bay fans for not posting on their board - they do lead the league in average attendance and drew over 6000 for Cleveland State.

Kyle321n

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 20, 2014, 01:24:53 PM
Quote from: wh on February 20, 2014, 01:00:36 PM

From the stat sheet on the UWM game it looks like despite playing 31 minutes Brown didn't really show up.  All Sykes.  UWM taking it to GB on the road in their house bodes well for our lads.

Bovada has the line set at UWGB -9.  I put $3 on it because I'm a big time spender :P
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

SanityLost17

I think it is safe to say that we are underdogs in 3 of our next 4 games.  Looks like we have the toughest remaining schedule in the HL.  How we do in these 4 games will say a lot about how good we actually are.   

DY219

So far I'm concerned. Everyone looks awful.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

classof2014

Somehow we have the lead after only having 2 points through the first 8 or so minutes.

I think my ears are bleeding, I can't stand the GB play-by-play guy. Every bucket they get he screams like they just won the game. Driving me insane.

vu72

A great game so far, we have a lot of upside in this one. Hope the coaching staff can get the kids under control.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

I like the defensive look but taking the ball towards Brown has not been very productive. I think we will have to get hot from the outside in order to pull this off.

atkins

An observation....As much as I like Dority as an offensive player, he can be a bit of a defensive liability when guys drive on him. I've noticed all season that he is often screened out around the lane and doesn't appear to recover from screens very well.  Time and time again, guys get by him in the lane, causing him to chase them as they go to the hoop. 

valpotx

I don't ever complain about refs, but this has been terribly one-sided in regards to calls.  They get minimal contact fouls, and we have to get hammered to get a call?  Complete BS game, didn't even give us a chance.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Ridiculous.

And the worst part is that this is where the conference tournament will have to be played.

Atrocious Wisconsin refs.

yes it's a thing.
http://btn.com/2014/01/05/tempers-flare-in-madison-mccaffery-ejected-from-game/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Also, why even attempt to put in more fouls on the offense, if you NEVER call it when GB's players push off/extend the arm just about each time down the floor? 

The GB announcer is almost as annoying as the YSU announcer.  I like UWM's announcers the most out of our competitors.
"Don't mess with Texas"

govalpogo

Looks like the HL has told its refs to ensure that GB gets a shot at that at large bid should they fail in the tourney...;)  I'm obviously disappointed with the result of the game but never really expected the win.  Gotta find a way to be 11-5 or 10-6 at the end of it all.

HC

21 free throws to 5....that's all I will say regarding this game. Valpo had no chance, someone from the HL office should've warned Kyle or give him back his $3.

Hoping for the 2 seed and a rematch in a few weeks.

LaPorteAveApostle

classof2014

Difference in the game was FTs as many have mentioned. 21 to 5 is ridiculous. How much did Wardle pay these guys off? Everytime we drove into the lane we were being assaulted and nothing was being called. Dority should've had 10 or so FTs and Coleman was 6 or so compared to what. There's at least 12 more points. I didn't think we played poorly but can't have 3 long scoreless stretches. All well, we'll take 'em down come tourney time.

SanityLost17

Agree about the refs.  with about 4 minutes to go I believe the announcer said that Valpo had 5 free throw attemps to GB's 16.  I thought both teams were about equally aggressive at driving the lane, which leads me to believe free throw attemps should have been more even.  All fouls called against us were absolutely correct, and I do think Vashil and Moussa both got away with a few.  However, GB got away with a lot.   

Also, not the refs fault, but Fouse and Brown are just plain better at setting illegal screens than Vashil and Moussa.  When we extend the hip out at the last second it is obvious, when they do it just looks much more natural.  Proving again that all good screens are actually illegal ones, and it is an art. 

That said, I do not think the refs were any worse than your typical road game.  We usually get the calls when we play at home.  Just the way it goes.   

valpotx

So when the GB player tripped over his own feet at the 3 pt line, that was correct?  That one was pitiful...

I do agree that our bigs really should have learned to set better screens by now.  Moussa and Vashil get so excited to slide off of the screen to potentially get an easy basket like KVW used to, that they leave the dribbler out to dry.
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Ridiculous.  I think GB probably wins this game with neutral refs but in this game refs eliminated any doubt.  Can you say home cooking?  We go to the rim and get hammered - no call.  They go to the rim and someone breathes on them - foul.  Totally changes our offense.  As I said ridiculous.  HL should be ashamed.

justducky

Vashil, Jubril and Moussa just about held their own in their time on the floor but everyone else was outplayed. We got nothing but turnovers and blocks when our guards took it inside and we got almost no open looks from 3 from anybody. Looked like we could have gotten some decent 12' to 16' open jumpers but that didn't seem to be in the game plan. If we play them again I would expect to see some major adjustments but we have a lot of basketball to play before that happens.

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on February 20, 2014, 08:40:15 PM
I don't ever complain about refs, but this has been terribly one-sided in regards to calls.  They get minimal contact fouls, and we have to get hammered to get a call?  Complete BS game, didn't even give us a chance.

I am normally the same way but this is a complete anomaly.  If we had played a passive game just bombing away from outside then just 7 free throws... I could understand, but we drove into the lane repeatedly and rarely got a call.  25 FTA to  7 is just horrible.  For the season we are averaging around 25 attempts per game... not a chance we only legitimately only should be shooting 7.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show