• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2018

Started by covufan, August 07, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on January 28, 2018, 06:17:08 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on January 28, 2018, 06:09:17 PM
Quote from: wh on January 28, 2018, 05:40:34 PM
Great find! Just who we need to complement Javon in the backcourt. Here's to hoping Daniel will be our answer at the point for the next 4 years. Go Crusaders!

I agree.  On a side note, it's amazing how much talent is coming out of Canada these days ... 20 years ago, it was rare to see Canadians playing at DI schools.

How many Toronto Raptors are Canadians?

Zero. England, RO the Congo, Brazil, Austria, and the rest USA (including a former UWGB Phoenix athlete and Holy Cross athlete).

VUGrad1314

I wonder what kind of lineups this opens up. Certainly points to seeing Evelyn off the ball more. Think we'll be going small more often?

VUGrad1314

Also this could potentially light a fire under Bradford and get him to improve his play. If he doesn't he'll probably see his role drastically reduced and many of his minutes going to Sackey next year

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 28, 2018, 06:07:17 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 28, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
Now after Daniel Sackey's commitment we have 1 more scholarship available for next season (barring any transfers...). What do you think would be the best use of that scholarship? High level Redshirt transfer? Grad-transfer? Another Freshman? Role it into next season in hopes of landing a midseason transfer?

Before Joe Burton left school he said whoever gets the final scholarship will need to be a "home run". Sackey may have been the home run he was referring to. He looks like he has a bright future. I wonder what we'll do with that last scholarship.

Roster breakdown for 2018-19:

PG: Evelyn, Sackey, Bradford, Helm (WO but he's going to be serving his Mormon Mission next season)
SG: Freeman-Liberty, Golder (can both the 2-3)
SF: Fazekas, Kiser
PF: McMillan, Hazen
C: Smits, Sorolla, Linssen (I'm hoping Marty can eventually play with 1 of the 7 footers)

Current Outstanding Offers by Position:
2019:
SG: Brandon Newman, Alex Hemenway, Quincy Guerrier

We need a 6'5" or 6'6" utility player than can play 2-3-4 slots.  Ideally no more grad transfers or P5 cast offs.  At some point we need players to develop in our system for at least 3-years for continuity, right?

Continuity is a primary downfall of this years team.  And it's exacerbated by Juco (Golder), P5 transfer (Bakari), P5 sitting out (Fazekas), P5 leaving our program (Burton) and now Helm transferring into our program.

That's (5) bodies with limited continuity.  I know this years team was a perfect storm of NEW (5 aforementioned + 3 freshmen + MVC year 1).  Yowza, it's a wonder that we ever expected Top 5 finish in this league with all that going on.  AND I EVEN FORGOT 2nd year HC Lottich.

In a program that's had a Drew at the helm since the 1980's man this year had the recipe for turbulence.

That being said, show progression to finish out this year.  And get a SF/SG that's long, 6'5" to 6'7" on next years roster in an ideal world.

Really?  Other than the kid who transferred in from Rice, who had serious medical issues, give me some names that haven't worked out?  Obviously Joe didn't but that was academic issues not talent.  He is the only one who failed academically.  Seriously, we could go all the way back to Casey Schmidt and David Redmon but how about Cory Johnson or Brandon Wood or Ron Howard or Bobby Capobianco, or Ben Boggs, or Will Bogan or...well, you get the point!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 28, 2018, 06:31:10 PM
Also this could potentially light a fire under Bradford and get him to improve his play. If he doesn't he'll probably see his role drastically reduced and many of his minutes going to Sackey next year

This is great news indeed.  Not only great speed and talent but he seems to be a vocal leader from the interviews posted.  Coach has mentioned several times that as a group this team is pretty quiet personality wise.  We sure needed a dose of excitment!  Great News indeed!!!   :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbR2xJVm5BY
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Daniel Sackey did a interview right after his commitment. Sounds like he may be the vocal floor general we've been missing on the court this season. Interview begins at the 1:07:57 mark.

https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/957778866378067968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=832&v=njgc31OL74g

valpotx

Wow, I didn't think that we would end up with him.  Good to see that our terrible season is not affecting our ability to get quality recruits.  Let's just hope that they live up to the hype!

Also, when did EddieCabot decide to become a more serious poster?  It used to be that 99% of his posts were just to make fun of us, but he makes a lot more serious posts nowadays.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

All right, here is my attempt to contribute optimism to the board. Am I the only one hoping to be pleasantly surprised whenever Helm gets onto the court and thinking he is the best kept secret in Valpo basketball? At Carroll College he shot 47% from the 3-point line and 94% from the free throw line. He led Valparaiso High School to a 20-7 record as MVP his senior year with a 16 ppg average and 3.5 assists. He was an area all-star and Hoosier Top-60 player. He also was a champion 400-meter track star in high school for which he was recruited by colleges. He is a national honor student, Eagle Scout, mature, and devout Mormon. He is 6'2" and his father is a college basketball coach, while his mom, a former volleyball player at Brigham Young and college head volleyball coach, is a professor of Exercise Science at Valpo. As a walk-on, he doesn't take away a scholarship spot, so any contribution by him would be a bonus. He will bring in local followers who know him from the high school. He sounds like he was created by Hollywood central casting and too good to be true, but he could be the finest walk-on Valpo has had. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on January 28, 2018, 06:33:27 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 28, 2018, 06:07:17 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 28, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
Now after Daniel Sackey's commitment we have 1 more scholarship available for next season (barring any transfers...). What do you think would be the best use of that scholarship? High level Redshirt transfer? Grad-transfer? Another Freshman? Role it into next season in hopes of landing a midseason transfer?

Before Joe Burton left school he said whoever gets the final scholarship will need to be a "home run". Sackey may have been the home run he was referring to. He looks like he has a bright future. I wonder what we'll do with that last scholarship.

Roster breakdown for 2018-19:

PG: Evelyn, Sackey, Bradford, Helm (WO but he's going to be serving his Mormon Mission next season)
SG: Freeman-Liberty, Golder (can both the 2-3)
SF: Fazekas, Kiser
PF: McMillan, Hazen
C: Smits, Sorolla, Linssen (I'm hoping Marty can eventually play with 1 of the 7 footers)

Current Outstanding Offers by Position:
2019:
SG: Brandon Newman, Alex Hemenway, Quincy Guerrier

We need a 6'5" or 6'6" utility player than can play 2-3-4 slots.  Ideally no more grad transfers or P5 cast offs.  At some point we need players to develop in our system for at least 3-years for continuity, right?

Continuity is a primary downfall of this years team.  And it's exacerbated by Juco (Golder), P5 transfer (Bakari), P5 sitting out (Fazekas), P5 leaving our program (Burton) and now Helm transferring into our program.

That's (5) bodies with limited continuity.  I know this years team was a perfect storm of NEW (5 aforementioned + 3 freshmen + MVC year 1).  Yowza, it's a wonder that we ever expected Top 5 finish in this league with all that going on.  AND I EVEN FORGOT 2nd year HC Lottich.

In a program that's had a Drew at the helm since the 1980's man this year had the recipe for turbulence.

That being said, show progression to finish out this year.  And get a SF/SG that's long, 6'5" to 6'7" on next years roster in an ideal world.

Really?  Other than the kid who transferred in from Rice, who had serious medical issues, give me some names that haven't worked out?  Obviously Joe didn't but that was academic issues not talent.  He is the only one who failed academically.  Seriously, we could go all the way back to Casey Schmidt and David Redmon but how about Cory Johnson or Brandon Wood or Ron Howard or Bobby Capobianco, or Ben Boggs, or Will Bogan or...well, you get the point!  ;)

Read my comments about continuity.  I'm referencing players that only get a couple years in the program or less.  We could benefit from some on-Court familiarity with recruits that are Valpo from the ground up.

Our P5 recruits have been very solid for us, agreed.  But 1/2 the team being transfers COULD become problematic.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on January 28, 2018, 06:54:54 PM
Daniel Sackey did a interview right after his commitment. Sounds like he may be the vocal floor general we've been missing on the court this season. Interview begins at the 1:07:57 mark.

Great find, 2014!  Very impressive young man!

M

Helms Mom is a professor at the university? Tuition remission to the rescue and saves a scholarship. Need more university employees to have (or adopt) athletic children!

bbtds

Something that I was reminded of that I learned during a visit to Winnipeg on business is that the inclusion of Manitoba as a Canadian province in 1870 turned Canada from an evenly divided nation between Francophones and Anglophones into an English dominated country. Since the time New France (Quebec) was established by the government of European France it was a majority French speaking country. When Britain took over New France and Ontario after the defeat of the French in the Seven Years War Britain ruled over a majority French speaking country. It became Canada in 1867. When Manitoba was admitted in 1870 suddenly Canada was majority English speakers and the government in Ottawa changed significantly. Just a little info for you north of the border followers.

nkvu

Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2018, 12:27:26 AM
Something that I was reminded of that I learned during a visit to Winnipeg on business is that the inclusion of Manitoba as a Canadian province in 1881 turned Canada from an evenly divided nation between Francophones and Anglophones into an English dominated country. Since the time New France (Quebec) was established by the government of European France it was a majority French speaking country. When Britain took over New France and Ontario after the defeat of the French in the Seven Years War Britain ruled over a majority French speaking country. It became Canada in 1867. When Manitoba was admitted in 1881 suddenly Canada was majority English speakers and the government in Ottawa changed significantly. Just a little info for you north of the border followers.

Thanks for the history lesson, eh?  It's nice to hear from someone who knows what he's talking aboot, eh?  Personally, I would really like a doughnut  right now don't ya know.

valpotx

Helm would have a hard time in supplanting Dwayne Toatley as the best walk-on in Valpo history.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on January 29, 2018, 02:14:34 AM
Helm would have a hard time in supplanting Dwayne Toatley as the best walk-on in Valpo history.

Yes, you are correct. I looked back at a list of all the walk-ons since Valpo turned D-1, and Toatley would be the benchmark. Nobody else comes close. I enjoyed Toatley's important contributions to a very good Valpo team as a junior and senior. Toatley was a starter his senior year in every game, and he raised his average to 9 points and 4 rebounds. However, Toatley was a scholarship player his senior year, and in my eyes Helm would not have to fully match Toatley's stats to be highly regarded, since Helm would most likely remain a true walk-on. Plus, he would not be a starter and he would be achieving his accomplishments in the Missouri Valley rather than the Mid-Continent. Still, as you say, Toatley is the high standard for all Valpo walk-on players.

vu72

Quote from: wh on January 28, 2018, 08:40:05 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 28, 2018, 06:54:54 PM

Great find, 2014!  Very impressive young man!

In doing a little background on Daniel I found that he has had a circuitous path to Valpo having played for 22ft Academy in South Carolina as well as St. Louis Christian.  In an interview from March 8, 2017 he said that he had offers from Winthrop, Kent State, Evansville and Stoney Brooke with interest from Texas, Butler and Utah.  He was a member of the Canadian National U17 team.

Clearly one advantage that Valpo possesses over similar programs is the fact that it is a Christian school and that Matt is a Christian coach.  Same went for Homer and Bryce.  Daniel is quick to thank God in his interviews and this may have been one of the key factors in his decision.

FieldGoodie05

Anyone else wondering what he is talking about when he mentions the situation @ his prep school and just being happy he's eligible?

Academic?

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 29, 2018, 08:30:54 PM
Anyone else wondering what he is talking about when he mentions the situation @ his prep school and just being happy he's eligible?

Academic?

His prep school last year was pretty shady. I believe it got shut down for scamming kids and their families. I bet they were worried about eligibility because I think it got shut down. You never know about the NCAA. Luckily he's eligible and it sounds like there was no problems.

A very interesting read:
- https://deadspin.com/how-a-bootleg-prep-school-profited-by-ripping-off-teens-1820603652
- http://www.independentmail.com/story/news/local/2017/06/09/founder-basketball-academy-may-look-elsewhere-housing/383112001/
- http://www.independentmail.com/story/news/local/2017/12/06/founder-basketball-academy-based-anderson-faces-federal-charges/926822001/

VU2014

A great article on Daniel Sackey with some quotes in here. It sounds like Coach Gore was the primary recruiter who discovered Daniel.

He references minutes at PG as a big factor in his decision. Micah better step up his game or else he's going to get buried on the bench because Bakari clearly is going to get big minutes next season. Competition sometimes brings out the best out of people and exposes others.

Also nice to hear that Sackey has the potential to be a vocal leader on the court. Something that is badly being missed this season. He sounds like a workhouse with a strong work ethic.

https://twitter.com/Elias_NPH/status/958316363403051008

Valpo Commit Daniel Sackey Chimes In On College Decision
Elias Sbiet
January 29th, 2018

http://northpolehoops.com/2018/01/29/valpo-commit-daniel-sackey-chimes-college-decision/

VU2014

Pipe dream scenario (emphasizing the pipe dream), what if Daniel Sackey's friend and former teammate SF Emmanuel Akot decided to transfer to Valpo. Akot is a Winnipeg native who is a current freshman at Arizona but is having a tough freshman season with some DNPs. I've seen some speculation that he may might transfer away from Arizona. He's a 4-5 star recruit. He was Top 3 recruit from Canada in his class. Daniel Sackey is apparently good friends with him. Like I said totally pipe dream and I'm just totally throwing the idea out there. Valpo had 1 great Arizona transfer in Casey Schimdt back in the day. If he ever decided to transfer it would be interesting to see if Valpo would try and reach out and take a moonshot to see if he's interested.

https://twitter.com/CatCountry1580/status/950466785211396096

VUGrad1314

Now THAT would certainly qualify as a home run

VU2014

I was listening to USH and they brought up the commitment of Sackey. Paul and Parker also touched on what they think they'll do with the last scholarship. I'm very curious if anyone might transfer off the team and open up an additional scholarship. Paul said, "You can at least expect 1 scholar open from the Joe Burton scholarship available" and he hit on how transfers happen every year... makes you wonder. He also talked about a possibly a 5th year grad transfer.

Listen at 41:20 for this part: http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-baptized-in-the-valley/audio_9e82a838-060e-11e8-a741-77922083a2ce.html

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on January 31, 2018, 11:34:07 AM
I was listen to USH and they brought up the commitment of Sackey. Paul and Parker also touched on what they think they'll do with the last scholarship. I'm very curious if anyone might transfer off the team and open up an additional scholarship. Paul said, "You can at least expect 1 scholar open from the Joe Burton scholarship available" and he hit on how transfers happen every year... makes you wonder. He also talked about a possibly a 5th year grad transfer.

Listen at 41:20 for this part: http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-baptized-in-the-valley/audio_9e82a838-060e-11e8-a741-77922083a2ce.html

Getting an effective 5th year grad transfer on a team that is below 0.500 in a mid major conference SEEMS like a pipe dream.  I listened to that statement on their podcast last night, and for the first time in memory, could not disagree more.

I'll eat crow, but no friggin way we get that type of quality PF.  Not only that, but for one year NOW is wasteful.  Maybe that caliber on a senior laddened team like Alec's Junior and Senior years would be beneficial.