• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo in the Rankings 2017-18

Started by agibson, November 13, 2017, 02:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

GU, unfortunately, made an emotional/legacy (the Thompson Tree) decision on Patrick   Patrick is a good man and was a great player.  He is not, however, A BE/P-5 coach.  That level requires a high intensity, quick reacting leader and recruiter.  And you better be good at the Xs and Os. Ewing is not built that way.  He will get eaten up over the next 2 years.  I say two years because that is all they will give him.

VU2014

Haslametrics ranks Valpo #115. It's early and haslametrics puts a heavy emphasis on SOS compared to other metric systems. It's actually one of the better analytical ranking systems, imo. Utah State is ranked 83rd which makes no sense but they've played a much tougher schedule then us.

MVC Rankings: http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php
45    Northern Iowa (6-2)
51   S Illinois (4-2)  ???
67   Missouri State (7-2)
99   Loyola-Chicago (8-1)
115   Valparaiso (8-0)
127   Bradley (7-1)
149   Indiana State (3-4)
151   Evansville (6-2)
168   Illinois State (4-4)
216   Drake (4-3)

http://haslametrics.com/ratings2.php?yr=&tid=5371

Analysis: Even though they sport a very impressive win percentage, Valparaiso is considered by this site to be nothing more than a team that is slightly above-average. They are ranked #115 (out of 351) in the most recent Haslametrics ratings and have a record of 8-0. With a strength-of-schedule rating of 0.267 (which ranks 338th nationally), they've also had one of the softest schedules in all of college basketball.

Valparaiso has a fairly effective defensive attack. Occupying the #41 slot in our defensive efficiency ratings, they will allow about 89 points for every 100 possessions vs. AO. Valparaiso is a solid rebounding team that will deny the opposition chances to score off of offensive rebounds. They have a rating of 10.46 vs. AO in potential points allowed off of second chances (ranked 45th in the country). Valparaiso also boasts one of the better overall defensive field goal percentages in the country. The team ranks #46 nationally in field goal percentage allowed, as AO only makes good on about 39.4% of their total attempts from the floor.

Unfortunately, Valparaiso is not even remotely close to being as good on offense as they are on defense. The team is ranked 227th in offensive efficiency, scoring about 97 points every 100 possessions vs. AO. Valparaiso is one of the least accurate teams when shooting from long-distance. They are ranked eighth from the bottom in three-point field goal percentage nationally and make just 22.6% of their attempts from long vs. AO.

valpo84

VuLB62, sorry to disagree with you but Patrick Ewing was an excellent choice for Georgetown and he has the coaching chops from being an NBA assistant for many years now.  He has thrown himself into this job and is working his tail off on recruiting etc.  Ewing has played and coached with many great coaches over his playing and coaching years.  He also was an Econ major in college and interned on the Hill.  I think he can figure out X's and O's.  X's and O's aren't that complicated. Patrick should have been a HC somewhere college or pros by now.  There seems to be a bias against Big Men.  Bill Cartwright is another who should get a shot, too.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2017, 12:31:38 AM
Haslametrics ranks Valpo #115. It's early and haslametrics puts a heavy emphasis on SOS compared to other metric systems. It's actually one of the better analytical ranking systems, imo. Utah State is ranked 83rd which makes no sense but they've played a much tougher schedule then us.

MVC Rankings: http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php
45    Northern Iowa (6-2)
51   S Illinois (4-2)  ???
67   Missouri State (7-2)
99   Loyola-Chicago (8-1)
115   Valparaiso (8-0)
127   Bradley (7-1)
149   Indiana State (3-4)
151   Evansville (6-2)
168   Illinois State (4-4)
216   Drake (4-3)

http://haslametrics.com/ratings2.php?yr=&tid=5371

Analysis: Even though they sport a very impressive win percentage, Valparaiso is considered by this site to be nothing more than a team that is slightly above-average. They are ranked #115 (out of 351) in the most recent Haslametrics ratings and have a record of 8-0. With a strength-of-schedule rating of 0.267 (which ranks 338th nationally), they've also had one of the softest schedules in all of college basketball.

Valparaiso has a fairly effective defensive attack. Occupying the #41 slot in our defensive efficiency ratings, they will allow about 89 points for every 100 possessions vs. AO. Valparaiso is a solid rebounding team that will deny the opposition chances to score off of offensive rebounds. They have a rating of 10.46 vs. AO in potential points allowed off of second chances (ranked 45th in the country). Valparaiso also boasts one of the better overall defensive field goal percentages in the country. The team ranks #46 nationally in field goal percentage allowed, as AO only makes good on about 39.4% of their total attempts from the floor.

Unfortunately, Valparaiso is not even remotely close to being as good on offense as they are on defense. The team is ranked 227th in offensive efficiency, scoring about 97 points every 100 possessions vs. AO. Valparaiso is one of the least accurate teams when shooting from long-distance. They are ranked eighth from the bottom in three-point field goal percentage nationally and make just 22.6% of their attempts from long vs. AO.

Good post, I was unaware of these rankings.  I mostly agree with the descriptive analysis, as our defense seems to be our greatest asset.

Though offense this early in the season, was to be expected.  No matter how you slice it, our athleticism gets us "paint points" and free throws.

Really hoping we can bring our 3-pt % into the 36-39% range as a team.  I've done no analysis of team % from deep, but that seems to be a healthy range.

Make no mistake, it was a reach to call us a good 3-pt % team pre-season and it's playing out as such.  Someone made a great point the other day that Burton doesn't run to get open, so if he's our best by % then he will be lucky to uncork 3 attempts a game if he doesn't hustle.  Now some of that is coaches offensive play calling, but I'm pretty sure Tevon could teach him a thing or two.

Again, young team and offense is the last segment to gel, still hopeful we can bring 21+ wins home.

UNIFTW

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 03, 2017, 01:48:25 PMThat's disgraceful. Whoever put that schedule together for the Hoyas (and decided to  pull them out of the PK80 should be ashamed of themselves.
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 03, 2017, 01:48:25 PMThat's disgraceful. Whoever put that schedule together for the Hoyas (and decided to  pull them out of the PK80 should be ashamed of themselves.
A fan of a program with an SOS of 260+ in Warren Nolan calling anyone's SOS disgraceful is ironic.

VU2014

Quote from: UNIFTW on December 04, 2017, 10:10:43 AM
A fan of a program with an SOS of 260+ in Warren Nolan calling anyone's SOS disgraceful is ironic.

The SOS will go up considerably after road games against Purdue, Northwestern and Ball State the next 2 weeks.

We also don't call ourselves a "blue-blood" program like Hoyas do. Valpo's schedule in the early going hasn't been great but it isn't Georgetown bad either.

VUGrad1314

Implying that I haven't been critical of this year's nonconference schedule. I've said constantly that Valpo needs to step it up and will continue to do so until they do. The OVERWHELMING majority of the fanbase feels this way. I personally have said many times that UNI is a template we can and should strive to emulate in as many ways as possible. But what you're missing here is context. There's a bit of a difference between Valpo scheduling a bit on the weaker side of things and freaking GEORGETOWN doing the same (their schedule has to be even weaker than ours). Valpo needs to do better we all acknowledge this but Georgetown a so-called blue blood absolutely deserves to be called out  by anyone and everyone when they trot out this slop and call it a schedule.  I'm amazed that you don't see the difference.

VU2014

Valpo is receiving AP Top 25 votes.

I'm going to be real honest and admit I don't think we're a true Top 25 team, but I'm still excited to see us getting respect.

https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/937723073859645440
https://twitter.com/LukeDeCock/status/937675908537831431

Luke DeCock's AP Top 25 basketball poll ballot: Week 4
BY LUKE DECOCK
DECEMBER 04, 2017 08:13 AM

Duke's still No. 1 and the core of the top 10 remains the same, minus Cincinnati. The biggest mover was Miami (after a good win at Minnesota) but I still have Virginia slightly ahead, as I have all season. I expect I'll remain higher on Nevada than other voters this week, although if Nevada beats Texas Tech and TCU this week, there will be no shortage of believers then.

And after erroneously voting Xavier 12th last week, the Musketeers rewarded my accidentally misplaced faith with big wins over Baylor and Cincinnati to move from 21st, where they should have been, to (a more appropriate) 15th. Cincinnati takes a big fall from fourth after losing to Xavier in the first tough game the Bearcats played. My faith in them was legitimately misplaced and it's tough to put them ahead of Xavier or Arizona State (which beat Xavier).

Valparaiso gets the nod at 25, which may be a week early; the 8-0 Crusaders will need to beat Purdue on Thursday to justify that position.

MY TOP 25

1. Duke (Last week: 1)
2. Kansas (2)
3. Villanova (3)
4. Michigan State (5)
5. Texas A&M (6)
6. Kentucky (8)
7. Florida (9)
8. Notre Dame (7)
9. North Carolina (10)
10. Wichita State (11)
11. Virginia (14)
12. Miami (17)
13. West Virginia (15)
14. Gonzaga (16)
15. Xavier (12*)
16. Seton Hall (21)
17. Nevada (19)
18. Arizona State (NR)
19. Cincinnati (4)
20. TCU (24)
21. Minnesota (20)
22. Tennessee (NR)
23. Baylor (13)
24. Purdue (NR)
25. Valparaiso (NR)

OUT: Louisville (18), Southern Cal (22), Alabama (23), Texas Tech (25)
*-Xavier was erroneously placed at 12 instead of 21 on my ballot last week.

Sports columnist Luke DeCock: 919-829-8947, ldecock@newsobserver.com, @Luke DeCock

UNIFTW

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 04, 2017, 10:24:47 AMImplying that I haven't been critical of this year's nonconference schedule. I've said constantly that Valpo needs to step it up and will continue to do so until they do. The OVERWHELMING majority of the fanbase feels this way. I personally have said many times that UNI is a template we can and should strive to emulate in as many ways as possible. But what you're missing here is context. There's a bit of a difference between Valpo scheduling a bit on the weaker side of things and freaking GEORGETOWN doing the same (their schedule has to be even weaker than ours). Valpo needs to do better we all acknowledge this but Georgetown a so-called blue blood absolutely deserves to be called out  by anyone and everyone when they trot out this slop and call it a schedule.  I'm amazed that you don't see the difference.
The reason given here, on social media, and MVCFans for the weak schedule has been new coach, lost best player, new players that are untested, etc...

How is that different than Georgetown?
New coach: Check - in fact he's never been a college coach at all, let alone a HC
New players: 2 of the top 7 players getting minutes at Georgetown are true freshman. Of the 5 returners they combined for 27 points per game last year. Gone from last years G'town team are the teams leading, second, 5th, 7th 8th and 9th scorers

While they may be a blue blood they were 14-18 last year and 15-18 the year before that. I'm not excusing their schedule, what I'm saying is it's hypocritical of a team who is using those reasons as the validation for the schedule that is in the bottom 25% of all D1 schedules to say that same reasoning also doesn't apply to another program in potential the same exact situation.

agibson

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 04, 2017, 10:24:47 AMThere's a bit of a difference between Valpo scheduling a bit on the weaker side of things and freaking GEORGETOWN doing the same (their schedule has to be even weaker than ours).

RPI (Warren Nolan) and KenPom give Georgetown the weakest schedule, to this point, in the country. At least on KenPom it's by a considerable margin weaker than anyone else. 351st. KenPom has Valpo at 316 and RPI has us at about 260.

VUGrad1314

It would be hypocritical of a person who actually made or supported the way Valpo scheduled to make these comments but I thought was weak and disappointing from the jump and so did most of VU's fanbase on here. There's very little hypocrisy among us fans.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2017, 10:47:02 AM
Valpo is receiving AP Top 25 votes.

I'm going to be real honest and admit I don't think we're a true Top 25 team, but I'm still excited to see us getting respect.

https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/937723073859645440

Nice! I'm not surprised that we're getting at least some looks, nationally. Are we really top 25? No, probably not. But, 8-0 makes us intriguing. Unfortunately, on the road against a top 25 is probably (a little) too tough of a test to be fair. But, let's enjoy it for a week. It's too bad we didn't get Northwestern first.

Osipoff seems to already have the coaches' poll, and we're not represented there, apparently not even receiving votes.

agibson

The coaches' poll makes it up on ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2018/week/5/seasontype/2

Boise State gets a vote.

Osipoff reports Purdue is 21/21.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on December 04, 2017, 11:51:16 AM
The coaches' poll makes it up on ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2018/week/5/seasontype/2

And there's the AP. Five points for Valpo! Not bad!

(Only four for Georgetown. None for Boise State in the AP. Valpo wasn't even "almost famous" for Seth Davis.)

(All 13 of the unbeaten teams are receiving votes in the AP poll. Georgetown the least. Looks like 10 of them are receiving votes in the coaches' poll.)

AranJacobs

With Purdue being ranked 21, I can't help but recall our success against teams ranked 21 in the past year. Rhode Island was ranked when 21 when they came to the ARC last year.

wh

Quote from: UNIFTW on December 04, 2017, 10:10:43 AM

Let's grab the crystal ball and find out where SOS is going to shake out at season's end:

Per http://www.rpiforecast.com/team.html

Better
SOS  Than
  47    87%     UNI
  57    84%     Illinois State
  77    78%     Indiana State
  84    76%     Evansville
101    71%     SIU
102    71%     Missouri State
109    69%     Loyola
114    67%     Valpo
115    67%     Drake
117    67%     Bradley

UNI's is exceptional among Mid Majors - only 4 non-P5/BE teams are higher.

Every team in the MVC is in the top one-third of all D-1 programs, and as good or better than many so-called mid-major powerhouses.  For example: Boise State's Expected SOS is 97; Gonzaga's is 110; St. Mary's is 136. 

This whole SOS hand wringing discussion this early in the season is much ado about nothing. It is what it is, and what it is isn't bad by any means. The MVC just needs to keep racking up wins and the rest will take care of itself.   

VU2014

Can someone tell @happeninghoops to chill on twitter? He's making a big fuss on twitter about the AP votes on twitter and getting into it with Mid-Madness over not being ranked higher in their polls. I'd like us to maintain our reputation of being a reasonable and intelligent fan-base. Mid-Madness just questioned if we are the next OU twitter... thats a comparison that we want to avoid...

The AP votes are nice but I don't actually think we're a Top 25 team. We still need to prove it against Purdue and Northwestern, before we start getting more national respect. Even if we look good against Purdue and Northwestern in potential losses, strong performances would go a long way in terms of getting national attention and respect.

It's ok to be excited but let's keep level heads.

valpo84

Adding to the G-Town discussion, G-Town followed the historic Big Least scheduling formula, go 10-1, 9-2 or better in the OOC part of the schedule and then you are playing lots of other conference schools following that same model and your RPIs will look better than other teams and you're "name recognition" will help you when you are on the bubble.  Syracuse, G-Town, ND and others had very low OOC SOS.  It is not dissimilar to BIG10 schools.  Part of this is you want to fill the bigger arenas in the major markets you play in with wins -- that makes everyone happy.  Capital One (and Capital Centre before that), MSG, Carrier Dome, etc.  Perusing G-Town OOC schedules under JTIII finds such fun schools in 13-14 as Wright St, Northeastern, Lipscomb, High Pt, Colgate, Elon and FIU or in 15-16 Radford, Bryant, UMES, Brown, UNC-W, Monmouth, UNC-A and Charlotte.  Or, how about 07-08 W&M, Ball St, ODU, Fairfield, J'ville, Radford, American and Fordham.  Now G-Town was in some nice tourneys, TV games and one-and-ones with Dukes and other high major schools but go 2-2 or even 1-3 in those and with a .500 record in Big Least, suddenly you are climbing off bubble if you win a home game against Syracuse, Louisville or ND.

The New Big East has changed that a bit.  JTIII's scheduling actually caught up to him (plus decline in recruiting).  There are different scheduling methods to enhance your RPI (which was the measuring stick).  That formula is very win focused plus your opponents record.  When 10-2 G-Town played 10-2 ND, no one is looking at their SOS for RPI.  One will be 10-3 and the other 11-2 with those records factoring into their overall RPI. 

If a Valpo has a 9-3 OOC but then starts playing the YSUs of the world (and worse in the old Mid-Con) with their 3-10 records, the RPI craters.  Hence, MVC raises our RPI not because of SOS, but because of the records of the other teams. We want everyone to have nice OOC records as much as whom they played.  With MVC, as long as folks schedule winnable records, it benefits the entire conference.  Other ranking systems are better because it does look at quality wins/losses. H/A, etc. 

I was never a fan of the old Big Least scheduling tactics but they were beating the system (and it often led to upsets that weren't really upsets).

Beat Northwestern, not because it's a BIG school, but because they will have a decent record (and the name looks good).  Lose to a UC-R and it's bad more because they will 10-18 on the season and that's what drags the RPI down.  Purdue is a good game if we have a good record whether we win or lose because it will boost the RPI.  Lose too many of those and then it doesn't matter.  Games against UNC or Duke in past years were actually better for the RPI.   
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUGrad1314

VU2014, The same thought went through my head. If I were on Twitter I would have said something. Dude needs to cool it. I appreciate his passion his knowledge and what he's building with his show and Twitter account but he's making the fanbase look bad  It's a terrible look for us on a widely-read national platform. 8-0 is great but let's be honest we haven't beaten anybody we shouldn't have yet and until we do we don't really deserve to be ranked too highly on any meaningful or substantial poll. Not all records are created equal. Once we earn that right with some top quality wins then we can revisit this discussion and the national outlets will likely be more amenable to listening to us.

agibson

Quote from: wh on November 27, 2017, 07:37:15 PM
Valpo is #8 in the new CollegeInsider.com poll. We jumped 10 spots in a week.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

Per tradition, since they don't archive them, here are last week's mid-major coaches poll results

Update: November 27th, 2017

RECORD   POINTS   PREVIOUS   
1.   Gonzaga (30)   5-1   774   1   West Coast
2.   Vermont   5-1   726   3   America East
3.   Saint Mary's (1)   5-2   715   2   West Coast
4.   UT Arlington   4-1   680   4   Sun Belt
5.   Albany   6-0   606   8   America East
6.   Belmont   4-2   581   6   Ohio Valley
7.   Loyola Chicago   7-0   505   17   Missouri Valley
8.   Valparaiso   7-0   484   18   Missouri Valley
9.   Charleston   4-2   453   4   Colonial
10.   BYU   4-2   429   10   West Coast
11.   Northern Kentucky   4-2   403   11   Horizon
12.   Louisiana   4-2   395   12   Sun Belt
13.   FGCU   5-2   378   13   Atlantic Sun
14.   South Dakota State   6-2   324   14   Summit
15.   Oakland   2-3   309   7   Horizon
16.   Mercer   5-2   294   16   Southern
17.   Georgia Southern   5-2   252   9   Sun Belt
18.   Missouri State   5-2   179   21   Missouri Valley
19.   Northern Iowa   5-2   166   NR   Missouri Valley
20.   Bucknell   3-4   148   NR   Patriot
21.   Furman   4-2   126   19   Southern
22.   Georgia State   4-2   122   20   Sun Belt
23.   Towson   5-1   89   NR   Colonial
24.   Eastern Michigan   5-1   88   22   Mid-American
25.   San Diego   5-0   85   NR   West Coast

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES: New Mexico State 70, Harvard 58, UNC Asheville 54, Bradley 44, Evansville 40, Toledo 44, Portland State 38, Buffalo 36, South Dakota 33, Grand Canyon 32, North Carolina A&T 31, Central Michigan 29, Illinois State 27, Tennessee Tech 26, Kent State 22, Stephen F. Austin 21, Princeton 19, Milwaukee 13, Rider 13, Monmouth 12, Akron 10, Bowling Green 9, Jacksonville State 8, UC Irvine 8, UC Santa Barbara 8, Drake 7, Iona 6, North Dakota 6, Yale 5, Utah Valley 5, Winthrop 4, ETSU 3, Northern Colorado 3, Navy 2, Wagner 2, Western Michigan 2, Idaho 1, Liberty 1, Murray State 1, San Francisco 1.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2017, 02:02:00 PM
https://twitter.com/MrMattCraig/status/937741223787458561

I can't tell if this means we're in his top 25. Or that he's just not going to list 11-25 until Friday.

The new mid-major madness is out too
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/12/4/16734834/mid-major-madness-power-rankings-boise-state-broncos-valparaiso-western-kentucky

With UNI still top-10, Missouri State vaulting over Loyola who holds about steady, and us entering behind Loyola.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2017, 02:02:00 PM
https://twitter.com/TheRealHalK/status/937777351198461952

Like Paul says, Elton Alexander from the Cleveland Plains Dealer has voted for us before. His comment about Mississippi State is a little distressing. Looks like that game was actually a home game for MS State, so arguably no better than our win over Utah State. Looking at schedules and some rankings it looks like Valpo vs. MS State could be considered a toss-up. I don't think he should feel bad for ranking us above them. But, we can prove it Thursday.

DeCock in North Carolina and Mansch from Montana may be new to the Valpo bandwagon.

agibson

Here's the update.

Valpo #5, with four Valley teams #15 and higher. And at least three others receiving consideration.

Update: December 4th, 2017

1.   Gonzaga (31)   7-1   775   1   West Coast
2.   UT Arlington   7-1   718   4   Sun Belt
3.   Saint Mary's   6-2   716   3   West Coast
4.   Vermont   6-2   677   2   America East
5.   Valparaiso   8-0   606   8   Missouri Valley
6.   Albany   8-1   595   5   America East
7.   BYU   6-2   552   10   West Coast
8.   Charleston   5-2   526   9   Colonial
9.   Loyola Chicago   8-1   457   7   Missouri Valley
10.   Northern Kentucky   6-2   429   11   Horizon
11.   Louisiana   6-2   420   12   Sun Belt
12.   Northern Iowa   4-2   384   19   Missouri Valley
13.   Oakland   5-3   323   15   Horizon
14.   Towson   8-1   317   23   Colonial
15.   Missouri State   7-2   313   18   Missouri Valley
16.   FGCU   6-3   291   13   Atlantic Sun
17.   Georgia Southern   6-2   267   17   Sun Belt
18.   Belmont   5-4   233   6   Ohio Valley
19.   South Dakota State   7-3   214   14   Summit
20.   Bucknell   4-5   184   20   Patriot
21.   Mercer   5-3   143   16   Southern
22.   Georgia State   5-2   135   22   Sun Belt
23.   Furman   5-3   86   21   Southern
24.   New Mexico State   6-1   80   NR   Western Athletic
25.   UC Davis   5-2   52   NR   Big West

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES: South Dakota 51, Stephen F Austin 50, Central Michigan 46, Portland State 39, Grand Canyon 38, UNC Asheville 31, Jacksonville State 27, Eastern Michigan 26, Harvard 26, Illinois State 26, San Diego 23, Toledo 21, UC Santa Barbara 19, Northern Colorado 17, Bowling Green 15, Bradley 13, Monmouth 13, Evansville 12, Akron 11, Lamar 10, Murray State 9, Troy 9, UC Irvine 9, Navy 6, Tennessee Tech 6, Elon 5, Iona 5, Utah Valley 5, Kent State 3, Winthrop 3, Ball State 2, Buffalo 2, Idaho 1, North Carolina A&T 1, Central Connecticut State 1, Wagner 1.

wh

Quote from: agibson on December 04, 2017, 05:52:31 PM
Here's the update.

Valpo #5, with four Valley teams #15 and higher. And at least three others receiving consideration.

Update: December 4th, 2017

1.   Gonzaga (31)   7-1   775   1   West Coast
2.   UT Arlington   7-1   718   4   Sun Belt
3.   Saint Mary's   6-2   716   3   West Coast
4.   Vermont   6-2   677   2   America East
5.   Valparaiso   8-0   606   8   Missouri Valley
6.   Albany   8-1   595   5   America East
7.   BYU   6-2   552   10   West Coast
8.   Charleston   5-2   526   9   Colonial
9.   Loyola Chicago   8-1   457   7   Missouri Valley
10.   Northern Kentucky   6-2   429   11   Horizon
11.   Louisiana   6-2   420   12   Sun Belt
12.   Northern Iowa   4-2   384   19   Missouri Valley
13.   Oakland   5-3   323   15   Horizon
14.   Towson   8-1   317   23   Colonial
15.   Missouri State   7-2   313   18   Missouri Valley
16.   FGCU   6-3   291   13   Atlantic Sun
17.   Georgia Southern   6-2   267   17   Sun Belt
18.   Belmont   5-4   233   6   Ohio Valley
19.   South Dakota State   7-3   214   14   Summit
20.   Bucknell   4-5   184   20   Patriot
21.   Mercer   5-3   143   16   Southern
22.   Georgia State   5-2   135   22   Sun Belt
23.   Furman   5-3   86   21   Southern
24.   New Mexico State   6-1   80   NR   Western Athletic
25.   UC Davis   5-2   52   NR   Big West

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES: South Dakota 51, Stephen F Austin 50, Central Michigan 46, Portland State 39, Grand Canyon 38, UNC Asheville 31, Jacksonville State 27, Eastern Michigan 26, Harvard 26, Illinois State 26, San Diego 23, Toledo 21, UC Santa Barbara 19, Northern Colorado 17, Bowling Green 15, Bradley 13, Monmouth 13, Evansville 12, Akron 11, Lamar 10, Murray State 9, Troy 9, UC Irvine 9, Navy 6, Tennessee Tech 6, Elon 5, Iona 5, Utah Valley 5, Kent State 3, Winthrop 3, Ball State 2, Buffalo 2, Idaho 1, North Carolina A&T 1, Central Connecticut State 1, Wagner 1.

It appears that a cross section of mid major coaches holds the Valpo program in higher esteem than some of its own fans.