• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

NativeCheesehead

It's also the imbalance in transfers in vs out. We seem to lose key contributors each year and the guys that transfer in aren't balancing that out. Clayton Custer transferred IN to Loyola, and Drake's whole team under this coach is built on transfers IN to the program.

Recruiting isn't just done in high school. And to be fair to Lottich he's brought some guys in from P5's. They just haven't really become key contributors.

vok22

We have, what, 2 or 3 open scholarships now. What I would be looking for is a Deion Lavender type point guard to come in and bring really solid overall play and a veteran presence at the one. With one of the other scholarships I would like to see a guy that can rebound and defend the paint. I'd be more flexible with that big guy because I know that isn't really the style our game-plan is centered around. But I think those two additions along with the freshmen coming in would make a respectable more consistent team that also has a bright future.

valpotx

We need to be fair to Mileek, guys.  He was very good last season, and showed tremendous improvement from his FR to JR seasons.  The ONLY reason that he took a step backwards this season, is that he was playing hurt ALL season.  The only reason I say that he is not a loss, is because he was expected to graduate and be done anyways, so it would have been a bonus if he came back to play for a fifth full season.  I very much like Mileek, he is a Valpo guy, and I hope that he gets his Valpo degree, before finding great success as a Grad Transfer next season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo95

Perhaps someone can answer this question:

How many players who put their names in the transfer portal end up transferring?

The transfer portal has certainly increased the visibility for players who might be interested in a transfer, and the numbers taking this option have dramatically increased. Yet at least some might end up back at their original teams, and/or withdraw their names from the portal.

JD24

Part of the transfer portal "problem" is that it has become the thing to do. It's the college version of the obnoxious high schooler putting on the hat on NSD. Very much a "look at me I'm important" type of situation. So a player unhappy for nearly any reason announces that he's in the portal to allow him to feel better about himself.

Frankly, it is effin annoying and that is not at all a Valpo thing on my part. However Valpo must learn to play the game the players are playing and they need to play it better.

Basically, every year every teams roster must be re-recruited in its entirety.

crusader05

https://twitter.com/nwioren/status/1370481202382172163?s=21

Not sure if I saw this posted here. So that's one "extra". Curious about Morgan as I feel like he has finally started to come into his own.

Just Sayin

Quote from: JD24 on March 13, 2021, 09:40:52 AM
Part of the transfer portal "problem" is that it has become the thing to do. It's the college version of the obnoxious high schooler putting on the hat on NSD. Very much a "look at me I'm important" type of situation. So a player unhappy for nearly any reason announces that he's in the portal to allow him to feel better about himself.

Frankly, it is effin annoying and that is not at all a Valpo thing on my part. However Valpo must learn to play the game the players are playing and they need to play it better.

Basically, every year every teams roster must be re-recruited in its entirety.

I don't see the same trend we are seeing at Valpo of losing starters at Loyola. The new transfer rules don't seem to be affecting them. Wonder why.

mj

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 13, 2021, 10:19:58 AMI don't see the same trend we are seeing at Valpo of losing starters at Loyola. The new transfer rules don't seem to be affecting them. Wonder why.

I've been hard on Lottich in the past but I'm not going to hold this against him. The NCAA has allowed the transfer bug to spread unchecked and mid majors across the board are being decimated. I think Loyola is the exception rather than the rule.
I believe that we will win.

Just Sayin

Quote from: mj on March 13, 2021, 10:37:27 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 13, 2021, 10:19:58 AMI don't see the same trend we are seeing at Valpo of losing starters at Loyola. The new transfer rules don't seem to be affecting them. Wonder why.

I've been hard on Lottich in the past but I'm not going to hold this against him. The NCAA has allowed the transfer bug to spread unchecked and mid majors across the board are being decimated. I think Loyola is the exception rather than the rule.

I don't see very many teams who have had transfers of their starters or sig contributors bailing en masse for reasons other than a coaching change. Valpo has six in the transfer portal this year and several since the new transfer rules. I would venture to say that there are not many teams in any conference, mid or major, who have that many transfers excluding coaching changes and "not enough playing time" as the reason for the transfers. There definitely is something rotten within the Valpo coaching staff to have that many disgruntled contributors.

GoldenCrusader87

I've been off the grid a bit and out of the loop. Haven't posted on here this season but did watch all season. Wasn't healthy for me to be so negative about things and so forth when I recognized it doesn't really matter how I feel in the big scope of things.

That said, just wondering — was I see a lot of comments about having ML as our coach for 3 more years. Did he officially sign a contract extension? Assuming so based on these comments but just didn't know. I know it's a private school so details are known but just curious.

Hope everyone is well. Been a rough year in our world. 

Just Sayin

From "Mens Mid Major Top 25" collegeinsider.com Ranking and the number of players in the transfer portal:

1. Gonzaga 0
2. Loyola Chi 0
3. Winthrop 0
4. BYU  0
5. Drake 0
6. Liberty 0
7. Morehead State 0
8. Southern Utah 1
9. Toledo 1
10. Belmont 0
11. Abilene Christian 0
12. GA State 0
13. UCSB 0
14. Sam Houston 0
15. UNCG 1
16. E. Washington 0
17. Wright State  0
18. S. Dakota St. 1
19. Buffalo 1
20. Colgate 2
21. Texas St. 0
22. E. KY 3
23. Akron 0
24. Weber St. 0
25. Prairie View 0
26. Missouri State 0
27. Cleveland St. 0
28. Furman 0
29. St. Mary's 0
30. Wofford 3
31. Kent St. 2
32. Navy 1
33. Vermont 2
34. Ohio 0
35. Grand Canyon 0
36. Loyola Marymount 1
37. Norfolk St. 0
38. Pepperdine 1
39. UC Irvine 0
40. Stephen F. Austin 1
41. UC Riverside 1
42. Bryant 1
43. Utah Valley 0
44. Bowling Green 1
45. Nicholls St. 1
46. Louisiana 0
47. Siena 2
48. Jackson St. 0
49. N. Alabama 1
50. UMBC 2
51. Mercer 1
52. Pacific 0

Valpo: 6

justducky

I'm going to dumb this down for every college basketball player who is considering this year as a great year to explore for a transfer.

Just imagine D-1 basketball as being a 12' python with a fixed annual appetite approximating 2,310,000 available minutes.  (Approx 350 teams X 33 games X 200 minutes per game)   Relaxation of the redshirt transfer rules already had this serpent better fed than it ever had been. Then the NCAA covid ruling expands the potential food supply from 4,550 players (350 teams X 13 scholarships) to 5,688 (which is a 25% increase to the 4,550 base number) So picture this constrictor as just having swallowed a medicine ball sized turkey of mature talents (seniors with added eligibility).  :o 

So we now have Siggy, Nick, Mileek, Daniel, Donovan and thousands of others testing fate to see if the monster is still hungry. That pot of gold just over the horizon is more likely to be a rusted tin cup for most.

valpotx

Good to see that Gordon is going to use the extra year to pursue/finish a graduate degree, and stay at Valpo.  Seems like a kid that has a good head on his shoulders, and has his moments of good play.  I think that he had an off-year shooting the 3, as he seems to be capable of being closer to 35-40%.  We needed a veteran leader, and this gives us such a guarantee.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

The only transfers that can be used to compare and contrast Valpo to other D-1 programs are Donovan, Siggy, and Daniel. A non-scholarship player announcing he wants to transfer is meaningless beyond description. As to this silly 5th year NCAA nanny state cluster fxxk, there are over 1000 players that could opt for another year. Some will, some won't (likely the majority). What if Nick and Mileek had simply chosen to get on with their lives. No one would have given that a second thought. But because they decided to extend their college career and want to do it where they can be a bigger cog in the wheel, that's somehow a negative reflection on Matt Lottich? Uh, no. For the same reason, our transfer number can't be compared to anyone else's transfer number. No one on this board has the slightest idea what to make of anyone else's players' decisions.

wh

Quote from: valpotx on March 13, 2021, 01:08:59 PM
Good to see that Gordon is going to use the extra year to pursue/finish a graduate degree, and stay at Valpo.  Seems like a kid that has a good head on his shoulders, and has his moments of good play.  I think that he had an off-year shooting the 3, as he seems to be capable of being closer to 35-40%.  We needed a veteran leader, and this gives us such a guarantee.

What if Eron had decided instead to take his diploma and move forward on his life's journey? Would that have been Matt Lottich's fault? Just asking for a friend.

RS

Good points wh. Even if Nick and Mileek wanted to stay along with Eron and Zion do really think Valpo would have payed for extra scholarship players. I don't think so. With Aron staying Valpo will have at least one player to lead the younger players into the riggers of college basketball.

JD24

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 13, 2021, 12:01:22 PMFrom "Mens Mid Major Top 25" collegeinsider.com Ranking and the number of players in the transfer portal: 1. Gonzaga 0 2. Loyola Chi 0 3. Winthrop 0 4. BYU  0 5. Drake 0 6. Liberty 0 7. Morehead State 0 8. Southern Utah 1 9. Toledo 1 10. Belmont 0 11. Abilene Christian 0 12. GA State 0 13. UCSB 0 14. Sam Houston 0 15. UNCG 1 16. E. Washington 0 17. Wright State  0 18. S. Dakota St. 1 19. Buffalo 1 20. Colgate 2 21. Texas St. 0 22. E. KY 3 23. Akron 0 24. Weber St. 0 25. Prairie View 0 26. Missouri State 0 27. Cleveland St. 0 28. Furman 0 29. St. Mary's 0 30. Wofford 3 31. Kent St. 2 32. Navy 1 33. Vermont 2 34. Ohio 0 35. Grand Canyon 0 36. Loyola Marymount 1 37. Norfolk St. 0 38. Pepperdine 1 39. UC Irvine 0 40. Stephen F. Austin 1 41. UC Riverside 1 42. Bryant 1 43. Utah Valley 0 44. Bowling Green 1 45. Nicholls St. 1 46. Louisiana 0 47. Siena 2 48. Jackson St. 0 49. N. Alabama 1 50. UMBC 2 51. Mercer 1 52. Pacific 0 Valpo: 6
Gonzaga?

LOL!
At any rate, it is expected that up to 1500 players will enter the portal this offseason and it is near 400 at the moment. I realize you're a "you see, you see" type of poster however give it time. I'm not saying that Lottich is any good merely just that the transfer issue is one across all of college basketball...particularly mid majors....and ignoring that fact is ignoring the problem. As I said, Valpo has to get better at dealing with it. Of course, because of the "you see, you see" that needs to be included you completely skipped that part.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on March 12, 2021, 12:28:33 PM
The Crusader has now entered the Transfer Portal.  ::)

The Valparaiso Transfers?

Transfers make first Big Dance in 7 years

bbtds

Quote from: wh on March 13, 2021, 02:00:40 PMWhat if Eron had decided instead to take his diploma and move forward on his life's journey? Would that have been Matt Lottich's fault? Just asking for a friend.

Eron's brother, Eric, just got hurt and will be out 4-6 weeks from the Houston Rockets. I don't know who influences Eron in making decisions but there will probably be some very influential phone calls from a guy who dumped Illinois easily and played 1 year at Indiana.

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on March 13, 2021, 03:42:48 PM
Quote from: valpopal on March 12, 2021, 12:28:33 PM
The Crusader has now entered the Transfer Portal.  ::)

The Valparaiso Transfers?

Transfers make first Big Dance in 7 years

So as a requirement for our scholarships we should require a written pledge that every player enter the portal every year.  :thumbsup:  Crusaders out---Mercenaries in  ::)

valpotx

Quote from: wh on March 13, 2021, 02:00:40 PM

What if Eron had decided instead to take his diploma and move forward on his life's journey? Would that have been Matt Lottich's fault? Just asking for a friend.

Not sure why you are addressing this to me, as I explicitly said in an earlier post, that these transfers aren't on ML, but rather how the youngest generation views stability, and even tying it to what happens in the workplace.  Answering your question, no, I would not have blamed Lottich if Gordon decided to see if he would use the free year to level up, or just graduated and move into the business world.

Also, anyone remember what Wichita State went through last offseason?  How did they end up doing this season? ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Cleveland St in the mid-major top 25? 

I doubt we would finish top 5 in the HL. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 13, 2021, 09:52:21 PMCleveland St in the mid-major top 25? I doubt we would finish top 5 in the HL.

That's a bit of an exaggeration isn't it? Cleveland State did well in conference but they were horrid in the non-conference again. They also played a whopping 21(!) Q4 games to Valpo's 7. In terms of the NET Valpo's NET would have been 5th in the HL trailing Wright State Cleveland State NKU and UDM. And playing against this conference schedule as opposed to the MVC seems to suggest that Valpo would have done a little better if they were in the HL than they did in the MVC. I mean don't get me wrong we have absolutely stunk up the joint since joining the MVC but to say we wouldn't even be top 5 in the HL just seems off base to me.

Also ranking systems are pretty useless to be honest because all you have to do to be on them is win and it doesn't matter who you play. Belmont almost had a top 25 ranking and now won't sniff an at large bid after a few losses because all they did was beat up on a bunch of Q4 schools. Belmont played 29 games A whopping 28 of them were Q3 and Q4. The majority of them 18-10 were in Q4 And NONE were in Q1. And yet they were on the doorstep of the top 25 and are ranked 10 in this mid major poll despite being nowhere near the bubble.  The mid major top 25 is even more useless because it excludes a bunch of other teams.

wh

Quote from: valpotx on March 13, 2021, 07:04:34 PM
Quote from: wh on March 13, 2021, 02:00:40 PM

Not sure why you are addressing this to me, as I explicitly said in an earlier post, that these transfers aren't on ML, but rather how the youngest generation views stability, and even tying it to what happens in the workplace.  Answering your question, no, I would not have blamed Lottich if Gordon decided to see if he would use the free year to level up, or just graduated and move into the business world.

Also, anyone remember what Wichita State went through last offseason?  How did they end up doing this season? ;)

I wasn't addressing it to you. I was on the lecture circuit at the time I spotted your post, so I piggybacked on it to add support to a point I was making in a different post. I completely agree with everything you said in your post.

a3uge

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 13, 2021, 12:01:22 PM
From "Mens Mid Major Top 25" collegeinsider.com Ranking and the number of players in the transfer portal:

1. Gonzaga 0
2. Loyola Chi 0
3. Winthrop 0
4. BYU  0
5. Drake 0
6. Liberty 0
7. Morehead State 0
8. Southern Utah 1
9. Toledo 1
10. Belmont 0
11. Abilene Christian 0
12. GA State 0
13. UCSB 0
14. Sam Houston 0
15. UNCG 1
16. E. Washington 0
17. Wright State  0
18. S. Dakota St. 1
19. Buffalo 1
20. Colgate 2
21. Texas St. 0
22. E. KY 3
23. Akron 0
24. Weber St. 0
25. Prairie View 0
26. Missouri State 0
27. Cleveland St. 0
28. Furman 0
29. St. Mary's 0
30. Wofford 3
31. Kent St. 2
32. Navy 1
33. Vermont 2
34. Ohio 0
35. Grand Canyon 0
36. Loyola Marymount 1
37. Norfolk St. 0
38. Pepperdine 1
39. UC Irvine 0
40. Stephen F. Austin 1
41. UC Riverside 1
42. Bryant 1
43. Utah Valley 0
44. Bowling Green 1
45. Nicholls St. 1
46. Louisiana 0
47. Siena 2
48. Jackson St. 0
49. N. Alabama 1
50. UMBC 2
51. Mercer 1
52. Pacific 0

Valpo: 6

You're saying teams that are still playing sports don't have players leaving before sport ends? Who would have thought?