• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Valpo needs to "cast a wider net" then most other MVC schools from a academic performance standpoint. It makes it tougher to recruit top talent.

That was certainly the case in the commuter school league known as the HL.  In the MVC, Bradley, Evansville, Loyola and Drake all have similar academic expectations.  There are exceptions such as Illinois St who at one time was voted as #1 party school. 
CRUSADERS!!!

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteThere are exceptions such as Illinois St who at one time was voted as #1 party school.

That might have been true at one time, but Illinois State is now one of the highest rated non-flagship public universities in the country. They're ranked ahead of St. John's, Louisville, Mississippi State, VCU, WVU, New Mexico and Texas Tech (to name a few higher-profile institutions) in the latest U.S. News rankings.

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 26, 2018, 09:16:09 AM
Valpo needs to "cast a wider net" then most other MVC schools from a academic performance standpoint. It makes it tougher to recruit top talent.

That was certainly the case in the commuter school league known as the HL.  In the MVC, Bradley, Evansville, Loyola and Drake all have similar academic expectations.  There are exceptions such as Illinois St who at one time was voted as #1 party school. 

Northern Iowa is also ranked in the top 10 in the same category as Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

"Arch Madness is here! Union Street Hoops hosts Paul Oren (@NWIOren) and Parker Gatewood (@ParkerBGatewood) give their thoughts on end of Valparaiso's regular-season and what success looks like in St. Louis. Missouri State beat reporter Wyatt Wheeler (@WyattWheeler_NL) of the Springfield News-Leader joins the pod to talk Bears and Crusaders."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-arch-madness-preview/article_1068193a-1d8c-11e8-aa73-6b29217f56c0.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/969312577045098503

talksalot

SO.... do these "reporters" WANT me to yell (espouse vs. eschew enthusiasm) when a member of the opposing team hits a three-pointer?  A mere acknowledgement is about all I can muster...  Well, I suppose it's better to recognized for something!

If November 1 is opening day... that's 241 days from now...  I have to admit I turned off the Radford-Liberty game the other day to watch the Cubs pre-season game... 

zvillehaze

Not sure where to put this, but I'm glad the NWI Times sent pgmado to Detroit to cover Butler.  Appreciate his article and Tweets!   :thumbsup:

Pgmado

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 16, 2018, 05:21:43 PM
Not sure where to put this, but I'm glad the NWI Times sent pgmado to Detroit to cover Butler.  Appreciate his article and Tweets!   :thumbsup:

I give Butler a lot grief...part of it is shtick, part of it is a general distaste for the smugness that is "The Butler Way," but hard not to appreciate what they've accomplished. I just wrote a series of stories on Valparaiso's 20-year anniversary of one first round win. Butler has won its last seven first round games. 

vu72

Quote from: Pgmado on March 16, 2018, 05:55:44 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on March 16, 2018, 05:21:43 PM

I give Butler a lot grief...part of it is shtick, part of it is a general distaste for the smugness that is "The Butler Way," but hard not to appreciate what they've accomplished. I just wrote a series of stories on Valparaiso's 20-year anniversary of one first round win. Butler has won its last seven first round games. 

And your point is?  I hate Butler.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Butler has been successful and they have a right to toot their horn. I give Butler much praise for how their basketball program has evolved and how they are run. I hate to say it but they is jealousy with the Valpo fans.

M

Did Coach win the over/under contest?

VU2010

Does Paul have the gall to ask the questions that need to be asked? Will Lottich answer questions with substance? Will we hear about the Parker situation? Why players would start but then not play? The now-routine suspensions? The push for renovations to the ARC? Ragland interviewing elsewhere? The need to boost interest? Incentivizations for students? Yes? No? Maybe? Or, more of trusting in the process. Time shall tell.

My only wish is that VU Admins would pay attention to what UMBC did. They invested in an $80+ million dollar athletics facility BEFORE making their post-season run! Then stole the hearts of millions who didn't even know they existed. Then used social media to promote their schools. And, even mentioned still needing a sponsor fir their new sports complex??????

M

Maybe, No, Maybe, Maybe, No, Maybe, Yes (I'd bet the head coach would be excited that his assistants are interviewing for head coaching gigs, not so excited if he leaves for another assistant position), Yes, Yes

VU2014

Quote from: VU2010 on March 20, 2018, 10:40:43 PM
Does Paul have the gall to ask the questions that need to be asked? Will Lottich answer questions with substance? Will we hear about the Parker situation? Why players would start but then not play? The now-routine suspensions? The push for renovations to the ARC? Ragland interviewing elsewhere? The need to boost interest? Incentivizations for students? Yes? No? Maybe? Or, more of trusting in the process. Time shall tell.

My only wish is that VU Admins would pay attention to what UMBC did. They invested in an $80+ million dollar athletics facility BEFORE making their post-season run! Then stole the hearts of millions who didn't even know they existed. Then used social media to promote their schools. And, even mentioned still needing a sponsor fir their new sports complex??????

I'm hoping Lottich gives the fans more then just "trust the process." Coach Lottich has always been a guy who keeps things pretty close to the vest. I doubt he'll give a clear answer on Parker. He's not going to outright say he was bad. He won't publicly put his guys on blast.

A few questions:
-What is the major difference between recruiting Valley players and Horizon League players?
-What is our timeline to compete for Conference regular season titles?
-What are his honest thoughts on the Valley officiating and does he think a few too many calls went against VU this season? What is his style with discussing calls with the refs?
-What was the greatest challenge he faced in the MVC this season?
-How have you evolved as a coach after 2 years on the job? What are some do's and don'ts

What I really want is his opinion on the students. He hasn't shied away from taking subtle shots at the students for things like not standing in the past, which I appreciated. I'd like to know if he's going to go the extra mile like Porter Moser has in the past to drive student turnout. Porter Moser during their dark days was knocking on dorm doors with his players and really engaging with the Loyola student body to build a campus culture. We need to get our student's invested in the program again and that doesn't just fall on Lottich's shoulders but a sincere effort could go a long way. The University should want to get their current students to become die-hard fans because that fandom will crossover when they are alumni and they will continue to feel that connection when they are alums which could equate to more donations and engagement, which is invaluable to Universities.

If Homer, Scott, and Bryce couldn't convince the Administration to invest in facility renovations then it will be almost be a lost cause for Lottich to ask for them. He knew what he was getting into in terms of facilities when he took the job.

VU2014

"Valparaiso head coach Matt Lottich joins Union Street Hoops to talk about the 2017-18 season, including the differences between the Horizon League and Missouri Valley Conference.

Valley associate commissioner Mike Kern joins the pod to talk about Loyola's run to the Sweet Sixteen and what it means for the rest of the Valley. Kern also gives his impressions of Valparaiso's first season in the league."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-lottich-loyola/article_4791feb2-2d1d-11e8-8945-0fac27237e0d.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/976494698478088192

VU2014

The Valpo Message Board and Vapo Twitter got a "shoutout" in the interview with Coach Lottich lol. I'm glad he doesn't read this board  :thumbsup:

I've always wondered if players ever read this board. I doubt most of them do or even care, but I've notice on twitter that certain players at other programs search their name on twitter and they'll respond to the "criticism" or the love they get from fans. That seems a little unhealthy, imo.

covufan

Valpo Fan Zone Forum Best Podcast Award?

nkvu

I found coach's response to the question about calls interesting. His observation about players responding to his emotion i.e. if he starts complaining about calls his players pick up on that and start barking at the officials as well kind of explains his reluctance to do that. I can see that. At the same time it seems to me that a coach can instill in his players the rule that you don't complain to the officials, that's my job. Then show your players that you are willing to do that when it is warranted. Once you establish credibility then if you don't complain your players know to let it go and move on. Result would be the occasional tech on you as coach, fewer on your players.

But that's just a fan's opinion.

valpotx

Ben Boggs told me that all players are aware of the board, but most don't read it.  He said that he hoped no one ever said bad things about him. :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: nkvu on March 21, 2018, 11:30:24 PM
I found coach's response to the question about calls interesting. His observation about players responding to his emotion i.e. if he starts complaining about calls his players pick up on that and start barking at the officials as well kind of explains his reluctance to do that. I can see that. At the same time it seems to me that a coach can instill in his players the rule that you don't complain to the officials, that's my job. Then show your players that you are willing to do that when it is warranted. Once you establish credibility then if you don't complain your players know to let it go and move on. Result would be the occasional tech on you as coach, fewer on your players.

But that's just a fan's opinion.

I had a similar reaction. When Lottich said that he was concerned players might pick up on his arguing with the refs and also start "barking at the officials," I questioned whether his approach worked since the players were still getting called for technical fouls. In fact, my opposite opinion is that if the coach has the players' backs and is arguing with the officials, the players will feel no need to do it themselves. Otherwise, when they see the coach isn't strongly objecting to bad calls, the players naturally will.

When asked about the complaints by fans that he wasn't aggressive enough with the refs, I also wondered about Matt's explanation that he "can't control the officials." Nobody thinks or suggests he can "control" the officials, but he certainly can lobby them more forcefully to perhaps have greater influence on their calling a game.

In any case: kudos to Paul for raising the issue with Lottich.

valpotx

I completely agree that if the players know that the coach is going to handle those issues, and he makes sure they are aware of that fact, then Markus Golder probably doesn't cause as much grief with other team's players :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Podcast: Union Street Hoops (Comings and Goings)

"Paul Oren and Parker Gatewood return to bring all the latest Valparaiso news, including the transfers of Parker Hazen and Marten Linssen, as well as the addition of Daniel Sackey."

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/podcast-union-street-hoops-comings-and-goings/article_9645810e-3e7b-11e8-b989-cf3deefaa8fe.html

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on April 12, 2018, 06:17:09 PM
Podcast: Union Street Hoops (Comings and Goings)

"Paul Oren and Parker Gatewood return to bring all the latest Valparaiso news, including the transfers of Parker Hazen and Marten Linssen, as well as the addition of Daniel Sackey."

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/podcast-union-street-hoops-comings-and-goings/article_9645810e-3e7b-11e8-b989-cf3deefaa8fe.html

Thanks 2014 for the heads up. For those of us who want to cut to the chase, could you just list the key points?  From there we can decide if we want to to tune in or not spend the total time on the podcast.

FWalum

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 12, 2018, 09:16:31 PMI always listen to the full podcast because I find them very entertaining (and provide a small distraction from my daily schedule).  I'm envious of folks like VULB#62 who have such busy lives that they don't have time to listen to a full 45 minute podcast.  ;D ;D
I listen to Union Street Hoops mainly in the car, and in general, would spend at least that much time nearly every day in windshield time.  Don't really listen to "radio" anymore with the in car bluetooth options and listening to some fairly regular podcasts.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

M

I got through all but the last 10 minutes on my drive to work this morning, which is way more then I usually get through. Parker provides no real original thoughts, they laugh at Paul for saying Hazen was the next Peters, they laugh at the Suns writer who said AP needs to go, they briefly mention Sackey (Parker says he is fast like Micah Bradford  ???) and JFL (they mention how he kills in open gym at Valpo). They talk briefly about the transfers too.

I usually find these unlistenable, today wasn't much different.  I'm invested in this episode now and will finish it out on the way home (if the Cubs don't have a day game). Hoping they talk about the schedule in the last 10 minutes.