• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valparaiso has ACCEPTED* the Invite to become the 10th Member of the MVC!!!!

Started by VU2014, May 09, 2017, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 13, 2017, 06:48:06 AM
Quote from: wh on May 13, 2017, 05:37:15 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 12, 2017, 11:09:31 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on May 12, 2017, 10:16:29 PM
Football has nothing to do with the MVC move. Valpo Football is a separate money making entity. Valpo is decades and at least a $15M commitment away from playing 1-AA scholarship football.

VU makes money on football?  I thought they only made money due to tuition from 100 young men?  Is there money made other ways?

I've always wondered about the premise that Valparaiso University is reaping a big financial benefit from its non-scholarship football program. $50,000 per student per year for tuition, fees, room and board x 100 football players = $5 million in GROSS revenues. That is a HUGE number, especially in the age of declining enrollments and budget cuts. If it's that easy to add $5M to the revenue side of the ledger, wouldn't every small to mid-sized university in the country jump at the opportunity to start a non-scholarship football program?

That's the premise for the track program as well.  The only thing I can contribute is, having played on both teams, VU did discount tuition through several academic scholarships.  One of which I seem to recall was -$5500 for being a well rounded student who volunteers in their community.  In the end admissions/finance office found around -$9000/year to help.  But there lies the problem, is that price flexibility purposely available for football/track athletes to sweeten the pot?  In any case, I still paid around $15,000 per year.  In the early 2000s that passed for more than State schools tuition.

I think FieldGoodie05 said it right.  The 100 kids aren't paying $50,000 grand each.  96% of students get financial aid and many of our football players are excellent students eligible for scholarships.  So let's say the average football player pays half of the stated sticker price of nearly $50,000.  So that's $2.5 million to the University.  Next you have the average attendance of five home games of 2,000 at $10 a seat. There's another $20,000!!  Then think of all those hot dogs consumed!!  Finally, we get a nice pay check each year for our annual butt kicking, last year at Illinois State and this year at Montana.

Is that enough to cover staff and flights to New York, Florida, California, South and North Carolina?  Who knows.  It does add 100 men to the student body who possibly wouldn't be there without football and the male to female ratio is important to universities.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Football has nothing to do with the MVC move. Valpo Football is a separate money making entity. Valpo is decades and at least a $15M commitment away from playing 1-AA scholarship football.

VU makes money on football?  I thought they only made money due to tuition from 100 young men?  Is there money made other ways?

I've always wondered about the premise that Valparaiso University is reaping a big financial benefit from its non-scholarship football program. $50,000 per student per year for tuition, fees, room and board x 100 football players = $5 million in GROSS revenues. That is a HUGE number, especially in the age of declining enrollments and budget cuts. If it's that easy to add $5M to the revenue side of the ledger, wouldn't every small to mid-sized university in the country jump at the opportunity to start a non-scholarship football program?

That's the premise for the track program as well.  The only thing I can contribute is, having played on both teams, VU did discount tuition through several academic scholarships.  One of which I seem to recall was -$5500 for being a well rounded student who volunteers in their community.  In the end admissions/finance office found around -$9000/year to help.  But there lies the problem, is that price flexibility purposely available for football/track athletes to sweeten the pot?  In any case, I still paid around $15,000 per year.  In the early 2000s that passed for more than State schools tuition.

It's probably closer to a break even situation than a big money maker.

First we can assume a decent portion don't pay full tuition. So you may be looking at a gross closer to 3MM. Subtract travel, maintenance, equipment,  coaches salary, etc. Then subtract all normal student fixed and variable expenses (teachers/staff salary, building maintenance, etc). It may make some money but at the end of the day the work it takes to field the team is likely not worth it for most schools.

What it does do is act as a built in enrollment tool for male students and regularly brings in 50 new male students each year. I say male because the demographics at universities is skewing female and attracting male students is important to maintain diversity (IMO).

Dave_2010

Quote from: vuny98 on May 13, 2017, 08:43:37 AM

It's probably closer to a break even situation than a big money maker.

First we can assume a decent portion don't pay full tuition. So you may be looking at a gross closer to 3MM. Subtract travel, maintenance, equipment,  coaches salary, etc. Then subtract all normal student fixed and variable expenses (teachers/staff salary, building maintenance, etc). It may make some money but at the end of the day the work it takes to field the team is likely not worth it for most schools.

What it does do is act as a built in enrollment tool for male students and regularly brings in 50 new male students each year. I say male because the demographics at universities is skewing female and attracting male students is important to maintain diversity (IMO).

I'd also be curious as to the amount of football-specific donations the department receives annually. By a wide margin, football has the largest alumni base and that giving stops the day you take away their program.

There is no doubt in my mind the school is running that program in the black. Given all the troubles it's had over the years, there would be no reason to continue sponsoring football if it was a frequent money loser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on May 13, 2017, 08:31:56 AM

I think FieldGoodie05 said it right.  The 100 kids aren't paying $50,000 grand each.  96% of students get financial aid and many of our football players are excellent students eligible for scholarships.  So let's say the average football player pays half of the stated sticker price of nearly $50,000.  So that's $2.5 million to the University.  Next you have the average attendance of five home games of 2,000 at $10 a seat. There's another $20,000!!  Then think of all those hot dogs consumed!!  Finally, we get a nice pay check each year for our annual butt kicking, last year at Illinois State and this year at Montana.

Is that enough to cover staff and flights to New York, Florida, California, South and North Carolina?  Who knows.  It does add 100 men to the student body who possibly wouldn't be there without football and the male to female ratio is important to universities.

No matter how we dice it, VU benefits greatly from football and T&F.  We had athletes from Idaho, Washington, CALIFORNIA, Arizona, Colorado, etc etc.  The flights and recruiting that athletics engaged (spend) in keep VU relevant nationally.  It's a great form of advertising...compounded infinitely by men's bball tournament success.

How much of this "national" concept was present in the 1980s and before?  Would enjoy hearing from alumni on this forum.  I'd venture a guess that a lot of the national brand developed with affordable flights and the highway system.  But was it given miracle grow post The Shot?

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 13, 2017, 10:46:26 AMNo matter how we dice it, VU benefits greatly from football and T&F.  We had athletes from Idaho, Washington, CALIFORNIA, Arizona, Colorado, etc etc.  The flights and recruiting that athletics engaged (spend) in keep VU relevant nationally.  It's a great form of advertising...compounded infinitely by men's bball tournament success.

How much of this "national" concept was present in the 1980s and before?  Would enjoy hearing from alumni on this forum.  I'd venture a guess that a lot of the national brand developed with affordable flights and the highway system.  But was it given miracle grow post The Shot?

Valpo currently has JUST ATHLETES from 32 states and 10 foreign countries.  I still find it hard to believe the national pull when a kid from California, Florida, Texas, Arizona or even Hawaii decides to study at Valpo.

As for before the 80's, yes, there were kids from all over the nation.  I had friends from Texas, New York, New Jersey etc in addition to the Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin and Indiana kids who have always been a major part of the enrollment.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I can personally speak to the financial aid that athletes are able to obtain outside of the general sports scholarships.  As long as you are in good standing and came in with a lot of academic credentials, the administration tries to find ways to get you aid, but all legally within NCAA rules.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: wh on May 14, 2017, 06:39:04 AM
Missouri Valley hoops race 'wide open,' analyst says

Harrison Keegan | HKEEGAN@NEWS-LEADER.COM
Updated 13 hours ago

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2017/05/13/missouri-valley-hoops-race-wide-open-analyst-says/101557382/

Pete Gillen, CBS Sports Network basketball analyst, told the News-Leader he expects Valparaiso to finish near the top of the standings, but the Valley race is "wide open" next season.

"You're going to miss Wichita State, but Valpo is a great addition," Gillen said. "And now with the league being wide open, that will add a lot of excitement to the Valley."

Gillen, a former coach at Xavier, Providence and Virginia, said he could see a number of teams winning the Valley next season — including Missouri State.

Missouri State University President Clif Smart told the News-Leader last week the MVC will look to add more schools next year after extending an invitation to Valparaiso this spring.

valpopal

Nice to see the forum banner already proclaiming Valpo as a member of "The Valley"!

bbtds

Time to get to know the other head bball coaches in the Missouri Valley Conference:

Bradley - Brian Wardle (some of his former players couldn't give 2 $h!ts about him)
http://bradleybraves.com/coaches.aspx?rc=932&path=mbball

Drake - Niko Medved
http://godrakebulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=668&path=mbball

Evansville - Marty Simmons
http://gopurpleaces.com/coaches.aspx?rc=548

Illinois State - Dan Muller
http://goredbirds.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbball&rc=84

Indiana State - Greg Lansing
http://gosycamores.com/coaches.aspx?rc=359&path=mbball

Loyola - Porter Moser
http://www.loyolaramblers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/moser_porter00.html

Missouri State - Paul Lusk
http://missouristatebears.com/coaches.aspx?rc=62&path=mbball

Northern Iowa - Ben Jacobson
http://www.benjacobsonbasketballcamps.com/head-coach.cfm

Southern Illinois - Barry Hinson
http://www.siusalukis.com/staff.aspx?staff=62

Valpo - Sexiest Midmajor head coach - Matt Lottich
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/coaches/6755/matt-lottich/#.WRjE-WgrLIU                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Three of these head coaches have already been in a conference with Valpo before

bigmosmithfan1

Barry Hinson was the coach at ORU back in the late 90s when the VU-ORU Mid-Con rivalry had a nice bit of heat to it. Hinson was famous for his backhanded compliments of Valpo and regularly getting chapped at our student section. Will be interesting to see if that returns when we see SIU next year.

Just Sayin

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on May 14, 2017, 09:59:53 PM
Barry Hinson was the coach at ORU back in the late 90s when the VU-ORU Mid-Con rivalry had a nice bit of heat to it. Hinson was famous for his backhanded compliments of Valpo and regularly getting chapped at our student section. Will be interesting to see if that returns when we see SIU next year.

Is that guy who always incessantly stomped his foot on the floor when he thought the refs made a bad call?

VU2014

Valpo89

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 15, 2017, 05:59:23 AM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on May 14, 2017, 09:59:53 PM

Is that guy who always incessantly stomped his foot on the floor when he thought the refs made a bad call?
Ron Hunter of IUPUI broke his foot when stomping one time. Is that what you were thinking?

Really liked Barry Hinson when I dealt with him as a media guy in the late 90s. He was always very accommodating and I think he enjoyed the rivalry with Valpo similar to Greg Kampe.

VULB#62

Off the top are these two pieces of info that I liked hearing from Elgin in those interview segments:

1) Valpo's attitude:  "They just don't want to be in the league; they want to win it."  We apparently got that message across during the visit  :thumbsup:

2) Next steps:  MVC staffers will visit the Valpo campus in July for extensive orientation, procedural briefings, and get-acquainted meetings so that Valpo coaches and admins will know beforehand (instead of learning the hard way) how the MVC does business and how it sets schedules.  That's the mark of a well run operation.   :twocents:

bbtds

Tonight on the Fox Sports Midwest - St Louis broadcast of the Red Sox at Cardinals game Dan McLaughlin, one of the TV guys, announced that Valparaiso (pronounced correctly) would be joining the Missouri Valley Conference. Dan said he was excited for the addition of Valparaiso to the conference.

VULB#62

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 16, 2017, 09:54:45 PM
Whoa!  Valpo is getting some fantastic exposure.

Also it makes the move that much more definitive and not dependent on financial variables getting worked out. Valpo is not going to say "NO." (it sounded better as a double negative)

NativeCheesehead

I forget which year, but I remember Danny Mac called one of the Mid Con title games when it was played in KC.  I have the tape somewhere. 

underdawg

Coach Hinson does stomp his feet often, but I think he is trying to get the attention of his players not do non-verbal comments on refs

UNIFTW

Quote from: underdawg on May 17, 2017, 03:48:08 AM
Coach Hinson does stomp his feet often, but I think he is trying to get the attention of his players not do non-verbal comments on refs
Hinson is a national treasure that should be cherished. There isn't an opposing coach, player, fan base, or media member that doesn't love Barry and I'm not sure Barry has come across a media person he actually disliked. It will be a very sad day when he leaves the conference for good.

He had a couple MSU teams that got screwed out of, what should have been, 4-6 seeds in the NCAA tournament by not getting a bid at all. He got three straight NIT bids out of it, but those were followed up with a disappointing 17 win year in his last year and was fired.

He went to SIU which was destroyed by Lowery. I would love nothing more than for SIU to get back to the rival status it used to have with UNI in basketball and football. The best UNI games I've ever been to are UNI/SIU football/basketball games. That and I miss the SIU fans I "fight" with on the national boards. underdawg is one of them for sure - he doesn't know me by this screen name but he knows who I am on AGS and CS if he thinks about it. Anyway, Lowery destroyed SIU and then the state of Illinois went broke, and more broke, and more broke, and right now it sounds really ugly (based on their beat writers stories/tweets). Federal Title IX investitgation, tens of millions cut from budgets, borrowing 35 million from the Edwardsville campus, etc...

Even with all of that Hinson has brougth SIU back to the precipice of being something special again. I don't know if he has "it" to take SIU over that next hump they need too, but if anyone can it will be him if he coaches long enough and SIU continues to stand behind him. He's 56 so he's getting to that "How long do I want to coach" phase of life, but I can't imagine Barry not coaching. He probably has another 10 years left in him. He's also at that age a "bigger" program isn't going to grab him if he does get SIU over that hump. If SIU keeps him both he and Jake at UNI are going to destroy every record in the coaching record book. They are both already top 6 in conference wins and total wins in the 110 year MVC history. Jake is only 45 and beeng a HC 11 years and Barry has been in the MVC 13 years. Jake has no intention of leaving UNI (he's paid over a million per year, been in Cedar Falls for 17 years now, his kids only know CF, his wife loves the town, the town loves him, etc...) He's turned down 2.5-3m jobs to stay in CF. Hinson loves the MVC and isn't leaving SIU without being fired or retiring for good.

I, almost everyone, is very excited about Valpo being in the league. Sure, I worry about other sports outside of basketball but I love sports to the extreme. I'm in the minority there. When I lived in Cedar Falls (as a student and home owner after college) I went to every MBB, FB, VB and WBB gameS. I also went to 75%+ of the SB, wrestling, T&F, baseball (when we had it) events. The only sports I never went to were S&D and tennis. As long as Valpo comes in and wins in basketball it's all good for me.