• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chairback

Quote from: Chairback on October 12, 2018, 09:22:25 PMhe season ticket night was a dull event. Not much planning went into it to make it fun.  A very seasoned crowd.  It's like they had it to just have it.    Here are my 2 cents:-I don't have the enthusiasm for the team that I had after seeing them at this "practice".  They seem to lack a leader.  They look just average.  Almost a mix up of players who haven't found their way anywhere else and ended up at Valpo. - Sackey is fast but his shoot is below average-Mileek looks like the best player on the court.  Kid looks focused.  excited to see him progress.   -Javon should start.  -stalling has an awkward odd looking shot.  Almost like he was never taught how to shoot correctly.  I can't see him getting any PT ever. -if our bigs have another season like last year we are in trouble.

I took a lot of heat from this post and my other "observations" post from the dinner practice.  If you just watched the level of talent you could tell.  I've been turned off the whole season for various reasons.  It's going to be very interesting to see how things go with Evelyn....kudos to Kiser..

oklahomamick

Surely we don't lose the Indiana St. for the 3rd time this year.
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Just thinking out loud but if Smits had gone down in the Bradley game instead of Fazekas and the injury missed games were switched what would be our final record?  Better?  Worse?  Same?

Quote from: chairback on March 02, 2019, 05:45:05 PMkudos to Kiser..

Of all our players Kiser has delivered the fewest disappointments.

M

^^not th best time for this post as Chesterton drops Valpo after losing to Valpo by 25+ a week or so ago.

NativeCheesehead

Good morning all!

Had a horrible dream last night that we got swept by the worst team in the conference and are playing in the Thursday night games again. Whew! What a nightmare. Glad that's over. What time do we play on Friday?

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2019, 08:50:41 PM
Surely we don't lose the Indiana St. for the 3rd time this year.

Who's Shirley? And if you remember it's been proven that when a team is beaten twice during the regular/conf. season the majority of the time they get beat a third time in the postseason/tourney. We just don't remember the uneventful times.

bbtds

Quote from: M on March 03, 2019, 09:09:52 AM
^^not th best time for this post as Chesterton drops Valpo after losing to Valpo by 25+ a week or so ago.

When can we hire the Chesterton coach? His elementary teams at halftime are pretty good too.

bbtds

Quote from: chairback on March 02, 2019, 05:45:05 PMI took a lot of heat from this post and my other "observations" post from the dinner practice

Well at least you were warm that day. When will this cold ever end?

vu72

Not that we could have won the National Championship, but imagine what the team might have been if Ryan was healthy and we still had Joe Burton.  Granted, it was at a NAIA school, but, Joe shot 41.9%  (26 of 62)from the 3 and 79.2% from the line.  Oh well. We tried...Anyway, Joe only played in 15 games out of 32, so maybe he flunked out of Georgetown College also!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Idk how eligibility works but maybe he wasn't eligible the first half of the season?

humbleopinion

Quote from: M on March 14, 2019, 06:43:51 AM
Idk how eligibility works but maybe he wasn't eligible the first half of the season?

A quick look at the stats indicate that he didn't start playing until January, so it seems that he wasn't eligible until that time.
Beamin' Beacons

GoldenCrusader87

I read some of the comments college athletes make via posts on social media .... like, when they're announcing a transfer. And, I can't help but to notice some of their inabilities to construct simple sentences and/or spell simple words correctly. Do I care? Not really. Not my job. Why bring it up? Because it makes me wonder ... there's no way some of these athletes are stellar students and yet they find a way to stay eligible. Chosen majors, for instance likely play a role and the university's academic standards/policies. But, Valpo really isn't *that* elite or selective of a school. Just to be honest. Fall 2017 acceptance rate: 84%, for instance. Not like we're the Harvard of the Midwest lol.

NativeCheesehead

First off, I would highly doubt you can judge someone's intelligence based on social media posts. Both my daughters get very good grades and they post stuff that seems like a foreign language to me.

Second, every school has majors that are tougher compared to others, especially bigger ones. Purdue has produced a large number of NASA employees. They've also produced three guys who worked sorting mail in the office building I used to work in. 

GoldenCrusader87

I read some of the comments college athletes make via posts on social media .... like, when they're announcing a transfer. And, I can't help but to notice some of their inabilities to construct simple sentences and/or spell simple words correctly. Do I care? Not really. Not my job. Why bring it up? Because it makes me wonder ... there's no way some of these athletes are stellar students and yet they find a way to stay eligible. Chosen majors, for instance likely play a role and the university's academic standards/policies. But, Valpo really isn't *that* elite or selective of a school. Just to be honest. Fall 2017 acceptance rate: 84%, for instance. Not like we're the Harvard of the Midwest lol.

JD24

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 14, 2019, 11:54:49 AMI read some of the comments college athletes make via posts on social media .... like, when they're announcing a transfer. And, I can't help but to notice some of their inabilities to construct simple sentences and/or spell simple words correctly. Do I care? Not really. Not my job. Why bring it up? Because it makes me wonder ... there's no way some of these athletes are stellar students and yet they find a way to stay eligible. 
You cannot draw the conclusion you do based on social media posts.

chairback

Quote from: chairback on March 02, 2019, 05:45:05 PMIt's going to be very interesting to see how things go with Evelyn....kudos to Kiser..

So at the end of the last home game Evelyn thru a fit and rushed past his teammates and headed into the locker room before Deion's speech.  He was throwing a attitude fit and basically came across as he's done and acting like nothing was his fault.  Kiser ran back to the locker room hollering at him and called him out and asked him what is he doing.  Evelyn came back out.  No matter what his on court abilities are we are lucky to have John Kiser.  I will support no matter what team we have if this kid is on the roster.

There were a lot of signs thru the season this team had issues.  Not listening to ML, mysterious 1 game injuries, starting line up changes over and over....

VULB#62

Chairback, aren't you the same Chairback that's been contributing for years?  Why are you now a "Recruit" with only 1 post?