• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

nkvu

I seem to recall that the P-5 schools that recruited Alec Peters were looking for him to be a guy who stood at the three point line and got an occasional kick out three pointer.  Valpo got him by promising to develop his inside game so he could be a more complete player. I'm afraid that if JO goes to a P-5 school they will look at him as a bench player to be used when they need a three point shooter to get them back into a game. JO needs a lot of work to develop his inside game against D-1 level players.  I doubt P-5 teams will give him the opportunity to develop his entire game when they can recruit far more athletic bigs. At the same time I will be disappointed if he goes to another mid-major because I can't see him getting more playing time than he would have next year if he stayed at Valpo.  I wonder if he considers the motion offense to be a good fit for his game as it doesn't seem to give him as many opportunities to get his three off as other offensive schemes might. It will be interesting to see what his reasons are for transferring if we ever find out.

IrishDawg

Quote from: nkvu on March 25, 2021, 11:42:12 PM
I seem to recall that the P-5 schools that recruited Alec Peters were looking for him to be a guy who stood at the three point line and got an occasional kick out three pointer.  Valpo got him by promising to develop his inside game so he could be a more complete player. I'm afraid that if JO goes to a P-5 school they will look at him as a bench player to be used when they need a three point shooter to get them back into a game. JO needs a lot of work to develop his inside game against D-1 level players.  I doubt P-5 teams will give him the opportunity to develop his entire game when they can recruit far more athletic bigs. At the same time I will be disappointed if he goes to another mid-major because I can't see him getting more playing time than he would have next year if he stayed at Valpo.  I wonder if he considers the motion offense to be a good fit for his game as it doesn't seem to give him as many opportunities to get his three off as other offensive schemes might. It will be interesting to see what his reasons are for transferring if we ever find out.

Depends where he goes.  At a place like Wisconsin, they will definitely develop all aspects of his game (some of this is up to him as well), as schools like them and Villanova will post their guards up along with their bigs.  Plus, since he's just a freshman, I would doubt they or any other school would pigeon-hole him into a role and prevent him from developing other areas of his game.  Peters would have been more likely to have a certain role since it was a 1 year deal, and given that in his 1 NBA season he shot 3.6 times as many 3 pointers a game as 2 pointers, it seems like those P5 programs were right in a way.

vu72

Very troubling news.  These are comments from Jacob published in the Sheboygan Press:

When Jacob Ognacevic committed to Valparaiso to play NCAA Division I basketball in August of 2019 he cited faith as a factor in his decision.

The Sheboygan Lutheran alum entered the transfer portal Monday after completing his freshman season because sometimes even faith isn't enough.

"Throughout the year, a lot of little things added up. The school wasn't what I thought it was," Ognacevic said. "When I was recruited I was sold on something the school wasn't. Players weren't held responsible like I expected them to be, got away with a lot."

Despite appearing in all 28 games for Valparaiso, the 6-8 forward was ninth in minutes, but he says playing time was not a factor in his decision to enter the transfer portal.

"I saw and heard some things, on and off the court, which were alarming," Ognacevic said. "Everyone in our locker room saw the issues. We've got seven guys leaving, that's why we were so inconsistent."

Ognacevic declined to offer details on what those issues were, saying there wasn't any one thing but a variety of little things during his time on campus.

"With a year under my belt I'll know which questions to ask," Ognacevic said. "What's the food and living situations, offseason program and everything. I'll see if coaches are being real with me or if they're fake."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vok22

Quote from: vu72 on March 26, 2021, 10:45:56 AM
Very troubling news.  These are comments from Jacob published in the Sheboygan Press:

When Jacob Ognacevic committed to Valparaiso to play NCAA Division I basketball in August of 2019 he cited faith as a factor in his decision.

The Sheboygan Lutheran alum entered the transfer portal Monday after completing his freshman season because sometimes even faith isn't enough.

"Throughout the year, a lot of little things added up. The school wasn't what I thought it was," Ognacevic said. "When I was recruited I was sold on something the school wasn't. Players weren't held responsible like I expected them to be, got away with a lot."

Despite appearing in all 28 games for Valparaiso, the 6-8 forward was ninth in minutes, but he says playing time was not a factor in his decision to enter the transfer portal.

"I saw and heard some things, on and off the court, which were alarming," Ognacevic said. "Everyone in our locker room saw the issues. We've got seven guys leaving, that's why we were so inconsistent."

Ognacevic declined to offer details on what those issues were, saying there wasn't any one thing but a variety of little things during his time on campus.

"With a year under my belt I'll know which questions to ask," Ognacevic said. "What's the food and living situations, offseason program and everything. I'll see if coaches are being real with me or if they're fake."

I also remember clays dad posting on Twitter once "you have to hold your players accountable" or something along that line. Would really like to know the details here.

mj

What in the world is going on with that coaching staff?
I believe that we will win.

JBC1824

This program has become a joke.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

JD24

"Program" is the key and it's possible it is not a "has become".

bb33

Regardless of whether it is true or not,  it says a lot about the player who bashes his current team in the paper.  All he had to say was it wan't the right fit.  He can have a conversation with the AD about the actual reasons he left so they can be addressed.

It would be interesting to know why players needed to be held accountable.  What happened?   We will probably never know what is really happening.  This is the only transfer that caught me by surprise.  You also have to wonder what his expectations were compared to what he actually realized.  And this was a strange strange year.

JBC1824

Quote from: JD24 on March 26, 2021, 11:48:39 AM
"Program" is the key and it's possible it is not a "has become".

?

FWalum

Sounds to me like Jacob expected a Lutheran experience and that is not what he got. Unfortunately that does not surprise me.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

JD24

Quote from: JBC1824 on March 26, 2021, 11:57:54 AM
Quote from: JD24 on March 26, 2021, 11:48:39 AM"Program" is the key and it's possible it is not a "has become".
?
The kid referenced a number of issues....most of which have been brought up here at one time or another.

Top down. How invested is the University itself in the sports programs in general and basketball program specifically. I've never gotten the impression the board is and we have had at least a poster and maybe more than a poster chime in here that they are aware of and been in the position to be fully aware of the lack of interest the board has in the sports programs. This may be THE overall issue. This trickles down to a lot of the rest of the problem.

Facilities. If you've been to other campuses at the same level and even below the level the basketball program likes to think it is at, we're behind here. It's not just the Arc which, if a lot of the other stuff was improved could be used as the "charm" of the campus. Training facilities? Food and nutrition? Off season programs (which of course include both of those)? Housing? These are all a level down.
The AD? Is he and should he be the guy? I don't know but things have deteriorated over the last few years and there seems to be no stopping the bleeding. He could be simply doing what he's told. In that case he's the guy.

Coach and staff. Everyone or too many want to blame it all on the coach or even most of it. I'm not sure that's the case. He and they may certainly be an issue but too many look back 5 years and think of what was instead of what is.  The college basketball landscape has also changed in the sense that, as soon as something goes south for these kids, they're in the transfer portal. Also, what puts one kid who's unhappy about something into the transfer portal may not be the same issue that puts another kid in the transfer portal. Thus the kid who's upset, possibly, about his Lutheran experience may be accompanied by another kid who perceives an over focus on the Lutheran experience. I'm actually aware of this exact situation in one other sport some years ago. To listen to the parents of these two kids, you'd have thought they were attending different schools. The problem now is that the kid just puts his name in the portal instead of talking to the staff.

The final piece is the campus environment which, from a number of sources including a bit of observation myself, there isn't all that much enthusiasm for the basketball program or any other sport and this does go back to the end of the Drew years. I'm really not sure why this is but it is and has been discussed on this board.

So, anyone looking at this as a single source issue is going to be significantly disappointed when not much changes with the next guy in the door even if that is, in my opinion, likely called for at this point......yet won't be acted on at least right now.

JBC1824

Agree that the program's issues do not simply begin and end with the coach. I wish it were that simple. The overall situation seems quite bleak.

humbleopinion

Quote from: FWalum on March 26, 2021, 12:03:49 PM
Sounds to me like Jacob expected a Lutheran experience and that is not what he got. Unfortunately that does not surprise me.

When was the last time Valpo had a Lutheran coach?

I know it was a covid year, but I never saw Jacob in chapel.
Beamin' Beacons

vu84v2

There is nothing in what he said that was associated with religion or a Lutheran experience at Valpo. Lots of other concerning statements though.

JD24

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 26, 2021, 12:40:32 PMThere is nothing in what he said that was associated with religion or a Lutheran experience at Valpo. Lots of other concerning statements though.
I agree with what you say about what the kid was quoted as saying however....and this may be the writers interpretation or he simply left some of the players words:
QuoteWhen Jacob Ognacevic committed to Valparaiso to play NCAA Division I basketball in August of 2019 he cited faith as a factor in his decision.

So the writer seems to have walked away with the impression there was a faith, in this case likely Lutheran, issue.

valpotx

Quote from: JD24 on March 26, 2021, 12:49:42 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on March 26, 2021, 12:40:32 PMThere is nothing in what he said that was associated with religion or a Lutheran experience at Valpo. Lots of other concerning statements though.
I agree with what you say about what the kid was quoted as saying however....and this may be the writers interpretation or he simply left some of the players words:
QuoteWhen Jacob Ognacevic committed to Valparaiso to play NCAA Division I basketball in August of 2019 he cited faith as a factor in his decision.

So the writer seems to have walked away with the impression there was a faith, in this case likely Lutheran, issue.

Maybe someone else with specific knowledge will chime in on this issue, now that he has put this out there.  To me, I know that faith was a big reason that he selected Valpo, and he is unlikely to have gotten what he wanted on that side, from most of his teammates or other athletes.  I can never think of a time where religion was discussed while around my teammates.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

The operational sentence, which supported the premise that he was sold on Valpo being something it was not, was: "Players weren't held responsible like I expected them to be, got away with a lot." That does not sound like a religion issue, that sounds like a discipline (or lack thereof) issue.

Just Sayin

Huge difference between Lutheran ELCA and Lutheran LCMS. VU has drifted toward the liberal ELCA flavor over the years.

vu72

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 26, 2021, 01:35:59 PM
The operational sentence, which supported the premise that he was sold on Valpo being something it was not, was: "Players weren't held responsible like I expected them to be, got away with a lot." That does not sound like a religion issue, that sounds like a discipline (or lack thereof) issue.

Agreed. He went on to say that he is considering Green Bay and Milwaukee (among others), both obviously non-religious, because family could see him playing.  Here is that section of the article:

He's heard from two schools in his home state, the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay and UW-Milwaukee, along with Power Five program Virginia Tech.

Ognacevic isn't going to let himself be awed by hearing from teams from larger conferences.

"Would be really cool," Ognacevic said of transferring to either school in Wisconsin. "I'm really big on family and it'd be pretty sweet to have my family at every game."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

What is a "Lutheran Experience"?  Did he think he was going to be playing with all Lutheran players? 

Chitwood

I think some people are misinterpreting the article here. It says he chose the school because of faith, but that sometimes faith is not enough.

This seems to imply it was not a religious issue., but was unrelated to religion. I don't think anyone is going to leave Valpo because it's not Lutheran enough lol.

The school and staff was probably just not what he was looking for. It's as simple as that. It's unfortunate. But, this kind of thing happens all the time.

VUGrad1314

This isn't good no matter how anyone slices it. We recruit Wisconsin a lot. Bad press for the university or the coaching staff in this area is not going to help us at all especially when it's a rising freshman star who chose Valpo for perhaps the simplest best most wholesome reason possible: his faith. Something stinks here and I don't know if it's Lottich or something bigger but something needs to be done in light of this. Even with the transfer epidemic being what it is: 5+ transfers twice in three years is NOT NORMAL for a program especially one as respected as Valpo. Something is very wrong and I am sorry that I am so negative and pessimistic but I really feel like this better reflects the actual present reality of the situation than the sunny optimism that some are choosing.

JD24

Jon Rothstein today talking about the transfer issue and that there could be ultimately be between 1500 and 2000 in the portal and, if so, he expected that anywhere from 300-500 of those in the portal would be left without teams to play for or scholarships when it all settles. Also said it is going to make a bad situation for the mid majors even worse.

valpotx

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 26, 2021, 01:35:59 PM

Faith and activities outside of sports, can sometimes go hand-and-hand.  Again, I believe that patience is required here, before jumping to conclusions.  Once he announces the school that he is transferring, I can only guess that more specific reasons might come to light, from those that might know more to the story.  I have to believe that would be the same for Clay and Sackey.  Helm, Siggy, Mileek, and Nick, all make sense as is.   
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSERF

JO's public comments in that article really leave me with little to no faith in Lottich and Co.

These comments from him are really embarrassing and leave me with a bad perspective of Lottich. This coupled with Nick Robinsons decisions for leaving have soured me against Lottich's leadership. I have not been sold sold on his coaching ability, so this only adds to my distaste of his impact on the program.

Valpo basketball was a huge part of my undergraduate experience, with some of my best memories of Valpo related to the basketball program. It is in many ways heartbreaking to have to witness this implosion of something I did hold dear.