• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

crusader05

I would be worried if I was a freshman or sophomore in the portal just because most schools are going to be thinking about that extra year and want to keep balance in their classes.

If all of edwards, barrett and Jacob(or if we replaced Jacob with another freshman) stayed plus our 4 new guys that would put one class at 7 people with 4 years of eligibility left next year and then you have 6 more scholarships to spread over years 3-1. If I was a coach i'd want to replace  with either lights out home runs recruits if they'll have 3 or more years left OR people who will have no more than 2 years.  You're gonna want to bring in new players and in my mind better to wait and focus on a top recruit and make sure you have space for them in 2022/2023 than bring in an avg freshman/sophomore player and risk not having enough spots to bring more people in. There's going to be a backlog somewhere and at some point and I really think transferring is gonna get harder over the next year or two because there are going to be a lot of under recruited high school students to fill open roster slots.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on March 30, 2021, 02:17:10 PM
So the total is now 1043, already a head of the all time record set last year at 1026.  The good news is that we no longer have the most as Indiana State is at 8.

Of course, Indiana State's coach had already been placed in the transfer portal as well.  ;)

VU2014

Would love to land a guy like Cooper at Valpo. He struggled coming back from injury but a lights out shooter. I don't see us going after former MVC that are transferring directly from another MVC school.

I'm wondering what we'll do at PG. I think our only true PG is an incoming freshman which isn't ideal. Kevion is a shooting guard I believe

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on March 30, 2021, 04:11:54 PM
Would love to land a guy like Cooper at Valpo. He struggled coming back from injury but a lights out shooter. I see us going after former MVC that are transferring directly from another MVC school.

I'm wondering what we'll do at PG. I think our only true PG is an incoming freshman which isn't ideal. Kevion is a shooting guard I believe

A couple of freshman can play there but I've heard they want Eron or Sheldon to play the point.  Either of them will add a shooter and size which we have really lacked.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on March 30, 2021, 01:25:37 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 30, 2021, 03:33:33 AM
Quote from: FWalum on March 26, 2021, 12:03:49 PM
Sounds to me like Jacob expected a Lutheran experience and that is not what he got. Unfortunately that does not surprise me.

It does sound something like when certain Lutheran students don't like Valpo because their experiences with Lutheran schools is a lot different. One must always remember that there are two very different branches of the Lutheran church and some young people don't find that out until they get to Valpo.

Jacob MAY be looking for Div. 1 basketball with a conservative Lutheran experience. I'm not sure that is left in the United States. Valpo has changed over time.

Let me expound a little on my comment. I have been involved with Lutheran schools all the way from grade school, high school, university and seminary. At least here in a MSL, somewhat conservative environment, a student/athlete would expect a disciplined and respectful environment. Yes, that is changing as things get more progressive, but I would wager that JO's experience in high school was much more disciplined and potentially religiously structured than what he perceived to happen at VU. As has been said many times in commercials, it is all about perception.

Nail - Head

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on March 30, 2021, 08:08:10 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 30, 2021, 03:33:33 AMJacob MAY be looking for Div. 1 basketball with a conservative Lutheran experience. I'm not sure that is left in the United States. Valpo has changed over time

If he is looking for D1 basketball at a Lutheran university, He's down to Wagner as his only choice.

As Wagner is ELCA, not that closely associated anymore with the ELCA and on Staten Island which is nothing like Wisconsin, I don't think Wagner is the place for Jacob.

VU2014

It wouldn't shock me if he landed at Green Bay

bbtds

I'm thinking Concordia - Mequon Div. III might be what Jacob is looking for but at the same time if Div. I basketball is what he truly wants he may feel GCU, Baylor, Liberty, ORU, etc. are the schools for him and that the rest of the US is not as Lutheran as Wisconsin / Minnesota.

valpo95

Saw that three Syracuse players are entering the transfer portal, two with significant minutes. Freshman PG Kadary Richmond (who got three starts when Buddy Boeheim was out) would look pretty good in a Valpo uniform.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31167739/syracuse-orange-kadary-richmond-robert-braswell-john-bol-ajak-leaving-program

valpo95

Quote from: bbtds on March 30, 2021, 07:33:05 PM
I'm thinking Concordia - Mequon Div. III might be what Jacob is looking for but at the same time if Div. I basketball is what he truly wants he may feel GCU, Baylor, Liberty, ORU, etc. are the schools for him and that the rest of the US is not as Lutheran as Wisconsin / Minnesota.

We have very little to go on as to why JO left Valpo, so even suggesting Mequon is unnecessary. It sure seems that Div. I is in his future, though it could be closer to home.

crusader05

interesting quote from the Syracuse article:

"We're going to have to adjust to it and start recruiting in the transfer portal," Boeheim said. "Being able to transfer and play right away means if you have any issue at all, any issue, you're going to leave."

How do coaches adjust to a world where they don't have as much structure keeping the guys around to work through issues or concerns.

JD24

Quote from: crusader05 on March 30, 2021, 09:11:09 PMinteresting quote from the Syracuse article: "We're going to have to adjust to it and start recruiting in the transfer portal," Boeheim said. "Being able to transfer and play right away means if you have any issue at all, any issue, you're going to leave."
Coaches arent the only ones who'll have to adjust. Fans will also. Make sure these guys are getting that extra Three Musketeers bar because, if they don't, off they go.
QuoteHow do coaches adjust to a world where they don't have as much structure keeping the guys around to work through issues or concerns.
The $64,000 question.

a3uge

Say Valpo is a heathen university and JO starts every game and is the focal point of the offense instead of backing up a noticably lazy player who sometimes has more fouls every other possession, does he still leave?

Let it sink in that JO was 7th in minutes played but had the highest PER on the team, the most points p/40, highest FG%, and by far the most capable 3pt shooter. Who wouldn't feel burned riding the bench when your team loses 18 games?

Lottich hasn't pulled down 3 or 4 star recruits, or anyone near NBA-caliber. The recruits that turn out to be good have quickly transferred out. What are we doing here?

vu72

Loyola just joined the teams with a transfer.  Cooper Kaifes is in the portal.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on March 31, 2021, 09:00:35 AM
Loyola just joined the teams with a transfer.  Cooper Kaifes is in the portal.

That must be a misprint.  ;)

vuny98

Quote from: a3uge on March 31, 2021, 08:11:30 AMSay Valpo is a heathen university and JO starts every game and is the focal point of the offense instead of backing up a noticably lazy player who sometimes has more fouls every other possession, does he still leave? Let it sink in that JO was 7th in minutes played but had the highest PER on the team, the most points p/40, highest FG%, and by far the most capable 3pt shooter. Who wouldn't feel burned riding the bench when your team loses 18 games? Lottich hasn't pulled down 3 or 4 star recruits, or anyone near NBA-caliber. The recruits that turn out to be good have quickly transferred out. What are we doing here?
I'd argue his recruiting has been pretty good. However, his rotations and his reluctance to take minutes away from players who's play doesn't deserve it is one of my biggest gripes about Lottich. Sackey should not have played the minutes he did. Mileek should not have started, let alone starting over a kid that has actual promise like JO. Goodnews would have a big game one night and then sit the bench for most of the next game. I don't want a coach that will bench a guy from one bad night, but the issues with Sackey and Mileek goes back years. If I am Goodnews or JO, I may question my place on the team as well.

The more I think about JO's comments about accountability from Lottich, the more I think its maybe directed at one player in particular.

valpo64

For what it is worth, I believe one of JO's teammates at Sheb Luth  is at Concordia- Wisc(Mequon).  This whole transfer thing is  a total joke.  I think it has more to do with today's more immature teenagers,  perhaps excessive egos,  already "know it all" attitudes,  lack of building mature interactions with fellow students and coaches, among a slew of other things that are causing this mass exodus of today's college players including frosh through senior years.  In listening to the NCAA games it seems like EVERY team has at least one transfer getting significant minutes...and  these players come from a variety of schools both large and small.

The situation is very depressing and I feel sorry for the coaches going through this thing.  Let's not think that this transfer thing is so unique to Valpo...it is happening at all levels of competition and conferences, big schools and small and happens every year with many schools, from the MVC to the Power 5 conferences.  Lets hope we end up with some good kids coming in when the dust settles.

bb33

Did the transfer rule ever get changed?  The 1080+ and growing number of transfers obviously think they are going to be able to play right away.  The grad transfers will - which is why Mileek leaving makes sense. Go try something completely different. With the extra year for seniors next year, many schools may opt not to pick up transfers and expand their rosters purely from a financial perspective. Most mid and low majors are struggling financially. 

I also think some of these kids (JO especially) don't realize that smaller universities are doing the best they can.  But resources are slim.  I heard (complete hearsay) that Valpo has no extra athletic funds right now. Covid testing has hurt many programs  The players want MORE but the school doesn't have more to give them. I am sure they would if they could.

vuny98

Quote from: bb33 on March 31, 2021, 01:14:23 PMDid the transfer rule ever get changed?  The 1080+ and growing number of transfers obviously think they are going to be able to play right away.  The grad transfers will - which is why Mileek leaving makes sense. Go try something completely different. With the extra year for seniors next year, many schools may opt not to pick up transfers and expand their rosters purely from a financial perspective. Most mid and low majors are struggling financially. I also think some of these kids (JO especially) don't realize that smaller universities are doing the best they can.  But resources are slim.  I heard (complete hearsay) that Valpo has no extra athletic funds right now. Covid testing has hurt many programs  The players want MORE but the school doesn't have more to give them. I am sure they would if they could.
Assuming a good number of the Seniors take the extra year, you are going to have ~20-25% more players than a typical year. That means less opportunity, less spots, more competition. If you were on a team and had a good amount of playing time/positive outlook for the next year on the team, I would think long and hard before entering the transfer market. JO is a perfect example. He would likely get a good 20+ mins a game next year at Valpo. He's got skills, but any lateral/step up moves comes with it the risk that he will be fighting for his place on a team vs having it already somewhat secured.

wh

Quote from: vuny98 on March 31, 2021, 12:29:37 PM
The more I think about JO's comments about accountability from Lottich, the more I think its maybe directed at one player in particular.

I remember someone in an interview with Matt noting that he assumed Valpo hadn't experienced the same level of COVID issues that teams in larger areas with higher COVID rates were experiencing. Matt said yeah you would think that, but it turned out not to be the case. I would bet money there were "local" players (Mileek and Nick are top of mind) who didn't stay away from family/friends when they should have and had to quarantine for extended periods. Also, what was up with Ben being quarantined on multiple occasions? Did he go home when he should have stayed here? I don't remember fellow Canadian Daniel having any problems. Something never did compute with that whole never ending COVID MIA issue.

crusader05

Ben goes over his quarantining procedure in one of the Paul's podcast episodes.

There were several for travel but it sounds like exposure was also an issue.

I've heard that most of the team and coaching staff have had it at some point.

I do know that there have been high tensions across campuses because of frustrations at those who don't take precautions as seriously as well as difficulty balancing how much leniency may be required due to extra issues and stress around the pandemic. It wouldn't be shocking if those played out in a smaller scale within the locker room. COVID is one reason why i'm reserving judgement on everything until we see how next year goes but while it's easy to act like it's all the kids being able to jump ship the reality is we still have a high amount of players transferring with clear signs pointing towards perhaps inconsistency in applying accountability and that is on the coaching staff. Not saying they're responsible for every single transfer(my guess is Mileek and Clay were probably always out) but maybe there were one or two that would have been willing to stay if they felt more confidence in the staff or there wasn't added turbulence in the locker room on top of the added turbulence of the year.

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on March 31, 2021, 01:42:19 PMBen goes over his quarantining procedure in one of the Paul's podcast episodes.

I wrote to Mark L and asked about why volleyball players wear masks and basketball players don't.

Here is what he said:

The masks have to do with the NCAA testing recommendations.  Both men's and women's basketball are classified as high risk for COVID due to the proximity of the players from opposing teams during games.  The high risks sports are required to be COVID tested 3 times a week.

Volleyball is also considered a high risk sport, unless they wear face coverings.  Then they are considered a moderate risk sport.  This is because the teams stay on their own sides of the net and the interaction between players of opposing teams is significantly less than basketball.  Moderate risk sports are COVID tested once a week.

So three times a week is a lot of testing and if one tests positive they all have to quarantine.  I don't think Ben ever had it.

vu72

The sky is falling at Loyola!  There are up to two!  Baylor Hebb (a 3*) is in the portal!

vufan75

Quote from: vu72 on March 31, 2021, 03:40:59 PM
The sky is falling at Loyola!  There are up to two!  Baylor Hebb (a 3*) is in the portal!
I think at one point Valpo might have recruited this young man.

Upon further review, per Rivals he was rated 3 star PG. Valpo is shown as one of many schools who recruited him.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu72 on March 31, 2021, 03:40:59 PM

Add a third: Franklin Agunanne, a 3+ star junior out of LaLumiere
Beamin' Beacons