• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Financing AC in the ARC

Started by historyman, July 11, 2018, 11:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

I don't know how it could be any clearer. We are not, nor have been at any time recently, "strapped for funding". Athletic spending is just not a priority. Sure, been more lip service in that direction under this admin. But words are wind.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on July 16, 2018, 07:23:28 AM
I don't know how it could be any clearer. We are not, nor have been at any time recently, "strapped for funding". Athletic spending is just not a priority. Sure, been more lip service in that direction under this admin. But words are wind.

I've been impatient with the pace of upgrades, but let's be fair: There's also been a lot more DONE under this administration; ESPECIALLY in the year since we joined the MVC. Facility upgrades--particularly  those of the magnitude needed by the ARC, and indeed by the athletic complex as a whole, take time. After all, they've got a year's worth of athletic events to plan those repairs and upgrades around. Let's fix what we can first like  while keeping an eye toward\raising for bigger projects. As long as I continue to see meaningful progress, I will remain patient and hopeful. We fans just need to keep doing our part through donations and ticket\merchandise sales and hope that one of us hits it big somehow.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 16, 2018, 07:38:34 AM

I've been impatient with the pace of upgrades, but let's be fair: There's also been a lot more DONE under this administration; ESPECIALLY in the year since we joined the MVC. Facility upgrades--particularly  those of the magnitude needed by the ARC, and indeed by the athletic complex as a whole, take time. After all, they've got a year's worth of athletic events to plan those repairs and upgrades around. Let's fix what we can first like  while keeping an eye toward\raising for bigger projects. As long as I continue to see meaningful progress, I will remain patient and hopeful. We fans just need to keep doing our part through donations and ticket\merchandise sales and hope that one of us hits it big somehow.

Agree.  I just heard a report on a study of students living in dorms with and without AC.  The study, administered in the morning, showed that students living in 80 degree heat versus 71 degrees had an 11-13% decrease in cognitive awareness, responsiveness and retention.  Somehow I think the dorms might just be a higher priority. Alumni, Brandt and Lankenau remain without AC.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on July 16, 2018, 08:55:39 AM

Agree.  I just heard a report on a study of students living in dorms with and without AC.  The study, administered in the morning, showed that students living in 80 degree heat versus 71 degrees had an 11-13% decrease in cognitive awareness, responsiveness and retention.  Somehow I think the dorms might just be a higher priority. Alumni, Brandt and Lankenau remain without AC.

Are they planning on renovating the freshman dorms or do they plan to build new dorms? Alumni, Brandt and Lankenau had to be absolute money pits when I was a freshman. Something was always broken and they kept fixing the same things.

The dorms will be the first priority. But I'd imagine the ARC AC addition will need to be funded via gifted donation.

historyman

Quote from: VU2014 on July 16, 2018, 09:28:49 AMThe dorms will be the first priority. But I'd imagine the ARC AC addition will need to be funded via gifted donation.

And this is where you can be the messengers for the University by getting word of mouth out to your friends, neighborbors and relatives about Valpo's athletic dept needs such as the
AC for the ARC fund and have them mail their checks to:

In care of
Kris Sanders, Administrative Asst.
Athletics Recreation Center
1009 Union Street
Valparaiso, IN 46383

Have them put AC for the ARC on the memo line or designate the check in some way to this fund.
The checks can be made out to Valparaiso University.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on July 16, 2018, 09:28:49 AM
Quote from: vu72 on July 16, 2018, 08:55:39 AM

Are they planning on renovating the freshman dorms or do they plan to build new dorms? Alumni, Brandt and Lankenau had to be absolute money pits when I was a freshman. Something was always broken and they kept fixing the same thing

The dorms will be the first priority. But I'd imagine the ARC AC addition will need to be funded via gifted donation.

I don't think they have made that decision yet.  We'll probably know more when things start happening with Scheele.  The problem or issue is that those dorms are built like a bomb shelter.  They aren't about to fall over, so renovations most likely would be far less expensive.  They certainly aren't the most attractive things but they functional.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

It's days like today when not having AC negatively impacts our Athletics Programs.

https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3/status/1034193156152143874

VUGrad1314

How is this campaign going? Anybody know?