• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2023

Started by VU2014, March 08, 2021, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

We are getting a VERY experienced young player who thrives playing defense!  Here is his personal statement:

PERSONAL STATEMENT
I have been playing basketball since 2010, in the city of Tartu, Estonia. I have been the captain of my team for my entire time in the club, also twice on the national team. 

Playing for the national team in the U16 European A-division Championships and for the main basketball team in Tartu have definitely been the biggest highlights of my career.  I have played in multiple international tournaments in various countries and also in the Estonian men's league, hence making me an experienced player. I am playing in 3 different leagues at the moment, one of them being the highest division in the country where I play against the best players in Estonia and Latvia.

I am looking for a  program that suits me both athletically as well as academically. Getting a good education is as important to me as playing. The school that I am studying in right now, ranked first among all high schools in Estonia in 2019.

Work-ethic, leadership skills, and a great basketball mind are the aspects that will surely help make an impact on your program. I am the defensive anchor of the team.  I believe I have what it takes to be a great leader for your team.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

Didn't think we had a "ghost" of a chance to get Kaspar.

VULB#62

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on June 08, 2023, 03:43:41 PM
Didn't think we had a "ghost" of a chance to get Kaspar.

Yes but is he friendly?

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 08, 2023, 05:27:42 PM
Two schollies left.

Anybody have any hot speculation?

tjjvalpo

What other offers did Kaspar Sepp have? I looked, but couldn't find anything.

Pgmado

Quote from: tjjvalpo on June 08, 2023, 07:59:22 PM
What other offers did Kaspar Sepp have? I looked, but couldn't find anything.

Details are in the latest article on TheVictoryBell.com

tjjvalpo

Thanks, Paul! Another great article.

wh

Quote from: justducky on June 08, 2023, 06:35:01 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on June 08, 2023, 05:27:42 PM
Two schollies left.
Anybody have any hot speculation?

Chairback earlier today:

"I wouldn't be surprised if more international bigs show up."

tiny707

Pgmado

I put this on Twitter, but thought it was interesting to share here.

The last group of five scholarship freshmen to join the roster was in 2013-14 when Alec Peters, Lexus Williams, Jubril Adekoya, Clay Yeo and Nick Davidson signed. The first, and only, time they were on the floor together came with 49 seconds left in second half of conference tourney loss to Milwaukee. They were on the floor together for five seconds before Peters committed a foul and Bryce brought four seniors in to close out the game. Yeo transferred after the season and that was that.

covufan

Quote from: Pgmado on June 09, 2023, 11:21:26 AM
I put this on Twitter, but thought it was interesting to share here.

The last group of five scholarship freshmen to join the roster was in 2013-14 when Alec Peters, Lexus Williams, Jubril Adekoya, Clay Yeo and Nick Davidson signed. The first, and only, time they were on the floor together came with 49 seconds left in second half of conference tourney loss to Milwaukee. They were on the floor together for five seconds before Peters committed a foul and Bryce brought four seniors in to close out the game. Yeo transferred after the season and that was that.
While I hope we get a senior or two to fill out squad, I appreciate your attention to detail, as I hope we don't need these freshmen, but use them extensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

NotBryceDrew

Not a single "boom" of his has been a boom... a boom is a 4-5 star or top player in the transfer portal.

Pgmado

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on June 11, 2023, 02:21:52 PM
Not a single "boom" of his has been a boom... a boom is a 4-5 star or top player in the transfer portal.

Has Valpo ever signed a 4-5 star player? Has Valpo ever gotten a top player in the transfer portal? When you get the job in April and are forced to fill out a roster after 90 percent of the country has filled out theirs, I'd say any commit would be "boom."

rogerwilco

I thought Kenny Harris was a 4-star on some sites.

vu72

I would think a "Boom" would indicate a commitment/signing, not just an offer.

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu72 on June 11, 2023, 03:28:01 PM
I would think a "Boom" would indicate a commitment/signing, not just an offer.

It has been so far. I guess we need to be patient.
Beamin' Beacons

NotBryceDrew

When I hear boom I'm thinking a league shattering get... There are many other things you can say then boom. It should be reserved for a massive signing, getting commits with no other D1 offers just isn't a boom, full stop. Burton and E. Were both ESPN 100.

vok22

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on June 11, 2023, 03:32:45 PM
When I hear boom I'm thinking a league shattering get... There are many other things you can say then boom. It should be reserved for a massive signing, getting commits with no other D1 offers just isn't a boom, full stop. Burton and E. Were both ESPN 100.

And how did burton turn out? It appears to be garrisons thing to post boom when we get a signing. What do you want him to do, use a slightly less enthusiastic phrase? It would still mean the same thing.

I gave up on caring about recruiting rankings and after the Lottich days. If Powell can put use the players he recruits to play together and in a winning fashion, I am in.

I think it is promising that pretty much everybody we have offered has committed to us. That tells me that Powell knows exactly what he wants, and when he goes after what he wants, he is likely going to get them and sell them on his plan. Also, from TVB article the other day it seems as if recruits are already starting to feel a bond together. Not that that translates directly to winning, but a good sign for being this early.

VULB#62

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on June 11, 2023, 02:21:52 PM

Are you aware of any 4*/5* xfers or 23 HS grads out there that haven't yet signed and that we should be chasing?

wh

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on June 11, 2023, 03:32:45 PM

Our new assistant coach, who is under no obligation to tell the fan base anything, kindly gives us a heads up with every new recruit. Instead of expressing gratitude, or if you can't do that simply keeping your mouth shut, you start bitching about his use of the word "boom."

How about doing everyone a favor and zip it before coach Garrison decides to give us what you deserve - nothing. Better yet, do something constructive like many other posters do when we get a recruit and post an article or highlights for everyone's benefit.

Your friend, wh

Just Sayin

wh

Highlights from Sherman Weatherspoon's senior season at BCC.  1st team All-Montgomery County and 1st team 4A South after transferring to BCC for his senior year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmalwdkcoHU

wh

The common thread I see in our new recruits is speed, athleticism, and size. Add to that a charismatic coach driven to succeed and a bag of tricks from one of America's best head coaches, and I think we're off to a strong start.

As to 4 and 5-star players, or even established 3-star's with a ton of choices, Matt and Luke inherited a gold mine and left it in ashes. Roger is a strong believer, but as far as I know he can't perform miracles. Success breeds success, and success takes time.