• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2017-18

Started by VU2014, November 03, 2017, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on March 25, 2018, 05:17:53 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 25, 2018, 04:49:14 PM
Now if only Barry Hinson would do the same at SIU... He has a good team this year... No excuses...

Barry actually scheduled some solid teams this season like: Louisville, SLU, Murray and the got into the Las Vegas Classic and played Nevada, but SIU always plays their fair share of cupcakes. TBH we did too this season with SIUE and UC Riverside. That UC Riverside could be the low point in my time of being a fan. That game will stick with me till my dying days. Never again should we ever lose to a team like that. Last season schedule was weak for a few reasons that had to do with the conference switch, but on the bright side it sounds like the 2018-19 schedule might be coming along nicely.

I hope stronger schedules become the new normal around here.

VULB#62

I believe that there are so many Valpo fans that are just waiting to explode, but the dull, conservative and reserved approach to our membership in the MVC  is causing negative emotions rather than positive and effusive emotions —- at least among posters on this forum.  I also believe that this is a viable indicator that the administration needs to be attentive to.

Higher education has devolved into a business. We CAN enter into that environment and still maintatin our integrity. But we have to enter, and so far, we have historically failed to (1)  recognize the opportunity or (2) even if we recognized it, didn't have the guts to act on it. Just my  :twocents:

VU2014

Just heard some good news for Valpo. You'll be able to connect the dots soon enough. FWIW it has nothing to do with recruiting.

vufan75

Quote from: VU2014 on March 26, 2018, 09:26:31 PM
Just heard some good news for Valpo. You'll be able to connect the dots soon enough. FWIW it has nothing to do with recruiting.
Just maybe a a tiny hint to help us out? Must be our fav topic after recruiting....facilities! [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

crusadermoe

Is "Forever Valpo" ending?

VU2014

Haha I wish it was about facilities, but it sounds like someone will likely be sticking around for at least another season.  :)

vufan75

Quote from: VU2014 on March 26, 2018, 10:02:59 PM
Haha I wish it was about facilities, but it sounds like someone will likely be sticking around for at least another season.  :)
Rags is staying!! If so great news!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

bbtds

Quote from: vufan75 on March 26, 2018, 10:05:56 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 26, 2018, 10:02:59 PM
Rags is staying!! If so great news!!

Ragland must have seen that as many as there are being invited to the Purple McCarty Party not many will be showing up and the better situation is not in the southwest part of the state but to stay in the northwest part of the state.

SanityLost17

Big congratulations to the MVC's foresight in choosing Loyola to join the conference 5 years ago.   It was a big risk and for a while it looked like they made a mistake, but now the MVC has a post WSU/Creighton final 4 team.   Somebody in the front office needs a raise!   

NOW, I am going to make an attempt to argue that it was still a mistake to chose Loyola over Valparaiso 5 years ago.   

1.  Valpo was much further along in "The Process" than Loyola was at the time.
2.  Although I do not believe any Valpo team in the last 5 years was capable of making the final 4, I do believe our team from 2 years ago was a sweet 16 team and I believe that the added bonus of recruiting to the MVC instead of the Horizon might have given us a 2nd team capable of making the tournament because lets face it, 5 years of recruiting The Valley would have made us better last year and this year and that is a FACT.
3. Also, because Valpo was further along in "The Process", I think that having 2 quality games against Valpo last year might have been just enough to push Illinois State into the tournament and give the MVC multiple bids last year as well as the year before when Valpo would have had just enough of a scheduling bump to be an at large team during Peter's junior season.  Not to mention the fact that I think we would have been better this year, but lets say we were still in rebuilt mode this year after Peter's departure.   
4. Perhaps a multi-bid league year in and year out make Wichita's decision to leave harder.  Same goes for Bryce if things are still humming along here.  You just never know.     

I know, all of my opinions are taking some liberties on things that never happened.   But it doesn't change the fact there was a 3 year period there that we were really really good and anybody who tries to dispute that is a moron.  Definitely MVC caliber (WE WERE NOT YET THERE THIS YEAR IN A REBUILDING YEAR).   But ask yourself where the MVC would be today if they chose Valpo instead of Loyola.   To me the answer is that they WOULD NOT have a final 4 team, but what they would have are several multi-bid seasons with mutiple round of 32 and sweet 16 teams and IN THE AGGREGATE would have just as much NCAA money to distribute and a better conference top to bottom. 

Now, perhaps with the choice of Loyola going forward the MVC is better off having chosen Loyola based on what we have seen this year.  However, over the last 5 years it was still a mistake.       

crusadermoe

Boy I hate to beat a dead horse.  But don't you think it was commitment to facilities?   They had a key donor lined up to do big things for them.

And the MVC said it was a TV market decision too.  If it was all current hoops performance they would have picked MSU or Valpo.    Easier fly-in than Valpo for travel too.   

But it all turned out best for ALL!

VU2014

It's silly to rehash the MVC's decision to take Loyola over us 5 years ago. Clearly Loyola has proven itself over time to be a good addition even if they were a punching bag for the rest of the MVC their first few years. Clearly they've more then made up for it. Valpo probably would have returned the most immediate return back in 2012 but this really is a pointless exercise at this point. I think we'll prove in time to be a good addition to the conference.

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 27, 2018, 11:37:30 AM
Boy I hate to beat a dead horse.  But don't you think it was commitment to facilities?   They had a key donor lined up to do big things for them.

Getting their facilities renovated had a huge impact on their recruiting, as well as being in the MVC. Being in the MVC opens doors to recruits that previously wouldn't have considered you if you were in the Horizon League.

VU2014

Brian Wardle just got a contract extension after 3 seasons at Bradley. They locked him up (unless a P5 is willing to buy him out) till 2022-23.

https://twitter.com/DaveReynolds2/status/978674989984632832

Wardle was making $465,427 per year in his original contract. Coach Lottich is going to be going into his 3rd season as the head coach next season. Do you think the University tries to give him a similar extension to Wardle? I forgot when Bryce signed his extension. I believe it was after his 3rd season. I think if we have a strong year next year they'll try and sign him to a fair extension with a good solid buyout protection.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on March 27, 2018, 12:13:31 PM
Brian Wardle just got a contract extension after 3 seasons at Bradley. They locked him up (unless a P5 is willing to buy him out) till 2022-23.

https://twitter.com/DaveReynolds2/status/978674989984632832

Wardle was making $465,427 per year in his original contract. Coach Lottich is going to be going into his 3rd season as the head coach next season. Do you think the University tries to give him a similar extension to Wardle? I forgot when Bryce signed his extension. I believe it was after his 3rd season. I think if we have a strong year next year they'll try and sign him to a fair extension with good a solid buyout protection.

With the teams Valpo will have the next two years (and beyond), the university would be smart to lock him up now before he becomes a "hot candidate" after making tourney runs. 

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 27, 2018, 12:18:45 PMWith the teams Valpo will have the next two years (and beyond), the university would be smart to lock him up now before he becomes a "hot candidate" after making tourney runs. 

I believe our MVC projected NCAA revenue share is already $800,000+ from the Loyola run. If we think Matt is on the right track (and I do) then some of this bonus needs to be steered in his direction.

NativeCheesehead

If the team makes the strides we think they're capable of next year, I think a 3-5 year extension is appropriate.

VU2014

A midwest Big East job just opened up. Maybe this is a  gig that could interest Porter Moser if they offered. From all his interviews he's making it sounds like he's coming back. We'll see.

https://twitter.com/CoachChrisMack/status/978718866338713601

EddieCabot

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 27, 2018, 10:45:23 AM
Big congratulations to the MVC's foresight in choosing Loyola to join the conference 5 years ago.   It was a big risk and for a while it looked like they made a mistake, but now the MVC has a post WSU/Creighton final 4 team.   Somebody in the front office needs a raise!   

NOW, I am going to make an attempt to argue that it was still a mistake to chose Loyola over Valparaiso 5 years ago.   

1.  Valpo was much further along in "The Process" than Loyola was at the time.
2.  Although I do not believe any Valpo team in the last 5 years was capable of making the final 4, I do believe our team from 2 years ago was a sweet 16 team and I believe that the added bonus of recruiting to the MVC instead of the Horizon might have given us a 2nd team capable of making the tournament because lets face it, 5 years of recruiting The Valley would have made us better last year and this year and that is a FACT.
3. Also, because Valpo was further along in "The Process", I think that having 2 quality games against Valpo last year might have been just enough to push Illinois State into the tournament and give the MVC multiple bids last year as well as the year before when Valpo would have had just enough of a scheduling bump to be an at large team during Peter's junior season.  Not to mention the fact that I think we would have been better this year, but lets say we were still in rebuilt mode this year after Peter's departure.   
4. Perhaps a multi-bid league year in and year out make Wichita's decision to leave harder.  Same goes for Bryce if things are still humming along here.  You just never know.     

I know, all of my opinions are taking some liberties on things that never happened.   But it doesn't change the fact there was a 3 year period there that we were really really good and anybody who tries to dispute that is a moron.  Definitely MVC caliber (WE WERE NOT YET THERE THIS YEAR IN A REBUILDING YEAR).   But ask yourself where the MVC would be today if they chose Valpo instead of Loyola.   To me the answer is that they WOULD NOT have a final 4 team, but what they would have are several multi-bid seasons with mutiple round of 32 and sweet 16 teams and IN THE AGGREGATE would have just as much NCAA money to distribute and a better conference top to bottom. 

Now, perhaps with the choice of Loyola going forward the MVC is better off having chosen Loyola based on what we have seen this year.  However, over the last 5 years it was still a mistake.     

This is very well thought out.  I hadn't even thought about WSU possibly staying if the MVC had added Valpo, but it makes some sense.  Fun to play "what if", but all Valpo can do is now is move forward and take full advantage of the recruiting and scheduling benefits MVC membership provides.  The Loyola run should help with both of these, but also with the budget.

M

I think it's funny half this board had our coach gone back in February and are now offering him extensions.

valpo84

Maybe Thad Matta will go back to X.  Another name there is former assistant under Prosser, Pat Kelsey. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

nkvu

Quote from: valpo84 on March 28, 2018, 06:51:49 AM
Maybe Thad Matta will go back to X.  Another name there is former assistant under Prosser, Pat Kelsey. 

John Brannen from NKU is being mentioned as a candidate as well. He is a local guy who grew up just across the river in Northern KY, and Cincinnati schools love their local guys.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo84 on March 28, 2018, 06:51:49 AM

Rumor is the X assistant Steele is in the mix. He was rumored to have been considering interviewing for the Evansville job but once it became clear that Mack was headed to Louisville he withdrew his name from consideration.

Quote from: nkvu on March 28, 2018, 09:14:42 AM
John Brannen from NKU is being mentioned as a candidate as well. He is a local guy who grew up just across the river in Northern KY, and Cincinnati schools love their local guys.

He may get consideration but that's a big step up. I heard he was briefly considered for the Dayton job after Archie left last year.

VU2014

Quote from: M on March 27, 2018, 06:56:12 PM
I think it's funny half this board had our coach gone back in February and are now offering him extensions.

It is ironic but it's just the reality that mid-majors need to deal with. If the Athletics Department thinks they have a young potential rising star Head Coach you need to lock him up to an extension with increased buyout protections for when a P6 schools come looking to hire him away. If Coach Lottich and the team has a strong season (what determines a strong season is up for debate) next year it might be wise to extend him. Also having a coach locked up may help with recruitment and hiring quality assistants, to let them know the University is committed long-term to the coach. Next season won't be a make or break season for him but be in terms of his prospects of earning and securing an extension.

M

I understand the beenfits of extending coaches...Point of my comment was mild humor at the mood swings on this board.

NativeCheesehead

We're fans. We only offer rational, well thought out opinions, never change our minds, and always get along with each other.

VU2014

Drake hired a new HC. Devries is a long time assistant of Creighton.