• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

vuny98

None of the schools listed for Edwards or Young are much of a step up. Most are lateral to a downgrade. Some are better teams sure, but its like saying moving from Northwestern to St Peters is an upgrade because the team had a better year. That being said, many may provide a better experience/fit or more playing time.

I hope Sheldon finds what he is looking for. I do think he was given every opportunity to be the star here. He had the third most total minutes on the team, third most field goal attempts, most three point attempts... had the ball put in his hands at the end of games several times. I don't think he should have came off the bench, if nothing else for optics, but he was certainly given plenty of freedom and opportunity from my perspective. But Lottich's system/coaching may have hindered him even if he was given the freedom. He's a good player, and will be missed.

I wish we got to see Young play, but hope he finds a good landing spot as well. If I were him, I would have gutted it out for another year, get some playing time and prove yourself before using up your free transfer. Right now he wont get many bigger schools looking at him and likely looking to move down a bit.

Woodward I'm not shocked at. With such a limited sample to see, it's hard to really tell how much upside he has.

I'm pretty confident that we can replace what we lost in transfers if it stops with those three. King, Krikke, Kithier are three good pieces to build around.

RS

Some interesting transfers from the daily count.  Murray State has 5 players transferring, Jayson Kent a 6'7 Fr is transferring from Bradley to Indiana State.  David Skogman a 6'10 RS FR from Buffalo ( hometown Waukesha WI ) is in portal. VU offered him 2 years ago. Averaged 8 Pts and 6.3 RPG also shooting 37.5 % from 3 point range. Bennett Vander Plas 6'8 Center from Ohio U ( hometown Ripon WI ) is transferring. Grad transfer who has scored 1594 points in his career at Ohio U. Might be worth a try getting those guys especially with our Wisconsin connections

RS

Agree with most of what's been posted regarding transfers. But The NCAA made it way too easy with the not having to sit out a year if it is your first time transferring.

valpo64

Other majors losing players to the portal:  Purdue, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Illinois.  Who is next to lose?  Something has to be done to change this rule.

vuny98

Despite the chaos it causes, I actually like the transfer rule allowing them to play without sitting if its their first transfer. Whether its a good move, or a selfish one, or a stupid short sighted one, the players should have the freedom to move to a new school like anyone else. Its a mess for sure, and if there is a way to improve it all the better, but it was the right move to make IMO. 

oklahomamick

ORU was in the sweet 16 a year ago.  They play offense!  They play in front of fans.  Better facilities.  Sounds like a step up. 

Same with GCU except no sweet 16, just a NCAAT last year. 
CRUSADERS!!!

humbleopinion

Murray State is up to six transfers; I wonder if any will follow their coach to LSU.  It seems that Prohm hasn't won over the team, or he is cleaning house to create room for players he wants to bring into the program.  The Racers' role in the MVC may be different from what had been anticipated.

Meanwhile The Racers' old coach, McMahon, has landed in LSU where there have been three transfers so far including Shaq's son, Shareef.
Beamin' Beacons

therevev

LSU has some Level 1 rules violations coming down on them so players will be looking for a more stable future elsewhere.

vok22

Quote from: vuny98 on March 28, 2022, 09:07:36 PMDespite the chaos it causes, I actually like the transfer rule allowing them to play without sitting if its their first transfer. Whether its a good move, or a selfish one, or a stupid short sighted one, the players should have the freedom to move to a new school like anyone else. Its a mess for sure, and if there is a way to improve it all the better, but it was the right move to make IMO.

I used to agree, but you have to remember they are students first. As a student, they do have the ability to transfer to another school immediately like everybody else. Has nothing to do with the fact their eligibility to play sports might be delayed by a year. 

usc4valpo

Sarcastically but in many cases realistically, I am not sure they are students first. Also, these are students on athletic scholarships.

If the world were beautiful, if the player has to sit out a year, then the new coach has to sit out a year. Players primarily come to school based on the coaching and program, and if that coach that recruits him or her leaves, he is stuck in an uncertain situation.

The solution is not easy.

Valpo89

Easy solution: If your coach leaves, you can leave without sitting out a year.
Otherwise, if you transfer, you have to sit a year just like in the old days.
I suppose there would have to be deadlines involved, which would make it more difficult.

vuny98

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 29, 2022, 11:31:27 AMEasy solution: If your coach leaves, you can leave without sitting out a year. Otherwise, if you transfer, you have to sit a year just like in the old days. I suppose there would have to be deadlines involved, which would make it more difficult.
Coach leaves
After your freshman year (should allow for them to reassess their choice from when they were in high school after having been in college/with that team and coach for a year)
If you red shirted that year and essentially sat out anyway
Grad transfer (as it always was)

I could get behind a free transfer with those restrictions. The freshman one allows kids that are in a bad situation or were sold a bill of goods by a coach that wasn't accurate a chance to get to a better situation. Mostly it will be guys like Woodward or Young that weren't getting playing time or not happy with their potential role with the team. They should get that opportunity to move. You'll loose a few of those standout freshman stars that have earned the right to play at a higher level, but mostly it will be the later.

mp91

Quote from: JD24 on March 24, 2022, 02:16:01 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on March 24, 2022, 11:04:23 AM"be somewhere that I can play my game". Said being closer to home not a factor in leaving. There for I take it he was not happy with Matt's scheme of play calling/system and how he was used
He didn't like how he was used when there were times, particularly early in the year, when I was thinking to myself "get his ass out of there"?

I'm all for a coaching change however some of these guys really need a dose of reality.

In terms of your "these guys really need a dose of reality" take, I think it's the exact opposite. I think these guys understand more than ever their "reality." If you're not good enough or don't believe the current system fits your best attributes, then going somewhere that is a better situation for you personally is actually a pretty mature and practical decision. It is certainly better than staying in a situation where you are unhappy and never play or never succeed and end up having regrets down the road. Might as well make the most of your college experience.

As for the transfer rule, maybe it's a millennial thing, but I like freedom of choice. You are only in college for 4-5 (maybe 6) years. So, why not go somewhere where you can best fulfill your college goals? I know it sucks from a fan perspective not being able to see guys develop and is rough on coaches not having continuity, but I would rather have players have more freedom than less. With a limited shelf life, they might as well have every opportunity to pursue their happiness.

JD24

Quote from: mp91 on March 29, 2022, 01:43:46 PM
Quote from: JD24 on March 24, 2022, 02:16:01 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on March 24, 2022, 11:04:23 AM"be somewhere that I can play my game". Said being closer to home not a factor in leaving. There for I take it he was not happy with Matt's scheme of play calling/system and how he was used
He didn't like how he was used when there were times, particularly early in the year, when I was thinking to myself "get his ass out of there"? I'm all for a coaching change however some of these guys really need a dose of reality.
In terms of your "these guys really need a dose of reality" take, I think it's the exact opposite. I think these guys understand more than ever their "reality." If you're not good enough or don't believe the current system fits your best attributes, then going somewhere that is a better situation for you personally is actually a pretty mature and practical decision.
I actually agree with your point. My point to the poster I responded to was, if this was the case with Edwards, I have no idea what he'd be looking for since he was given seemingly a lot of free reign particularly early in the year and I thought gummed up a good portion of it. Maybe his issues are other than at the basketball end and he is more interested in being closer to home in which case a lateral, at best, move makes sense. 

JD24

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 29, 2022, 05:19:40 AMMurray State is up to six transfers; I wonder if any will follow their coach to LSU.  It seems that Prohm hasn't won over the team, or he is cleaning house to create room for players he wants to bring into the program.  The Racers' role in the MVC may be different from what had been anticipated. Meanwhile The Racers' old coach, McMahon, has landed in LSU where there have been three transfers so far including Shaq's son, Shareef.
Murray State is losing KJ Williams and Justice Hill who are probably their best players.

chgovalpofan

Murray State is up to nine.  Complete rebuild for next year.  welcome to our world.

Open scholarships are still impacted by Covid as the 2021 and 2022s fight for a piece of the crowded space. Valpo can definitely be a beneficiary from the transfer portal, getting at least as much as we lose.  Love to see another Kevion or two to compliment Kobe (hopefully) and Ben. I'd be surprised if TK plays next year due to his back. 

Anyone have a crystal ball?

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on March 29, 2022, 03:11:25 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on March 29, 2022, 05:19:40 AMMurray State is up to six transfers; I wonder if any will follow their coach to LSU.  It seems that Prohm hasn't won over the team, or he is cleaning house to create room for players he wants to bring into the program.  The Racers' role in the MVC may be different from what had been anticipated. Meanwhile The Racers' old coach, McMahon, has landed in LSU where there have been three transfers so far including Shaq's son, Shareef.
Murray State is losing KJ Williams and Justice Hill who are probably their best players.

When we lost a bunch of guys last year, many were never meant to play D1 to begin with. Murray has lost (so far) four of their top five scorers and Williams would make Prim look bad. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Murray State apparently has 1 scholarship player committed for next season. Their top recruit bailed as well.

It will be a complete rebuild. Still like the add to the MVC but it might be a rough year 1. They rehired their old Coach who left them for Iowa State back in 2015, which is an interesting dynamic...

https://twitter.com/wyattwheeler_nl/status/1508903445193019402?s=21&t=CakvJZWw63nn8MX5hLvYAg

nkvu

So maybe a strategy would be to fill most of your open scholarships with transfers using their one freebie who might be more likely to stay if they would have to sit out to transfer again?  Let some other school deal with freshman drama and maybe look to have players for two or three years rather than hoping for four.

humbleopinion

I see that another Badger, Ben Carlson, is in the portal.  Can we send Trevor on a recruiting trip?
Beamin' Beacons

valpopal

One Edwards out and another Edwards in. Transfer Nick Edwards commits to Valpo:

Piledriver

More than 1,000 players in the transfer portal. Mind boggling. With 350-some teams that play D1 hoops, that's gonna be about 3 players per team, on average.

Another 850-some in the girls portal.

So we're in the neighborhood of 1,900 basketball players, total, in the portal. That's just D1.

Crazy.

valpotx

Interesting that he seems to have a high-flying and decent 3-pt style, similar to Sheldon.  The one difference seems to be that he looks to distribute, in addition to those other areas.
"Don't mess with Texas"

David81

Nice write-up on Nick Edwards in The Victory Bell tonight. An excellent pass-first but able to score guy in D2, with assist numbers seldom seen in college hoops. Maybe the successful Kevion "experiment" has opened up a one-year grad transfer path to VU for strong D2 players.

talksalot

Spent the Duke NC Halftime on Verbal Commits...

Valley School Transfer count as of 8:30pm Saturday 4/2:
Bradley Count   2
Belmont Count   2
Drake Count   1
Evansville Count   4
Illinois State Count   3
Indiana State Count   6
Missouri State Count   3
Murray State Count   10
Northern Iowa Count   1
Southern Illinois Count   2
UIC Count   5