• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Beacons vs Trolls

Started by VUSWIM08-12, December 06, 2022, 07:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

Feed isn't working for me, anyone else having issues? Lets get the bench guys some minutes...

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

tjjvalpo

Off to a slow start, might need to have the starters play 30+ minutes to win. I didn't bother to go to the game tonight. I am so annoyed with Lottich.

VUSWIM08-12

Is the no feed purposeful or an ESPN+ issue ??

truth219

FWalum

DM to PO and he says it's an ESPN+ issue.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Bradley and UNI games have the same message.

VUBBFan

Think it's an ESPN problem. A couple of other games are not streaming that should be. Including Bradley

VUSWIM08-12

Ok thx for checking ! Several 7pm start games aren't showing... well we're up on an NAIA team...probably at sweet 16 yr...

FWalum

VUSWIM08-12

valpotx

It's good to see Connor making some 3s in limited playing time.  If he gets that confidence built up, it could be a key for us in conference, to have a sharpshooter that gets 10-15 minutes per game
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSWIM08-12

Did anyone see the dunk by Bayu ? I know it's against Trinity, but wow that was one the most authoritative dunks I've ever seen out of Valpo player. Big upside when he finds his D1 legs IMO...

valpotx

So I kept hearing the last name Hudak for the Trolls, which made me wonder if he is related to Adam Hudak, who was our Valpo Football Kicker for a few years while I was in school.  I checked out his profile on their website, and he is from Lowell HS, Indiana, which is where Adam was also raised.  It does look like that is his father, so I feel old now :).  No one else probably knew Hudak, but he was even more of a trash-talking Kicker than Pat McAfee was as a Punter.  Especially when it came to intramural basketball or pickup games, he would be talking all game, and throwing up bombs from just inside half court, before it became popular with Adam Morrison, Jimmer Fredette, and then Steph Curry.  It's not a surprise that he ended up playing for Jason Hawkins, as JHawk and Hudak were common opponents of mine in those pickup games. 

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/lowells-dustin-hudak-learned-the-game-shooting-in-his-living-room/article_067cbe3a-481a-57e6-81ae-a9d02d9e1100.html
"Don't mess with Texas"

hailcrusaders

This is a big win for us. I don't care what level our opponent was at -- this team needs to build some confidence as they face the remainder of conference play. Let's hope they got some today.
#CrusadersForever

Old Timer

Edwards had a nice game. And his outside shot although a bit unorthodox, might be adequate in keeping the defense honest. He had 15 against Chicago State and saw limited minutes the next couple of games. It appears our ball handlers might be limited as Preston sat the whole second half with his shooting shirt on.

valpopal

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 06, 2022, 08:59:21 PM
This is a big win for us. I don't care what level our opponent was at -- this team needs to build some confidence as they face the remainder of conference play. Let's hope they got some today.
You really think success against the Trolls is going to build confidence for our next game against Ole Miss or will that undo the confidence again? I would like to think you were right, but I'm afraid that is fool's gold. In fact, while Valpo regarded this as a regular schedule game, even Trinity Christian only counted this as an exhibition on their schedule. If such games are helpful, VU could add a game against VHS, and at least the attendance would be better, since tonight the total in the crowd (1070) nearly dropped below 1000 to an embarrassing three figures! 

vu84v2

There were only two possible outcomes from this game - maintaining the same perceived level of quality in the program or further regression. The outcome, of course, was the former - but it did nothing to generate any excitement in the program.

AB

Only thing good about this game was getting players in offensive rhythm. Yes it's very obvious the fan base has lost interest and the ARC is dead. Winning cures that and or an exciting brand of basketball.
              If it Nick Edwards was auditioning to become the starting point guard tonight he won the job, granted against a bad team. His shot mechanics are not good but he's by far more capable of scoring from the the outside and attacking the hoop. Preston and Darious give you no offense. If the coach is interested in winning games, Edwards should get the lions share minutes if all things equal. Play Bayu 20 minutes a game, let him develop. Rebound and put backs. Most athletic player on the team. He should not be allowed to go one on one yet.
              Ole Miss will finish in the bottom 4 of the SEC this year. They have not been impressive at all and have defeated no one of worth. This is a game that Valpo could steal on the road, but officiating will be against us and Ole Miss is a very athletic team with one exceptional scoring guard Murrell. Won't be much of home court atmosphere. Thin crowd and Rebs could be caught cat napping. Valpo will need scoring from our point guards and get hot from 3 to have a chance. (checks notes, we are ranked 346th in team 3 point fg percentage in D1 out of 352) YO!

nkvu

Actually watched second half of this game. All I saw was we might be a pretty good NAIA team.  Now show me something against D1 teams. 

vufan75

"Play Bayu 20 minutes a game, let him develop. Rebound and put backs. Most athletic player on the team. He should not be allowed to go one on one yet."
---‐-------------------------------------------------'

Very much agree with this from AB's post. I watched Mr. Bayu shoot at the before game warmups and at the halftime warmups Sunday at the Murray State game. He has a lot of work to do on his jump shot. But you can tell how super athletic he is, etc. His role for now s/b as a slasher, drive to basket, rebound put backs, rebound, play solid D guy. The shooting improvement will come with lots of reps and hard work during the off-season.   I hope he continues to work hard and shows continued improvement at Valpo. He certainly has potential and a huge upside.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

tjjvalpo

Bayu defense is suspect, which is limiting his minutes. Edwards has the same issue and I believe it is why he is not starting. Frankly, I like him coming in off the bench to provide some scoring with the second unit. This is probably the other reason Lottich has him coming off the bench. If used correctly, he could one of the best 6th man in the conference.