• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman-Liberty Senior Year (HS)

Started by VU2014, December 02, 2017, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

The Morgan Park kid will probably be Mr Basketball in Illinois. Ayo Dosunmu or something like that. Real nice win!

vu72

Quote from: M on February 15, 2018, 07:04:02 PM
The Morgan Park kid will probably be Mr Basketball in Illinois. Ayo Dosunmu or something like that. Real nice win!

What win?  Javon?  How did he do?

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Freeman had 19pts and 9 boards I think I saw in the win for WY.

FieldGoodie05

I'd really like to put my blinders on and think he will be a monster out of the gate.  Most concerned with him playing through the very physical play / contact of the MVC.

Any guards of his stature exist in the new conference?  Ones that contribute on a regular basis?  We might need a few years of acclimatization to college in order to see him overcome these obstacles.

VU2014

Wiry guard can succeed in the MVC and at any most level if they have the talent. Jordan Barnes is 6 foot and no more the 150lbs. and he may be 1st team all mvc. Javon could stand to gain some muscle which I'm sure Derek Bol will help him with that. It appears he's pretty good at finishing through contact when he drives to the hoop. I don't want to put too many expectations on him next season but I'm really looking forward to seeing him play in a Crusader uniform. I think he's going to get big minutes next season at the the glaring hole at the 2 with Tevonn and Max graduating. I could see Daniel Sackey eventually playing big minutes at the 1 (if he's ready) and then sliding Bakari to the 2 at times.

valpo64

The next few years could be alot of fun!

VU2014

Simeon 64 Whitney Young 53
Javon Freeman led WY with 18 points.

NativeCheesehead

2017-18: Rebuild
2018-2019: Reload
2019-2020: Reclaim

ValpoDad89

FWalum

Nice that Javon got to see a good win in the ARC last night!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

NativeCheesehead

So can someone with a little more knowledge of the Valley than I fill me in on where JFL ranks as far as incoming freshman to the conference?

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 20, 2018, 10:59:03 PM
So can someone with a little more knowledge of the Valley than I fill me in on where JFL ranks as far as incoming freshman to the conference?

Verbal commits ranks our class the best (so far)  https://www.verbalcommits.com/conferences/missouri-valley

Individually, the highest ranked player is probably 4 Star AJ Green, ranked #2 in Iowa and signed by UNI. It is hard to evaluate other players other than their rank in individual states.  Javon is ranked #5 in Illinois, Drake has signed Messiah Jones, ranked #15 in Illinois, Loyola has signed Franklin Agunanne, ranked # 7 in Indiana.  I probably missed a few players but it looks like Javon would easily be in the top 5 in the conference, maybe higher.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 20, 2018, 10:59:03 PM

He's one of the better freshman coming but there are a ton of very talented freshman coming into the Valley next season.

It can't be emphasized enough that the Coaches need to keep the pedal to the metal and stack strong recruiting classes.

Valpo:
-Javon Freeman
-Daniel Sackey

UNI
-AJ Green (a stud 4-star PG who is also the son of UNI's associate head coach)

Indiana State:
-Cooper Neese RS FR (former Butler commit)
-Deavion Washington (former Valpo recruit. He's going to be a stud offensive player in the MVC one day)

MSU:
-Jared Ridder RS FR (another really talented kid. He's a former Xavier commit)

Illinois State:
- Dan Muller always recruits at a really high level.

Loyola:
-Landed a huge commitment from La Lumiere product Franklin Agunanne who is ranked as a 4 star by espn

SIU:
-landed a commit from one of the best players in Illinois in Darius Beane (assistant coaches son)
-Sam Shafer is a really underrated commit. He's a deadeye 3 point shooter. He's going to be a good player one day.

Bradley:
-I have no clue about their class but Wardle always recruits well.

Drake:
They have 6 freshman in their class. I know Kendle Moore and Messiah Jones are pretty good recruits from Illinois but no clue about the other 4.

Evansville:
I have absolutely no clue about their class. But Marty has a knack for finding studs like Dru Smith and Ryan Taylor but it hasn't translated to success the last few years.

talksalot

Quote from: VU2014 on February 21, 2018, 10:11:30 AMIllinois State:- Dan Muller always recruits at a really high level.

The Redbirds didn't have any seniors on their roster this year...so he can afford to be picky..."Finding an appropriate place for a current roster player while he gets ready to sign someone."

VU2014

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/971589564858060801

High-flying Javon Freeman steps up in the fourth quarter to lead Young past Lincoln Park
Michael O'Brien
mobrien@suntimes.com | @michaelsobrien
March 7 9:29 p.m.

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/03/07/young-lincoln-park-basketball/

SanityLost17

Over/Under -  JFL averaging 8 points per game his freshman year? 

vu72

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 08, 2018, 07:21:51 AM

Easy over. Tevonn averaged 10.3 his freshman year.

FWalum

QuoteYoung, the defending Class 4A state champions, will face Curie in the sectional title game on Friday. The Condors have a significant size advantage.

Would love to watch this game.  In the Fort Wayne area every game of this type is streamed, does anyone from the Chicago area know if this game will be available for viewing?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

swiftmutiny

Javon is looking more and more like he's going to be a special player. Can't wait to see him in a Valpo uniform.

VU2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 08, 2018, 07:21:51 AM

Too early to tell but it will come down to his defense. If he can defend at a high enough level he should get enough playing time to be able to average 10.3 ppg. I don't think it's a complete slam dunk he'll get 10.3 ppg but I wouldn't rule it out of the realm of possibility.

G Tywhon Pickford (UNI) made the all freshman team and only averaged 9.1 ppg, but UNI offense is a bit different so it's not a perfect comp. G Tyreke Key (ISUb) who also made the all freshman team and only averaged 8.3 ppg. Lucas Williamson averaged 4.8 ppg but was relied upon heavily this season for Loyola. Valley defenses are tough and will try to limit his strength which is slashing to the basket. I keep hearing JFL is going to be a stud, which I have no doubt he will be one day but he needs to work on his jump shot.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on March 08, 2018, 11:58:06 AMToo early to tell but it will come down his defense. If he can defend at a high enough level he should get enough playing time to be able to average 10.3 ppg. I don't think it's a complete slam dunk he'll get 10.3 ppg but I wouldn't rule it out of the realm of possibility.

Yes, Tevonn started from the get go his freshman year.  He was an offensive threat as the numbers show, but he was already an elite defender and that often does not show in the stats.  I really was amazed at watching him that first year because his defensive instincts were so good, and of course he is quick enough to stay in front of the shoulder. Javon has considerably more length than Tevonn and also seems to have the required quickness, it will be interesting to see if he has the instincts or can learn them in short fashion.