• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Charlotte 12/11/21 @ the ARC 12 noon

Started by humbleopinion, December 11, 2021, 05:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

Some improvement today as our ball movement was better. We still use purposeless dribbles which allow the defense to rotate and match up. We do not send anybody to the offensive board. Corner and side shots should have a designated weak side rebounder. Our players watch the arc of the shot and retreat. Double team on Ben will be common. However, players must recognize this and create a passing lane and not remain stationary. Many little things to work on. Close games are won by execution of little things. At three seconds Valpo did not take a time out during the free throw to discuss made or miss options. I would like to see the 4 point play option Matt drew up in the time out? Times choosing not to cover the game. My subscription is up for renewal. Easy to make that decision.

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on December 11, 2021, 04:31:31 PM
Quote from: VUSERF on December 11, 2021, 04:00:38 PM
Yikes. NWI Times did not want to cover a Valpo basketball game? Is that a regular occurrence or is it relatively recent?

That seems like a really bad look for our program.

You'll notice that the Post-Trib has stopped covering Valpo altogether. Has much more to do with staffing than it does anything with Valpo basketball, although I'm sure a Portage/Chesterton game gets more clicks, and if we've decided that page clicks are the thing that matters, then here we are.

Are you the only reporter in the postgame conference nowadays?
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: Old Timer on December 11, 2021, 05:18:59 PM
Some improvement today as our ball movement was better. We still use purposeless dribbles which allow the defense to rotate and match up. We do not send anybody to the offensive board. Corner and side shots should have a designated weak side rebounder. Our players watch the arc of the shot and retreat. Double team on Ben will be common. However, players must recognize this and create a passing lane and not remain stationary. Many little things to work on. Close games are won by execution of little things. At three seconds Valpo did not take a time out during the free throw to discuss made or miss options. I would like to see the 4 point play option Matt drew up in the time out? Times choosing not to cover the game. My subscription is up for renewal. Easy to make that decision.

Good points from top to bottom.

On the brighter side, it was an exciting game to watch, and we did a lot of good things. We're not there yet, but I see good things ahead - this year and next. I really like our guys. They are all about team. Not a selfish player in the bunch. Good things happen to good people. Onward and upward!

Chairback

There was a point in time valpo never lost at the arc.   If they did it was shocking and a major upset.  It just never happened.     

The Atmosphere was so fun.  Crazy and entertaining half time shows (unicycle guy), students attending, timeout  contests, the band coming out to do the player intros, the flame juggler. 

All of that is gone.  Very sad. 

valpo tundra

It's one thing for the Times to not cover an afternoon non-conference game for a team that is struggling. If there is not a front-page article with photos for the Valpo Women's Volleyball team who is playing for a National Championship at home with a player who is likely to break the NCAA career record for digs, that is another discussion.  As far as student support goes, please see my volleyball thread post.

Pgmado

Quote from: valpo tundra on December 12, 2021, 12:44:24 AM
It's one thing for the Times to not cover an afternoon non-conference game for a team that is struggling. If there is not a front-page article with photos for the Valpo Women's Volleyball team who is playing for a National Championship at home with a player who is likely to break the NCAA career record for digs, that is another discussion.  As far as student support goes, please see my volleyball thread post.

I had tickets to Green Bay/Chicago at Lambeau. I sold them so I could be at the game. There will be coverage.

covufan

Quote from: Pgmado on December 12, 2021, 02:05:07 AM
Quote from: valpo tundra on December 12, 2021, 12:44:24 AM

I had tickets to Green Bay/Chicago at Lambeau. I sold them so I could be at the game. There will be coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

I suspect that Kobe now holds the record for the longest 3 at the ARC!  An  amazing shot.  We are getting better.  Will it be enough to make a run in Valley play? 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Yikes. NWI Times did not want to cover a Valpo basketball game? Is that a regular occurrence or is it relatively recent?

You'll notice that the Post-Trib has stopped covering Valpo altogether. Has much more to do with staffing than it does anything with Valpo basketball, although I'm sure a Portage/Chesterton game gets more clicks, and if we've decided that page clicks are the thing that matters, then here we are.

I checked this morning's print edition of the newspaper, which has four local feature stories on the sports main page: a girls' cross country article, a girls' high school basketball piece, a prep wrestling report, and Paul's fine profile of Carin Avery and the women's volleyball team. Therefore, it appears the editors decided one story about VU sports was enough to bump coverage of the men's basketball game, which was mentioned briefly as a paragraph in the overall national "sports digest" section. However, I wonder if Valpo had won the game by one point due to Kobe's full-court shot at the buzzer rather than lose by one point, making it a memorable moment in VU basketball history and #1 in ESPN's Sports Center Top 10, whether the editors would have regretted their decision. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

usc4valpo

Valpo will continue to improve throughout the season and these guys are not even close to reaching their full potential.  The Valley is up for grabs.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on December 12, 2021, 08:58:47 AM

I checked this morning's print edition of the newspaper, which has four local feature stories on the sports main page: a girls' cross country article, a girls' high school basketball piece, a prep wrestling report, and Paul's fine profile of Carin Avery and the women's volleyball team. Therefore, it appears the editors decided one story about VU sports was enough to bump coverage of the men's basketball game, which was mentioned briefly as a paragraph in the overall national "sports digest" section. However, I wonder if Valpo had won the game by one point due to Kobe's full-court shot at the buzzer rather than lose by one point, making it a memorable moment in VU basketball history and #1 in ESPN's Sports Center Top 10, whether the editors would have regretted their decision. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

When an organization starts initiating nickel/dime-level austerity measures, it usually indicates severe financial distress. Making a decision to not cover a VU HOME men's BB game for the first time in decades is about as nickel/dime as it gets. Someone could have disabled the exhaust fan in the office bathroom for a day and saved more money than that.

valpo64

Yesterday's game definitely an improvement but we should have won this one.  Very disappointed in Krikke...NO rebounds!?  He stands around when a shot goes up and gets pushed around never working to compete for the rebound.  Come on, Ben...you are better than that.  I still believe that this team will be much better and very competitive as the season progresses.  UNCC' s shooting in the first half was unbelievable while our %age I think was 32%,  I think their 3-point %-age was 62%.  That is tough to beat.

valpopal

Quote from: Chairback on December 11, 2021, 05:36:03 PM
There was a point in time valpo never lost at the arc.   If they did it was shocking and a major upset.  It just never happened.     

The Atmosphere was so fun.  Crazy and entertaining half time shows (unicycle guy), students attending, timeout  contests, the band coming out to do the player intros, the flame juggler. 

Something like this?

Just Sayin

When Young made a long drive straight to the basket for an easy layup late in the game, Valpo defenders on the weak side were watching the guys they were defending and were not even aware Young was headed for the basket so they gave ZERO help to stop him or take a charge. Aren' t they supposed to keep an eye on the ball when they are defending? Seems like basketball 101.

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on December 12, 2021, 08:23:01 AM
I suspect that Kobe now holds the record for the longest 3 at the ARC!  An  amazing shot.  We are getting better.  Will it be enough to make a run in Valley play? 

Not sure about this point.  Greg Tonagel hit a shot against Belmont (I believe), the year before I arrived on campus.  There was a graphic on the court from where he shot, which was just about, if not further than, the shot that King made. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on December 12, 2021, 08:59:19 PM

Not sure about this point.  Greg Tonagel hit a shot against Belmont (I believe), the year before I arrived on campus.  There was a graphic on the court from where he shot, which was just about, if not further than, the shot that King made. 

I just rewatched it. Kobe let it go from our foul line so 84 feet I think.  This was what the NW Indiana Times reported after Greg's shot:

"The freshman guard from LaPorte heaved in a 60-footer at the buzzer Monday

night, lifting Valparaiso to an until-then uninspiring 71-68 win over Belmont."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

Quote from: vu72 on December 13, 2021, 01:27:26 PM

I just rewatched it. Kobe let it go from our foul line so 84 feet I think.  This was what the NW Indiana Times reported after Greg's shot:

What did the NW Indiana Times write about the Kobe King shot? I kid, I kid.

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on December 13, 2021, 02:14:29 PM

What did the NW Indiana Times write about the Kobe King shot? I kid, I kid.

What happened to getting this great new sports editor that you guys were raving about sometime back? Actually, I'm not positive it was you, but I'm giving you an opening if you want it. Or not. lol

wh

Does anyone know why Keyondre didn't play? Please tell me it's the thumb. I would rather not hear that he was available, but just didn't get it. IMO, he should be getting some of Kevion's minutes right now. I like Kevion, except for a couple of things. He is a streak shooter, ala some of our players from the recent past like Mileek. He plays agressive defense, works hard, but also occasionally gets caught flatfooted on a backdoor or switch. When that happens, he needs to come out. It's about acountability. That's one thing I admired about Homer. His teams played fairly soft defense in general, but if someone got caugth flatfooted and got beat, he immediately came out. It could have been Corey, BWood, Lubos, anyone.

Pgmado

Keyondre had a thumb injury. Saw him during warmups and he said he was out. I wondered aloud on latest episode of USH if this could be a long term thing in order to shut him down right at cutoff of redshirt deadline (nine games is typically the mark), but I think he'll be back and counted on for depth this season.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on December 12, 2021, 02:11:36 PM
Quote from: Chairback on December 11, 2021, 05:36:03 PM

Something like this?

Wow, that is sad. Our men's bb program has gone from kings of the Mid Con to kings of the Horizon League to dregs of the Missouri Valley.  We're the oldtimer who can't keep up anymore, and people are laughing behind his back.

This also comes to mind:

Pe·ter Prin·ci·ple
/ˈpēdər ˈprinsəpəl/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the principle that members of a hierarchy are promoted until they reach the level at which they are no longer competent.

BTW, this is why I deplore the "MVC expansion" thread. We have no moral authority - NONE - to express opinions about what's in the best interest of a conference in which we are clearly in over our heads. We have this year and next, with this group, and only this group, to turn this mess around, or we never will. Starting over from scratch with a new coach and a brand new crop of players in a dilapidated high school-level facility with a broken PA system and scoreboard and a gutted fan base is not an option. At that point, we go from bad to bottom, and its over permanently.

Chairback

WH, sadly you are correct.

Is there an accountable person assigned at Valpo to try to put a game plan together? 

Years ago I was asked to join a panel on The basketball experience at the ARC. There were some Great ideas that were brought up by everyone.  Some of it was low hanging fruit that was impactful. However not one was ever implemented.  It just died. Prof Boyd was the university lead on the panel.

There is so much Valpo could be doing with tickets and marketing.  An email game day or a few hours before the game does nothing. 

valpotx

The Tonagel shot graphic on the court was pretty close to the opposite foul line, as well, regardless of what that newspaper report says. Pgmado?
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!