• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2017-18

Started by VU2014, November 03, 2017, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

There's a link to the story in the Around the Valley string under the topic "MVC Coaching changes."

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 29, 2018, 10:26:10 AM
There's a link to the story in the Around teh Valley String --- Coaching changes.

It should be moved back to the Valpo Basketball section, imo.

Just Sayin

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 30, 2018, 01:00:37 AM
Interesting article on Loyola's tournament run and what it means for the MVC.

http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/loyolas-final-four-run-means-years-of-increased-revenue-for-missouri-valley-conference-members.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hopefully, the revenue Valpo receives will be put squarely where it belongs, in the men's basketball fund. Something tells me that won't happen.

VU2014

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 30, 2018, 05:49:44 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 30, 2018, 01:00:37 AM
Interesting article on Loyola's tournament run and what it means for the MVC.

http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/loyolas-final-four-run-means-years-of-increased-revenue-for-missouri-valley-conference-members.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hopefully, the revenue Valpo receives will be put squarely where it belongs, in the men's basketball fund. Something tells me that won't happen.

Amen. Reinvest in the program & the University's greatest marketing asset!

covufan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 30, 2018, 05:16:41 PM
More reasons why elite mids need more bids:

https://twitter.com/bobbyballcoach/status/979042490262147077

https://twitter.com/bobbyballcoach/status/979043513114521605

I'm not so sure about the math here.  He is saying that there have been 69 Mid-Major at-large berths to the NCAA tournament.  That translates to 7 at large berths per year.  He then goes on to say that the P5 at large berths are 70 - also an average of 7 per year.  Some years a given conference has that many at-large berths.

EddieCabot

Quote from: covufan on March 30, 2018, 07:01:53 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 30, 2018, 05:16:41 PM
More reasons why elite mids need more bids:

https://twitter.com/bobbyballcoach/status/979042490262147077

https://twitter.com/bobbyballcoach/status/979043513114521605

I'm not so sure about the math here.  He is saying that there have been 69 Mid-Major at-large berths to the NCAA tournament.  That translates to 7 at large berths per year.  He then goes on to say that the P5 at large berths are 70 - also an average of 7 per year.  Some years a given conference has that many at-large berths.

I'm all for mid-majors getting a far shake, but I agree that this data is odd.  Comparing performance of all mid-major at-large teams to just the worst P5 at-larges seems to be cherry picking a bit.  But again, if this helps mids get more bids, I'm all for it.

VUGrad1314

The data actually makes sense: He's comparing the performance of the last seven "bubble" teams from the Power conferences  who received at-large bids over each of the past 10 years against that of the mid major teams (teams from conferences below the AAC) who received at-large bids over the same span. Admittedly it's something of a cherry-picked argument, though the data is pretty telling: Among bubble teams, mid majors win more games and even tend to go slightly deeper in the tournament.

VUGrad1314

VUGrad1314

This article says much while saying nothing.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=18612

Losing Ingram Richardson and Jackson is going to be a blow but with Custer Townes Krutwig and Williamson still around and plenty of talent ready to step into new roles plus a shotblocking center ready to come aboard, Loyola is going to be just fine. Don't be surprised if the Ramblers make another deep run next year; hopefully, as part of a multibid MVC.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: M on March 27, 2018, 06:56:12 PMI think it's funny half this board had our coach gone back in February and are now offering him extensions.

Something to keep in mind here:

https://twitter.com/JasonBelzer/status/980253805584543744

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 31, 2018, 11:31:28 PM
Wow what an embarrassing capitulation by the WCC This is good news for the Valley though.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-gonzaga-mountain-west-wcc-20180331-story.html

The WCC knows if Gonzaga leaves, they basically have no ability to generate revenue for the conference, either through TV or tournament revenue, and BYU most likely wouldn't want to stick around in a league without Gonzaga.  It might have been an embarrassing move if the league actually had any leverage in this situation, but I don't think they do.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 01, 2018, 08:44:19 AM
This article says much while saying nothing.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=18612

Losing Ingram Richardson and Jackson is going to be a blow but with Custer Townes Krutwig and Williamson still around and plenty of talent ready to step into new roles plus a shotblocking center ready to come aboard, Loyola is going to be just fine. Don't be surprised if the Ramblers make another deep run next year; hopefully, as part of a multibid MVC.

They should be fine next season, but I doubt they'll be as efficient of team. They lose some key veterans. It will depend if their inexperienced players can step in right away and fill some big shoes but I doubt they'll be quite as dominant during conference play next season. Illinois State has a chance to be a really good team next season. Bradley might be taking another step as a program and Valpo should be better also. Drake and MSU are probably going to take a step back next season.

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 31, 2018, 11:31:28 PM
Wow what an embarrassing capitulation by the WCC This is good news for the Valley though.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-gonzaga-mountain-west-wcc-20180331-story.html

The WCC has to be a toxic environment with what all the other members gave up in that deal on top of Gonzaga already getting a much larger piece of the TV pie then the other schools. They should rename the conference: Gonzaga & Co. I bet the Zags only stick around till the end of the TV contract, which runs out in 2018-19. If the rest of the members don't bend the knee even further to Gonzaga they'll join the MWC. The WCC just doesn't sound like they're long-term home. They're just squeezing every dollar out of it that they can while they're still there.

VUGrad1314

Come to think of it, commissioner Thompson of the MWC seemed as though he wasn't closing the door on Gonzaga joining in the future. If the WCC is smart they will take this opportunity to expand and try to get some more depth in conference\tap into some larger markets to look more attractive in future media negotiations. Doing so would also give Gonzaga more exposure. They should look to add at least two (if not all) of the following: GCU Denver Seattle and Cal Baptist. Denver and GCU would be best because they have the most money but Seattle and Cal Baptist look to have potential as well. Doing this would provide many benefits to the WCC:

1. It effectively kills the WAC
2. It sends the Summit scrambling as they are already losing their eastern members.
3. It gives the WCC at least one potential bellwether program in the event that Gonzaga and BYU bolt
4. It keeps membership numbers strong to guard against future realignment.

The other schools may not like the idea of sharing an ever-shrinking pie after the Gonzaga Concessions or the increased travel costs but it is the right long-term move for the conference, and would at least give them a chance of being strong enough to keep Gonzaga and BYU around. If the WCC is going to fail in their attempts to do so they may as well fail boldly.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on March 25, 2018, 05:17:53 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 25, 2018, 04:49:14 PMNow if only Barry Hinson would do the same at SIU... He has a good team this year... No excuses...
Barry actually scheduled some solid teams this season like: Louisville, SLU, Murray and the got into the Las Vegas Classic and played Nevada, but SIU always plays their fair share of cupcakes. TBH we did too this season with SIUE and UC Riverside. That UC Riverside could be the low point in my time of being a fan. That game will stick with me till my dying days. Never again should we ever lose to a team like that. Last season schedule was weak for a few reasons that had to do with the conference switch, but on the bright side it sounds like the 2018-19 schedule might be coming along nicely.

Did you see this? Make or break time for Barry.

http://siusalukis.com/news/2018/3/31/general-tommy-bell-monthly-newsletter-march-edition.aspx

VU2014

Wow. The SIU AD just put Barry on notice with that statement. SIU probably could afford to consistently schedule better season to season but I thought he did a great coaching job this season considering all the injuries that dealt with throughout the season. The SIU AD might be seeing all the new season ticket purchases and fan rejuvenation down in Evansville and it could be influencing him. TBH I think SIU and ISUr had at least a case to be in the NIT.

VUGrad1314

He absolutely did a fantastic job given the circumstances, but remember this is a proud program with extremely high expectations: before Wichita State was a thing, Southern Illinois was Wichita State. They are among the most successful programs in the MVC since they joined. His under scheduling very possibly cost them an NIT berth. In a 7 game stretch they played 2 lower tier OVC teams (SEMO and SIU-Edwardsville) 1 Southland team (Lamar) 1 SWAC  team (Jackson State) 1 MEAC team (North Carolina A&T) and the worst team by far in the Mountain West (San Jose State). That is BRUTAL. Mind you, he had a team that many expected to be pretty good. If Valpo ever scheduled that badly with a team expected to contend  we would be demanding answers and change. Barry deserves the heat he is taking because he ducks competition for lousy home games to pad his win total.

FieldGoodie05

We are officially in a conference in which being past the first round (once) is no longer note worthy.

Wikipedia states the following MVC teams have made Final Four appearances:

Bradley (2)
Drake (1)
Indiana State (1)
Loyola IL (2)
(Wichita State (2))

Signs that we need to hit reset mentally on thinking we are any way deserving of respect.

VUGrad1314

Which means all of the stuff we have been saying about scheduling and facilities and such becomes even more pressing so that we can builda tradition that wins us the respect of our MVC peers. I hope weare up to the challenge and have a plsn in place to achieve this. The reported baseball upgrades and progress on the rec center are both encouraging developments but more is needed and everyone knows this.

bigmosmithfan1

Reading between the lines on the MWC Commish's comments, it sure seems like he's congratulating Gonzaga on carving out a sweetheart deal for themselves in the WCC. Which means the rest of the teams in that conference likely got taken to the cleaners.

VUGrad1314

His comments also left open the possibility of future negotiations between the two parties. Sounds like Gonzaga can have a spot in the MWC anytime it would like. And I wonder if the next round of TV negotiations will possibly put more pressure on Gonzaga to move.

Here's what Gonzaga got:
2 more OOC games
Elimination of the double round robin
Scheduling mandate for conference members (less non D1s More home games than away all teams must play in an MTE All "buy games" must be approved)
A bye directly into the conference tournament semifinals for the top two seeds
$1million per year in back tournament credits
A greater share of future tournament credits that they earn

Yes the rest of the conference  absolutely got taken badly. Gonzaga got literally everything. And they still might bolt in the near future.