• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2017-18

Started by VU2014, November 03, 2017, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 17, 2017, 08:09:00 AM
UWM 73 - Loyola 56 yesterday. Tryin to get the MVC's attention?

I watched this game and it was more of a factor that Loyola didn't come to play. You can tell the players weren't excited to play UWM and it was a very cold shooting night for LU & UWM had a hot one. UWM didn't even win the rebounding differential. UWM looks better this season compared to last season.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on December 17, 2017, 09:01:23 AM

I watched this game and it was more of a factor that Loyola didn't come to play. You can tell the players weren't excited to play UWM and it was a very cold shooting night for LU & UWM had a hot one. UWM didn't even win the rebounding differential. UWM looks better this season compared to last season.

Which is a shame for them because that loss is a significant blow to any at-large hopes they may have had. To be fair to them, however, the Ramblers are quite shorthanded right now. I said this in another thread and I'll say it again: Milwaukee is a deeply flawed potential MVC add and are last among the realistic options in my eyes. However, they've got a lot going for them. I could see them as another Loyola type addition that takes a few years to get their feet under them but afterwards proves to be a creditable add.

bigmosmithfan1

To get back to the thread title, while you're all focusing (some of you way too much, IMO  ;)) on one of our former conference mates, one of our current conference mates had a pretty good day yesterday: Illinois State beat Ole Miss, 101-97.

bbtds

Whoever said Loyola was going to be inconsistent was so right. Of course Milwaukee is the epitome of an inconsistent team.

underdawg

Nice win by my Salukis 71-61 over RPI 84 Lamar (8-2)--but got another player hurt--Back up PG Eric McGill--possible broken hand--yes that makes at least 6 players hurt this season including three starters--our 6-8 all-conference PF Thik Bol will finally make it back the beginning of January---so I'm not too upset over 6-4 record although we probably should have two more wins.

Lamar was averaging 80.5 ppg prior to last weekends game with the Salukis

wh

Quote from: underdawg on December 18, 2017, 07:42:32 PM
Nice win by my Salukis 71-61 over RPI 84 Lamar (8-2)--but got another player hurt--Back up PG Eric McGill--possible broken hand--yes that makes at least 6 players hurt this season including three starters--our 6-8 all-conference PF Thik Bol will finally make it back the beginning of January---so I'm not too upset over 6-4 record although we probably should have two more wins.

Lamar was averaging 80.5 ppg prior to last weekends game with the Salukis

Nice win, indeed. I haven't kept up with all your injuries. How many guys are out right now?  Other than the broken hand, is anyone returning any time soon?

underdawg

For some reason Salukis players have been hitting their hands on our playing surface at a rapid rate :lol: We got our starting 6-5 PG Bartley back from a broken wrist a week or so ago but the idiot hit it again somehow--but He just will have to play with pain (it wasn't broken). Also banging up their hands were 6-10 Kavion Pippen (still can play) and Rudy Stradnieks (ok) However, back up PG Eric McGill probably broke his Hand> Dig this--all those three players mentioned injured those hands IN THE SAME GAME.

Our starting PF Thik Bol may be back, after the first of the year--so won't be able to play against powerhouse Nevada Friday in a Vegas Tournament

Sorry about whining so much--but I've never seen 6-7 injuries in one season

underdawg

SIU over North Caroline A&T 102-64---Wish we'd saved this offensive  game for Friday and Nevada

vu84v2

Looking at the Evansville - Duke score, is the difference between decent mid-majors and high majors that great? My guess is that these enormous blowouts are outliers, but - wow - there have been quite a few of these.

VULB#62

Reminder:  Duke lost to a hot shooting Boston College recently. Er.... Boston College?

talksalot

104-40... not a good showing on ESPN2...just playing them makes the Ace's RPI go up

Not the case on the west coast for us tonight.

talksalot

Missouri Valley Conference play starts Friday 12/22...

Loyola At Missouri State

Saturday 12/23...

Illinois State at Evansville

vu72

Quote from: talksalot on December 20, 2017, 10:40:25 PM
104-40... not a good showing on ESPN2...just playing them makes the Ace's RPI go up

Not the case on the west coast for us tonight.

[/quote

I watched part of this game and Evansville had four players out including their top two scorers and dressed only 9.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on December 21, 2017, 08:43:05 PM
What last night did for our image among Valley fans...
https://twitter.com/CowboyTroy1533/status/944035055520944128

We sorta do right now.  But I'm unworried, have as young a team as seems possible.

underdawg

Every team has a few stinkers--look what happened to the Tar Hills---if they played that game a 100 times, NC would win big 99

valpotx

Illinois State fans have no room to talk.  They lost to an even worse Charleston Southern team, and just beat UIC by 1, both at home...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

VU2014

For future reference on games that are broadcast on ESPN3 if the games are on NBC Sports Chicago, you'll be blacked out if you're from IN, IL, MO and Iowa.
https://twitter.com/ValleyHoops/status/944404957054332929

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on December 21, 2017, 08:43:05 PM
What last night did for our image among Valley fans...
https://twitter.com/CowboyTroy1533/status/944035055520944128

From his Twitter Page: "Continuing my education and pursuing my bachelors degree at Illinois State University!"

Does it really matter what some silly kid who makes a disparaging comment thinks?  We have a long and proud history of making people eat words like these.

VU2014

Yeah I normally don't care what others think but I'd be lying if I didn't want us to put our best foot forward and show we belong this season to other Valley fans. Loyola was literally catching grief for 4 years for their subpar performance in the league. Now they're finally take that next step as a program this season after Porter Moser started recruiting at a higher level and their University really started investing in their program with renovations to Gentile and boosted their budget over time. He'll definitely be eating crow in the future once we get healthy and this young team gets more experience playing together under its belt.