• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What will the Lottich spin be for losing to Chicago State?

Started by tiny707, November 16, 2022, 09:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 23, 2022, 05:35:05 PM
Quote from: mj on November 23, 2022, 04:12:17 PM30 point blowout to Samford. The team looked unmotivated and played without a plan. This isn't about wins and loses anymore. It's about a coach who is failing to do the basic parts of his job. He's lost his team. He needs to go.
Mj, succinct and well stated.  I did not watch, but I followed on LiveStat. It's interesting how the LiveStat black & white data almost provides a running analysis as the game progresses. Random thoughts as I sporadically checked in on the score: * From the tip-off, it appears that VU has never been coached to defend the 3pt arc.  Through the first 10 minutes or so Samford shot 75% on a bunch of chucks. Don't know if our 3ptrs were challenged but we shot not good there. * Our response to a growing lead by SU was 0.00% 3 pters, few rebounds (I think zero ORs ), and we allowed chippy layups. * Can't comment on any turnovers, but lost quite a few. Our fault or did their defense cause them? Don't know. * So what does this game say about our defensive game plan?  What major asset are we taking away from their offense?  Ah, the midrange jumper!  ................ nah, they hit those too. * Second half. They have doubled our score. Of course, we go to our slow-the-game-down strategy, play glue-like defense and work to always get good %age shots as we focus on crashing the boards at both ends.  But as they say here in Wisconsin: "er, no."  It seemed that almost every LiveState line was VAL ______ missed 3ptr, SAM Defensive RB. * Last 6 minutes, down by closer to 30 than 20. Of course, knowing we are out of it, let's at least use the moment as a coaching/learning moment.  Forget about the score. Be disciplined. Run our offensive sets (assuming we have those), work to get the ball in the paint and look for the kick-out mid range jumper. Let's see which bench players can defend. Hold your defensive shape. Make their subs work for every basket. * Er no.
Bud...I'll try a couple of these.

Under Lottich, Valpo has not been able to defend the 3 for whatever reason.

Too many teams seem to make it look easy on offense while Valpo either struggles to get a good shot and/or the designated 1 on 3 guy takes a shot he never should. There were a few guilty of this today.

There's no concern for the opponent to defend the point guard all that much. They are collectively less than a threat offensively.

Samford pressed and I can't say Valpo looked good trying to beat it. I don't recall massive turnovers because of it but the press is designed not just to turn a team over but to simply be disruptive and get them out of their offense. For a team such as Valpo, which doesn't seem to have much of an offensive gameplan, this is a problem.

The single most disturbing issue is the third game thus far that the team has been out of early. That's a problem which if it were to continue, I would move to those who say Lottich needs to be replaced now. That's if I'm not already there.

valpolaw

i guess now we need to start a new thread titled "what will be the Lottich spin for losing to Samford by 30" now

nkvu

Completely (thankfully) missed this game. Will catch games when I think of it, but not going to make it a point to watch. I'm resigned to Lottich finishing out his contract because Valpo has neither the $ nor the will to make a change earlier.  No desire to follow 300+ team.  Give me a reason to follow the team and I'll be there big time.  Don't see it now or foreseeable future.

AlecPeters101

I'm convinced valpo64 is Matt Lottich's burner account.

crusadermoe

Ben Krikke is my reason to watch. But he's my only felt connection to these teams of last year and this year. He has been a winner from day one, playing big minutes on the team that got to the MVC finals. That was impressive and signaled a big step forward.

It's tough to realize that we had soph JFL, FR Donovan Clay, and one senior Kiser, and lost them all after that season. Matt has never really recovered and the team has been a patchwork quilt ever since apart from Ben. With talent and continuity he led them to that strong ending.  Other than that I can't explain the downward trend that followed.  I wish I could because I like Matt.

Pgmado

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 25, 2022, 11:57:11 AM
Ben Krikke is my reason to watch. But he's my only felt connection to these teams of last year and this year. He has been a winner from day one, playing big minutes on the team that got to the MVC finals. That was impressive and signaled a big step forward.

It's tough to realize that we had soph JFL, FR Donovan Clay, and one senior Kiser, and lost them all after that season. Matt has never really recovered and the team has been a patchwork quilt ever since apart from Ben. With talent and continuity he led them to that strong ending.  Other than that I can't explain the downward trend that followed.  I wish I could because I like Matt.

Clay came back for another season. He insisted on playing on the perimeter despite being one of the best post players in the league. He wanted to shoot 3-pointers.

AB

Frazekas, Kiser, JFL....player coach. Understood how to run our offense. High IQ