• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Drake Wednesday, January 10 at 7pm

Started by M, January 06, 2018, 06:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Quote from: a3uge on January 11, 2018, 07:35:34 AMWith that turnover in his only minute, Hazen now has the worst Player Efficiency Rating (-1.3) in all of D1 basketball,

and it's really toooo bad for Parker.  Matt told the guys to dribble out the shot clock with 33 seconds on the game... Parker happened to have the ball for the last 10 seconds of the clock and just handed the ball to the official with 3 seconds left in the game.  helluva way to get a turnover.

vusupporter

Parker's turnover was his first possession, a bad pass. The shot clock violation is listed as a team turnover in the PBP.

a3uge

Quote from: talksalot on January 11, 2018, 08:21:33 AM
Quote from: a3uge on January 11, 2018, 07:35:34 AMWith that turnover in his only minute, Hazen now has the worst Player Efficiency Rating (-1.3) in all of D1 basketball,

and it's really toooo bad for Parker.  Matt told the guys to dribble out the shot clock with 33 seconds on the game... Parker happened to have the ball for the last 10 seconds of the clock and just handed the ball to the official with 3 seconds left in the game.  helluva way to get a turnover.

That's not how his turnover happened. He threw it right to Drake with 45 seconds left while passing on the perimeter.

usc4valpo

I can take grief on my predictions when I am wrong. I am not furious and hope not to be a snowflake and pull a Ashley Wagner.

VU2014

We need M to start the UNI game thread to keep the good mojo going!  ;D

vu84v2

Three thoughts on last night's game:
1. Things are never as good or as bad as you think they are.
2. Bradford needs to be given instructions similar to Eric Buggs. Don't shoot unless you have a layup. Still, I am really impressed with how he is handling and passing the ball and the coaching staff has done a great job making changes in the offense to utilize that.
3. Max Joseph is playing his best basketball ever at Valpo.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 11, 2018, 09:51:14 AM
Three thoughts on last night's game:
1. Things are never as good or as bad as you think they are.
2. Bradford needs to be given instructions similar to Eric Buggs. Don't shoot unless you have a layup. Still, I am really impressed with how he is handling and passing the ball and the coaching staff has done a great job making changes in the offense to utilize that.
3. Max Joseph is playing his best basketball ever at Valpo.

It was interesting that Max did not even get much of a look (except major garbage time) until Matt took over.  As I recall some on the board wondered at the time if Max was signed just to get Tevonn.  But, one of the first things I remember Matt mentioning was that Max would be a contributor.  Amazing what a little confidence by a coach can do to bring out talent.

vusupporter

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 11, 2018, 09:51:14 AM
2. Bradford needs to be given instructions similar to Eric Buggs. Don't shoot unless you have a layup.

The funny thing is, up until a few games ago, you could have said the exact same thing about Max.

Valpo89

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 11, 2018, 10:00:53 AM

It was interesting that Max did not even get much of a look (except major garbage time) until Matt took over.  As I recall some on the board wondered at the time if Max was signed just to get Tevonn.  But, one of the first things I remember Matt mentioning was that Max would be a contributor.  Amazing what a little confidence by a coach can do to bring out talent.
[/quote]
I don't think you can blame Bryce for not playing Max. He was about the 9th or 10th best player on deep teams. You knew he had the body to be a big contributor at some point if he developed a shooting touch. He's finally coming through.

VU2014

The last 2 postgame press conferences have by far been the most happy this season. Lot's of smiles from the players and Coach Lottich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdz3d35lHfg&t=0s

VULB#62

Not blaming Bryce.  Praising Matt.  He could have kept Max bunched with the end of the bench guys, but recognized his potential right away. 

covufan

Great game!  Good to see this team develop after a horrific 4 weeks.  They seem to have found their roles, and are more effective.  Hope that it continues.

The next two road games will give us a good indicator of where this team is in the MVC.  We need to take one of these games, especially after the 0-3 start.  If we play as well as the last two games, both games are in play.  UNI starting out 0-5 will be very tough. 

Just Sayin

Dang, I had to miss watching this game.

valpo84

Assuming the Tom Davis discussed above is not Dr Tom Davis (former Iowa and Drake coach) delivering sour grapes.... (SI) 8-)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 11, 2018, 10:12:31 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on January 11, 2018, 10:00:53 AM

I don't think you can blame Bryce for not playing Max. He was about the 9th or 10th best player on deep teams. You knew he had the body to be a big contributor at some point if he developed a shooting touch. He's finally coming through.
[/quote]

In part, that's due to his youth at the time under Bryce undoubtedly.

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on January 11, 2018, 07:35:34 AM
With that turnover in his only minute, Hazen now has the worst Player Efficiency Rating (-1.3) in all of D1 basketball, passing a couple of MEAC and SWAC players. It's common sense how one of the worst performing players in D1 isn't getting minutes.
Not calling out anyone in particular, but can we please stop piling on Parker Hazen, let the kid have a little breathing room.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum on January 11, 2018, 12:51:26 PM
With that turnover in his only minute, Hazen now has the worst Player Efficiency Rating (-1.3) in all of D1 basketball, passing a couple of MEAC and SWAC players. It's common sense how one of the worst performing players in D1 isn't getting minutes.
Not calling out anyone in particular, but can we please stop piling on Parker Hazen, let the kid have a little breathing room.
That was more of a rebuttal to the Tom Davis tweet, but yeah, we're probably beating a dead horse with the Hazen situation.

M

I've only watched the first half so far on replay, going to catch the rest this evening....but wow!  Walker, Joseph and Evelyn were red hot from the field.  Big guys playing well.  Micah was a positive even though his shots weren't falling.  I didn't see any bonehead Mileek fouls either.  Good stuff!

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on January 11, 2018, 01:11:47 PM
That was more of a rebuttal to the Tom Davis tweet, but yeah, we're probably beating a dead horse with the Hazen situation.
When  I watch this kid warm up, shoot, dribble, pass, pivot, sprint, etc; he looks like somebody that has the tools. Obviously the members of our coaching staff reached the same conclusion or we would not have offered. I wouldn't be shocked if this isn't another overnight but maybe less spectacular turnaround.

Just remember that 2 weeks ago we were ready to abandon Derrik and Micah to the furthest end of the bench and deport Jay back to Spain. Things can change in a hurry and sometimes you can never figure out why.

vu72

Quote from: M on January 11, 2018, 01:39:50 PM
I've only watched the first half so far on replay, going to catch the rest this evening....but wow!  Walker, Joseph and Evelyn were red hot from the field.  Big guys playing well.  Micah was a positive even though his shots weren't falling.  I didn't see any bonehead Mileek fouls either.  Good stuff!

Not sure when they occurred, but there were a few.  Markus had a couple and Bakari did as well.  These touch fouls after a kid has let his shot go are just dumb.  As for Micah, the key in my estimation is to make  hum more then a guy who comes in the choke up shots.  When he is in the game he is the primary ball handler and point guard with Bakari slipping over to the 2.  The result is a new found value and 11 assists in 2 games.  Great coaching.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Oh I agree...although those guys look like they've never committed a foul in their lives with their reactions.  I was mostly pointing out that Mileek, who typically seems to have a silly foul called on him every game, hadn't committed one in the first half.

I just finished the second half.  He didn't commit any silly fouls then either!

VU2014

I'm reserving judgement on Parker and the rest of the freshman this season. My gut says it's mental with him. It seems that he hasn't adjusted to the speed of the college game yet.

But I'd really like to hear from Paul on his thoughts on Parker Hazen because he recently sat in on a practice. Paul, when you were at practice how did Parker look? Is he practicing like he's playing in in-game situations? I was wondering how he looks in practice because that could be very telling.

I remember Paul mentioning that he saw him make something like 10 3's in a row in practice once. I can't remember the last game I saw him shoot a long-range jumpshot but I remember it didn't look pretty. His mechanics looked completely unnecessarily rushed. I remember a moment in the Bradley game where he had the opportunity for a wide open look with clock running down but he didn't take it which clearly means he didn't have his confidence.

valpopal

Like everyone else, I appreciated seeing Smits and Sorolla becoming more aggressive in their offense. Both dunked the ball, though Sorolla did miss one easy shot by not dunking. Also, although Smits got called for an offensive foul on his spin to the basket and the points were disallowed, that too was the result of an aggressive offensive move where the defender's head happened to be at the level of Derrik's elbow. And as in the last game, once again despite being more aggressive, they did not have foul trouble—the two only accumulated four fouls between them.

Pgmado

Quote from: VU2014 on January 11, 2018, 02:51:35 PMBut I'd really like to hear from Paul on his thoughts on Parker Hazen because he recently sat in on a practice. Paul, when you were at practice how did Parker look? Is he practicing like he's playing in in-game situations? I was wondering how he looks in practice because that could be very telling.

I remember Paul mentioning that he saw him make something like 10 3's in a row in practice once. I can't remember the last game I saw him shoot a long-range jumpshot but I remember it didn't look pretty. His mechanics looked completely unnecessarily rushed. I remember a moment in the Bradley game where he had the opportunity for a wide open look with clock running down but he didn't take it which clearly means he didn't have his confidence.

I've seen Parker hit a bunch of 3's in a row during his own workouts. The media gets to see the warmup part of practice, but we don't have access to the bulk of practice, which is just fine by me. Remember that he's a freshman...a freshman who went from a junior year when his team was loaded with seniors to a senior year when he was the only guy with varsity experience. He's got the work ethic, time will tell on the rest. I'm sure the confidence is rattled, but watch him on the bench during games. He's the biggest supporter of his teammates. I've never seen him sulk, I've only seen the guy do everything he can to be a good teammate and eventually contribute.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Pgmado on January 11, 2018, 03:39:28 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 11, 2018, 02:51:35 PMBut I'd really like to hear from Paul on his thoughts on Parker Hazen because he recently sat in on a practice. Paul, when you were at practice how did Parker look? Is he practicing like he's playing in in-game situations? I was wondering how he looks in practice because that could be very telling.

I've seen Parker hit a bunch of 3's in a row during his own workouts. The media gets to see the warmup part of practice, but we don't have access to the bulk of practice, which is just fine by me. Remember that he's a freshman...a freshman who went from a junior year when his team was loaded with seniors to a senior year when he was the only guy with varsity experience. He's got the work ethic, time will tell on the rest. I'm sure the confidence is rattled, but watch him on the bench during games. He's the biggest supporter of his teammates. I've never seen him sulk, I've only seen the guy do everything he can to be a good teammate and eventually contribute.

He's engaged and I'm excited for his future!  Thanks for your input