• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 13, 2018, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmosmithfan1

I'm not sure where everyone thought he was going. There haven't been any "bigger" jobs open for a few weeks now, so it's been pretty clear he was staying. I have no illusions that this is forever, but I'm sure the deal will still have a hefty buyout after next year which will help ward off all but the elite-level P5 openings. Prediction: Moser's in Rogers Park for at least two more seasons.

VU2014

Quote from: JD24 on April 25, 2018, 05:25:20 PM
Porter Moser re-ups.

I'd like to know how much he's making. He was making $420k last season. They didn't disclose the contract details.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 26, 2018, 03:43:16 PM
Porter Moser re-ups.

I'd like to know how much he's making. He was making $420k last season. They didn't disclose the contract details.

How about you announcing your salary details to everyone on here. We are very curious.

See. It's not always the easiest thing to discuss your personal salary.

I don't blame anyone who doesn't work for an institution that pays it's salaries through government monies not wanting to discuss their salary.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on April 27, 2018, 06:31:08 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 26, 2018, 03:43:16 PM
Porter Moser re-ups.

How about you announcing your salary details to everyone on here. We are very curious.

See. It's not always the easiest thing to discuss your personal salary.

I don't blame anyone who doesn't work for an institution that pays it's salaries through government monies not wanting to discuss their salary.

VU2014 I'd also be curious.  We easily offend bbtds delicate sensibilities 😉

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on April 27, 2018, 06:31:08 AMSee. It's not always the easiest thing to discuss your personal salary.

On this board we care nothing about your hand size or any of the other Republican debate measurements. But---- if you could provide us with your and Trumps recent tax returns it would be very helpful. OK you can redact your name and address but not your Adjusted Gross Income.

VU2014

I'm mainly interested in Moser's salary because it may set a bench mark for coaching salaries in the conference. I believe we may eventually find out because of public tax filings and it may just leak regardless.

valpo64

Let's let time be the judge on the coaching ability and consistent recruiting ability of Porter Moser.  One hot season does not make a coach's career.  A few years ago I believe there were people calling for his departure.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on April 27, 2018, 09:04:40 AM
Quote from: bbtds on April 27, 2018, 06:31:08 AMSee. It's not always the easiest thing to discuss your personal salary.

On this board we care nothing about your hand size or any of the other Republican debate measurements. But---- if you could provide us with your and Trumps recent tax returns it would be very helpful. OK you can redact your name and address but not your Adjusted Gross Income.

My Adjusted Gross Income has very little to do with the salary that actually goes into my bank account. Too many travel expenses.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 27, 2018, 10:05:21 AM
I'm mainly interested in Moser's salary because it may set a bench mark for coaching salaries in the conference. I believe we may eventually find out because of public tax filings and it may just leak regardless.

I have little doubt that it will be exposed much like the antics in Moscow of a businessman soon-to-be politician with "pros."

VU2014

Let's keep on topic. Please and thank you.

VUGrad1314

YES! There's that Valpo culture! We're in good hands going forward especially if Freeman-Liberty and Sackey pick up on these habits. Would love to hear what Smits and Sorolla (two men in perhaps the most desperate need of offseason workouts) are doing.

VU2014

I've heard Sackey is absolute work horse. His twitter bio is "Suffer to Gain". Some true words. Not sure how much stock we can put in a twitter bio but I've heard great things about his work ethic. JFL also seems to be a basketball junkie.

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 30, 2018, 04:35:22 PM
Would love to hear what Smits and Sorolla (two men in perhaps the most desperate need of offseason workouts) are doing.

I hope these 2 gentleman hit the training table hard. Sorolla needs to learn to play with some aggression in his game. Hopefully both have great summers, because we need them two. Smits needs to work on that defense, so Coach can trust him late in close games. Smits offensive game was really coming into his own towards the end of the season.

VUGrad1314

Missouri State is really filling out their class well. Should be very talented. Need to get busy or we may be in for another tough year.

VUGrad1314

Per a post on MVCFans Loyola bought out of their previous tournament and will now play in the Suncoast Classic against Richmond and one of Boston College or Wyoming. That's a big improvement over what they were in

VUGrad1314

I was just looking at Blogging the Bracket and I can't help but wonder if maybe I've found our third opponent from last year's Sweet 16: Nevada. It shows that they're set to play a neutral site game in LA. Could that be us? Or are we going to try to get them to come to the ARC as part of their game @Loyola? Either way it'd be a great get. I also wonder if we're targeting Clemson since we'll be in South Carolina anyway.

VULB#62

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 01, 2018, 03:19:48 PM
Per a post on MVCFans Loyola bought out of their previous tournament and will now play in the Suncoast Classic against Richmond and one of Boston College or Wyoming. That's a big improvement over what they were in

Would we buy out a tournament slot?

VUGrad1314

Certainly not the one we're in this year.

VULB#62

My point was do we even hsve the $$$$$?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 01, 2018, 08:07:06 PM
My point was do we even hsve the $$$$$?

I'm pretty sure there is plenty of money in the men's basketball budget.  In the past we have bought in to post season tourneys.  If it made economic sense Mark would go for it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

More from MVCFANS: Evansville will be playing @Xavier this year and also will be hosting Murray State. Coach McCarty was serious about scheduling better. Good for the Aces and their fans. I'm very happy for them!

VULB#62

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 03, 2018, 03:54:25 PM
More from MVCFANS: Evansville will be playing @Xavier this year and also will be hosting Murray State. Coach McCarty was serious about scheduling better. Good for the Aces and their fans. I'm very happy for them!

Question:  Scheduling UP is good. But scheduling blow out losses is bad, right ? (Refer to Oakland's insane OOC sacrificial buy games.)  Is McCarty's scheduling really a positive, or might it come back to bite. RPI guys, what do you think?

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 03, 2018, 07:12:41 PM

Question:  Scheduling UP is good. But scheduling blow out losses is bad, right ? (Refer to Oakland's insane OOC sacrificial buy games.)  Is McCarty's scheduling really a positive, or might it come back to bite. RPI guys, what do you think?
It'll help their RPI, but not ours. We want our conference opponents to have a decent OOC W/L percentage. Evansville isn't a top 50 calibar team next year, so them scheduling harder is not good for the conference.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 03, 2018, 07:12:41 PM

Scheduling unwinnable games in droves is simply silly.  Though we have quite a few tough games on the schedule so far with our unproven squad, so I'm not casting stones here.

I'm not entirely convinced the dip in attendance numbers (home) is as much to do with our opponents as it has to do with A) off peak hours/days and B) general lack of student engagement trending this way over time.

I still need convincing that the current NCAA wants any mid-major conference to get at large bids.  So I say schedule D-1 teams at the ARC on convenient days/times to buoy the attendance and engagement.

VULB#62

Thanks guys. I kinda thought that was the case.   Scheduling as a mid-major is not an art, it is a science (with a great deal of divine guidance playing a part).