• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

At STANFORD Wed Nov 17'th 7:30 Central

Started by justducky, November 15, 2021, 07:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjjvalpo

Ever since Lottich took over he and his coaching staff have been obsessed with +/- statistic and they make most of their substitution decisions based on that. I knew early on that Connor Barret was going to see very little action because in the six minutes he played in the first half he was -17 points, while during most of the game when Gordon was on the floor he was in the plus column, while ever other player was minus. At one time in the second half, Lottich had Gordon, Hedstrom, Young and Woodward on the floor; I don't remember who the fifth player was. At that time they were all at 0 or plus column. This statistic drives me nuts. I find it to be very random and doesn't meet the eye test. Connor played three more minutes in the second half and he ended up at -8. He must have learned his lesson and played better in the second half when he got in there-I don't believe it, but you can believe that Lottich does.

usc4valpo

In the words of Mike Ditka, statistics are for idiots.

mj

QuoteEver since Lottich took over he and his coaching staff have been obsessed with +/- statistic and they make most of their substitution decisions based on that.

If true, this explains quite a bit. If Lottich is just following the numbers, then I fail to see what value he is adding to the program. Can that even be considered coaching?

I know it's only three games into the season, but unless we have a major turnaround, I think Lottich is a dead man walking.
I believe that we will win.

Valpo Joe

Quote from: bbtds on November 18, 2021, 01:48:57 AM
Quote from: Valpo89 on November 17, 2021, 09:41:48 PM
My vote for a 1-6 November is shaping up pretty good.

I think Valpo will pull out one of the games in the Bahamas by 1 or 2 points when Anderson, Edwards, Taylor or Barrett has a good scoring game. The Beacons get 2 wins in November.

My vote for November 0 - 7 looks good :(

Valpo Joe

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 18, 2021, 06:27:03 AM
In the words of Mike Ditka, statistics are for idiots.

Here'e a stat for you Valparaiso now ranked #238 in the country  :o  How low can we go and think the program can be turned around ???

Pgmado

Quote from: tjjvalpo on November 18, 2021, 05:58:21 AM
Ever since Lottich took over he and his coaching staff have been obsessed with +/- statistic and they make most of their substitution decisions based on that. I knew early on that Connor Barret was going to see very little action because in the six minutes he played in the first half he was -17 points, while during most of the game when Gordon was on the floor he was in the plus column, while ever other player was minus. At one time in the second half, Lottich had Gordon, Hedstrom, Young and Woodward on the floor; I don't remember who the fifth player was. At that time they were all at 0 or plus column. This statistic drives me nuts. I find it to be very random and doesn't meet the eye test. Connor played three more minutes in the second half and he ended up at -8. He must have learned his lesson and played better in the second half when he got in there-I don't believe it, but you can believe that Lottich does.

While there may be a little value to this, I'd point to Preston who had the highest +/- of the exhibition games and he has yet to play in the regular season.

justducky

Kithier was banged up. Any word on him?

One slight positive was that Hedstrom looks more mobile with a bigger upside than my first glance conclusions. In the old days I would be looking forward to his development because of the eventual future payout in additional wins. Nothing against Joe but in this me-first, no penalty or obligation world of instant gratification I honestly don't know if concentrating on his development is a winning strategy? I almost hate myself for having to think like that.

oklahomamick

I don't see a W on the schedule until we play Trinity.  Trinity lost to UIC by 50
CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 18, 2021, 12:56:10 PM
I don't see a W on the schedule until we play Trinity.  Trinity lost to UIC by 50

Whew! It'll be a squeaker but it will be good to put up a W

Just Sayin

VALPARAISO
Points off TOs: 14
2nd Chance Points: 4
Points in the Paint: 20
Fast Break Points: 10
Points off the Bench: 14
Ties: 0
Leads: 0

STANFORD
Points off TOs: 23
2nd Chance Points: 7
Points in the Paint: 22
Fast Break Points: 6
Points off the Bench: 45
Ties: 0
Leads: 0

There are some positives in there I suppose over previous games.

Just Sayin

After watching this game, I'm impressed with Taylor Anderson.

I think he just decided that he's tired of losing, he's tired of passing the ball to someone who makes a bad shot.
He's probably thinking:

I'm sick of losing.
I know how to play this game and put up numbers so I need to be more selflsh and start taking it to the opponent and get to the line.
I'm going to start being a major contributer on this team rather than passing the ball all of the time, period.
This is ridiculous people. Enough of this losing.

I like the change in his play and his attitude and his reaction to always losing. He should keep it up.

wh

Quote from: tjjvalpo on November 18, 2021, 05:58:21 AM

+/- is a meaningless statistic over a 6-minute span, which I'm sure is your point. It's even of limited value looking retrospectively over the entire game. For example, if a bench player has a better +/- than the player ahead of him, did he perform better or did he have more possessions against back-up players. There are a hundred other scenarios like that would render a +/- comparison useless on a micro level.

That said, over time +/- becomes a far more reliable indicator of which players are making the greatest impact when they're in the game. For example, if I were to go back and look at the Ryan Broekoff seasons, I would expect to see Ryan with probably the best +/-. Offensively, he was a great scorer and drew a lot of opposing team fouls. On the other end he was a great defender and rebounder. He was also a great teammate, completely unselfish and just as happy with an assist as a basket (sometimes to a fault).

crusader05

QuoteI think he just decided that he's tired of losing, he's tired of passing the ball to someone who makes a bad shot.
He's probably thinking:

I'm sick of losing.
I know how to play this game and put up numbers so I need to be more selflsh and start taking it to the opponent and get to the line.
I'm going to start being a major contributer on this team rather than passing the ball all of the time, period.

I like the change in his play and his attitude and his reaction to always losing. He should keep it up.

One thing I said to to a friend was that the team feels like a bunch of players who have been role players waiting for the star to come in and help them. There is no star coming. Noone is going to carry this team away to victory, even if Krike gets back soon it's not gonna happen. Either some players need to step a bit more ie Taylor and some players need to realize it's on them to make more things happen and start playing like no help is coming.

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusader05 on November 18, 2021, 03:42:35 PM
QuoteI think he [Anderson, not Taylor]just decided that he's tired of losing, he's tired of passing the ball to someone who makes a bad shot.
He's probably thinking:

I'm sick of losing.

One thing I said to to a friend was that the team feels like a bunch of players who have been role players waiting for the star to come in and help them. There is no star coming. Noone is going to carry this team away to victory, even if Krike gets back soon it's not gonna happen. Either some players need to step a bit more ie Taylor and some players need to realize it's on them to make more things happen and start playing like no help is coming.

Oops, I meant Anderson, not Taylor. My bad.

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on November 18, 2021, 03:45:41 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on November 18, 2021, 03:42:35 PM
QuoteI think he [Anderson, not Taylor]just decided that he's tired of losing, he's tired of passing the ball to someone who makes a bad shot.
He's probably thinking:

I'm sick of losing.

Oops, I meant Anderson, not Taylor. My bad.

I couldn't agree more. We've got 3 guards splitting time - Trevor, Eron, and Darius. I like Eron personally, but he has completely lost his way. He's just killing any chance we might have. Darius is a ball distributor and a freshman to boot. Trevor is going to have to score 12-15 points consistently and play very heavy minutes, at least until Kobe is activated and gets acclimated.

BTW I suppose Connor is also a guard. At this point I don't know what he is other than completely lost. It's 1 thing to be rusty, but he and Eron both look like they've never played college basketball before. WTF is going on with these guys? They look like they have COVID fog.

crusader05

Ironically, I knew you meant Trevor and that's who was in my head while typing even as I put Taylor. But I do think Taylor will also continue to step up as the season moves on as well.

vuny98

I am not going to over react just yet. Still missing arguably our two best players and we played three "decent" teams. The only one we were really out of the whole game was this one.

The poor shooting is concerning as that was supposed to be one of the big improvements from the last few years, but hopefully that comes along.

Its an ugly start for sure, but I still have hope. So much so that I actually put money on Valpo to win the conference (at +5000, knowing the two players we are set to get back, why the hell not take a swing). I know that's probably $20 down the drain, but hey a man can hope.

Just Sayin

Gordon is still hurting the team more than he is helping. Why the minutes?

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on November 18, 2021, 04:13:53 PM
Gordon is still hurting the team more than he is helping. Why the minutes?

Eron should be out and Slim in. Bahamas lineup 1-Trevor, 2-Sheldon, 3-Keyondre, 4-Kevion, 5-Thomas.

BTW, I now see if we lose game-1, we're only going to play 2 games instead of 3. Bummer.