• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Beacons vs Salukis 1/8/22 6 pm at the ARC

Started by humbleopinion, January 08, 2022, 07:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

The Salukis return to the floor for the first time since December 28, and it seems that both teams have enough healthy bodies to play the game.

The Salukis boast of strong defense and 3 point shooting:

https://siusalukis.com/news/2022/1/6/mens-basketball-plays-at-valparaiso-on-saturday.aspx

Beamin' Beacons

tjjvalpo

Does anyone know if we get Kithier back tonight? We need him.

Based on the article, we better:

Win points in the paint
Win rebounding battle

If we want to win!

Just Sayin

Sagarin Predictor picks Valpo to win by .83 factoring in HCA

Pomeroy picks So. Ill. to win by 1pt, 55% chance, factoring in HCA

My trial model for possible use for NCAA tournament picks So. Ill. to win by 2.583, given a 3.4-pt HCA to Valpo.

Edit:
Two other trial models
1. S. Il +2.3234
2. S. Il +2.191

wh

Quote from: tjjvalpo on January 08, 2022, 08:48:23 AM
Does anyone know if we get Kithier back tonight? We need him.

• I looked to see if it was mentioned in the pregame Times and PT articles, but found no such articles.
• I looked to see if Brandon asked Matt about it in this week's Valpo Weekly interview, but found no such interview.
• I looked to see if was mentioned in the pregame article on the Athletic Department website. I found a related tidbit, but no answer to my question:

"When Kithier returns, he figures to give Valpo a rebounding boost, as he has six or more rebounds in each of his last six games and leads the team at 6.5 per contest."

justducky

I'm still trying to recover from Northern Iowa. Should I bother to show up?

vu72

Quote from: justducky on January 08, 2022, 10:38:32 AM

I would hope so!  So many on this board are ready to throw in the towel after a bad lose.  I think it is WAY too early for that.  We beat an Illinois State team who took Wisconsin to overtime and that Wisconsin team subsequently beat Purdue!  It's college basketball and once in a while even very good teams poop the bed.  Remember we were without Thomas and Trey for that game.

As an example, I looked back at the 2014-2015 team that finished 28-6.  On December 6 we lost to New Mexico, by 17 AT HOME!!  Stuff happens.

Now, if we get blown out I'll be the first to panic but let's see how tonight goes.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: justducky on January 08, 2022, 10:38:32 AM

This is bigger than you. You have an obligation to be there to show this outstanding group of young men that you care about them. If that's not enough, think about all the loyal, hardline fans on this board who live outside the area, some in far distant regions of the country, who would love to be there in person. Be there for them.

wh

BTW, we have family visiting from Colorado who will be attending the game with us tonight. I didn't ask what they would like to do tonight. I simply told everyone here's the plan (alpha dog authority established years ago). I sent everyone a link to the Valpo ESPN page, so they could familiarize themselves with team and player stats prior to the game. We'll start the evening with a nice pre-game dinner and head over to the main event. What could be better?

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on January 08, 2022, 11:02:03 AMIt's college basketball and once in a while even very good teams poop the bed.

I think we did hit bottom but we landed with a thud! The play and the coaching at Northern Iowa set a new standard for all-time basketball nightmare memories.

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2022, 12:18:57 PMThis is bigger than you. You have an obligation to be there to show this outstanding group of young men that you care about them

Can I show up for the team while withdrawing my support elsewhere?

Quote from: vu72 on January 08, 2022, 11:02:03 AMNow, if we get blown out I'll be the first to panic but let's see how tonight goes.

So if we are down by 20 at half time I will find an usher rip off my mask and demand that I be physically ejected from the ARC! Maybe Paul can get a shot of it for a headline Times story about our rigorous Covid policy enforcement then sneak in a sentence about the game.

nkvu

Can't shoot and give up lots of points in the paint. Same old same old. Down ten at half. Can we come back or do we lose by 20+ again?

hailcrusaders

Quote from: justducky on January 08, 2022, 01:45:02 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 08, 2022, 11:02:03 AMIt's college basketball and once in a while even very good teams poop the bed.
I think we did hit bottom but we landed with a thud! The play and the coaching at Northern Iowa set a new standard for all-time basketball nightmare memories.
Quote from: wh on January 08, 2022, 12:18:57 PMThis is bigger than you. You have an obligation to be there to show this outstanding group of young men that you care about them
Can I show up for the team while withdrawing my support elsewhere?
Quote from: vu72 on January 08, 2022, 11:02:03 AMNow, if we get blown out I'll be the first to panic but let's see how tonight goes.
So if we are down by 20 at half time I will find an usher rip off my mask and demand that I be physically ejected from the ARC! Maybe Paul can get a shot of it for a headline Times story about our rigorous Covid policy enforcement then sneak in a sentence about the game.
Only an eight point deficit. No such luck.
Gotta score points, boys! Find a way!
#CrusadersForever

covufan

This is pathetic. They have five more turnovers and have a 10 point lead at halftime. Our defense of their two point shots is horrible. We continue to be out rebounded by a team we should beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyEIT777

Seriously, who is teaching these guys how to shoot? We can't throw a rock in the ocean!

Chairback

oklahomamick

Just give it some time.  Lottich could pull a little run off in arch madness and get another 5 year extension.  You know before another school steals him.
CRUSADERS!!!

vok22

Everything this program touches turns to brick.

Chairback

I love how their smaller guard continues to score down low. 

We have the talent.  This is what makes it so frustrating. 

covufan

Quote from: vok22 on January 08, 2022, 07:20:09 PM
Everything this program touches turns to brick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VUSERF

#LoserLottich

Clean house and end this miserable stain on the program.

valpolaw

The era of mediocrity except I'm not even sure we are mediocre anymore

AlaskaCrusader19

I have a very hard time seeing how this program starts to improve with Matt Lottich coaching it. This week has been horrible.

VUSERF

If things keep going like this, won't be long before chants of "Fire Lottich" should come from the stands.

I still hope he makes me eat my words, but I have little to no faith in this 3rd tier YMCA coach.

usc4valpo

vUSERF - dude, I doubt that will happen. I'm more worried about apathy toward the program with the fans and board.

valpotx

Quit going to the above the rim angle on key FTs!
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Nice comeback. Just good enough to lose close.  Again.